Ben Long Omitted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Ben Long Omitted

No way is Long an emerg.
You wait, *late change* Dmac out, Long in.
Like was said here, Hill useless, at least Benny has fire in the belly.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
sks023
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 8:09pm
B.M wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 6:44pm Form thing

He not playing that well, and he’s not very good.
But Hill who has been absolute sh1te...he's okay?
I mean on a scale of pathetic Hill is leaps ahead of Long. At least Long tries and doesn't stand around acting like he's at a risk aversion seminar or look like a seagull lurking around the beach hoping just perhaps someone will drop a chip and it falls his way so he can fly off with it....

That said, Long does need to work on composure and disposals lol.
Hill led the team in pressure acts last week so you might want to reconsider who's shite.

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Team

ace wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 6:54pm I find it hard to accept McKernan preferred to Hunter who has been dropped but I suspect Carlisle is going to be used as first ruck changing forward with McKernan.
Hunter provides nothing as a forward.
Wood provides an extra making forward.
I don't like McKenzie in for Long.
With Highmore dropped (a defender) then Carlisle will play CHB even though I wouldn't mind seeing him in the ruck. McKernan will be 1st ruck with chop outs from Wood and a bit of Battle maybe.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 8:17pm Hill has won a B&F and three premierships

So he has some runs on the board

Do you drop David Warner after a lean trot, knowing he’ll come good or do you drop Travis Head who can’t get past 40
Surely there's more to football than awards and accolades? I doubt Hill won a B&F on the form of the past two weeks. I also doubt he would have played in Premiership Teams on that form.

Yes, I would drop Warner on his form overseas. Not only is he a cricket bully, he's a cheat. Head is not an opener so a stupid comparison.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Long probably punished for the pointless head-high tackle at a crucial point late ln last week's game.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 9:27pm No way is Long an emerg.
You wait, *late change
* Dmac out, Long in.
Like was said here, Hill useless, at least Benny has fire in the belly.
Benny Hill was unfairly judged at the end. RIP

I’m sure he would have been a Saints fan.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

sks023 wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 9:37pm

I mean on a scale of pathetic Hill is leaps ahead of Long. At least Long tries and doesn't stand around acting like he's at a risk aversion seminar or look like a seagull lurking around the beach hoping just perhaps someone will drop a chip and it falls his way so he can fly off with it....

Hill led the team in pressure acts last week so you might want to reconsider who's shite.
Yeah, never been too sure about the "pressure acts"

Corralling – when a player guards space so an opponent is limited with run and where he can go;
Chasing – a player from behind and gaining ground;
Closing – a player down from in front or to the side of his disposal;
Physical pressure – when a player gets a hand to a player while he is disposing of the ball.

They say if a player has more than 15-20 pressure acts he has significantly impacted a game. So with 27 he must have totally influenced the game....show me how he did that?

7 turnovers, 3 contested possessions out of 21 possessions, zero goal assists, 2 score involvements, 1 clearance, 1 - 1%'er, 3 inside 50's...

I saw him chasing and gain ground but always too late, I saw him "almost" tackle and "almost" touch several players and he did get 4 tackles...he is actually a very smart player with incredible speed, agility and capacity. He can influence a game.
But he hasn't this year and only twice last year in my opinion. He's in his prime and cost us a fortune. He's at best 50% of his best year at Freo.
That's why I say he's playing sh1te... because he is...he doesn't have to, but for whatever reason he is....some say his brilliance was because of Fyfe. He only excels when someone else does the hard work and flicks him an easy possession to run off with...so far it seems possible but not confirmed.
If he doesn't start changing, impacting and influencing the outcome of games he's a bust.

Also, to counter my own attack on Hill, he has played in defence 80% of each game in Rd 1 & 2 which is not his best role, he's best when he pkays close to 50/50.

2019 Rd 1 was one of his best vs a pathetic Roos but still he had 24 pressure acts which led to 13 score involvements and 11 contested possessions, 4 intercept possessions. He's not getting that impact right now.

I WANT Hill & Long to rise up & be the incredible players I know they can be...Long hasn't had the opportunities yet and Hill seems to fit in but not actually fit IN yet. I'm hoping for the best.

sks023
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 11:09pm

Corralling – when a player guards space so an opponent is limited with run and where he can go;
Physical pressure – when a player gets a hand to a player while he is disposing of the ball.

They say if a player has more than 15-20 pressure acts he has significantly impacted a game. So with 27 he must have totally influenced the game....show me how he did that?

7 turnovers, 3 contested possessions out of 21 possessions, zero goal assists, 2 score involvements, 1 clearance, 1 - 1%'er, 3 inside 50's...

I saw him chasing and gain ground but always too late, I saw him "almost" tackle and "almost" touch several players and he did get 4 tackles...he is actually a very smart player with incredible speed, agility and capacity. He can influence a game.
But he hasn't this year and only twice last year in my opinion. He's in his prime and cost us a fortune. He's at best 50% of his best year at Freo.
That's why I say he's playing sh1te... because he is...he doesn't have to, but for whatever reason he is....some say his brilliance was because of Fyfe. He only excels when someone else does the hard work and flicks him an easy possession to run off with...so far it seems possible but not confirmed.
If he doesn't start changing, impacting and influencing the outcome of games he's a bust.

Also, to counter my own attack on Hill, he has played in defence 80% of each game in Rd 1 & 2 which is not his best role, he's best when he pkays close to 50/50.

2019 Rd 1 was one of his best vs a pathetic Roos but still he had 24 pressure acts which led to 13 score involvements and 11 contested possessions, 4 intercept possessions. He's not getting that impact right now.

I WANT Hill & Long to rise up & be the incredible players I know they can be...Long hasn't had the opportunities yet and Hill seems to fit in but not actually fit IN yet. I'm hoping for the best.
Why do you need to counter you attack on Hill? You said he was a shite pathetic seagull so go with it mate.
We shall see who's shite or not

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Team

Jacks Back wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 9:56pm
ace wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 6:54pm I find it hard to accept McKernan preferred to Hunter who has been dropped but I suspect Carlisle is going to be used as first ruck changing forward with McKernan.
Hunter provides nothing as a forward.
Wood provides an extra making forward.
I don't like McKenzie in for Long.
With Highmore dropped (a defender) then Carlisle will play CHB even though I wouldn't mind seeing him in the ruck. McKernan will be 1st ruck with chop outs from Wood and a bit of Battle maybe.
Will be interesting. Battle played a pretty good 2019 as a key defender and is named to play CHB tonight (not that you can read a lot into that).

Carlisle played in the ruck for Sandringham and reportedly was among the best (not that you can necessarily read a lot into that either).

As I see it, we don’t have a lot to lose by using Carlisle as a ruck/forward. He’s unlikely to be less effective than others used in that role this season.

Structurally we have been awful this season without Ryder and Marshall. It needs fixing ASAP, so Carlisle ruck/forward is worth a try I think.

bullmarket
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 7:15pm
The Fireman wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 7:06pmBad move
k.

Mind boggling that all three of Lonie, Higgins and Butler survived. Would rather have seen Long in a forward pocket
Totally agree

Lonie should have been omitted and Long played forward
Having said that, imho Lonie is a front runner and if the team get on a roll today he may well have a day out.
Longer term he is not the answer - simply too small and not enough talent to make up for his lack of height, weight and pace.

Long goes hard and tackles stick although not always legally executed.
Certainly his presence on the forward line would likely result in added spark and certainly have some defenders looking over their shoulders, thus providing a different dimension/vibe to the forward line.

To repeat my mantra - whilst Lonie is still getting a game, to me, it is a sure sign that this club will struggle.
He is simply not up to AFL standard

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

sks023 wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 11:46pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 11:09pm

Why do you need to counter you attack on Hill? You said he was a shite pathetic seagull so go with it mate.
We shall see who's shite or not
Nothings absolute except death, he is sh1te now, but has been really good and hopefully will rise out of his funk and be great!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 11:02pm Long probably punished for the pointless head-high tackle at a crucial point late ln last week's game.
Yep, and was one of the ball-bombing shallow delivery culprits that Ratts was going crook about I suspect.

lewdogs
Club Player

bullmarket wrote: Sat 03 Apr 2021 3:40am
skeptic wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 7:15pm
The Fireman wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 7:06pmBad move
k.

Mind boggling that all three of Lonie, Higgins and Butler survived. Would rather have seen Long in a forward pocket
Totally agree

Lonie should have been omitted and Long played forward
Having said that, imho Lonie is a front runner and if the team get on a roll today he may well have a day out.
Longer term he is not the answer - simply too small and not enough talent to make up for his lack of height, weight and pace.

