Is Geary injured??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Geary injured??

Enrico_Misso wrote: Mon 15 Jun 2020 9:10pm Don't just look at the stats!

Apart from reducing the Dogs key play-maker lines-runner to an ineffectual game, Gear's set up an inspirational goal with a brilliant tap to King who passed to Hill which led to a Butler goal.

It was a pivotal moment in the game.
Had Gears taken possession he would most likely have been tackled or forced to retreat ground.
But he knew King was there and executed perfectly.
It was a heads-down moment for the Dogs and the moment when it looked like we would win the game.

And that brilliant match-winning tap from Gears earned him ZERO stats.
Yes it was a brilliant tap and his awareness of King was A+ however Butler in that passage was phenomenal

Butler who was dead centre wing ran on and received the handball from Jones 70m out then handballed to Geary who tapped it to King who turned around and handballed back to Butler who had kept running and then from the 50 hit up Hill with his left foot and then continued running to receive a dodgy handball from Hill at his feet which he calmly picked up on the half volley and then ran into an open goal 2m out.

So he started on the wing received the ball 3 times and dribbled through a soda from point blank

Brilliant from Butler :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 9:13pm He’ll be a big loss Geary. Was very good on Sunday.

Will be a big test for Ratten too.

Thought we went with too many small FPs in round 1 and had a much better balanced team this week. Personally, I’d like to see us bring Roberton back and rejig the backline. Bringing Kent back will be a mistake
Matthew Parker or Johnathon Marsh anyone.
But would be nice to get a glimpse of Jack Bytel.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 9:13pm He’ll be a big loss Geary. Was very good on Sunday.

Thought we went with too many small FPs in round 1 and had a much better balanced team this week. Personally, I’d like to see us bring Roberton back and rejig the backline. Bringing Kent back will be a mistake

It will be interesting to see who they select.

I don't think that we need a defensive forward though. But yes we do have to be mindful of Howe's intercept marking, but I think that is more about smart ball entry.

Pies are not the quickest team, whereas Saints are now a very quick team.

WE HAVE MANY OPTIONS
With our small forwards having gone ok, I am not sure that Kent will add much. Though he would make us quicker.

Robbo for his class and smarts.

Parker for pace and marking target and can play small to tall.

Langlands I quite like.

Sinclair is a good link player.

Marsh is very quick and big.

Battle the most unlucky player given his form last year.

Oh and I forgot about Dunstan. One of best against the Roos, but not sure he can force his way back in.

Ratts has many good options, and so it will be interesting to see what tweak he puts on the team to play the Pies.

Also horses for courses' could mean an extra change, but as we played so well against the Dogs Ratts may be reluctant to make more than the one change.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 16 Jun 2020 11:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Shaggy
Club Player

ace wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 10:22pm

Matthew Parker or Johnathon Marsh anyone.
But would be nice to get a glimpse of Jack Bytel.
Parker, Marsh and Battle are the three players I think are very stiff not to be in our side. We have serious depth now but not the champions at the top end yet. Clark, Billings & Marshall are getting there.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Seems Roberton is badly underdone.
Once fully match fit there will be room for him due to injuries to other players.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 10:46pm

It will be interesting to see who they select.

I don't think that we need a defensive forward though. But yes we do have to be mindful of Howe's intercept marking, but I think that is more about smart ball entry.

Pies are not the quickest team, whereas Saints are now a very quick team.

WE HAVE MANY OPTIONS
With our small forwards having gone ok, I am not sure that Kent will add much. Though he would make us quicker.

Robbo for his class and smarts.

Parker for pace and marking target and can play small to tall.

Langlands I quite like.

Sinclair is a good link player.

Marsh is very quick and big.

Battle the most unlucky player given his form last year.

Oh and I forgot about Dunstan. One of best against the Roos, but not sure he can force his way back in.

Ratts has many good options, and so it will be interesting to see what tweak he puts on the team to play the Pies.

Also horses for courses' could mean an extra change, but as we played so well against the Dogs Ratts may be reluctant to make more than the one change.
I would add Marsh and Battle for Gears and Hind.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 17 Jun 2020 12:20pm, edited 2 times in total.

longtimesaint
Club Player

This would make us a bit too tall and Hind has great speed which is a positive.

One year will be our year
saynta
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Wed 17 Jun 2020 12:18pm This would make us a bit too tall and Hind has great speed which is a positive.
Hind didn't have a great game. Dispensable imho.

The filth is a tall slowish team.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Wed 17 Jun 2020 12:21pm
longtimesaint wrote: Wed 17 Jun 2020 12:18pm This would make us a bit too tall and Hind has great speed which is a positive.
Hind didn't have a great game. Dispensable imho.

The filth is a tall slowish team.
I guess it's about perspective. My view is that a slow, poor kicking Dunstan (whom is brave but very one dimensional player) is better replaced by a player like Hind. Hind can run and carry and play as a h/f, f/p, h/b or wingman. Luke - in contrast - can pretty much only play as an inside mid. All I want Hind to do is be the link man (usually via handball) in a chain of possession and then keep moving to remain in the chain. His leg speed enables that and he's also a natural goalkicker.

Personally, if this season starts going a little south at some point - I'd very much like to see Luke NOT play and then just play Bytel. He's a much much better version of Luke.

Go you red, black & white warriors
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The other point is that Hind is a player that you’d want to build up and see if he gets better rather than drop after 1 game.
As of right now it’s not exactly clear where we even want to play him so realistically how realistic is it that he will excel right away. Especially if there’s no reserves.

Lot of players of the list that haven’t really gotten better over time... kid deserves a shot

spert
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 17 Jun 2020 2:25pm The other point is that Hind is a player that you’d want to build up and see if he gets better rather than drop after 1 game.
As of right now it’s not exactly clear where we even want to play him so realistically how realistic is it that he will excel right away. Especially if there’s no reserves.

Lot of players of the list that haven’t really gotten better over time... kid deserves a shot
Was Hind used in a more defensive forward role agains the Dogs? He may not have stuck out, but I think he did some handy work off the ball. I'm wondering if players like Parker may not be the ideal Ratts kind of player in the scheme of things- he was a bit of a long shot to recruit anyway.