We will still finish in the top 8

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: We will still finish in the top 8

West Coast and us are coming off a 4 day break when we play each other the difference is that it will be their 3rd game in 10 days - they might be ripe for plucking

They have Essendon Bulldogs then us - fingers crossed they win those 2 games and drop their bundle against us

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Hawks play a desperate Crows on Tuesday wanting to register their first win so it is likely to be a tough game - they then have travel back to Qld to face us 5 days later

No excuses against the Hawks

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnest wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 1:05am
Yorkeys wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 9:20pm Recent history suggests we will not. We as a club have been incapable of winning a crunch game for a decade - there is no lived experience of triumph in the face of serious challenge and opportunity. Knowing we have to win next week and probably one of the other two is the cue to bring out the don't panic tees. We cannot score sufficient goals now clubs realise blanket Butler and there is not much else in the Saints arsenal. Saturday's match was our Waterloo. May as well use the remaining games to blood youngsters and try out different positions. The scenario is so darn predictable; tough decisions were needed a month ago and now its too late. Ironically after we lose to Hawthorn, if injuries allow them to field a side, we will probably knock over GWS in the last game dead rubber and give ourselves bruises patting shoulders. With similar irony Melbourne will be flogged in their final while we watch from stage 3 isolation. Have we sold our draft pick.
Are you sure you barrack for St Kilda?
Yorkeys sounds like the quintessential punch drunk, been around this block before St Kilda supporter. I know where and why these thoughts come into a red, white & black head. I've no doubt who they barrack for.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Think the Swans are also a good chance to beat Melbourne in Cairns on Thursday which could help our cause

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Devilhead wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 11:02am West Coast and us are coming off a 4 day break when we play each other the difference is that it will be their 3rd game in 10 days - they might be ripe for plucking

They have Essendon Bulldogs then us - fingers crossed they win those 2 games and drop their bundle against us
I want to say the Bulldogs will run the Toasters ragged, but anything could happen.
I think the WCE midfield (players+tactics) are better than Doggies, and with J Kennedy able to kick 4+ goals, the WCE might have a good win.
Just hoping Doggies bruise them and hurt them for us

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintkev
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 8:54pm Dees are still not certainties and are known for dropping games they are expected to win.
Kinda like the Saints

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

So let me get this clear.

1) We are seriously barracking for Sydney to beat Melbourne.

2) Adelaide to throw everything at the Hawks and for them to draw. (With Hawk injuries and reports)

3) West Coast to get easy victories and then relax and rest players for the finals in the round we meet them.

4) Our selectors visit the shrine to beg for the whatever kind of wisdom has been alluding them

If we don’t make it, I know it is just trolling of me, but I can’t resist asking; Are we much better than the 2017 team that showed so much and then fell away it looked like a cement truck dropping its load in the middle of the Nepean.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SunnyErnest
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 5:01pm So let me get this clear.

2) Adelaide to throw everything at the Hawks and for them to draw. (With Hawk injuries and reports)

3) West Coast to get easy victories and then relax and rest players for the finals in the round we meet them.

4) Our selectors visit the shrine to beg for the whatever kind of wisdom has been alluding them

If we don’t make it, I know it is just trolling of me, but I can’t resist asking; Are we much better than the 2017 team that showed so much and then fell away it looked like a cement truck dropping its load in the middle of the Nepean.
Un fortunately it might be more of the same from 2017. Especially the bombing into F50. We will see this week if we have learned anything from the Melbourne game.

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 8:54pm Dees are still not certainties and are known for dropping games they are expected to win.
Did you say Dees or Saints? Sounds like the same team.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Watch Melbourne get done this week.

Pretenders.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
To the top
SS Life Member

The positive is that playing Finals this year remains in our own hands with 3 games to go

If we do make the Finals the next part of the development cycle is to be competitive thus confirming our “emerging” status

Winning Flags is about playing Finals on a regular basis

If you are there on a regular basis your chances are improved

Bit like the ball being in your F50 - the law of averages says you will score

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Proxy for Bookies thoughts: Saints $51 for flag GWS $23. Melbourne $41, Pies $19. Those that do it for a living are confident GWS will go past us. A worry.

