2021 list reductions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

2021 list reductions

From herald sun.com.au

"Meanwhile, the Herald Sun understands club lists will only be reduced by a small number of players for 2021 as coaches including Hawthorn’s Alastair Clarkson push the league for clarity.

AFL football boss Steve Hocking said on Saturday any cut would likely be a staged approach in discussions with the AFLPA.

Clubs will likely only have to move on a handful of rookies and older players to get under a list size of around 40, which would likely again be reduced for 2022."

Wot I said.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 2021 list reductions

I’m with what Clarko briefly floated earlier in the year. I want bigger lists 50 perhaps even if it means the bottom 20 get paid sweet fa at least they have a chance to chase their dreams. Have a complete reserves competition that is televised on Kayo and FOXTEL. They play as curtain raisers. I know I would watch our reserves matches, on a Thursday and Friday night I would love to watch the ressies match at 5

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is king wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 6:11pm I’m with what Clarko briefly floated earlier in the year. I want bigger lists 50 perhaps even if it means the bottom 20 get paid sweet fa at least they have a chance to chase their dreams. Have a complete reserves competition that is televised on Kayo and FOXTEL. They play as curtain raisers. I know I would watch our reserves matches, on a Thursday and Friday night I would love to watch the ressies match at 5
The only way you’re goi got see that is by getting in your time machine and going back 20 years. I do miss being able to watch the last quarter of the reserves before the main game.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote=remboy post_id=1867443 time=1599550955 user_id=1467]
[quote="Goose is king" post_id=1867440 time=1599549096 user_id=17709]
I’m with what Clarko briefly floated earlier in the year. I want bigger lists 50 perhaps even if it means the bottom 20 get paid sweet fa at least they have a chance to chase their dreams. Have a complete reserves competition that is televised on Kayo and FOXTEL. They play as curtain raisers. I know I would watch our reserves matches, on a Thursday and Friday night I would love to watch the ressies match at 5
[/quote]

The only way you’re goi got see that is by getting in your time machine and going back 20 years. I do miss being able to watch the last quarter of the reserves before the main game.
[/quote]

I’m convinced there would be a market for the ressies.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

But chicken little has been running around this forum for months telling us we’ll have to cut 15 players?

Don’t tell me he was just talking crap as usual?!?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 5:55pm From herald sun.com.au

"Meanwhile, the Herald Sun understands club lists will only be reduced by a small number of players for 2021 as coaches including Hawthorn’s Alastair Clarkson push the league for clarity.

AFL football boss Steve Hocking said on Saturday any cut would likely be a staged approach in discussions with the AFLPA.

Clubs will likely only have to move on a handful of rookies and older players to get under a list size of around 40, which would likely again be reduced for 2022."

Wot I said.
Yes you did say staging. However if the HS "understands correctly, it will be a reduction of about 5 this year which most clubs will achieve easily due to natural attrition of contracts and then another 5 the following season and that brings it down to around 35. By 2022 we we'll then know more about how deep the recession is cutting in and whether a further reduction below 35 is needed.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 7:51pm

Wot I said.
Yes you did say staging. However if the HS "understands correctly, it will be a reduction of about 5 this year which most clubs will achieve easily due to natural attrition of contracts and then another 5 the following season and that brings it down to around 35. By 2022 we we'll then know more about how deep the recession is cutting in and whether a further reduction below 35 is needed.
Well, that is far from the f****** 10 to 15 player reduction you have been spruiker for weeks. :roll:

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 7:56pm

Wot I said.
Well, that is far from the f****** 10 to 15 player reduction you have been spruiker for weeks. :roll:
Ok look I'm not good with numbers unless it's legal tender however let's back over it, 5 this year, 5 next year and 1 to 5 the following year, can you add that up for me.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Wot I said.
Where had it said anywhere the AFL are cutting lists to 35 or below?

Link?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 8:46pm

Wot I said.

Link?
Find your own link Sellys

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 8:48pm

Wot I said.

Link?
Ah yes, like usual, just making stuff up :D

Where’s the list at...

No season
No crowds
Mass injuries
Refusing to watch games
TV ratings down
Teams not trying
No debutants

And now...

Massive list cuts

The ‘SK fails’ list is getting quite lengthy! :D

What are the ‘trolling’ rules on here again? 🤔

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wot I said.

Link?
you made that crap up afaic.

🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 9:06pm

Wot I said.

Link?

Where’s the list at...

No season
No crowds
Mass injuries
Refusing to watch games
TV ratings down
Teams not trying
No debutants

And now...

Massive list cuts

LOL, he/she is the biggest bulls*** artist the forum has ever seen.

