Open Mike Luke Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Open Mike Luke Ball

SaintPav wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 12:50pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 11:51am Luke spoke about Grant Thomas in glowing terms. “Grant had a great ability to build a young group. Thomo was a new coach and he was fantastic for the group.” Luke said Grant had them ‘playing’ for him every week. He said Grant was a bit of a ‘father figure’. He said these days we’ve got the game moving that way with coach-player relationship being very important. Grant showed he cared for the players.

St Kilda would have had success with that young group being neck and neck with Geelong in their development pre 2007. They had continuity and we sacked the bloke who the players loved playing for. We just got impatient and....Geelong won 3 premierships

Everything goes back to that decision by Butters to sack Thomas so that he could take him to court six months later
It may have worked if Grant hired a few good tactical assistants and listened to them and actioned their ideas.

Not sure Grant was very good at that. Heard otherwise.
Absolutely and I spoke directly to one of Grants assistants (who Lyon later sacked) whose exact words were “Grant Thomas f@rked your club” he went on to say Lyon was the most tactically astute coach in the game.

That’s why Riewoldt and Co loved him and even tried to get him ba k at the club - GT dreamers “of movie nights” have no idea.

Of course the twits who ignore the facts regurgitate GT theories on “what if’s” GT couldn’t get it done game day and that’s why he never even got us into a GF.

Lyon has many failings but at THAT time in the game he was one of the best going around.

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Facts? You mean opinion...and ...It’s interesting that the guys who never won one, want to convince us Lyon was ‘one of the best going around’

You’re quite brilliant Teflon :D

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 11:41pm Of course the twits who ignore the facts regurgitate GT theories on “what if’s” GT couldn’t get it done game day and that’s why he never even got us into a GF.
We got smashed by injuries at various (and wrong) stages of GTs tenure - we were decimated during the 2005 finals campaign

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

It's why everyone I know that has anything to do with the club believe Richo trumps BOTH GT snd Lyon in terms of legacy. The mode of departure of GT and Lyon set the club backwards to varying degrees whereas Richo's departure was a seamless and smooth transition that has allowed Ratts to exploit and continue an upward trajectory of improvement off the back of Richos legacy. The transition was professional and all class and it still sounds wierd saying that about a coach transition for our club. It was VERY un St Kiilda like and for that we should be proud. The Richo and Ratts Tenure is going to bring us sustained successes, possibly a flag.

takeaway
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 11:41pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 11:51am Luke spoke about Grant Thomas in glowing terms. “Grant had a great ability to build a young group. Thomo was a new coach and he was fantastic for the group.” Luke said Grant had them ‘playing’ for him every week. He said Grant was a bit of a ‘father figure’. He said these days we’ve got the game moving that way with coach-player relationship being very important. Grant showed he cared for the players.

St Kilda would have had success with that young group being neck and neck with Geelong in their development pre 2007. They had continuity and we sacked the bloke who the players loved playing for. We just got impatient and....Geelong won 3 premierships

Everything goes back to that decision by Butters to sack Thomas so that he could take him to court six months later
It may have worked if Grant hired a few good tactical assistants and listened to them and actioned their ideas.

Absolutely and I spoke directly to one of Grants assistants (who Lyon later sacked) whose exact words were “Grant Thomas f@rked your club” he went on to say Lyon was the most tactically astute coach in the game.

That’s why Riewoldt and Co loved him and even tried to get him ba k at the club - GT dreamers “of movie nights” have no idea.

Of course the twits who ignore the facts regurgitate GT theories on “what if’s” GT couldn’t get it done game day and that’s why he never even got us into a GF.

Lyon has many failings but at THAT time in the game he was one of the best going around.
Finally some sense. GT and RL were different levels, GT an amateur coach who barged in to coaching one of the best lists we've had, had a limited attacking game style that was never going to sustain itself to a GF win, and RL who was a fully professional coach, who'd done the hard yards, inherited a good list but not as good as GT's list, moulded a game plan that would cope with finals, and who in the end, was beaten essentially by bad luck. There is no doubt that at the time he was regarded as one of the AFL's best coaches.

Chalk and cheese. If only Saints had undergone a proper interview process in seeking replacement for Blight (even retaining him would have been better). With that list and its potential many experienced coaches would have been champing at the bit. What a waste.

