Coffield vs Clark

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Coffield vs Clark

Obviously both are great gets and should go on to be 200+ game players for us...

Let’s put it out there though.

Who’s going to have the better career?

I originally thought Clark. Pegged him as a future Lenny Hayes’esk type of Captain... gotta day though I am increasingly impressed with Coffield.

Shows a lot of poise, very daring and is pbly a bot more consistent. That’s my money. What do others think?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: Coffield vs Clark

Both haven't been properly tested yet and that won't come until they stand up in a final at the MCG in front of 100k fans.

Players who can do that are what we want. If one of them turns out to be that player then all good and well but if they both put thier hands up then its possible they will become premiership players.

stkfc1
Club Player

These two could be our Franklin/Roughhead equevelant. Different players obviously but just the effect it has on the club. Add Marshall,Battle, King, Gresh, Paton and co we have the young core group that could defintley see Top 4 in the near future. Very bright future ahead.

I'm making the call now. I reckon Coff may end up the best player on our list.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Coffield future skipper!

PADDLEPOP1000
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Too early to say but I'm impressed by both . Clark was better initially but I think Coffield has made up ground this year. Looks very composed & uses the ball under pressure better than Clark at this stage but what a problem to have 2 guns in the making lets just make sure we keep them

StPeter
Club Player

Until about 6-8 weeks ago I had Clark well in front and a future AA player but their form has gone in opposite directions this season.

Now Clark is struggling and maybe fortunate to hold his place in the team and Coffield would be in our top 4 or 5 players.

Long term both will be excellent players and the foundation of our team for many years going forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 10:52pm Until about 6-8 weeks ago I had Clark well in front and a future AA player but their form has gone in opposite directions this season.

Now Clark is struggling and maybe fortunate to hold his place in the team and Coffield would be in our top 4 or 5 players.

Long term both will be excellent players and the foundation of our team for many years going forward.
Clark was poor Sunday, I agree, but we’ve seen enough to know how good he can be. It’s just a matter of getting the consistency that comes with experience I expect.

Both are potential guns and it is too early to predict who will be better.

For the record, Hunter is age 21 and has played 40-odd games; Coffield is 20 and has played 30-odd. Impressive that they are this good this early.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 10:06pm Both haven't been properly tested yet and that won't come until they stand up in a final at the MCG in front of 100k fans.

Players who can do that are what we want. If one of them turns out to be that player then all good and well but if they both put thier hands up then its possible they will become premiership players.
Crikey. That logic is mind bogglingly bizarre.

What happens if Clark plays 100 magnificent games and does a Spida in a Qualifying Final and busts his collarbone when Coff has been in and out of the team but happens to stand up in 1 final.

On that logic - you’re telling me that Tom Boyd has a better career than Rob Murphy. Yeah?

Some players never get the chance to play in front of 100K ppl - does that make their careers less than those that do? On that basis - is Jason Gram’s career better than Barks’?

Go you red, black & white warriors
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Clark is off his game at the minute.
But we have seen Coffield move from fringe to absolutely core and he has got some way to go.
Starting to take them on and use that piercing kick.

Coffield ahead for mine.
Strong body, good leap and quick .

In two years and a bit more time in the gym he will be a beast

Nee!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 10:06pm Both haven't been properly tested yet and that won't come until they stand up in a final at the MCG in front of 100k fans.

Neither will be paying at the MCG before a crowd of 100,000 for a long time yet, I'm giving you the tip! I'll settle for them standing up before 20,000 at the Gabba.

Saint supporter since '62
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Depends.

The guy who likes to pop over to McDonalds or a kebab shop after 5-6 hours on the piss at a strip club or nightclub will not have a better career

In all seriousness, it's the athlete who takes care of his body with the right food intake, does all the right things with preparation before games, rest and rehab, and works hard to improve strength, flexibility and endurance.

If both have a balanced life outside footy and they both eat well and train well I'd pick Hunter

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 11:17pm

What happens if Clark plays 100 magnificent games and does a Spida in a Qualifying Final and busts his collarbone when Coff has been in and out of the team but happens to stand up in 1 final.

On that logic - you’re telling me that Tom Boyd has a better career than Rob Murphy. Yeah?

Some players never get the chance to play in front of 100K ppl - does that make their careers less than those that do? On that basis - is Jason Gram’s career better than Barks’?
Jason who? In 50 years time Tom Boyd's name will be the one that is remembered and revered and who's actions on GF day 2016 will be remembered over everything else Bob Murphy had ever done in his career.

Same goes for a few Geelong players and their actions on GF day in 2009. I'll bet you even now most fans would struggle to remember Jason even played in the 09 GF let alone anything he might have contributed on that day. Probably why the losers cry.

We don't want players who look like rock stars when skiing down hill, we want players who can stand up when the whips are cracking in finals matches.

That's when we should be judging players on this current list. Crickey they have achieved zero and you only have to listen to fans discuss how we can fall into the finals in a pandemic year to get a sense of how fragile our lot are.

So yeah loving how Coff N Clarke are coming along but I'm waiting a little longer to judge what type of players they are.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

What about that dud Bobby Skilton?
Didn’t prove his credibility in a big final.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
spert
Saintsational Legend

We're lucky to have two good young players like Coff and Clark. Coff is cementing his place in the backline, reads the play well and is a solid mark, but I think the coach is not sure sure how to use Clark yet. IMO Clark should be on a wing or on the ball and think his current form slump might just be above the shoulders, so hopefully Ratts will sort it.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 7:34am

Jason who? In 50 years time Tom Boyd's name will be the one that is remembered and revered and who's actions on GF day 2016 will be remembered over everything else Bob Murphy had ever done in his career.

Same goes for a few Geelong players and their actions on GF day in 2009. I'll bet you even now most fans would struggle to remember Jason even played in the 09 GF let alone anything he might have contributed on that day. Probably why the losers cry.

We don't want players who look like rock stars when skiing down hill, we want players who can stand up when the whips are cracking in finals matches.

That's when we should be judging players on this current list. Crickey they have achieved zero and you only have to listen to fans discuss how we can fall into the finals in a pandemic year to get a sense of how fragile our lot are.

So yeah loving how Coff N Clarke are coming along but I'm waiting a little longer to judge what type of players they are.
You understand Jason Gram was beaten in a countback for the Norm Smith in 09

And why so high and mighty on this discussion.. just having some chat on two of our young players

And both selected in the under 22 squad is pretty good reward so far. From little things ...

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 12:04pm

And why so high and mighty on this discussion.. just having some chat on two of our young players

And both selected in the under 22 squad is pretty good reward so far. From little things ...
Spot. On.

The OP was just a question as to who'd have a better career and ... here we are. Again.

Somehow old mate decided to morph Gram into Tom Boyd. My comparison was Gram and Barks. I loved watching Gram play footy and he stood up in big finals and yet, I'll take Barks' career all day; every day. Pretty disrespectful to Gram to say you'd struggle to remember he played in the 09 GF. And his diving spoil on the wing coming off his man late in the '10 draw would've become a thing of folklore in a winning GF.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I was there so there isn't much about that day I don't understand albeit I struggle to revisit it.

I really rate Coff N Clark, their recruitment has the potential to be the genisis of our next flag, but I make the point they could end up being around Billing's standard in 7 years so I'm just preferring to reserve judgment on what they might become for a little while longer, and especially until the Asterisk Cup is over and we get back to full strength comp and see how they have perfoemed over 5 to 7 years.

But enoying the chat on 2 very promising prospects in terms of building a bullet proof flag side.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 12:26pm

I was there so there isn't much about that day I don't understand albeit I struggle to revisit it.

I really rate Coff N Clark, their recruitment has the potential to be the genisis of our next flag, but I make the point they could end up being around Billing's standard in 7 years so I'm just preferring to reserve judgment on what they might become for a little while longer, and especially until the Asterisk Cup is over and we get back to full strength comp and see how they have perfoemed over 5 to 7 years.

But enoying the chat on 2 very promising prospects in terms of building a bullet proof flag side.
I think Coffield and Clark will end up being more advanced than Billings (who I don't think is a down hill skier like many) at the same age as they'll have more of their development years with better quality teammates around them to learn from and protect them. Jack (& Dunstan) had to do a lot of heavy lifting without much help when they were mere babies - it's a rare beast like Martin and Bont who can do the amazing very early on. Clark and Coff in contrast have been allowed to develop nicely as half backs and then hopefully move into the midfield as their bodies and confidence grow in their abilities - having learnt the right way to play and importantly - how to win. It's the same reason why I think Hannebery will be an invaluable resource for Bytel to learn from.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 12:49pm [

I think Coffield and Clark will end up being more advanced than Billings (who I don't think is a down hill skier like many) at the same age as they'll have more of their development years with better quality teammates around them to learn from and protect them. Jack (& Dunstan) had to do a lot of heavy lifting without much help when they were mere babies - it's a rare beast like Martin and Bont who can do the amazing very early on. Clark and Coff in contrast have been allowed to develop nicely as half backs and then hopefully move into the midfield as their bodies and confidence grow in their abilities - having learnt the right way to play and importantly - how to win. It's the same reason why I think Hannebery will be an invaluable resource for Bytel to learn from.
Top 8 this year, top 4 in 2021, 2022 for a flag is the realistic expectation for this list. If we pinch one before 2022 then that will be unexpected by everyone except rusted on Saints people but it would be most welcomed of course.

And that is about the time frame I see Coff N Clarke progressing to their own peek performance.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Both are great lads, Clark has reached higher individual game outputs, but Coffield has been more consistent over the season. If I had to chose I would go with Coffield because I think he is a bit of a smarter footballer.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Are you seriously suggesting that in 50 years from now Tom Boyd's name will be "remembered and revered" ahead of Bob Murphy?

Come off it SK - Bob Murphy is a absolute Bulldogs club legend, widely admired and highly respected by both his peers and the broader football community, Tom Boyd will be a mere footnote in comparison to the great Robert "Bob" Murphy!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 5:08pm

Are you seriously suggesting that in 50 years from now Tom Boyd's name will be "remembered and revered" ahead of Bob Murphy?

Come off it SK - Bob Murphy is a absolute Bulldogs club legend, widely admired and highly respected by both his peers and the broader football community, Tom Boyd will be a mere footnote in comparison to the great Robert "Bob" Murphy!
Not often I agree with him, but 54 years later tell me how many neutrals remember Cowboy's GF vs Breen's?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 5:08pm

Well I reckon I have watched Tom's highlights package from the Dogs flag more times than I witnessed Bob handle a ball over his entire career, and I watched Rob play a bit.

Bob was a really dependable player and he's a legend of a bloke but I think you've not only missed my point, you've thrown up an example to prove it.

I enjoy our chats though.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 6:29pm

Often I agree with him, moreover 54 years later tell me how many neutrals remember Cowboy's GF vs Breen's?
<1 day ban for misrepresenting the views of another poster>

ace
Saintsational Legend

Gram got votes from every member of the panel.
But the panel had too many imbecilic big mouths who selected a player based on he was the best from the winning team.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.