What about the cr@p it was spinning pre-season about Corona Beer and selling his/her marketing expertise to the Saints :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 9:39pm

Wot I said.

Link?

Where’s the list at...

No season
No crowds
Mass injuries
Refusing to watch games
TV ratings down
Teams not trying
No debutants

And now...

Massive list cuts

What about the cr@p it was spinning pre-season about Corona Beer and selling his/her marketing expertise to the Saints :lol: :lol: :lol:
‘Vertical marketing’ or something like that I believe :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sanctorum
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 9:39pm

Wot I said.

Link?

Where’s the list at...

No season
No crowds
Mass injuries
Refusing to watch games
TV ratings down
Teams not trying
No debutants

And now...

Massive list cuts

You can say that again Joffa, there's also his numerous predictions of doom and gloom about "insolvency experts" going to be called in by St Kilda FC receivers next year, and the AFL going broke. Absolute rubbish :roll:

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i like him

he had my favourite subject on that list
... tanking

whats not to like

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Wot I said.

Link?

Where’s the list at...

No season
No crowds
Mass injuries
Refusing to watch games
TV ratings down
Teams not trying
No debutants

And now...

Massive list cuts

You missed “The Asterix Cup” 🙄

Go you red, black & white warriors
Secret Kiel
Club Player

asiu wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 10:58pm i like him

he had my favourite subject on that list
... tanking

whats not to like
I'm having trouble picking the tanking this year, I was convinced Clarko was tanking and then we made them look like rock stars. Maybe Ratts was just helping a mate out by avoiding detection from the integrity unit.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

A 10% plus reduction in your workforce isn't exactly insignificant.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 10:46am A 10% plus reduction in your workforce isn't exactly insignificant.
I wouldn't like to have the only list reduced by 10%. That would be significant.

older saint
SS Life Member

Goose is king wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 6:11pm I’m with what Clarko briefly floated earlier in the year. I want bigger lists 50 perhaps even if it means the bottom 20 get paid sweet fa at least they have a chance to chase their dreams. Have a complete reserves competition that is televised on Kayo and FOXTEL. They play as curtain raisers. I know I would watch our reserves matches, on a Thursday and Friday night I would love to watch the ressies match at 5
Problem is if you pay SFA then wont be games as players will be finishing work at 5pm

Secret Kiel
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 10:46am A 10% plus reduction in your workforce isn't exactly insignificant.
Accoss the 18 clubs the number is significant but in all honesty the business model of 44 to 45 on a list but only half get to play each week is a really poor business model if you look at in those terms and I suspect COVID could be leveraged from to reform the industry. Clearly tbe jungle drums have started beating as a result of Gils comments around list reductions.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

the business model of 44 to 45 on a list but only half get to play each week is a really poor business model
why flush an asset down the gurgler

turn the other half
into something else

something ,
a little different
but clearly and practically
feeding grounds for the big show

set the ‘style’ of game
to suit the participants

shorter : coz they’re still building fitness
nimble : coz they’re young ‘n wiry
sex symbol : coz speccies , candy ‘n torps
are the gary go

lean mean ‘n profit producing

even

play it mixed

out with retraction
in with expansion

Rome desperately needs more gladiatorial representation
not less

organise our youth
give em a format that suits their spunk

bonus
they’ll be ready to rock n roll
as the Chinese swarm outa their submarines

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

asiu wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 1:12pm
the business model of 44 to 45 on a list but only half get to play each week is a really poor business model
why flush an asset down the gurgler

turn the other half
into something else

something ,
a little different
but clearly and practically
feeding grounds for the big show

set the ‘style’ of game
to suit the participants

shorter : coz they’re still building fitness
nimble : coz they’re young ‘n wiry
sex symbol : coz speccies , candy ‘n torps
are the gary go

lean mean ‘n profit producing

even

play it mixed

out with retraction
in with expansion

Rome desperately needs more gladiatorial representation
not less

organise our youth
give em a format that suits their spunk

bonus
they’ll be ready to rock n roll
as the Chinese swarm outa their submarines
Yeah agree, I think there is fertile ground to re invent the relationship with the 2nd tier comps. So many ways to do it but so many commercial impediments presently.

The other elephant in the room with regards to list sizes is the salary cap reduction that is also coming. All this chat about the Saints having a war chest is intriguing. I think the change to the landscape will start to be revealed from October 25. The AFL are desperate to get this season completed and invoices issued and then address the mountain of debt and revenue raising issues.

CarlD
Club Player

If lists were cut to 35 players (and I don't think the AFL will go that far) what happens when you have a bad injury year? Where do the top-ups come from so you can field a side? Affiliate clubs?