Dmac - Mark 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dmac - Mark 2

Until last night's game I always considered McKenzie was an athlete playing football. He had many great qualities, but always seemed to lack football judgement which brought him undone.

Last night I saw a "footballer". What a quality game he played.

His career started ok, but he just seemed to stagnate and to not improve. Last night we saw massive improvement. We saw a new Dmac.

For a while now I thought that he would not make it. Last night Dmac put his hand up and proved me wrong and played his best all round game for the Saints yet.

If he can play like that from now on, then he may now have a long career.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
silverhalo
Club Player

Re: Dmac - Mark 2

He was sensational and really seems to have turned the corner!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Good post.

I thought he played well against GWS as well.

His disposal has also improved out of sight.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

His 2019 was very good (or was it 2018?)

Last night he was very good

Played a few good games this year

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 10:50am His 2019 was very good (or was it 2018?)

Last night he was very good

Played a few good games this year
Top 10 in the B&F from about 14 games in one of those years.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Pleasing

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

How does that saying go...from adverstity comes opportunity.

I'm loving the DMac story, proving the doubters wrong is what we love about the sport.

Gears, Paton and Long have handed him a gift and he's having a red hot crack, maybe we do have some depth of quality.

Come on Longy, let's see what you are made of son, try and push DMac out of the side, personally I think you have a fight on your hands.

Actually just on Longy, his next best chance at getting a spot back might come from Hunter and/or Coff.

But this thread is about DMac, well done and keep going.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 10:36am Until last night's game I always considered McKenzie was an athlete playing football. He had many great qualities, but always seemed to lack football judgement which brought him undone.

His career started ok, but he just seemed to stagnate and to not improve. Last night we saw massive improvement. We saw a new Dmac.

For a while now I thought that he would not make it. Last night Dmac put his hand up and proved me wrong and played his best all round game for the Saints yet.

Those forum members who posted derogatory comments about McKenzie, Webster and Ross in the match thread should be ashamed of themselves this morning.

spiral3
Club Player

always liked aspects of Dmacs game, thought he was criticised more harshly than deserved at times.
he has defeciencies for certain in decision making and skill but he has always had great courage, strong aerial ability, and a desire to win the contest that far exceeds many of his team mates.
Yesterday's game showed increased confidence balanced with an understanding of his limitations skill wise. Kicked safe and didn't try to dash too much. I wouldn't want to see him playing on crafty small forwards but like him in that defensive linking role, using his endurance, marking and competitiveness to win the ball and get it moving.
Great to see, well done Dan!

well done to Jimmy Webster too, significantly better performance than his previous game

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Has been played out of best position, judged harshly when absolute stars in good sides have played well against him and not given the benefit of consistent selection; career was severely disadvantaged by the Covid hub circumstances. Then came Ratts and DMac is rewarding the faith. All good; from poor memory Dan was a taken with a prize draft pick. I know it is a correlation not a cause but he has been prominent in our two wins. Glad he has persevered with the Saints and not blossemed elsewhere.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I always thought that his disposal was the thing that made him unplayable

McKenzie in term of endeavour, fitness and work rate has been close to elite from the start. He had his pants pulled down a few times by faster opponents but for developing players that happens and they learn from it

He was an absolute liability for a time turning the ball over +++ and costing goals
Modern footy is all about keeping and controlling possession and capitalising on opportunities

It’s a very noticeable improvement so far this year and really highlight his strengths

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

If it came down to a selection decision between McKenzie & Geary who would we choose?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 12:19pm If it came down to a selection decision between McKenzie & Geary who would we choose?
May not be a factor this year given Geary's latest set-back.

This season no looks likely to be Geary's last.

Webster was the player in Geary's "traditional" role last night.

For this season I would like to see younger players preferred when possible. Bytel needs games to develop.

Dmac has now earnt the right for a solid run to show what he can do.

Dmac and Long may be the two players most competing for the one spot in the 22 at present.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

They are different players. Geary has the ability to be a lockdown defender which I don't think DM can. Mckenzie is a better option as a defensive minded linking player. It is more a comparison between Mckenzie and Long,. I would personally stick with DM as he goes extremely hard at the ball. Long seems to focus more on going hard at the player.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

DMAC was sensational last night, he was one of our best players. He is the classic late bloomer and didnt we need someone with his traits to come on. Its so great to see a player like himself get his opportunity and grab it with both hands!

Saints story of the year so far...

sks023
Club Player

Seemed to have a mature edge to his game last night
I will be watching him closely :o

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
carn_sainter
Club Player

DMac was bloody good against WCE. Many important touches and contests.

But to me he still doesn't look like a footballer. He has a very slow kick - literally the time it takes him to drop the ball onto his boot is like an extra step worth of time. I don't trust his kicking and I think he doesn't trust it either. It's slow enough to invite pressure - both on him as the kicker and on his target who might get closed out.

But his hands and his ability to be in the right place at the right time both were excellent against the eagles. Much credit to the guy. Lesser a bloke would have given up on his career after being the 33rd man on the list for 2 years or more, but he clearly has kept working and is AFL standard.

I'm not holding my breath, but look forward to seeing him live up to that performance consistently. Respect to his game.

hotdish
Club Player

McKenzie largely started on the wing last night and wasn't a lock down defender.

Could we see him used predominantly as a midfielder moving forward with Gresham and Hannebury out long term?

Hill played from half forward a great deal yesterday, so perhaps this will also be the shift that allows McKenzie onto the wing?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 1:21pm McKenzie largely started on the wing last night and wasn't a lock down defender.

Could we see him used predominantly as a midfielder moving forward with Gresham and Hannebury out long term?

Hill played from half forward a great deal yesterday, so perhaps this will also be the shift that allows McKenzie onto the wing?

Billings also played a lot of the game in the forward line.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

hotdish wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 1:21pm McKenzie largely started on the wing last night and wasn't a lock down defender.

Exactly, didn’t he play defensively on Gaff for a while

For a lockdown defender he was in our F50 an awful lot, no he was W or HFF

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 10:36am Until last night's game I always considered McKenzie was an athlete playing football. He had many great qualities, but always seemed to lack football judgement which brought him undone.

Good thread.

DMac worked hard all day and he was the spark that got us going. He was involved in all 3 goals that we kicked just before 3 quarter time, including 1 that he kicked himself.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

D-Train brings pressure and effort which can inspire team mates

Hopefully a watershed moment for him and the team

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Thought we held onto him longer than his use by date, but have been proven wrong.

Has assets we need, will be a replacement for Geary, with some added bonuses (speed, able to run through midfield)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 11:53pm D-Train brings pressure and effort which can inspire team mates

Hopefully a watershed moment for him and the team
D-Train! Love it. Another couple of games like Saturday’s and he’ll be a Moorabbin cult hero.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hang on, wasn’t it Richo’s fault we signed him on for 3 seasons?!

Now it’s not a mistake??

That must mean it’s the list managers kudos now then???