The Caldwell conundrum

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Caldwell conundrum

SaintPav wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 6:49pm The FA system is a load of s***.

The AFL need to fix it big time.
Yep, just helps the power/currently successful teams like Geelong/Hawthorn/Richmond

Needs to change, maybe cap the amount of players that are allowed to come in a certain time frame?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 3:06pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 8:46am
SaintJohno wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 9:00pm I would imagine that given the salary cap has not even been agreed by the players assoc. it would be a very hard time to negotiate right now. AFL argued for a 30% reduction in salary cap today (around 4mil out of 13.1) which would have made the clubs, players and their association do a collective vomit in their mouths.
The dramatic changes to the financial landscape will rapidly emerge about 30 seconds after the final siren on GF day.

The administration style controls on the assisted clubs are going to create a seismic imbalance and inequality that will hand the independent clubs an even greater unfair advantage.

I don't think we are going to be allowed to make the god father offers from our supoosed war chest that keeps getting reported.

And with the real possibility of 2021 also being an Asterisk year due to COVID restrictions continuing the AFL are crapping themselves at the thought of having to borrow more money to sustain the game.

This year's hub bill alone is $60 million.

Not a good time for players to be putting their hands out for mega deals. And we haven't even seen how hard the recession is going to grow yet. Many players could be dragged back to the same reality of average Australians and just be thankful they have a job.
Correct!!!! I have heard the "assisted" clubs will only be allowed to pay 80% (maximum), of the salary cap. This will be in operation for the next 5 years apparently and then increasing by 5% each year until it gets back to 100%. So in other words, we will be disadvantaged for the next 9 years.
Trolling a troll?

Trollception??

:lol:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 7:46pm
SaintJohno wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 9:00pm I would imagine that given the salary cap has not even been agreed by the players assoc. it would be a very hard time to negotiate right now. AFL argued for a 30% reduction in salary cap today (around 4mil out of 13.1) which would have made the clubs, players and their association do a collective vomit in their mouths.
The dramatic changes to the financial landscape will rapidly emerge about 30 seconds after the final siren on GF day.

The administration style controls on the assisted clubs are going to create a seismic imbalance and inequality that will hand the independent clubs an even greater unfair advantage.

I don't think we are going to be allowed to make the god father offers from our supoosed war chest that keeps getting reported.

And with the real possibility of 2021 also being an Asterisk year due to COVID restrictions continuing the AFL are crapping themselves at the thought of having to borrow more money to sustain the game.

Not a good time for players to be putting their hands out for mega deals. And we haven't even seen how hard the recession is going to grow yet. Many players could be dragged back to the same reality of average Australians and just be thankful they have a job.
Correct!!!! I have heard the "assisted" clubs will only be allowed to pay 80% (maximum), of the salary cap. This will be in operation for the next 5 years apparently and then increasing by 5% each year until it gets back to 100%. So in other words, we will be disadvantaged for the next 9 years.
Trolling a troll?

Trollception??

Has anyone seen Vortex and that pelican dude in the same room together?

🤔🤔🤔 :?:

Gershwin
Club Player

Trolling a troll?

Trollception??

You are so boring.

summertime and the living is easy ........
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 7:49pm

Trolling a troll?

Trollception??

You are so boring.
And it gets deeper!

:D

ace
Saintsational Legend

The AFL need to get the balls to stand up to AFLPA.
But they are only concerned about being woke jokes.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

It is simple to fix.
You can only take free agents from clubs that finish above you.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 7:11pm

Yes the biggest flaw of FA is that the club that gains the FA does not have to pay the trade cost to get them, and if their is a compensatory pick to the club that lost the player, that all clubs chip in.

So Cats could win the flag, and the Saints and all 17 clubs pay the trade cost to get him to the Cats.

It should be that if a club gains a FA (given the player to swap to the club of their choice, that that club gaining him should pay a points cost determined by an AFL Panel to be that players fair worth.

Update. Reading up on it now as Cat's salary offer is not high it seems that GWS will match, or that Cats will just have to agree in advance to a deal. Which from memory is what happened with Dangerfield.

Though the bad news for us is that it still means that GWS will have more cask to potentially keep Caldwell with.

Balancing that is that GWS:
- will still have abundance of star mids which may still keep Caldwell out of their best 22.
- be that bit less likely to be a power in 2021, which should make the Saints that bit ore appealing than if Cameron had of stayed

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPelican66
Club Player

We already have a handshake agreement with Caldwell. I thought everyone knew this?
Last edited by SaintPelican66 on Tue 20 Oct 2020 11:29am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 9:31pm We already have a handshake agreement with Caldwell. I thought everyone new this?
"knew" :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

older saint
SS Life Member

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 9:31pm We already have a handshake agreement with Caldwell. I thought everyone new this?
I have seen Jerry Maguire handshakes don't cut it - word strong as oak :D :D

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 20 Oct 2020 10:40am
"knew" :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
The K key didn't work. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Grand Father. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 8:20pm
saintsRrising wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 7:11pm

Yes the biggest flaw of FA is that the club that gains the FA does not have to pay the trade cost to get them, and if their is a compensatory pick to the club that lost the player, that all clubs chip in.

