2004 prelim

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

2004 prelim

Wanganeen and Cornes chat on 2004 prelim.
Interesting part is from about 1 minute in around the crowd invasion after Gehrigs 100th.

As many on here have stated it was significant as we were dominating at that point, I remember watching on TV and thinking get off the ground you F#cken morons.

I still recall members of this forum defending the fans who invaded and even referenced the story of Steve Bakers dad being one of them.

At about 1.30 in the video you see Roo have a mini confrontation with a saints fan (or a port fan dressed as a saint). Roo was not happy.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/391148/i-w ... 6468442001

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2004 prelim

It’s a great tradition running into the ground and I hope it continues.

Blaming this on losing the game? Nah, load of crap.

older saint
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 10 Apr 2020 10:46am Wanganeen and Cornes chat on 2004 prelim.
Interesting part is from about 1 minute in around the crowd invasion after Gehrigs 100th.

As many on here have stated it was significant as we were dominating at that point, I remember watching on TV and thinking get off the ground you F#cken morons.

I still recall members of this forum defending the fans who invaded and even referenced the story of Steve Bakers dad being one of them.

At about 1.30 in the video you see Roo have a mini confrontation with a saints fan (or a port fan dressed as a saint). Roo was not happy.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/391148/i-w ... 6468442001
Lost the momentum on what could have been a 5 goal quarter time lead. The whole thing actually sums up the clubs history, circumstances some self generated some out of control , stopping that allusive second flag

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Best wishes to Kim and her 2 year old son in this terrible time.
I hope she pulls through.

I knew the family when Kim was younger then again a little bit after the School girl fiasco through athletics.
Kim was a reasonable runner and high jumper and returned to the track and training after her issues.
There was always a lot of pressure on her from her dad growing up and her younger sister copped more than was reasonable through Kims infamy, so yes there is some sympathy from me.

She had always been a rebellious type but super smart while also immature and impulsive, I know it sounds contrary. At 15 or 16 she got involved with an older girl in her early 20's who was a footy groupie and Kim followed her into the groupie party lifestyle. We all know what happened after she was scorned.

Some of the things she did were unforgivable to people such as Nick Reiwoldt but you have to chuckle/marvel that a 16 YO school girl brought down the most powerful player agent in the country.

I always thought she'd end up very successful in a Monika Lewinski style story, hopefully she survives and still does.

I hope she pulls through and has a good life for her and her child.

She lives up your way Secret Keil, doesn't she?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 10 Apr 2020 2:50pm Best wishes to Kim and her 2 year old son in this terrible time.

I knew the family when Kim was younger then again a little bit after the School girl fiasco through athletics.
Kim was a reasonable runner and high jumper and returned to the track and training after her issues.
There was always a lot of pressure on her from her dad growing up and her younger sister copped more than was reasonable through Kims infamy, so yes there is some sympathy from me.

She had always been a rebellious type but super smart while also immature and impulsive, I know it sounds contrary. At 15 or 16 she got involved with an older girl in her early 20's who was a footy groupie and Kim followed her into the groupie party lifestyle. We all know what happened after she was scorned.

Some of the things she did were unforgivable to people such as Nick Reiwoldt but you have to chuckle/marvel that a 16 YO school girl brought down the most powerful player agent in the country.

I always thought she'd end up very successful in a Monika Lewinski style story, hopefully she survives and still does.

I think you're in the wrong thread JB, I'm curious, where do I live?

As a side note I just checked out her gofundme page JB and from comments her Mum makes it sadly looks like she isn't going to win her battle. Interestingly I noted Fox Footy donated $500.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 10 Apr 2020 3:08pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 10 Apr 2020 2:50pm Best wishes to Kim and her 2 year old son in this terrible time.

As a side note I just checked out her gofundme page JB and from comments her Mum makes it sadly looks like she isn't going to win her battle. Interestingly I noted Fox Footy donated $500.
Yep, wrong thread :lol: Don't you live up north QLD way?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman moved to Highett iirc

BarryGrogan
Club Player

We just couldn't stop Roger James.

We were too inexperienced. Port were seasoned.

There's a reason young teams rarely win flags.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 11 Apr 2020 11:56am We just couldn't stop Roger James.

We were too inexperienced. Port were seasoned.

