King out!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: King out!

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 8:30pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 8:21pm
Saintmatt wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 8:13pm Da fuq is he doing playing a public course?!? Jesus - that should also be outlawed. Get’s a bit loose out on the public links sometime.

Surely he could’ve got a tee time somewhere on the Sandbelt.

Can’t believe it. 👎🏼🤮
You're telling me mate. Look what happened the last time we teed off at Kingston Links LOL!
Gold!

Seriously - I’ve had my cage cleaned out a few times on public courses. But never once on a private course. It’s not being elitist; just from experience playing golf over 40 years.
Absolutely!!

Movies of the Kevin Sheldon era - the best!!!

Realistic, Ridiculous, funny and dark! What an era?

I wonder who Max was playing with. Hope it wasn't a Dick Chene shooting accident. Maybe it was his own club?....aha

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
BadRossco
Club Player

Just hope the ball didn’t also aggravate that dodgy ankle

The Billings Method
Club Player

Just to rub salt into the wounds, Max copped a two shot penalty.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 7:28pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 5:58pm Only St Kilda
Exactly. You just have to laugh.

Someone up there, down there or around here seems to have a permanent grudge against our club.

Dear me.
If it's someone up there then they may not be happy we have used the name "The Saints" and St Kilda which was never the name of a saint at all.

From the following article it looks like St Kilda Victoria was named after a boat, which was named after an island off Scotland which was actually misspelt and started of as Skildir, an old Norse word meaning 'shield.' This has been mis-recorded on a Dutch map from 1583, which has the name as Skildar. These same charts were revised and updated by the Dutch Government in 1592, Skildar now being misrecorded as S.Kilda.

As the Dutch were among the foremost seafarers of this time period, many other countries would base their own official charts on those of the Dutch. British chart makers who used this 1592 map as the basis for their own work, simply assumed that S.Kilda was an abbreviation of St Kilda, and recorded it as such themselves.

https://www.museumoflost.com/who-was-sa ... oe%20Yroke.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 7:00pm Carslile now probably the only forward option that allows us to keep some structure and allow our smalls to crumb at his feet.

R1 line up

Long Howard Wilkie
Coffield Highmore Sinclair
Clark Steele Hill
Butler Membrey Billings
Battle Carslile Higgins

Hunter Jones Gresham

Ross Mc Kernan Lonie Bytel
Good call. A chance for Jake to make himself useful
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 14 Mar 2021 10:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Premium89
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 7:00pm Carslile now probably the only forward option that allows us to keep some structure and allow our smalls to crumb at his feet.

R1 line up

Long Howard Wilkie
Coffield Highmore Sinclair
Clark Steele Hill
Butler Membrey Billings
Battle Carslile Higgins

Hunter Jones Gresham

Ross Mc Kernan Lonie Bytel
Mason wood? Though admittedly I haven’t followed him super closely over his years at North...

The Billings Method
Club Player

I just found out the truth about King's injury. He didn't get hit by a golf ball. Apparently, he did his ankle and then hit his head falling down the stairs at Hanners' sister's place, while playing frisbee with Jordan DeGoey's dog. Mystery solved.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 10:15pm

Someone up there, down there or around here seems to have a permanent grudge against our club.

Dear me.
If it's someone up there then they may not be happy we have used the name "The Saints" and St Kilda which was never the name of a saint at all.

From the following article it looks like St Kilda Victoria was named after a boat, which was named after an island off Scotland which was actually misspelt and started of as Skildir, an old Norse word meaning 'shield.' This has been mis-recorded on a Dutch map from 1583, which has the name as Skildar. These same charts were revised and updated by the Dutch Government in 1592, Skildar now being misrecorded as S.Kilda.

As the Dutch were among the foremost seafarers of this time period, many other countries would base their own official charts on those of the Dutch. British chart makers who used this 1592 map as the basis for their own work, simply assumed that S.Kilda was an abbreviation of St Kilda, and recorded it as such themselves.

My username is actually a reference to a speculative origin of the etymology of our club name. Thanks for the links.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 11:00pm

Dear me.

