Match Thread Saints v Lions Round 13 2020

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Lions Round 13 2020

saynta wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 12:22pm Brians' coach is a real asswipe. Ratts gave credit a couple of times to the bears, whereas the arsehole opposition coach merely said the game should have been over at three quarter time.Never gave any credit to his opposition.Real dog in the manger creep.
Out in straight sets.

I can’t see them troubling Geelong, Richmond or the Eagles.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 8:15pm
saintbob wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 6:37pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 6:33pm
saintbob wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 6:32pm
Enrico_Misso wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 6:30pm Ross turnover again
To be fair it was a s*** handball from Steele
To be fair he had an eternity. He could have balked, fended off, spun round, or just plain tucked it under his arm and arched his back

He didn’t!!
bulls***
I finished watching the replay just now. People with rose coloured glasses will always defend Sebby

Any neutral supporter will tell you he had 3-4 steps after receiving the footy. He had a good game and did a good job on Neale, but in this instance he stuffed up because he wanted to kick with his left foot. It happens to him regularly
Trust me I’m definitely not a Sebby fan, but it was a handball that Steele should never have given especially when Seb was in so much traffic.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

There is always going to be traffic for a midfielder. He needs to develop a plan. He needs to practice a couple of methods and just be smarter.

When you see Gresh get the footy in traffic he has a plan and he alludes the tackle. When Clark gets the footy he balks, he side steps he goes either way and isn’t troubled if he has to turn on his non preferred. Steele fends off with strength. Sebby is like a deer in headlights.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 9:03pm There is always going to be traffic for a midfielder. He needs to develop a plan. He needs to practice a couple of methods and just be smarter.

When you see Gresh get the footy in traffic he has a plan and he alludes the tackle. When Clark gets the footy he balks, he side steps he goes either way and isn’t troubled if he has to turn on his non preferred. Steele fends off with strength. Sebby is like a deer in headlights.
Got a vote from one of the coaches. :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 12:22pm Brians' coach is a real asswipe. Ratts gave credit a couple of times to the bears, whereas the arsehole opposition coach merely said the game should have been over at three quarter time.Never gave any credit to his opposition.Real dog in the manger creep.
He was right it shoulda been

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 2:55am https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S

Josh Kelly's stoppages clearances are double and centre clearances nearly double that of Jack Billings

If a mid doesn't line up in the centre then he isn't a mid as far as I'm concerned

And.. contested possessions (which is where a mid earns his keep) are 40% better than Billings
I think this covers it
Good post

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 4:08pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 9:03pm There is always going to be traffic for a midfielder. He needs to develop a plan. He needs to practice a couple of methods and just be smarter.

So what!! Billy Longer used to get a 1 vote as well

The 1 vote is a token vote in some cases, because the coaches have about a hundred other considerations that are more important...perhaps Neale had an injury, perhaps he was sick in the guts the night before, perhaps Seb deserved the 1 vote or not...either way, that does not have anything to do specifically with this incident where Seb was caught. It isn't the first time. He gets stuck too often in this sort of situation

To the top
SS Life Member

Compare Clark on his feet to Ross on his feet

Clark augments by being able to go left or right

That is the extreme because of Clark's instinct and skill set but it identifies the problem Ross has and has not improved on

And I am not suggesting in any way Clark should be moved from defence

We need to address the midfield as a seperate matter not take from strengths elsewhere

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 9:38am I am not suggesting in any way Clark should be moved from defence. We need to address the midfield as a seperate matter not take from strengths elsewhere
Why?

Half back flankers are relatively common. Potentially elite midfielders are somewhat harder to find.

Plus, aren’t Clark and Coffield supposed to be learning the game in defence before potentially moving to the midfield? Or do we pigeon-hole them as defenders for the rest of their careers after just a season in that role?

I do understand the line of thinking, though. There are those who still can’t see Gresham as anything other than a forward pocket, despite evidence that he has become one of our most important midfielders.

Where does Jimmy Webster play when he’s fit? What about Roberton? Savage? Are they all now just “depth only” players?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 2:12am
saynta wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 4:08pm

So what!! Billy Longer used to get a 1 vote as well

The 1 vote is a token vote in some cases, because the coaches have about a hundred other considerations that are more important...perhaps Neale had an injury, perhaps he was sick in the guts the night before, perhaps Seb deserved the 1 vote or not...either way, that does not have anything to do specifically with this incident where Seb was caught. It isn't the first time. He gets stuck too often in this sort of situation
Yep, I was waiting for that. Some posters go out of their way to denigrate Seb at every opportunity. I was thinking if that made them feel better about themselves.