SunnyErnest
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 10:37pm Proxy for Bookies thoughts: Saints $51 for flag GWS $23. Melbourne $41, Pies $19. Those that do it for a living are confident GWS will go past us. A worry.
Bookies know s***.

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Hawks just got done by the Crows, and we play them on Sunday with 3 extra days break.

Surely, SURELY we’ll beat them?!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 9:10pm Hawks just got done by the Crows, and we play them on Sunday with 3 extra days break.

I don’t care about Hawks
We have to focus on ourselves
If we dropped to Hawks then don’t even bother re finals
Destiny in our own hands so 1 of GWS Eagles a must win

“Yeah….nah””
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 9:12pm
The_Dud wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 9:10pm Hawks just got done by the Crows, and we play them on Sunday with 3 extra days break.

I don’t care about Hawks
If we don't absolutely give the Hawks a belting then alarm bells will sound loudly. A close win will be viewed as a bad loss. That's destiny.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 9:21pm

I don’t care about Hawks
If we don't absolutely give the Hawks a belting then alarm bells will sound loudly. A close win will be viewed as a bad loss. That's destiny.
A win any type of win against the Hawks......they will respond to the loss against Adelaide.

saint4life
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

We are infinitely better. If you don't know that, you've not watched any games in 2017 & 2018.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 10:37pm Proxy for Bookies thoughts: Saints $51 for flag GWS $23. Melbourne $41, Pies $19. Those that do it for a living are confident GWS will go past us. A worry.
Bookies also off load. It is why they don't always lose money. If their biggest loss comes with a particular result, they make the other look more attractive.

Please, throw your hard earned on Melbourne or GWS, I've a feeling the Saints may go further.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

chook23 wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 9:26pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 9:21pm

I don’t care about Hawks
A win any type of win against the Hawks......they will respond to the loss against Adelaide.
As I said elsewhere, SURELY our cattle is better than their cattle. Our backline alone should not only stop them from kicking more than 4 or 5 goals, our backline should also kick more goals than their forward line.

Our mids and forwards probably dont even have to turn up.

Clarko has officially advised they are tanking. Percentage booster if ever it was on offer.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 9:33pm

We are infinitely better. If you don't know that, you've not watched any games in 2017 & 2018.
Infinitely better? Then so is the rest of the comp infinitely better. Bombing into the forward line to a promising young forward, starting to finally click then slipping away at the end of the season possibly dropping out of the 8.

These are the only measures I am using.
Of course I am glad we have the crew we have now, mostly, but results are looking like 2017 in the end. I hope not. But we have lost three of our last four, and we’ll be nervous even against Hawthorn.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I disagree SG but yes, I'm nervous, we've all been through expectation before. To compare 2017 to 2020 is poles apart in terms of future expectations.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I've been barracking for the Saints for almost 60 years & they had a slogan around the Malcolm Blight era "expect the unexpected" or some thing similar & that pretty much sums up the Saints & anyone who thinks that we will walk all over the Hawks (even though we probably should ) I can tell you as a seasoned supporter never take anything for granted because it will come back & bite you on the arse

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 10:21pm I've been barracking for the Saints for almost 60 years & they had a slogan around the Malcolm Blight era "expect the unexpected" or some thing similar & that pretty much sums up the Saints & anyone who thinks that we will walk all over the Hawks (even though we probably should ) I can tell you as a seasoned supporter never take anything for granted because it will come back & bite you on the arse
I totally agree with you Banga but all that said, there's a flip side to all our pessimism & 2020 may just be the catalyst. Fingers crossed!

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 10:28pm
bangaulegend wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 10:21pm I've been barracking for the Saints for almost 60 years & they had a slogan around the Malcolm Blight era "expect the unexpected" or some thing similar & that pretty much sums up the Saints & anyone who thinks that we will walk all over the Hawks (even though we probably should ) I can tell you as a seasoned supporter never take anything for granted because it will come back & bite you on the arse
I totally agree with you Banga but all that said, there's a flip side to all our pessimism & 2020 may just be the catalyst. Fingers crossed!
:wink: