Pre Season Training

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Pre Season Training

Does anyone know when the 1 - 4 year players start the pre season? Is it next week?

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Pre Season Training

66Iwasthere wrote: Thu 03 Dec 2020 7:05am Does anyone know when the 1 - 4 year players start the pre season? Is it next week?
Next week I think it’s December 7th

One year will be our year
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Living in Japan where every thing is going a bit nuts again due to third wave,I just can’t get a sense of how things are in Vic now. Are you lot saying that training for Season 2021 is going to go pretty much to a normal schedule, like in a normal year?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
longtimesaint
Club Player

Except it’s all about a month later than usual

One year will be our year
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Monday

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 04 Dec 2020 6:27pm Living in Japan where every thing is going a bit nuts again due to third wave, I just can’t get a sense of how things are in Vic now. Are you lot saying that training for Season 2021 is going to go pretty much to a normal schedule, like in a normal year?
No new Covid cases for over a month in Victoria, so things are getting back to normal.
Zero new community cases nationally today too.

ie My daughter bf has started training with his surburban league club.

So yes looking at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... japan/over two thousand new cases per day.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yeah...I saw the news about zero new cases in Vic etc., but it just seems bizarre that things would be normal again..in terms of training etc. of course for me coming back for Christmas or even for the last rights of summer in Feb or March seem a long far fetching piece of optimism now..

vacuous space
SS Life Member

AFL Photos site has some photos from training, if you're into that sort of thing. Higgins wearing a number 30 jumper, but drinking out of a bottle with 22 on it, just to keep us guessing. Bytel has enormous arms; Alabakis is just enormous. King had something he needed to do at 1:45 - presumably call Ben to make plans for the 2022 season. That's about all I can gather from a bunch of training photos.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Mon 07 Dec 2020 7:49pm AFL Photos site has some photos from training, if you're into that sort of thing. Higgins wearing a number 30 jumper, but drinking out of a bottle with 22 on it, just to keep us guessing. Bytel has enormous arms; Alabakis is just enormous. King had something he needed to do at 1:45 - presumably call Ben to make plans for the 2022 season. That's about all I can gather from a bunch of training photos.
Thanks for posting that link. Other observations :
Max is starting to look like a beast.
Ben Long looks super fit and strong.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Mon 07 Dec 2020 9:17pm
vacuous space wrote: Mon 07 Dec 2020 7:49pm AFL Photos site has some photos from training, if you're into that sort of thing. Higgins wearing a number 30 jumper, but drinking out of a bottle with 22 on it, just to keep us guessing. Bytel has enormous arms; Alabakis is just enormous. King had something he needed to do at 1:45 - presumably call Ben to make plans for the 2022 season. That's about all I can gather from a bunch of training photos.
Thanks for posting that link. Other observations :
Max is starting to look like a beast.
Ben Long looks super fit and strong.
I like those new jumpers. 8-)

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Mon 07 Dec 2020 7:49pm Alabakis is just enormous.
Yep, Andre the giant is a seriously big unit.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 07 Dec 2020 10:27pm Image
we don't know if he can play as yet

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Max King needs to get his balancing arm out further. It's why he misses his set shots, its an easy fix.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

King and Coff pic are almost exactly at the same point of their kicking action, yet Kingy's balancing arm is not outstretched. Hilly's pic is a frame earlier in the action but you can see that his arm is heading outwards. I've been looking at the replays all season. It's a pretty consistent flaw in Kingy's action...as I said it's an easy fix.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote: Tue 08 Dec 2020 8:37am Image

Max King needs to get his balancing arm out further. It's why he misses his set shots, its an easy fix.
You'd have to think that that hook on his kicking foot is a bigger problem.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Tue 08 Dec 2020 8:04am
Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 07 Dec 2020 10:27pm Image
we don't know if he can play as yet
Have not seen him play.

Hopefully the fact they kept him on the list through the end of season player purge means he has something to work with.

At that size and athleticism if he could play he’d be a beast.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote: Tue 08 Dec 2020 8:37am
Interesting, I felt he leaned back too far and speared it when kicking from short range but looked more comfortable at distance where the pressure is off & he kicked through the ball.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 08 Dec 2020 8:57am
Leo.J wrote: Tue 08 Dec 2020 8:37am
Interesting, I felt he leaned back too far and speared it when kicking from short range but looked more comfortable at distance where the pressure is off & he kicked through the ball.
I agree, I reckon he tries to hard to direct the ball, bends his kicking leg a little and spears it rather than kick through it. In the picture above he is going to stab at the ball and his foot is not aligned through the drop off the ball. It's a fair chance of coming off the foot nicely but off direction. Good drop, good timing, poor alignment.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Is it an optical illusion, am I going blind, or does Kingy's right foot in the shot above look like it is slipping out of the boot?

I can't see any bootlaces either compared to his L boot.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Have a look at the games. His balancing arm doesn’t extend out, which puts him off balance at the point of contact.

The most reliable kicks are all slightly different in action, but have the key factors of a good ball drop and balance in common.

The thing that may account for King leaning back too far is that maybe he is aiming in the grandstand. So he’s aiming for a target 30-40m away 20m in the air. They don’t practice that at training and there is no other kick like that in the game.

Fwiw my advice to Kingy is get that arm out and pick a target at ground level. The rest will take care of it’s self.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Just my impression but Maxxy looks like he's added muscle.

Can't wait to see him next season.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Gershwin
Club Player

roskilde wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 10:11am
Just my impression but Maxxy looks like he's added muscle.

Can't wait to see him next season.
Hope it helps him to clunk those marks.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Sanctorum
Club Player

Max King would do well to emulate the successful routine for goal-kicking handed down to Richmond star CHF Michael Roach (1977 - 1989) by Royce Hart (1967 - 1977), scribbled on a piece of paper headed: "Goal Kicking Rules" that he had tucked away while he was playing:

1. Get back far enough from the man on the mark
2. Kick a spot to kick at behind the goals
3. Have a certain number of steps
4. Keep your head down until after you kick
5. Watch the ball onto the boot
6. Kick with enough power

And as other star FFs have stressed over the years, get out and practice, practice, practice - something that doesn't seem to happen so much nowadays, yet when you consider that in previous eras players did this when they played footy in between jobs, in this age of full time professional footballers there is no excuse to do this even more so today.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 5:28pm Max King would do well to emulate the successful routine for goal-kicking handed down to Richmond star CHF Michael Roach (1977 - 1989) by Royce Hart (1967 - 1977), scribbled on a piece of paper headed: "Goal Kicking Rules" that he had tucked away while he was playing:

And as other star FFs have stressed over the years, get out and practice, practice, practice - something that doesn't seem to happen so much nowadays, yet when you consider that in previous eras players did this when they played footy in between jobs, in this age of full time professional footballers there is no excuse to do this even more so today.
In those days they practised and played with the rest of their career in mind. These days, they practise and play with the rest of their life in mind.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 8:31pm
Sanctorum wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 5:28pm Max King would do well to emulate the successful routine for goal-kicking handed down to Richmond star CHF Michael Roach (1977 - 1989) by Royce Hart (1967 - 1977), scribbled on a piece of paper headed: "Goal Kicking Rules" that he had tucked away while he was playing:

In those days they practised and played with the rest of their career in mind. These days, they practise and play with the rest of their life in mind.
In those days they smoked at training and quarter time breaks, drank beer after the game and never strayed further than kicking distance away from goals.