Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:27pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:24pm
I wrote...wuss? What are you 5 years old?
In what universe does that comment = ridicule and being attacked?
The same universe where the term 'witch hunt' is used to describe people being asked to justify their opinions I guess.
Who was being asked to justify their opinion? I'm lost.

I really struggle to comprehend your posts Barry, and its not just your timeline confusion, fabrication of what is written or your extremism.

Perhaps its me and not you!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:20pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:10pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:06pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:51pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:45pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:37pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:23pm
Shaggy wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:14pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:43pm We have Saintsationals version of Salem going on here.

God forbid you have opinion that is non conformist or you'll be burnt at the stake for witchcraft (though I do think hanging was actually the preferred punishment of the day).
Opinions are great.

But when opinions are wrong we should own up to it rather than fight the good fight.

Nicky is the only person who knows so there is nothing to debate.

Witchcraft does not come into it so long as you respect others feelings regardless of whether you understand them.
Each member has their right to an opinion, but this right does not increase the validity of the opinion.

Can an opinion be wrong? I'd answer no as the individuals belief and reality is their opinion whether based on fact or hearsay, but stand to be corrected by the more knowledgeable.

In this instance there appears to be a witch hunt with the witchcraft word being thrown either directly or implied at anyone who is not following the forum adulating majority.
Do you stand against racism, if so when was the last time out of curiosity.
What does stand mean in your interpretation?
So for example, if you are with friends and they are being racist, what is your reaction.

Another example, if you are with your friends and they are making rape jokes, what is your reaction.
That is a very bizarre thing to write in my opinion.

I cannot recall a single time I have been with friends or colleagues who have made a rape joke or made racist comments in the last 20 years.

That being said, I do not attend anti racism rallies, I do not support the BLM movement.
I personally think all lives matter.

I employ a very multicultural workforce and treat all of them with dignity and respect.

Is there a race of people I am concerned with in this country? Yes!
Does that make me racist? Perhaps but you do not know a persons reality until you have walked in their shoes.
Ok so it's a hypothetical then, how would you react if a friend made a racist or rape joke.
I won't answer the rape joke, as I could never imagine a situation with anyone I am associated who would make a rape joke. I could not even think of a joke that would involve rape.

In regard to a racist joke, my reaction would be dependent upon the company and the location.
Would I call this hypothetical person out in front of a group and admonish them?
Honestly, no I would not. I'd may have a quiet word one on one later but most likely I'd ignore it altogether.
Ok another hypothetical. Say you were in the company of friends and they were making very mysoginistic and degrading jokes or comments about woman, how would you react?

Shaggy
Club Player

The Peanut wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:43pm Mike Sheahan quits podcast and apologises to Nicky Winmar

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... 6ce7be656f

Angry, hurt phone calls from Swans stars Adam Goodes and Michael O’Loughlin convinced commentator Mike Sheahan to apologise for questioning Nicky Winmar’s motivations during his iconic “I’m black and I’m proud” moment as another witness came forward to back the long-accepted account of the incident.
Mike should not quit the podcast. That is extreme.

But the apology was needed given the offence it has caused.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:31pm
I really struggle to comprehend your posts Barry...
Yeah, that sometimes happens when people that aren't as smart as they think they are chase the forum 'gotcha moment' when it's just not there.

Just read what's there, and you'll be able to comprehend my posts just fine.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

The same universe where the term 'witch hunt' is used to describe people being asked to justify their opinions I guess.

Considering the witch hunts involved burning human beings, I reckon there's a case to suggest that it's a bit extreme to roll with that terminology.
The definition of a witch hunt is a situation where accusations are made freely, especially against someone or something that is not popular with the majority.

Again you take the extremism view, instead of rolling with a modern accepted utilization of the phrase you revert to the burning humans.

You are an extremist Barry.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:35pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:31pm
I really struggle to comprehend your posts Barry...
Yeah, that sometimes happens when people that aren't as smart as they think they are chase the forum 'gotcha moment' when it's just not there.