My username is actually a reference to a speculative origin of the etymology of our club name. Thanks for the links.
Sounds like their was nothing Saintly about St Kilda and that the Scottish religious fundamentalist thing ended up destroying the community when they sent out Gestapo religious nut reverends to tame the wild ones on the islands..forcing them attend lengthy masses etc.,

They even spoke their own language - a very old version of gaelic.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
minneapolis
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 6:51pm A golf ball injury, Fu**ing hilarious. :roll:

Actually, i hope he's OK.

What next ?
Ratts develops severe migraines and holes up in a dark room for three weeks.

Lethlean gets extreme canker sores and can't talk for a month.

Hamill loses all interest in footy and starts collecting stamps and butterflies.

Battle punches out Carlisle.

Bassatt walks away and opens a petting zoo in Byron Bay.

Gags goes moneyball.

And Steele quits football for a modelling career.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

So on Tuesday he did light running, then was limping around with ice on his ankle....it was definitely not healed yet. Then he decides to play fecking golf?

CarlD
Club Player

I'm beginning to think that Max's head injury came from Ratts giving him a clip over the ear for playing golf and not resting his ankle. :shock:

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 15 Mar 2021 5:51am So on Tuesday he did light running, then was limping around with ice on his ankle....it was definitely not healed yet. Then he decides to play fecking golf?
Second freak injury in two years to one of our players.

I know they have lives to live and they can't be at home in bed while injured at all times but would it be too much to ask that we don't lose players in freak Caddyshack-esque golfing mishaps and encounters with dodgy flights of stairs?

And this is also mine:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WTF. And some posters try to argue that we are not cursed.

Golf FFS. :roll: :roll:

To me that's a game played by selfish dead beat husbands and dads as an excuse not to spend quality time with their families.

Only saying. I f****** hate the game. More so now.

older saint
SS Life Member

My guess is eitehr Wood comes in and McKernan plays deep rotating in ruck or Carlisle .

As i guess Jake trained with the backs all pre seaosn wood most likely option

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I live in Canberra and I was planning to go up for the game, but am doubting whether it will be worth the drive with a third of our first 22 missing. GWS must be getting more and more confident by the day.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 15 Mar 2021 12:26pm I live in Canberra and I was planning to go up for the game, but am doubting whether it will be worth the drive with a third of our first 22 missing. GWS must be getting more and more confident by the day.
I think GWS have a few stars ruled out and also have lost 2 elite players in Cameron and Williams.

Pruess is out
Whitfield is out

It could even things out.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

good test for the lads. gives a few a chance to show something. ruck is the biggest issue.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 15 Mar 2021 12:26pm I live in Canberra and I was planning to go up for the game, but am doubting whether it will be worth the drive with a third of our first 22 missing. GWS must be getting more and more confident by the day.
Hahaha same here. Got my ticket just in case but I'm having second thoughts now.

Would rather sit through a thrashing in the privacy of my own home.

And this is also mine:
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

if we were to win this you would have to say we are the real deal,even a close loss would have us right up there.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Heard one of his playing partners shanked one off the tee and clocked him when he was standing next to the ball, rather than behind.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Imagine if it had happened to Paddy M. We might not be so sanguine.

You can lead a young man to potential riches and give him every thing in the world to be a success but you can't make him a professional (R. Harvey, extract from job interview).

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dear me.

St Kilda in Melbourne was named after an old wreck of a New Zealand ship 'Our Lady Of St Kilda' which was moored and abandoned there.

However, there is actually a Gaelic sporting club in Ireland called the ST KILDAS, and they play teams with names like NHMAITIU in County Sligo. I don't know much about them except that the area is a Gaelic speaking place (and yes, I have been there thirty years ago.) I asked an Irish friend of mine (who can't speak Gaelic) about the providence of those teams but he said that St Kilda isn't in Ireland at all and it doesn't make sense. I then showed him a picture of the scoreboard and he was surprised. He couldn't tell me about the other team either, but another mate of mine who can speak Gaelic did. It is a team called 'St Mathew' (NH means Saint or St in Gaelic).

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vazelos
Club Player

The ball was hit by one of our own players as well

The Billings Method
Club Player

CarlD wrote: Mon 15 Mar 2021 8:21am I'm beginning to think that Max's head injury came from Ratts giving him a clip over the ear for playing golf and not resting his ankle. :shock:
Nah. Roughy hit him with a wayward drive on the 4th. Standby. There is a rumour going around there is more to this than rolled ankles and stray golf balls. Lethers on the case. Pass the popcorn.