Seb Ross role

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Seb Ross role

G'day SS comrades.

Always a great feeling opening up the peepers and remembering there was a win for the good blokes the night before. Even better when your next thought was that it over those smarmy conceited pricks.

Anyway - genuine (non-loaded) question to the posters (declaration - I can't stand the way Seb Ross plays footy - slow, one sided, no physical presence/visible energy, poor decisions, even worse disposal after accumulating lots of non-hurting possessions, would rather go sideways than forwards).

My question - Seb I'm sure fills a role for the team but, for the life of me - I cannot work out what it is. I saw so little of him last night that I was thinking that he must've been tagging Murphy or Walsh (or someone else?). Surely, he can't have been going head to head with someone.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what his specific role is in 2020?

Thanks in anticipation

SM
Last edited by Saintmatt on Fri 03 Jul 2020 10:43am, edited 1 time in total.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross role

Hi SM, I think I understand your point but I've always felt we would become a much better side once Seb became our 4th to 8th midfielder. He's obviously well respected within the Club, which means he's a leader, disciplined and a hard worker. Hard to think of a club that wouldn't have him in at least their 2nd rotation of mids.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 10:42am Hi SM, I think I understand your point but I've always felt we would become a much better side once Seb became our 4th to 8th midfielder. He's obviously well respected within the Club, which means he's a leader, disciplined and a hard worker. Hard to think of a club that wouldn't have him in at least their 2nd rotation of mids.
Yep - that makes sense and kind of re-inforces what I've thought for a fair while (i.e. whilst Seb is in our centre sq starting mid rotation we're going nowhere fast). Not sure he'll become a better player with more quality around him, but perhaps more effective. FWIW, my knock on Dunstan has always been that he's another version of Seb and also, has the same inclination to wheel onto his left and kick sideways as his first option. Perhaps that was a Richo instruction thing? Meh - who knows.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 10:46am
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 10:42am Hi SM, I think I understand your point but I've always felt we would become a much better side once Seb became our 4th to 8th midfielder. He's obviously well respected within the Club, which means he's a leader, disciplined and a hard worker. Hard to think of a club that wouldn't have him in at least their 2nd rotation of mids.
Yep - that makes sense and kind of re-inforces what I've thought for a fair while (i.e. whilst Seb is in our centre sq starting mid rotation we're going nowhere fast). Not sure he'll become a better player with more quality around him, but perhaps more effective. FWIW, my knock on Dunstan has always been that he's another version of Seb and also, has the same inclination to wheel onto his left and kick sideways as his first option. Perhaps that was a Richo instruction thing? Meh - who knows.
Seb was very good last night and last week too. He is definitely not slow,

From afl.com

"BEST
Carlton: Cripps, Jones, Martin, Jones, Simpson, Curnow
St Kilda: Steele, Wilkie, Geary, Marshall, Coffield, Long, Ross

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Wasn’t a player that I watched closely last night.

Who did he play on for the majority ?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He was "tagging" or on Sam Petrevski-Seton most of the time - and beat him.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 11:48am He was "tagging" or on Sam Petrevski-Seton most of the time - and beat him.
Thanks for thought... thought he was in something of a tagging role but wasn’t entirely certain

He’s clearly been an AFL standard established mid for some years now with the knock (on this forum at least) bring on disposal and possibly speed though that’s disputed here.

I feel like this season, his game has something more of a defensive edge... be more accountable to his opponent.

Feel like this could be a really good thing for Seb because he still gets to get a bit of the ball which has always been a strength... something of a run with role however highlights qualities like his work rate and toughness with the reduction in opponent output adding to his contribution

It also takes away from the need to hurt opposition with his ball use which will never be his strongest quality... and that’s ok

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 11:48am He was "tagging" or on Sam Petrevski-Seton most of the time - and beat him.
There you go. Didn't know that and it makes sense now. Cheers :)

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 11:59am
Thanks for thought... thought he was in something of a tagging role but wasn’t entirely certain

He’s clearly been an AFL standard established mid for some years now with the knock (on this forum at least) bring on disposal and possibly speed though that’s disputed here.

I feel like this season, his game has something more of a defensive edge... be more accountable to his opponent.

Feel like this could be a really good thing for Seb because he still gets to get a bit of the ball which has always been a strength... something of a run with role however highlights qualities like his work rate and toughness with the reduction in opponent output adding to his contribution

It also takes away from the need to hurt opposition with his ball use which will never be his strongest quality... and that’s ok
Perfectly put - my thoughts exactly. Seb definitely does have value - I just didn't know how he's been deployed this year in a new system and structure. Much like Gears as a defensive forward (perfect role for him where his iffy field kicking turnovers slaughtered us down back; don't hurt nearly as much forward ... and the new frikking goal kicking prowess!!!!), Seb can be used to harness his game craft and knowledge to negate an oppo. SpS last night was the perfect opponent for that role.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Richo and the Saints hierarchy were very big on players who had good character and were from a good family.

Sebby displays good values and role model behaviour. He speaks well as a player representative and he's durable and keeps himself fit and healthy
:wink: 8-) :lol:
Before people bust a woofer valve, credit where it's due and Seb is the ultimate pro. An important player and leader if we are going to play finals
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 04 Jul 2020 12:24am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg T
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 10:34am G'day SS comrades.

Always a great feeling opening up the peepers and remembering there was a win for the good blokes the night before. Even better when your next thought was that it over those smarmy conceited pricks.

Anyway - genuine (non-loaded) question to the posters (declaration - I can't stand the way Seb Ross plays footy - slow, one sided, no physical presence/visible energy, poor decisions, even worse disposal after accumulating lots of non-hurting possessions, would rather go sideways than forwards).

My question - Seb I'm sure fills a role for the team but, for the life of me - I cannot work out what it is. I saw so little of him last night that I was thinking that he must've been tagging Murphy or Walsh (or someone else?). Surely, he can't have been going head to head with someone.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what his specific role is in 2020?

Thanks in anticipation

SM
Coin toss when Gearys injured

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ross is a player who plays at a standard that young guys like Byrnes and Bytel should aspire to emulate and then pass. He is consistent, he works hard and he gets the ball and converts that to disposals. While he has a few shockers, he is there competing, dishing out, running with and backing up. He even kicked on his right last night. Great athlete, average footballer and handy as f*** off the bench or in a run with role. I was uneasy with the idea he was our best and fairest, more as a reflection of the lack of talent but I'm really comfortable with him a defensive, run with, 2nd tier midfielder.
15 handballs, 5 kicks, 4 marks, 3 clearances and a run with task is the ideal role for him.
If Bytel or Byrnes come on it just gets better.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 12:50am Ross is a player who plays at a standard that young guys like Byrnes and Bytel should aspire to emulate and then pass. He is consistent, he works hard and he gets the ball and converts that to disposals. While he has a few shockers, he is there competing, dishing out, running with and backing up. He even kicked on his right last night. Great athlete, average footballer and handy as f*** off the bench or in a run with role. I was uneasy with the idea he was our best and fairest, more as a reflection of the lack of talent but I'm really comfortable with him a defensive, run with, 2nd tier midfielder.
15 handballs, 5 kicks, 4 marks, 3 clearances and a run with task is the ideal role for him.
Third highest possession winner on Thursday night with 21 possessions after Billings and Steele both with 23 possessions. But still hardly a vote from the "football experts" on SS. Why am I not surprised. It is the same most weeks.Has been for years. Glad the saint coaches value him. :D

Sanctorum
Club Player

This has been a great conversation and there's no doubt that Seb Ross has been "under the gun" by a lot of supporters, including myself - in my weekly coffee with Saints mates in Brisbane we have often expressed the view that he should be traded while he has currency. Too slow, "dolly" kicks that go nowhere, wild medium size bombs into the forward line, gets lots of possessions but for little reward on the scoreboard.

It could well be that Seb is a bit like his cousin Jobe (Watson) who I never really rated, but then relatively late into his career with the Bombers he eventually became a really valuable player and leader. It is quite possible that Seb will get there as well in the next couple of years.

Certainly under Brett Ratten he is one of many Saints players who have been mainly "fair to average" that are starting to improve, testimony to his statement when he was appointed senior coach that developing the players' skills was a major priority if the team is going to achieve success.

Clearly this is starting to show in all of the 5 games they have played this year.

I find it really amazing that even our much maligned skipper played what was probably the best game of his long career on Thursday night - it has taken Ratten and his coaching panel to work out that Geary has far more to offer as a defensive forward!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 12:17pm This has been a great conversation and there's no doubt that Seb Ross has been "under the gun" by a lot of supporters, including myself - in my weekly coffee with Saints mates in Brisbane we have often expressed the view that he should be traded while he has currency. Too slow, "dolly" kicks that go nowhere, wild medium size bombs into the forward line, gets lots of possessions but for little reward on the scoreboard.

It could well be that Seb is a bit like his cousin Jobe (Watson) who I never really rated, but then relatively late into his career with the Bombers he eventually became a really valuable player and leader. It is quite possible that Seb will get there as well in the next couple of years.

Certainly under Brett Ratten he is one of many Saints players who have been mainly "fair to average" that are starting to improve, testimony to his statement when he was appointed senior coach that developing the players' skills was a major priority if the team is going to achieve success.

Clearly this is starting to show in all of the 5 games they have played this year.

I find it really amazing that even our much maligned skipper played what was probably the best game of his long career on Thursday night - it has taken Ratten and his coaching panel to work out that Geary has far more to offer as a defensive forward!
Talk about damning a player with faint praise. Seb is a two time best and fairest winner and they were well deserved accolades. The guy is not slow ffs. I wish posters would stop spreading that bullshite.

The fact that you state that you never rated Jobe says a lot about you and your footballing knowledge. I am sure Seb and Jobe aren't particularly worried or fussed by your assessments.

If Seb was only fair to average under the previous coach but still won the Saints B and F and is " starting to improve" under Ratten then surely he is in line for all Australian honours. :roll: :wink:

Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 1:41pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 12:17pm This has been a great conversation and there's no doubt that Seb Ross has been "under the gun" by a lot of supporters, including myself - in my weekly coffee with Saints mates in Brisbane we have often expressed the view that he should be traded while he has currency. Too slow, "dolly" kicks that go nowhere, wild medium size bombs into the forward line, gets lots of possessions but for little reward on the scoreboard.

Talk about damning a player with faint praise. Seb is a two time best and fairest winner and they were well deserved accolades. The guy is not slow ffs. I wish posters would stop spreading that bullshite.

The fact that you state that you never rated Jobe says a lot about you and your footballing knowledge. I am sure Seb and Jobe aren't particularly worried or fussed by your assessments.

If Seb was only fair to average under the previous coach but still won the Saints B and F and is " starting to improve" under Ratten then surely he is in line for all Australian honours. :roll: :wink:
Well may you question my footballing knowledge Saynta but I do know that for many years Bombers supporters in my extended family were underwhelmed with Jobe's game and felt he was only getting a game through nepotism.

The great thing about this forum is that we are all free to express our views, right or wrong, and you're right to say that neither Seb or Ross would be "fussed" by my assessment, even if you are...

As for Seb Ross achieving B&F honours, that's a moot point considering the quality of the teams at the time.

Having said all that, I fully acknowledge that Seb Ross is a quality person, comes across well in the media, is highly respected by his team mates. I am absolutely delighted that under Brett Ratten's stewardship he is becoming a far better player and may well achieve AA status, I hope he does!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 4:40pm

Well may you question my footballing knowledge Saynta but I do know that for many years Bombers supporters in my extended family were underwhelmed with Jobe's game and felt he was only getting a game through nepotism.

The great thing about this forum is that we are all free to express our views, right or wrong, and you're right to say that neither Seb or Ross would be "fussed" by my assessment, even if you are...

As for Seb Ross achieving B&F honours, that's a moot point considering the quality of the teams at the time.

Having said all that, I fully acknowledge that Seb Ross is a quality person, comes across well in the media, is highly respected by his team mates. I am absolutely delighted that under Brett Ratten's stewardship he is becoming a far better player and may well achieve AA status, I hope he does!
:D As for me, I would never admit to having drug cheat supporters in my family. Thankfully. I don't. :wink:

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 4:40pm

Jobe did happen to win a Brownlow Medal, how did nepotism play a part in that?

I didn't rate Jobe early in his career but he turned into a gun. He won me for all time with the manner he shouldered the responsibility for the hapless players when the Essendon administration and coaches failed to acknowledge their stuff up with the Dank fiasco. No doubt in my mind this shortened his career.

Seb seems to have the same demeanour and I am eternally grateful he plays for the Saints.

