4 changes Team v Bombers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

Re: 4 changes Team v Bombers

WTF Phillips out and Lonie in, what a f****** joke of a selection.

What more does Phillips have to do to keep his spot?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 11:59pm Good INs and Outs.

Sad to see Carlisle go with his talent and playing against the old foe etc.,

So who is gonna stop Mr. Tippy? Gears?
I don’t know. Who is quick enough to go with him?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 12:39am WTF Phillips out and Lonie in, what a f****** joke of a selection.

Get the ball.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbob
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 1:23am
saintbob wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 12:39am WTF Phillips out and Lonie in, what a f****** joke of a selection.

Get the ball.

Seriously, well why the f*** would they replace him with that insipid little f***

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 1:40am

Get the ball.

Seriously, well why the f*** would they replace him with that insipid little f***
:)

I understand where you're coming from but I think you might be overreacting a bit, no?

Both play different roles.

If Lonie can recapture his previous form which was very good, his will stay in. Simple.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bullmarket
Club Player

Get the ball.

Spot on - Good to see that someone on this forum gets it.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Last week I think only one of our 4 goals came from our forwards- Battle..I presume Billings was on the ball or in the midfield we he got his goal, and Phillips was on a wing when he got half of our score. In the GC game we relied on Butler to kick the goals, with not much else going on from our forwards.

Membrey and King need get on the scoreboard again.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that only Phillips was dropped. Maybe Phillips wasn’t following instructions and his effort or running wasn’t good enough in the second half. Ed is young so hopefully it’s a learning experience and helps his development. I was expecting to see a few more omitted after such a dismal performance against Geelong.

I think it’s too early for Ratts to be looking for scapegoats or to categorically rule out some of the senior players...although it seems that McKenzie and Savage are among the blokes that have struggled to cement a spot. Maybe next year Ratts will have a better idea of who he can rely on and who is just turning up for their paycheque.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 8:18am Last week I think only one of our 4 goals came from our forwards- Battle..I presume Billings was on the ball or in the midfield we he got his goal, and Phillips was on a wing when he got half of our score. In the GC game we relied on Butler to kick the goals, with not much else going on from our forwards.

Membrey and King need get on the scoreboard again.
At one stage, Howard was tried forward as was Ben Long but I think the problem lay in the guts and the delivery into the forward line. The Cats controlled the tempo and also played a fair bit of keepings off against us. The Cats pressure levels were elite for most of the game so there were limited genuine chances and our mids were struggling to get involved and hit up a leading forward.

Membrey and King had a few chances but even when our midfielders weren’t under pressure their delivery to the forwards advantage was poor. Both dropped a few easy marks, but it always looks easy from the stands...maybe the ball was a bit slippery

To the top
SS Life Member

This is an 8 Point game for St Kilda

The way we respond will be telling

With Geary, in terms of being honourable in defeat last game (you can not say week any more) there was a double negative because Geary's abject ineffectiveness as a forward and a liability easily exploited saw him moved to defence where he was equally ineffective

The double whammy was that Long, who at least cracked in, was moved from defence to accomodate Geary

If Geary is similarly exposes today, and it is obvious the opposition target him as in leaving him unattended at kick outs which is an enduring tactic, then this match will be the end of the road

Including because focus will turn to 2021 if 2020 finals participitatin is not achieved

A win will make a difference in a season where results are on the day results

A loss and it tightens with the next match crucial

That said, I remain of the view that in this season anyone can beat anyone - with the possible exception of Adelaide

Results are on the day results

saintkid
Club Player

Very stiff to drop Phillips and Lonie very lucky. Haven't seen Lonie kick a goal on the run from just 35 metres out and even one like Phillip's other goal, for a long time.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:07am This is an 8 Point game for St Kilda

The way we respond will be telling

With Geary, in terms of being honourable in defeat last game (you can not say week any more) there was a double negative because Geary's abject ineffectiveness as a forward and a liability easily exploited saw him moved to defence where he was equally ineffective

The double whammy was that Long, who at least cracked in, was moved from defence to accomodate Geary

If Geary is similarly exposes today, and it is obvious the opposition target him as in leaving him unattended at kick outs which is an enduring tactic, then this match will be the end of the road

Including because focus will turn to 2021 if 2020 finals participitatin is not achieved

A win will make a difference in a season where results are on the day results

A loss and it tightens with the next match crucial

That said, I remain of the view that in this season anyone can beat anyone - with the possible exception of Adelaide

Results are on the day results
Really hoping Adelaide can win today too. They do that and we can effectively put a line through the 'Dogs as a potential rival for our spot in the Top Eight.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Just going to get in before Curly does..
.The umps were cheating this afternoon..they favoured the Bombers all game.
Cheats.

saintkid
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:39am Just going to get in before Curly does..
.The umps were cheating this afternoon..they favoured the Bombers all game.
Cheats.
Very happy to hear all that as long as we win! :)

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Get the ball.

Wow all class as a supporter aren’t you

Hate to hear what you say about opponents if you call one of ours that.

You might want to have a look at our motto

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Sanctorum
Club Player

Bringing Paddy Ryder back into the team to take the brunt of the ruck tap work means that St Kilda will be able to get back to the successful game plan that saw the team win 4 on the trot.

With Jake Carlisle omitted this will also enable Rowan Marshall to play in defence if required, with the Bombers playing 3 tall forwards.

It is the midfield where the game will be won or lost so with Jade Gresham out injured St Kilda will need to beef up that area with Ross and Clark, and of course Zak Jones is also back in the side - wouldn't be surprised if Ben Long gets to play midfield at some stage too, he has a lot of dash and uses the ball well.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bradley Hill get more of the ball, which was mentioned by Brett Ratten post-match on Monday night, and if this happens we should see some real improvement in ball movement to the leading forwards.

I've been to the Gabba to watch my team play for the past 30 years, very rarely coming home victorious, I hope today that we'll celebrate a rare win on that pitch!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:23am Very stiff to drop Phillips and Lonie very lucky. Haven't seen Lonie kick a goal on the run from just 35 metres out and even one like Phillip's other goal, for a long time.
I don't think you're comparing apples with apples.
Surely Lonie was selected to replace Kent and to a lesser extent Gresham as a small forward.

Phillips would have to have been omitted to fit in Ross/Jones as an on-baller.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Wonder if we'll bring in Phillips for Clark as a late change.

saintbob
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 11:04am

Get the ball.

Wow all class as a supporter aren’t you

Hate to hear what you say about opponents if you call one of ours that.

You might want to have a look at our motto

Fqf
Maybe it is as simple as buying a pair of those rose coloured glasses that you obviously wear.

Look, I have no doubt that if Essendon are as weak as they appear on paper today then the insipid one will probably bob up and kick a goal or two whilst setting an AFL record for the most dives and attempted tackles in the history of the game.