There's a reason young teams rarely win flags.
Mmm...
It’s something that’s overlooked a bit when comparing 04 to 09
Riewoldt, Hayes, Goddard, Ball, Dal Santo, Kosi, Montagna, Fisher, Milne, Baker - with the exception of Ball and Kosi (Clarke and Maguire too but all are more an injury/development thing), the rest were shadows of the players they went on to become

04/05 model really was dependent on a Fraser Gehrig and a Robert Harvey to close the gap of elite players with finals experience
Hamil was there but fell away to injuries
Powell was good but not elite

Jones, Thompson, Hudghton all had major strengths and deficiencies

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

“Allan Scott you were wrong” Imagine if Port had sacked Choco in 2003.

Imagine if The Cats had sacked Bomber Thompson in 2006.

We had the young talent. We had the momentum with the pain and experience and the hunger and motivation that comes after 3 finals campaigns in a row 2004-2006. Imagine if the Saints president wasn’t planning to take GT to court.

.....thanks Rod

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 12 Apr 2020 10:08am “Allan Scott you were wrong” Imagine if Port had sacked Choco in 2003.

We had the young talent. We had the momentum with the pain and experience and the hunger and motivation that comes after 3 finals campaigns in a row 2004-2006. Imagine if the Saints president wasn’t planning to take GT to court.

.....thanks Rod
I don't get this, which could be due to my incredibly low tolerance for the victim's mentality which is what it seems you have. 2 years later we were in successive GFs, is that not opportunity created by largely the same core group of players. Why does it always have to be an individual's fault. It seems you progressed from Butters to Lyon with your blaming.

Couldn't it just be we weren't good enough or lucky enough on the day? It happens...a lot. Mistakes are made, we move on. I look back on the period between 2002 to 2011 as a really good and happy time at the club. That period gave us so much enjoyment and entertainment.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 10 Apr 2020 3:08pm

Yep sounds like she’s cooked - kidney failure now.

At least there are plenty of spare ICU beds

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 12 Apr 2020 12:46pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 12 Apr 2020 10:08am “Allan Scott you were wrong” Imagine if Port had sacked Choco in 2003.

.....thanks Rod
I don't get this, which could be due to my incredibly low tolerance for the victim's mentality which is what it seems you have. 2 years later we were in successive GFs, is that not opportunity created by largely the same core group of players. Why does it always have to be an individual's fault. It seems you progressed from Butters to Lyon with your blaming.

Couldn't it just be we weren't good enough or lucky enough on the day? It happens...a lot. Mistakes are made, we move on. I look back on the period between 2002 to 2011 as a really good and happy time at the club. That period gave us so much enjoyment and entertainment.

I have always loathed the decision by Rod to sack GT and I knew it was the wrong decision at that time and unfortunately for our club we had a brilliant team (as you rightly point out and the momentum was lost while other teams went past us).

I have always loathed the decisions made by Ross regarding team selection and drafting and development of youth and especially the opportunity lost during the middle and latter part of home and away in 2009 which robbed the best of our players being in their best form during the finals. I also loathed his coaching on GF day. I loathed his penchant to scapegoat and blame others instead of accepting responsibility at the time.

I started admiring Ross for his leadership and what he was able to achieve for the team in 2010, but again mistakes were made and we missed out on an opportunity to bag a second premiership. Ross recently admitted in an interview (I think it was with Mike Sheehan) where he didn’t lead well after the drawn GF and he failed to lift and motivate his troops as well as he should have. So what does he do and what do the Saints do in the trade period...they recruit hacks and C graders expecting them to be the difference? Or was it RL looking after RL?

I was extremely passed off when Ross declared that it was ‘the end of an era’ at the Saints when it was April 2011. When your leader stops having faith in his troops and when your coach starts doubting the list, how on hell is the team supposed to believe that they can collectively achieve the ultimate? This was at least a few years before Lenny retired and Roo, Dal, BJ, Milne, Joey and... even some of his faves in Gilbo, Jones, Joe Blake and Zac Dawson still had years to go before they retired

Do you understand the mentality here? The list had deprived the greatest coach coaching AFL at the time of taking his rightful place in the history books. It was all their doing. They were not good enough. He’d done all he could.

I still remained optimistic up until that last game that RL coached for the Saints and I was confused at the way we went down in the elimination final against the Swans. I reckon we were probably the best team in the latter half of 2011 and we would have given both Collingwood and Geelong a good run. I knew that the Coaching/leadership/development and drafting mistakes under Lyon were going to impact the Saints for many years to come.

I’m sad and concerned for all those fans who have stuck fat over the years and they might miss out on ever seeing us win another flag. I’m concerned also that we have lost an opportunity to cement a much larger membership base and the opportunities lost for extra sponsorship money had we been lucky enough to have won a second flag...and all the benefits that extra dollars provide to players and the football department

Fitzroy were my second favourite team growing up. They gave me so much enjoyment and entertainment in the 80’s.