Long goes hard and tackles stick although not always legally executed.
Certainly his presence on the forward line would likely result in added spark and certainly have some defenders looking over their shoulders, thus providing a different dimension/vibe to the forward line.

To repeat my mantra - whilst Lonie is still getting a game, to me, it is a sure sign that this club will struggle.
He is simply not up to AFL standard
Long played as a forward for years and was hopeless. Lonie is a much better forward.

Long's pressure last week was poor.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Seeings though we’re making things up to suit our biases, I’d like to go with the one about Lonie getting gifted too many games even though he doesn’t deserve them. And I’d like to add that he’s had more games gifted than Long and he’s been consistently poor as a small forward for more years than Long and can’t play any other position apart from small forward, so the team has been essentially carrying him. Lonie is a front runner

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t hate Lonie... great attitude and endeavour but in just not a fan of players who are reliant solely on getting on the end of a good play

Same reason I’m not a fan of Kent. When close checked they really don’t have an attribute to lean on other than saying doing something brilliant from a half chance

Now sometimes they do that but banking on that is a low % strategy IMO

Butler at least has breakaway speed and goes up the ground trying to break lines and Higgins is more inside and a stronger mark

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We’d probably be 0-2 if not for Lonie, whose tin-arse goal against GWS turned the tide.

IMO, having a mosquito fleet of small forwards makes us very dangerous.

Our problem last week I think was an awful lack of the sort of structure that Roma/Paddy would have provided last season.

Team selection seems to have addressed that, so let’s hope it does the trick.

sks023
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sat 03 Apr 2021 11:00am We’d probably be 0-2 if not for Lonie, whose tin-arse goal against GWS turned the tide.

IMO, having a mosquito fleet of small forwards makes us very dangerous.

Our problem last week I think was an awful lack of the sort of structure that Roma/Paddy would have provided last season.

Team selection seems to have addressed that, so let’s hope it does the trick.
We never really got the ball in deep enough last week for our small to be a threat .
More about our delivery than a lack of quality of smalls

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Butler at least has breakaway speed and goes up the ground trying to break lines and Higgins is more inside and a stronger mark
get Parker back (for Lonie’s spot)
with licence to hunt ‘n protect
Last edited by asiu on Sat 03 Apr 2021 11:56am, edited 1 time in total.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough. Long needs to get his head in order. That ump talk showed us that he is well and truly in their sights and will be getting the wrong side of the call, fair or not. Need to break it now. It's a wake up call. He'll be back, but if he can't keep himself in check he'll be a liability going forward.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
B.M
Saintsational Legend

“There’s more to football than accolades”

Football is about premierships, an ‘accolade’

Best and Fairests, AA’s and most awards are only won by good players!
Name the last dud Best and Fairest??

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

desertsaint wrote: Sat 03 Apr 2021 11:56am Fair enough. Long needs to get his head in order. That ump talk showed us that he is well and truly in their sights and will be getting the wrong side of the call, fair or not. Need to break it now. It's a wake up call. He'll be back, but if he can't keep himself in check he'll be a liability going forward.
Before I get branded as an ump-hater...
Umps always have favourites like Duckwood, Dusty, etc
and the ones they target, like Stevie Baker and now Long.
They're only human.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Preconceived bias?
Like stkilda is always hard done by the umps
Just had a very cursory look and dusty is on the negative side of frees for & against
Long not anywhere near the same "class" as baker

Seeya
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Conceivable that Lonie gets a game because he and King might find some synergy and work as a team? Butler seems to create his own ball - when he is in the mix and not missing in action. Lonie being smaller and lighter could be a traditional crumber for King given King seems to get pole-axed b half of the opposition.

I didnt see much footy until 2019 when Long was already on the outer on as a forward, and I accept that there is an understanding that he wasn’t much chop as a forward and was given another chance as a backman. And yet, it seems, he is now failing that too. What next, on baller?

I wonder if we would have liked to have had a Savage available right now?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Long is a very good footballer..he'll be back in the side or another team will grab him.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm surprised by his dropping, mainly because he played very well in Rd 1 so I thought he'd have a bit more leeway up his sleeve. Personally I would have dropped Lonie. Doesn't provide nearly enough. Has the occasional good game but his physical deficiencies mean that he struggles to impact the game with tackles, making a contest etc. If you're going to be that small you need to have skills and ball handling like Caleb Daniel. He doesn't