Positive insightful BF post!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Positive insightful BF post!

Posted by Kingsman on BF trade thread -

"So, had a dinner with the family last night for the first time in months. Had a few beers with the neices squeeze who works in player management. A few interesting things came out.
Higgins had agreed to be a saint months ago apparently. Crouch as well, the drug bust really got us over the line with ratten ringing him up saying that it was ok and that mistakes happen. Real father figure.

Billings was offered a huge contract by essendon, didnt even look at it apparently. Says he is staying at the saints long term. They will be working on a deal for an extension after the cap is sorted and has is under no illusions that it will be significantly less than last time, has no issues with that.

Dunstan was shopped around, but no one wanted to take his contract on. Same with webster. Both happy at the saints as well and are looking forward to smashing it next year. Ready know its an uphill battle and have been having their own starts to pre season already apparently.

Butler (meant Lonie) was nearly at the dogs, then treloar happened. Unsure if he will sign the contract in front of him or look to be delisted. Carlton only had interest through PSD in him.

Also reckons Gags is the best in the business with list management, surprised as how little he has been in the role. Absolutely magnificent back house apparently.

The biggest one was not even about a player, it was about Lethlean. The AFL apparently approached him to head up a department in future planning. Told them a strict no, saints have given him a fresh start and he owes it to them to be here for the long haul. Incredibly happy in the environment here. Has been approached by numerous other clubs the last couple of years and they have been told the same thing.

We will have satan for a long time yet".

A great positive read and insight into our club which is kicking huge goals off field ATM.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 15 Nov 2020 11:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

diddley
Club Player

Re: Positive insightful BF post!

I’m assuming you meant Lonie was almost at the dogs, not Butler?

Otherwise, Great stuff. Very positive.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020 9:31pm I’m assuming you meant Lonie was almost at the dogs, not Butler?

Otherwise, Great stuff. Very positive.
One would imagine so otherwise what a scandal... first year Saint, fan favourite, hard to imagine any other move that would not only completely evaporate any good will over 12 months but lead to the fans burning Moorabbin to the ground.

Definitely Lonie

Trixilver
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020 9:24pm Posted by Kingsman on BF trade thread -

Billings was offered a huge contract by essendon, didnt even look at it apparently. Says he is staying at the saints long term. They will be working on a deal for an extension after the cap is sorted and has is under no illusions that it will be significantly less than last time, has no issues with that.
This is relieving for me. Mainly because he's one that is hard to read off-field and I'm never quite sure how he feels playing here. He may not have had the best year and has been known to tease, but he is a talent no doubt. Hopefully it will shine through when it needs to.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The stars lining up. Isn’t it nice to back at Moorabbin!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

:)

thats good isn’t it

the perfect bedtime read

lethers with his eye on the ball
is a barry bonus

good man

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020 9:24pm Posted by Kingsman on BF trade thread -

"So, had a dinner with the family last night for the first time in months. Had a few beers with the neices squeeze who works in player management. A few interesting things came out.
Higgins had agreed to be a saint months ago apparently. Crouch as well, the drug bust really got us over the line with ratten ringing him up saying that it was ok and that mistakes happen. Real father figure.

Dunstan was shopped around, but no one wanted to take his contract on. Same with webster. Both happy at the saints as well and are looking forward to smashing it next year. Ready know its an uphill battle and have been having their own starts to pre season already apparently.

Butler (meant Lonie) was nearly at the dogs, then treloar happened. Unsure if he will sign the contract in front of him or look to be delisted. Carlton only had interest through PSD in him.

Also reckons Gags is the best in the business with list management, surprised as how little he has been in the role. Absolutely magnificent back house apparently.

The biggest one was not even about a player, it was about Lethlean. The AFL apparently approached him to head up a department in future planning. Told them a strict no, saints have given him a fresh start and he owes it to them to be here for the long haul. Incredibly happy in the environment here. Has been approached by numerous other clubs the last couple of years and they have been told the same thing.

We will have satan for a long time yet".

A great positive read and insight into our club which is kicking huge goals off field ATM.
As my kid would say, cool.

8-)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Very encouraging. Thanks for posting.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Have things ever been this professional and good? Seriously

asiu
Saintsational Legend

They will be working on a deal for an extension after the cap is sorted and has is under no illusions that it will be significantly less than last time, has no issues with that.

this is good

our last run at it ,
by all reports
needed a little of the pencil pushers
working together with the coalface interaction

here it is
on display

better late than never

all of club ,
will drive us all the way ... no doubt about it.

go Sainters
good work

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

My fear is that these guys will end up getting poached by the bigger clubs.

They probably will eventually.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 11:20am My fear is that these guys will end up getting poached by the bigger clubs.

They probably will eventually.
Well hopefully we win a flag before they do :D

bakes
Club Player

I think the scary thing about Richmond is that they keep winning flags with so many "low profile" players that wouldn't demand too much money.