Saint supporter since '62
To the top
SS Life Member

In regards Ross, I would feel more confident if after Hannebery’s injury, Ross had taken on Hannebery’s responsibilities in the centre square and around the ground positioning himself to Marshall

To replicate Hannebery you need experience coupled with clean and quick hands and with kicking skills as and when they are required

Ross has experience

My observation is that Ross established as a lock down player on an opposition mid and that remains his value

This value has diminished due to Steele who is an improvement on Ross

The immediate conundrum of Steele, Ross and Dunstan is eased by Dunstan’s unfortunate and untimely injury

To see a couple of young mids bring another dimension in support of what Steele brings will only improve our side

In the same way Coffield, Clark, Long, Patton and Wilkie have improved our defence by adding another dimension

You can never have enough match winners

To the top
SS Life Member

In regards Ross, I would feel more confident if after Hannebery’s injury, Ross had taken on Hannebery’s responsibilities in the centre square and around the ground positioning himself to Marshall

To replicate Hannebery you need experience coupled with clean and quick hands and with kicking skills as and when they are required

Ross has experience

My observation is that Ross established as a lock down player on an opposition mid and that remains his value

This value has diminished due to Steele who is an improvement on Ross

The immediate conundrum of Steele, Ross and Dunstan is eased by Dunstan’s unfortunate and untimely injury

To see a couple of young mids bring another dimension in support of what Steele brings will only improve our side

In the same way Coffield, Clark, Long, Patton and Wilkie have improved our defence by adding another dimension

You can never have enough match winners

ace
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 8:07pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 4:40pm Jobe did happen to win a Brownlow Medal, how did nepotism play a part in that?

I didn't rate Jobe early in his career but he turned into a gun. He won me for all time with the manner he shouldered the responsibility for the hapless players when the Essendon administration and coaches failed to acknowledge their stuff up with the Dank fiasco. No doubt in my mind this shortened his career.

Seb seems to have the same demeanour and I am eternally grateful he plays for the Saints.
Jobe did NOT win a Brownlow Medal.
Thymosin Beta 4 won a Brownlow Medal.
It was then fairly awarded to Cochin and Mitchell

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

And I bet Cochin and Mitchell flash their medals about, telling great tales of how they were the fairest players of the season.

But they weren't the best.

Saint supporter since '62
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sun 05 Jul 2020 1:34pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 8:07pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 4:40pm Jobe did happen to win a Brownlow Medal, how did nepotism play a part in that?

Jobe did NOT win a Brownlow Medal.
Thymosin Beta 4 won a Brownlow Medal.
It was then fairly awarded to Cochin and Mitchell
Thymosin had a good year but failed to win the flag. Probably not Jobe's fault though.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 12:50am Ross is a player who plays at a standard that young guys like Byrnes and Bytel should aspire to emulate and then pass. He is consistent, he works hard and he gets the ball and converts that to disposals. While he has a few shockers, he is there competing, dishing out, running with and backing up. He even kicked on his right last night. Great athlete, average footballer and handy as f*** off the bench or in a run with role. I was uneasy with the idea he was our best and fairest, more as a reflection of the lack of talent but I'm really comfortable with him a defensive, run with, 2nd tier midfielder.
Absolutely - perfectly put. I did note above that deploying Seb in a more defensive role is an excellent use of his game craft and knowledge. Even more so if he can become a part of the bench rotation for our midfield and he does set a terrific example of being the human part of a human being.

Personally, I like the idea of deploying Seb more and more into that defensive mid role and letting Jack Steele loose (of course, Jack is perfectly suited to the massive bodied mids like Bont, Cripps, Danger and Fyfe) but Seb can do roles on guys like Oliver, Weller (or pretty much guys similar body shape to himself).

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 11:46am
Third highest possession winner on Thursday night with 21 possessions after Billings and Steele both with 23 possessions. But still hardly a vote from the "football experts" on SS. Why am I not surprised. It is the same most weeks.Has been for years. Glad the saint coaches value him. :D
Hey Saynta - I can read possession count like anyone else but honestly, that's so misguided in judging the effectiveness of a player. David King made a good point about Clayton Oliver yesterday - accumulating meaningless possessions; none of which damaged Richmond. That's how I've often viewed Seb (and Dunstan) - they get it a fair bit but they go sideways (slowly) and rarely open up the game ... hence my defence of Hanneberry's vision and decision-making and skill execution to hurt the opposition with a single handball.

I want Seb to be a valuable, effective member of our team - not just a mid who gets a game because there's no one else better.