Just read what's there, and you'll be able to comprehend my posts just fine.
:lol:

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:35pm

Considering the witch hunts involved burning human beings, I reckon there's a case to suggest that it's a bit extreme to roll with that terminology.
The definition of a witch hunt is a situation where accusations are made freely, especially against someone or something that is not popular with the majority.

Again you take the extremism view, instead of rolling with a modern accepted utilization of the phrase you revert to the burning humans.

You are an extremist Barry.
There's some cool irony there.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:32pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:43pm We have Saintsationals version of Salem going on here.

God forbid you have opinion that is non conformist or you'll be burnt at the stake for witchcraft (though I do think hanging was actually the preferred punishment of the day).
Opinions are great.

But when opinions are wrong we should own up to it rather than fight the good fight.

Witchcraft does not come into it so long as you respect others feelings regardless of whether you understand them.
Each member has their right to an opinion, but this right does not increase the validity of the opinion.

Can an opinion be wrong? I'd answer no as the individuals belief and reality is their opinion whether based on fact or hearsay, but stand to be corrected by the more knowledgeable.

In this instance there appears to be a witch hunt with the witchcraft word being thrown either directly or implied at anyone who is not following the forum adulating majority.
So for example, if you are with friends and they are being racist, what is your reaction.

Another example, if you are with your friends and they are making rape jokes, what is your reaction.

I cannot recall a single time I have been with friends or colleagues who have made a rape joke or made racist comments in the last 20 years.

That being said, I do not attend anti racism rallies, I do not support the BLM movement.

I employ a very multicultural workforce and treat all of them with dignity and respect.

Does that make me racist? Perhaps but you do not know a persons reality until you have walked in their shoes.
Ok so it's a hypothetical then, how would you react if a friend made a racist or rape joke.
I won't answer the rape joke, as I could never imagine a situation with anyone I am associated who would make a rape joke. I could not even think of a joke that would involve rape.

In regard to a racist joke, my reaction would be dependent upon the company and the location.
Would I call this hypothetical person out in front of a group and admonish them?
Honestly, no I would not. I'd may have a quiet word one on one later but most likely I'd ignore it altogether.
Ok another hypothetical. Say you were in the company of friends and they were making very mysoginistic and degrading jokes or comments about woman, how would you react?
Ok, I'd piss myself laughing and join in and try to top them with jokes about misogyny & racism combined, I'd even throw in a rape joke if I could look one up on my phone fast enough. I'd then leer and act creepy for the rest of the night and chuckle like a dirty old perv every time I relived the joke in my mind.

Happy now we've got that one sorted, can we move on? :roll:
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:41pm
Ok, I'd piss myself laughing and join in and try to top them, I'd even throw in a rape joke if I could look one up on my phone fast enough. I'd then leer and act creepy for the rest of the night and chuckle like a dirty old perv everytime I relived the joke in my mind.

Whoa.

Bit extreme don't you think?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Opinions are great.

Ok, I'd piss myself laughing and join in and try to top them, I'd even throw in a rape joke if I could look one up on my phone fast enough. I'd then leer and act creepy for the rest of the night and chuckle like a dirty old perv everytime I relived the joke in my mind.

Yep. I think we've established you're happy to admit you're a racist. I was trying to give you an out but clearly you don't want one.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:45pm

Whoa.

You really don't enjoy me pointing out you are an extremist, do you.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:46pm

Opinions are great.

Yep. I think we've established you're happy to admit you're a racist. I was trying to give you an out but clearly you don't want one.
Trying to give me an out? Are you suggesting I was trapped in your myriad of questions and couldn't see you agenda? :lol:

Grow up SK, I couldn't give a hairy rats ringer whether you think I'm a racist or a misogynist or both combined.

Even Barry Grogen could see where your sneaky :lol: questions were heading, and that's saying something.

If you are of the opinion I'm a racist, just write it, don't hide behind the you're happy to admit you're a racist crap.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:48pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:45pm

Whoa.

