Chris Fagan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Chris Fagan

Since the inception of the AFL in 1986, not a single premiership coach has come from outside of the ranks of senior AFL football, every successful coach has been a past player in the AFL. For all I know this is also true in the VFL prior to 1986.

Although the Brisbane Lions have had a stellar season and are certainly in the "premiership window", Lions coach Chris Fagan, despite his obvious successful coaching career so far, has played all his 263 senior games with teams in the two Tasmanian Leagues.

Fagan is one of only a handful of senior AFL coaches in this category and I would think that he has real potential to make history by becoming the first to achieve the distinction of a premiership coach, but the odds, especially at age 60 next year, are overwhelmingly stacked against him....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Chris Fagan

Unimpressed with his press conference. He sounded very wish washy and not very ruthless at all. Probably didn't want to publicly bag his players out and while the private message might be somewhat different, he might be setting them up for future failure. Time will tell.

He was pretty dismissive when we played them earlier in the year as well. They nearly lost the game but he just said we should have wrapped the game up earlier.

He should have listened to what our coach said after the last game at the end of 2019.

They may have struggled in a normal year. They have a few ordinary players that were found wanting. I think this team is overrated.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 1:58pm Unimpressed with his press conference. He sounded very wish washy and not very ruthless at all. Probably didn't want to publicly bag his players out and while the private message might be somewhat different, he might be setting them up for future failure. Time will tell.

He was pretty dismissive when we played them earlier in the year as well. They nearly lost the game but he just said we should have wrapped the game up earlier.

He should have listened to what our coach said after the last game at the end of 2019.

They may have struggled in a normal year. They have a few ordinary players that were found wanting. I think this team is overrated.
They had a massive leg up this year and still couldn't get the job done.

The NRL has also had just as big a compromised season with the the two Grand Finalists not having to travel very far for Asterisk Cup games, they were treated very very kindly with regards to travel.

The gap year is almost over and I can't wait for full strength competition to start again...whenever that may be. And at all levels.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 1:58pm Unimpressed with his press conference. He sounded very wish washy and not very ruthless at all. Probably didn't want to publicly bag his players out and while the private message might be somewhat different, he might be setting them up for future failure. Time will tell.

Yeah, I could only take about 3 or 4 minutes of it. Even less for that arsewipe Scott. 2 minutes of him talking s*** was more than enough for me.

Wish someone would dime that see you next tuesday's lights. :evil:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I just thinking about the word 'ruthless' and wondering whether Ratts has that side to him. You definitely see it in Scott, Hardwick, Clarkson and other sucessful coaches.

You can see he is competitive person and passionate about his team, I guess ruthless comes in all forms. Either way he is a terrific choice of coach for our club.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of ruthless...
can't believe the number of Saints supporters wanting Banger as senior coach, when most Collingwood supporters want him gone as an assistant!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 5:34pm Speaking of ruthless...
can't believe the number of Saints supporters wanting Banger as senior coach, when most Collingwood supporters want him gone as an assistant!
Love banger but no thanks.

We will. stick with the one we have.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Oliver is not a fan of fagan's

In red white and black from 73
ace
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 4:43pm

They had a massive leg up this year and still couldn't get the job done.

The NRL has also had just as big a compromised season with the the two Grand Finalists not having to travel very far for Asterisk Cup games, they were treated very very kindly with regards to travel.

The gap year is almost over and I can't wait for full strength competition to start again...whenever that may be. And at all levels.
Has your mate guaranteed an AFL season in Victoria in 2021 ?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Someone has to take the blame for Collingwood's failure to realise the "cakewalk".
Can't be Collingwood players, Collingwood recruitment, Collingwood list management, Collingwood coach, Collingwood McGuire.
It must be the foreign assistant coaches.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

for some reason just because he is 'favourite son' he should be our coach. he is basically an introvert, and still 10 years in the public don't know how to speak in the ublic, ummns his way through any media.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I posted this before Ratts got the gig, and I’ll post it again for what it’s worth.

I did a coaching course at the Saints last year when Ratts was an assistant. Ratts and Ladey ran it, they were great. In particular Ratts spoke very well, communicated with everyone with ease, he was able to simplify the content so it was really easy for everyone to digest regardless of age, experience and gender. Which is very important when coaching at AFL level because you have to communicate with different demographics. He inspired me, I wanted to pull the boots back on at the end of it.

A couple of weeks later I did another one with the Collingwood assistants. Banger, Budda, Longmuir, and Boyd. I was lucky enough to have a pretty long chat with Banger about footy and coaching. One on one he was great, when talking to the group he was less effective as a communicator imo. The content of what he was explaining and the drills he did were awesome, but his presence as a speaker was not that of a senior coach I thought, a good assistant, but not a senior coach....yet.

Longmuir on the other hand communicated brilliantly. I left that course wrapped, having just been speaking with the great man, but believing that Ratts was the better man for the job. And that Longmuir was not far off a senior gig.