I doubt they are anywhere near having salary cap issues because players like Castagna, Baker, Lambert, Nankervis, Astbury, McIntosh wouldn't be breaking the bank.

Tiges might have a few flags left yet.

Saints will need to beware that the natural progression of Coffield, Clark, Marshall, Steele etc will mean their salaries will increase.

We wouldn't want to end up in a position like Collingwood, having to offload players.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The same source had a bit of info about Dunkley and his manager not being happy with the Bombers too. You'd hope it will help to make us an attractive desfination for players wanting a move.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Sanctorum
Club Player

bakes wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 1:12pm I think the scary thing about Richmond is that they keep winning flags with so many "low profile" players that wouldn't demand too much money.

I doubt they are anywhere near having salary cap issues because players like Castagna, Baker, Lambert, Nankervis, Astbury, McIntosh wouldn't be breaking the bank.

Tiges might have a few flags left yet.

Saints will need to beware that the natural progression of Coffield, Clark, Marshall, Steele etc will mean their salaries will increase.

We wouldn't want to end up in a position like Collingwood, having to offload players.
What Richmond illustrate so well is the importance of a very strong and positive team culture, starting with the players giving total commitment and respect to the coach as the guiding force to lead them to further success, backed up by a professional management team off-field.

As every AFL player says, he would give anything and everything to be part of a premiership team, above any individual trophy or financial reward.

I believe St Kilda are showing signs that this is now happening under the leadership of Andrew Bassat, Simon Lethlean and Brett Ratten - as formidable a trio as St Kilda has ever had! And as manifested by St Kilda now becoming a "destination club", which we haven't seen for more than 10 years.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Higgins is saying it was really only a recent decision from him, not months in the making, but who knows.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Andrew Bassat, Simon Lethlean and Brett Ratten
the circle under that lot are chocked full of talent
as well

nor forgetting the star and his crew
who looks out for health ‘n well being

its a tight ship

capable of ramming speed
one would hope

go sainters

Laurie
Club Player

Great post and insight .
Thank you for sharing.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to be the Grinch who stole Christmas, but I'm pretty sceptical about this post.

If it's all ridgy didge, I reckon the source would be in a great deal of potentially career-ending trouble today, as the poster gave a lot of clues as to his identity (used to work P-T in AFL media management, now working in "player management"). People in any business who are genuinely in a position to know for certain stuff like a a key employee being offered a contract on reduced money or a senior manager being offered a job elsewhere and knocking it back, are usually extremely careful about who they talk to about it, and are unlikely to spill their guts to their girlfriend's uncle, only for him to immediately go and post it on a public forum.

I suspect that the "information" about Lethlean and Billings is second- or third-hand gossip at best: or else is just made up. Most of the rest of the information provided in the post falls into the category of the bleeding obvious: of course the drug stuff made Adelaide keen to offload Crouch and for him to come to us, Lonie was close to going to the Dogs, nobody was much interested in Dunstan and Webster, Gallagher is good at list management, etc.

So, interesting, but most likely a work of fiction.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
asiu
Saintsational Legend

hey Grinch !

:P

hows it hanging ?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 3:35pm So, interesting, but most likely a work of fiction.
Give me that fiction above the ol SP66 baked beans & spaghetti trotted out ad nauseam.

At least effort has gone into it. Effort simply to share a feel good conversation, not effort to bait, disrupt or cause angst.

Besides, all that was said is very much past tense. Depending on what the Uncle does may make sharing some insights easier to do. It appears as if no codes were broken, IP abused or trust taken for granted.

We will know its worth with Billings' contract discussions, Dunstan & Websters attitudes and Lonie's next move.

I'll enjoy it until proved false.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Fact or fiction,happy to take it as fact ,untill proven as fiction

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 4:14pm hey Grinch !

:P

hows it hanging ?
Hey Gaz

It's been a very tough year for me due to the serious illness of family member (now very slowly getting better) and a difficult work situation, on top of the general embuggerance caused by the dreaded virus. But I'm hanging in there and hoping things will turn around in 2021.

And the efforts of the Sainters this year certainly lit up some otherwise dark passages.

Are you still up north?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
asiu
Saintsational Legend

yes
very happily supervising the bending of the banana
and the cooking of the pumpkin scone

work is a spectator sport
the three main food groups
coffee tobacco and chocolate abound

northern nsw is just down the road
if i get homesick
‘n need to talk to a hippy

10 thumbs up around here
give me more 2020 !!
luvving the Year of the Golden (gaz) Rat

good that health returns to your home
... sort of important that bit

blessings to you ‘n yours sir knight

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Thanks mate

Half your luck. My wonderful partner and I dream of retiring soon to an environment like yours: possibly a tad further north. General family health - along, of course, with money - will be a key factor in determining whether or not we eventually get there.

- Jonathan Swift