You really don't enjoy me pointing out you are an extremist, do you.
I don't mind. I've certainly never viewed myself that way. But I'm open to others' opinions.

Maybe I am.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:57pm

I'm a racist
You said it earlier in this thread and I was surprised with your free admission. Sad really.

<1 week ban for quoting out of context purely to bait a poster>

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Joffa you obviously didn't pay attention to Mark Twain_

Never argue with....

Secret Kiel
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 11:13pm Joffa you obviously didn't pay attention to Mark Twain_

Never argue with....
Becuse bystanders will see who the racist is?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:57pm Grow up SK, I couldn't give a hairy rats ringer whether you think I'm a racist or a misogynist or both combined.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

What is really sad is your desperation and need to cut and paste my above quote into your below one to suit your agenda?

You really are a poor old sad sack of cr@p SK, I actually feel pity for you to stoop top that level.
That's it for me on that topic with you.
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 11:08pm
I'm a racist
You said it earlier in this thread and I was surprised with your free admission. Sad really.

mcadam05
Club Player

here are the two footy shows from the following day

Ch 7

Ch 9

Make your own mind up on how it was covered

Trigger warning Don Scott covered the game for ch 7

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 11:32pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:57pm Grow up SK, I couldn't give a hairy rats ringer whether you think I'm a racist or a misogynist or both combined.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

What is really sad is your desperation and need to cut and paste my above quote into your below one to suit your agenda?

You really are a poor old sad sack of cr@p SK, I actually feel pity for you to stoop top that level.
That's it for me on that topic with you.
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 11:08pm
I'm a racist
All you have to do is say I stand against racism.
But oh no! Youre too much of a self proclaimed business man that is way too important to be taught new tricks. But please take the opportunity to big note yourself by telling us again how well you treat your staff.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 11:34pm here are the two footy shows from the following day
No one is disputing how it was reprted at the time.

It's irrelevant.

The issue isn't about opinions from the time.

You're missing the entire point.

The issue is that it was suggested that Winmar has been bullshitting about it.

The issue is that the suggestion was that it wasn't an iconic moment at all. The suggestion was that it has all been a hoax - that Winmar has 'dined off it' because it suited his personal agenda to roll with the anti-racism theme even though that's never what it was about at all.

It's grossly offensive to Winmar. It's absolutely defamatory. I don't know how it can construed any other way.

The whole 'come on fellas, it's just an opinion' thing is so far off the mark it's not funny.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:34pm

He's quitting cause he can't handle the heat of being held to account about what you say.

He's lost. The same as a lot of old white folk are these days.

They don't get it. And they aren't used to it.

The thing is, he doesn't have to quit anything. He's still allowed his views - but he needs to accept that he'll be challenged on them by people.

That's nothing to drop his bundle over.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name (Confusius).

Histrionics...

:roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Wed 01 Jul 2020 12:25am

He's quitting cause he can't handle the heat of being held to account about what you say.

The thing is, he doesn't have to quit anything. He's still allowed his views - but he needs to accept that he'll be challenged on them by people.

It's you that doesn't get it ffs. Sheahan quite because he didn't want to be tarred with the same brush as the other two pricks.

Nothing to do with his age or skin colour. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BarryGrogan
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 01 Jul 2020 11:05am
It's you that doesn't get it ffs. Sheahan quite because he didn't want to be tarred with the same brush as the other two pricks.

Nothing to do with his age or skin colour. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Mike has been called out quite a few times for 'backward' views on many things. Particularly in relation to AFLW and whether chicks should be playing footy or not.

He seems perplexed each time and gets really rattled at being taken to account for his views.

This is the same.

He's confused.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Wed 01 Jul 2020 12:25am

Clearly, CLEARLY, this is JBs issue also which is very plain to see from how this thread has played out. Many privileged white folk like JB still don't understand what rasism is or how thier "opinions" are hurtful and harmful and they just don't get that all you have to do is be respectful when someone asks you to stop engaging in hurtful behavior when asked to do so. It's this simple, just try not to be a <edited by mods> ...just try.