I think some posters are blinkered in their view of RL because they loved the run of success/grand finals, and were shocked when he left suddenly. However, we had had a good run and were done, as is often the case after consecutive finals campaigns. But he left, and to some simple souls, he became a pr**k.

To the top
SS Life Member

A couple of other observations following my prior contribution

With Thomas, we would be easily beaten by certain game styles particularly the likes of Adelaide the response being we play our style (and, by extension, get beaten without learning)

I had the feeling our injuries were a result of pushing a young List too hard their bodies not mature enough - - so the rotation of players based on stress analysis because once the stress injuries came they never regained full fitness (and there were a raft of them)

With Lyon I rely on my prior contribution and who we recruited from other Clubs instead of introducing Drafted players to a strong top end List (and hence the subsequent fall, noting the rules since introduced re Free Agency etc etc came just too late for St Kilda but not for the likes of Geelong which was advantaged including with Father/son

So the Stars have not aligned

Except we are now building what we are building and a destination Club - still needing 4/6 class performers across a couple of areas on the park

To the top
SS Life Member

A couple of other observations following my prior contribution

With Thomas, we would be easily beaten by certain game styles particularly the likes of Adelaide the response being we play our style (and, by extension, get beaten without learning)

I had the feeling our injuries were a result of pushing a young List too hard their bodies not mature enough - - so the rotation of players based on stress analysis because once the stress injuries came they never regained full fitness (and there were a raft of them)

With Lyon I rely on my prior contribution and who we recruited from other Clubs instead of introducing Drafted players to a strong top end List (and hence the subsequent fall, noting the rules since introduced re Free Agency etc etc came just too late for St Kilda but not for the likes of Geelong which was advantaged including with Father/son

So the Stars have not aligned

Except we are now building what we are building and a destination Club - still needing 4/6 class performers across a couple of areas on the park

Secret Kiel
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 9:01am

GT an amateur coach who barged in to coaching

The best and most concise summary I've read.

That's not to say I'm a GT hater, far from it and I foreswore I would never get involved in a boring and brain killing GT versus Lyon toss fest but this caught my eye and warranted recognition.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Anyone want to take a punt as to why the AFL allowed Collingwood to cheat the system to get him.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The ol GT vs RL chesnut.

1) players loved and played for GT...(confirmed time and again)
2) good appointment IMO, gut instinct, no process
3) due process for Watters and Richo...
4)...but also Ratts
5) GT stubborn, yes, blinkered yes, don’t know what broke camels back.
6) RL admitted he struggled w/coaching in ‘07
7) RL gushed about by media, Clarko quickly took that mantle
8) RLs hair has improved since on TV, GTs did not. There lies the key

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yeah Yeah

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Finally some sense. GT and RL were different levels, GT an amateur coach who barged in to coaching one of the best lists we've had, had a limited attacking game style that was never going to sustain itself to a GF win, and RL who was a fully professional coach, who'd done the hard yards, inherited a good list but not as good as GT's list, moulded a game plan that would cope with finals, and who in the end, was beaten essentially by bad luck. There is no doubt that at the time he was regarded as one of the AFL's best coaches.

Chalk and cheese. If only Saints had undergone a proper interview process in seeking replacement for Blight (even retaining him would have been better). With that list and its potential many experienced coaches would have been champing at the bit. What a waste.

I think some posters are blinkered in their view of RL because they loved the run of success/grand finals, and were shocked when he left suddenly. However, we had had a good run and were done, as is often the case after consecutive finals campaigns. But he left, and to some simple souls, he became a pr**k.

Beaten by bad luck? bulls***. He beat himself by playing Ball for 48 minutes in a game for the premiership. 49 minutes for 22 possessions I might add. And playing a VFL grade footballer at full back who incidentally had been in hospital on a drip the night before the game. Play Max and Ball for a full game and we get the flag. Play Ball in our team and not the filths in 2010 and we get another flag. Max would not have handballed to that Hawkins bag of s*** in the goal square like the dork did ffs. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The guy is a f****** lying creep. And you can cut out the f****** bulls*** demeaning his detractors by calling them simple. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I find it amusing how some simple folk don’t understand that there were alternate views to the “In Ross We Trust” fundamentalists. It’s like a regular churchgoer looking at you strange when you tell them there is nothing to fear...Or if you tell them that you don’t believe there is a God. We didn’t all of a sudden hate Ross for leaving. I was glad he left. I never wanted him appointed.