So Cats could win the flag, and the Saints and all 17 clubs pay the trade cost to get him to the Cats.

It should be that if a club gains a FA (given the player to swap to the club of their choice, that that club gaining him should pay a points cost determined by an AFL Panel to be that players fair worth.

Update. Reading up on it now as Cat's salary offer is not high it seems that GWS will match, or that Cats will just have to agree in advance to a deal. Which from memory is what happened with Dangerfield.

Though the bad news for us is that it still means that GWS will have more cask to potentially keep Caldwell with.

Balancing that is that GWS:
- will still have abundance of star mids which may still keep Caldwell out of their best 22.
- be that bit less likely to be a power in 2021, which should make the Saints that bit ore appealing than if Cameron had of stayed
And also that the AFL is heavily invested in GWS and will do everything in their considerable power to ensure he stays at GWS. They've already lost Hately from that draft - they won't want to lose another one from the same draft.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Laurie
Club Player

I think we can kiss goodbye of getting Caldwell at the club next year.
AFL will not allow it to happen.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 7:45pm

Yep, just helps the power/currently successful teams like Geelong/Hawthorn/Richmond

Needs to change, maybe cap the amount of players that are allowed to come in a certain time frame?
I know it is frustrating but if you become successful then the FA's will want to come to you. You quoted Hawthorn above but they have no chance of getting any good FA's now because they are s***.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Don't know that you can do that but there has to be some restrictions set for sure. How is it fair that Brisbane land Daniher and we lose a place in the draft and all other clubs for that matter.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
older saint
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Tue 20 Oct 2020 11:41am

Don't know that you can do that but there has to be some restrictions set for sure. How is it fair that Brisbane land Daniher and we lose a place in the draft and all other clubs for that matter.
If we are to have free agency then look at overseas and work form there.:
- Restricted and Unrestricted stands as is
- Compensation is removed
- Club salary cap position is public knowledge
- Player contracts years and value each year public knowledge

People will then be able to anticipate what may happen and potentially the cost of this . For example to know that if Geelong get Cameron it will mean they need to dump $300,000 salary for next season. People can then go hang on why not trade player X who has 1 year left and likely to test FA market to meet this .Clubs know this but supporters would then perhaps accept FA better and also show which clubs are best at it and which need to lift there game. often recruiters can get ripped for non performance, perhaps their hands are tied by poor contracts previously.

PA wont like it but if they want FA they will need to give or fans will keep getting more and more pissed.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Back to Caldwell, I hope he holds strong against the GWS list managers now Cameron is leaving. He will be under pressure to stay.
If we can land him, re-sign Paton we will have done OK.
Treloar would be a good inclusion but too expensive

Nee!
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Do we really want it to change now when we could be on the verge of being a possible top 4 club and a possible beneficiary of the flawed system?

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 19 Oct 2020 7:49pm

Trolling a troll?

Trollception??

Has anyone seen Vortex and that pelican dude in the same room together?

🤔🤔🤔 :?:
It's happening.....100% confirmed by an ITK on Bigfooty :mrgreen:

https://imgur.com/r/ronpaulshops/vwMin

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Rumours on BF reckon Jay is our boy.

See what happens.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

From an Essendon Support on BF
cAsEy_18, post: 67583955, member: 39374 wrote:
Won’t get into specifics, but good mates with a family member of his.

Told GWS yesterday that he wanted to “explore his options” (not necessarily ‘wanted to leave’).

But has today made a decision to join Saints and has informed them as such.

Not sure how long it will take to announce, but apparently wants to tell gws, Essendon (who we offering the most $$) and a few gws teammates first.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPelican66
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 10:07pm From an Essendon Support on BF

Told GWS yesterday that he wanted to “explore his options” (not necessarily ‘wanted to leave’).

Not sure how long it will take to announce, but apparently wants to tell gws, Essendon (who we offering the most $$) and a few gws teammates first.
Good stuff. Now that we have Crouch and Caldwell our rebuild is complete. Top 4 here we come!!!

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 21 Oct 2020 10:07pm From an Essendon Support on BF

I’m incredibly firm reading this development. God I hope so. Crouch for now; Jye for the future. All for the price of approx pick 20.

Fvck me ... imagine this happening 18 months ago 😳

Go you red, black & white warriors
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if Richo talks to Goody about the players the Saints are now bringing to the club compared to the ones they
got when he was coach.

He won't find it pleasing.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?