There were some who actually saw the issues unfolding and saw that this novice coach was not planning properly in 2009. I was filthy with him over 2009 and I think he redeemed himself with what he was able to achieve in 2010...but again, his game plan and his footy philosophy fell short

Takeawey reckons that we were spoiled with Lyon. What a croc-a-shyte! Simple folk just can’t get their head around the fact that Lyon failed after he was handed a ready made team. A team that had already played off in 2 consecutive prelims and 3 consecutive finals campaigns in a row. We were building before he arrived. We had a core young group who were united and played for their coach. The talented high draft picks and other young guys were All Australian quality and were about to enter their prime as mature experienced footballers.

We had a board and a president who derailed our progress. Luke Ball would have learnt a fair bit from his time under GT and his time under both Lyon and Malthouse. He is a very intelligent guy and once Covid is under control Bally will no doubt be an asset to any club that employs him

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 10:24am

That's not to say I'm a GT hater, far from it and I foreswore I would never get involved in a boring and brain killing GT versus Lyon toss fest but this caught my eye and warranted recognition.
Lyon did a very good job of coaching 2 finals ready and finals capable teams that he did not have anything to do with uniting and building....but in the end he was sacked by Freo and is working in the media...many ex coaches do don’t they

GT built a united group of players and bonded a team who went from the bottom of the ladder to play in 3 consecutive finals campaigns. Lyon tried to get his team to climb the ladder and failed

Lyon took over a ready made team...Not once....But twice. He was offered a five year contract at Freo and was given the opportunity of building a list. How did that work out? How did his recruiting of mature age footballers work out? How did his attempt at playing finals in 2019 work out?

Another fact surrounding uniting a group and the leadership that is created as a legacy of your coaching is an interesting aspect to compare with GT versus Lyon. With both St Kilda and Freo, Lyon found ready made leaders. Pavlich was captain and had his deputies in place long before RL arrived. Pav was first appointed captain in 2007. Same with Banger, Lenny Hayes, Roo, Ball, and even Aron Hamill. They were given responsibility and given the role to grow and learn by GT, however it seemed that RL was not interested in helping to nurture and grow the leadership at both clubs. There seemed to be a void with both clubs RL coached when the older blokes retired. What does that say about the future planning for a footy club and about RL and his legacy and his vision or ‘care’ (for want of a better word) for the clubs that employed him?
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 20 Aug 2020 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

whereas Richo's departure was a seamless and smooth transition that has allowed Ratts to exploit and continue an upward trajectory of improvement off the back of Richos legacy. The transition was professional and all class and it still sounds wierd saying that about a coach transition for our club. It was VERY un St Kiilda like and for that we should be proud.
yes.

finally learning how to drain our bathwater

more steady eddie than baby down the drainy

should be more of it

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 1:08pm

Lyon did a very good job of coaching 2 finals ready and finals capable teams that he did not have anything to do with uniting and building....but in the end he was sacked by Freo and is working in the media...many ex coaches do don’t they

GT built a united group of players and bonded a team who went from the bottom of the ladder to play in 3 consecutive finals campaigns. Lyon tried to get his team to climb the ladder and failed

Lyon took over a ready made team...Not once....But twice. He was offered a five year contract at Freo and was given the opportunity of building a list. How did that work out? How did his recruiting of mature age footballers work out? How did his attempt at playing finals in 2019 work out?

Another fact surrounding uniting a group and the leadership that is created as a legacy of your coaching is an interesting aspect to compare with GT versus Lyon. With both St Kilda and Freo, Lyon found ready made leaders. Pavlich was captain and had his deputies in place long before RL arrived. Pav was first appointed captain in 2007. Same with Banger, Lenny Hayes, Roo, Ball, and even Aron Hamill. They were given responsibility and given the role to grow and learn by GT, however it seemed that RL was not interested in helping to nurture and grow the leadership at both clubs. There seemed to be a void with bloke blokes when the older blokes retired.
I'm still waiting to hear back from Santorum on what the opposite mean of foreseore is and when I do I will insert it here (........).

So while we are waiting I'll add this, if you are measuring coaches based on how high up the ladder they advanced the club then by all means please continue on with that incredible dull and meaningless discussion without me.

If you are the type to make it personal between you and a person you have never met of who you appear to be, then by all means carry on with that for all eternity.

Personally I'm a clubman type and try not to hate on those that have contributed greatly to the club, so many people pass through a club and most leave a positive and lasting legacy, right in this very moment there are two coaches who have directly contributed to where we are now, Richo and Ratts, both are good mates and both catchup regularly. Richo is welecome to come visit the club any time he likes and would be welcomed with warm and open arms, GT not so much. I like GT, he is a nice bloke but he would be flatout getting a job right now carrying the magnet borad for a senior coach. And he would be the first to admit that.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

So what about Lethal Leigh, or Barrassi or Pagan or David Parkin or Lyon’s mate Wallsy...would you employ any of them? Wtf are you on about with a conversation about employing an ex coach who is happily retired?

It’s not personal. I’ve always said that. Most of the other stuff you wrote I agree with

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 1:52pm So what about Lethal Leigh, or Barrassi or Pagan or David Parkin or Lyon’s mate Wallsy...would you employ any of them? Wtf are you on about with a conversation about employing an ex coach who is happily retired?

It’s not personal. I’ve always said that. Most of the other stuff you wrote I agree with
All of those names were employable after their playing days were finished, GT not so much. That's my point, which is coming back to Takeaway's eloquent point about GT being an amateur coach who barged into coaching at the club. He was in the right place at the right time, had a bunch of wide eyed and highly talented kids who would follow anyone over a cliff at that stage of their careers.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 1:43pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 1:08pm

Another fact surrounding uniting a group and the leadership that is created as a legacy of your coaching is an interesting aspect to compare with GT versus Lyon. With both St Kilda and Freo, Lyon found ready made leaders. Pavlich was captain and had his deputies in place long before RL arrived. Pav was first appointed captain in 2007. Same with Banger, Lenny Hayes, Roo, Ball, and even Aron Hamill. They were given responsibility and given the role to grow and learn by GT, however it seemed that RL was not interested in helping to nurture and grow the leadership at both clubs. There seemed to be a void with bloke blokes when the older blokes retired.
I'm still waiting to hear back from Santorum on what the opposite mean of foreseore is and when I do I will insert it here (........).

So while we are waiting I'll add this, if you are measuring coaches based on how high up the ladder they advanced the club then by all means please continue on with that incredible dull and meaningless discussion without me.

If you are the type to make it personal between you and a person you have never met of who you appear to be, then by all means carry on with that for all eternity.

Personally I'm a clubman type and try not to hate on those that have contributed greatly to the club, so many people pass through a club and most leave a positive and lasting legacy, right in this very moment there are two coaches who have directly contributed to where we are now, Richo and Ratts, both are good mates and both catchup regularly. Richo is welecome to come visit the club any time he likes and would be welcomed with warm and open arms, GT not so much. I like GT, he is a nice bloke but he would be flatout getting a job right now carrying the magnet borad for a senior coach. And he would be the first to admit that.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 2:10pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 1:52pm So what about Lethal Leigh, or Barrassi or Pagan or David Parkin or Lyon’s mate Wallsy...would you employ any of them? Wtf are you on about with a conversation about employing an ex coach who is happily retired?

All of those names were employable after their playing days were finished, GT not so much. That's my point, which is coming back to Takeaway's eloquent point about GT being an amateur coach who barged into coaching at the club. He was in the right place at the right time, had a bunch of wide eyed and highly talented kids who would follow anyone over a cliff at that stage of their careers.
Right place, right time worked ok for Ross too. At both his senior appointments. He had a bunch of highly talented kids who had no choice but to play for their careers and for their footy club

As far as your comment ‘Personally I'm a clubman type and try not to hate on those that have contributed greatly to the club‘ is concerned...how about you fuckn try not to contradict yourself and demean or devalue the contribution by GT

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 2:28pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 2:10pm

Right place, right time worked ok for Ross too. At both his senior appointments. He had a bunch of highly talented kids who had no choice but to play for their careers and for their footy club

As far as your comment ‘Personally I'm a clubman type and try not to hate on those that have contributed greatly to the club‘ is concerned...how about you fuckn try not to contradict yourself and demean or devalue the contribution by GT
Use your listening ears is what they say to primary school kids, re read my post.

Rossy applied for one role and was head hunted for the other. GT not so much. He did lots of good though and I like the bloke.

takeaway
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 12:17pm

Beaten by bad luck? bulls***. He beat himself by playing Ball for 48 minutes in a game for the premiership. 49 minutes for 22 possessions I might add. And playing a VFL grade footballer at full back who incidentally had been in hospital on a drip the night before the game. Play Max and Ball for a full game and we get the flag. Play Ball in our team and not the filths in 2010 and we get another flag. Max would not have handballed to that Hawkins bag of s*** in the goal square like the dork did ffs. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The guy is a f****** lying creep. And you can cut out the f****** bulls*** demeaning his detractors by calling them simple. :roll: :roll: :roll:
So after slogging through a full season in 2009, finishing top of the ladder clear by 2 games, winning both finals to get to the GF, all Ross had to do in the GF was give Luke more minutes, and play Max, who was very much underdone and hardly played all year, and keep Luke and play him in the 2010 GF and we have 2 flags? Wow, such a simple solution, I'm surprised the media hasn't banged on about it for years.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 2:42pm
saynta wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 12:17pm

So after slogging through a full season in 2009, finishing top of the ladder clear by 2 games, winning both finals to get to the GF, all Ross had to do in the GF was give Luke more minutes, and play Max, who was very much underdone and hardly played all year, and keep Luke and play him in the 2010 GF and we have 2 flags? Wow, such a simple solution, I'm surprised the media hasn't banged on about it for years.
'cause the media is as thick as some on here,maybe. :wink: Glad you have finally caught on but.. :D

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SK,

“GT being an amateur coach who barged into coaching at the club. He was in the right place at the right time, had a bunch of wide eyed and highly talented kids who would follow anyone over a cliff at that stage of their careers.“

So you are dismissing everything that GT had worked on and everything that happened at St Kilda FC prior to the messiah Ross Lyon arriving at our club?

How does the above statement acknowledge the foundations built by GT as coach and his work with uniting a group of players and creating on field leaders that served the club for over a decade after he departed, marry up with your above statement? Especially when you come out with bs like ‘Personally I'm a clubman type and try not to hate on those that have contributed greatly to the club‘

You are full of it Steven.

Thomo didn’t seek a coaching job after he finished at St. Kilda and he didn’t need to secure his family’s future by going behind his management’s back and doing a deal to get an existing coach sacked. Lyon is relatively young. Let’s see if he gets ‘headhunted’ again so that he can finish his career with a win loss ratio in finals that accurately reflects his place among the great coaches

If I call you a primary school student that would be a compliment because I haven’t met too many kids that are are just deadshyte arseholes. I know why you like to start your responses like that. It’s because you don’t like to admit defeat.
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 20 Aug 2020 3:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 2:48pm SK,

“GT being an amateur coach who barged into coaching at the club. He was in the right place at the right time, had a bunch of wide eyed and highly talented kids who would follow anyone over a cliff at that stage of their careers.“

So you are dismissing everything that GT had worked on and everything that happened at St Kilda FC prior to the messiah Ross Lyon arriving at our club?

How does the above statement acknowledge the foundations built by GT as coach and his work with uniting a group of players and creating on field leaders that served the club for over a decade after he departed, marry up with your above statement? Especially when you come out with bs like ‘Personally I'm a clubman type and try not to hate on those that have contributed greatly to the club‘

You are full of it Steven.

If I call you a primary school student that would be a compliment because I haven’t met too many kids that are are just deadshyte arseholes. I know why you like to start your responses like that. It’s because you don’t like to admit defeat
I think we are in furious agreement but I think you might have mashed potatoes in your ears.

GT did some good. GT did some good. GT did some good. He's a ripping bloke. He's a ripping bloke. Still care immensely about the Sainters. What is there not to like about the bloke.

But he had some short comings as they all do.

What's wrong with saying that.