Ross Lyon dummyspit collection wanted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: Ross Lyon dummyspit collection wanted

You're the one who is "making stuff up", Steven Kiel, and creating imaginary arguments where there aren't none ... I think we should just leave you argue among yourselves - i.e, Steven, yourself and you.
Why do you need us?

Here's a prediction ....

Scollop and I are just wasting our time, and we'll therefore be moving on.

takeaway
Club Player

samoht wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 10:21am
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 9:11am Ironically the visionaries in this thread conveniently forget that the 09 team was perfectly built for September footy, which is evident in the truly gritty finals gsmes against the Pies and Dogs. In both of those games we were jumped early on the scoreboard. Can't remember what the final score in both of those games was but they must of been wins becuase we played in the GF.

Also I can't exactly remember walking into the MCG on GF day thinking negative thoughts about the head coach and I definitely don't remember being convinced our head coach wasn't going to take us to the promised land. If there is anybody claiming they were convinced on that day then can you please immediately drop everything you are doing and give Basset a call and demand that you replace Ratten as head coach effective immediately.

Oh and please spare us the boring and overly regurgitated clap trap about how Armo playing instead of Eddy would have made the difference. Those type of wank claims are just embarrassing.
I'm trying to be as polite as possible here ... while you continue to direspect.

You are speaking for yourself - there are other views .

Re: the final vs Bulldog - they had 20 more inside 50's and Harbrow once again ended up with around 40 possesions from the half back line. His two highest possession games - over his career - were against St Kilda - he was allowed free rein.
What happened to our defensive pressure all of a sudden?
It was a fair forum question to ask.

Other forumites were asking why Eddy was continually being picked, while Armo who'd played a massive , massive game vs the Hawks in the weeks leading into the finals was being overlooked.
Armo was not picked in the 2009 GF.

Why not Armo?
Again, a valid forum question to ask.

We just beat the Bulldogs by 7 points in the prelim because we had a champion forward in Riewoldt who was unstoppable that day - and they lacked one - that was the difference at the end.
We only had 40 inside 50's - they finished with 20 more.
I think you have a distorted view of that match. Harbrow was a good player but not the Bulldog's best - Griffen, Boyd were ahead of him, even Hahn and Cross. 40 possessions? Didn't think that was right - if you look it up, he had 23. Not that dominant. Our main tagger, Jones, was on Cooney, you can't tag everyone, you have to have enough attacking balance to win the game. Hayes, Riewolt, Fisher & Dal Sando played outstanding games we won.

Armo for Eddy - yes Armo had a good game vs Hawks, but wasn't too good the next week vs Bombers. Might have been correctly overlooked, how do we know?

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 10:22am You’re very good at put downs and trying to belittle others

You’re very good with weasel words and with clever anecdotes

...but one thing you’re not good at or you have yet to display is any predictive ability regarding footy. This is a footy forum. Most of us enjoy forecasting and expressing opinions on players, tactics and coaches. You lack the ability to have foresight.

A lot of people on here understand Aussie rules far far better than you Steven Kiel
Pretty hard to be predictive about events 10 years ago. Not sure you are qualified to state posters lack foresight and have far less understanding of Aussie Rules than others. How on earth would you know? I haven't seen any evidence of your "predictive ability", and what does that really matter on a football forum anyway?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

samoht wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 11:23am You're the one who is "making stuff up", Steven Kiel, and creating imaginary arguments where there aren't none ... I think we should just leave you argue among yourselves - i.e, Steven, yourself and you.
Why do you need us?

Here's a prediction ....

Scollop and I are just wasting our time, and we'll therefore be moving on.
As Takeaway said, you have a distorted view, so much so you believe you could predict throughout the 09 finals campaign and before the GF that Lyon was never going to win us a flag. It's just plain made up stuff and you are trying to defend your delusionment that is derived from games that were played over 10 years ago. Anyone can play that ridiculous game, funny thing is Harbrow has a real weakness, it's what allows coaches to let him rack up possessions, it's a weakness he's had it since his Cane Cutter days.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Harbrow Career Highs
Disposals 36 v St Kilda, 30th Apr 2010

I might have got the dates wrong - it's a long time ago, but our defensive pressure was definitely tapering off badly at the end of 2009.
And Harbrow did have his career high stats vs St Kilda during Lyon's 2010 year.

Also in 2010 ...
Thomas, Shaw and Harry O' Brien - we couldn't stop/restrict their damaging half-back rebound.
Our defensive pressure had definiely tapered off.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 07 Apr 2020 12:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 06 Apr 2020 12:27pm
saynta wrote: Mon 06 Apr 2020 11:38am
takeaway wrote: Sun 05 Apr 2020 7:03pm
saynta wrote: Sun 05 Apr 2020 6:40pm
takeaway wrote: Sun 05 Apr 2020 2:27pm
saynta wrote: Sun 05 Apr 2020 1:48pm
samoht wrote: Sun 05 Apr 2020 1:44pm Ended up a 0-10, predictable, humdrum coach, and was wisely replaced by Freo, who finally saw the light.
This is a team boasting Fyfe, Neale, Mundy, Walters, Brad Hill, etc.. and having a distinct home ground advantage.
0-10! How is it even possible that Freo went from playing in a GF one year to starting the next year 0-10?
Yep, the useless tosser lost three grannies with teams other coaches would have romped in with.

The guy's a loser. Pity is , he was our loser when we had the best teams.
For the Saints, RL has the best win loss ratio of any Saints coach in home and away 66% (by some margin). Equal best ratio in finals 50% (and better than Jeans)

Funny, a floating bomb by Breen got the point, and a flag, a right angle bounce in front of Milne didn't get the goal, an allowed non goal to Geelong made the difference.

Doesn't take much to change from a Saints hero to a useless tosser (according to some). I'll take that "useless tosser's" record any day.

I think it has more to do with Ross departing the Saints, not based on coaching performance.
Depends how you look at it.Q

He had great lists and great teams which he decimated in the end. Cost us two flags with his poor selections and not putting our best players on the ground, with the excuse ."oh I forgot"

He wouldn't play the kids or develop young players. Cost us three who are now getting regular games with other teams.

He played injured players in three grand finals including a player who had been in hospital overnight on a drip.

In the end he cost us a pissed off former captain and an overlooked fullback wh together took our Ip over to the filth and who played a significant role in our grannie losses in 2010.

You can stick up for him all you want and you are entitled to your opinions.

Jeans was a great coach and proved it, The tosser was an ordinary coach and proved that with 4 grand final losses.

I just don't agree with you, including my reasons for despising the creep.

Dropkick Imhfo. :roll:
"He proved he was an ordinary coach with 4 Grand final losses" ..... Really? Most coaches come and go without getting near a Grand final. Anyway, you are entitled to your view, which I would think the vast majority of players that played under him, and many of the staff involved would totally disagree with. Difficult character at times, but so were many other very very good coaches.
I also said that a good coach would have romped in those grannies with the teams the tosser had at his disposal.
OK, missed that. Romped in? Really ? Your view, and in my view, another false statement. Geelong and Collingwood in those grannies had pretty decent sides, with the Pies being generally acknowledged as the best side in 2010 - we did very well to almost pip them.
We are both entitled to our views and we can agree to disagree with each other.

Nothing you could ever say will change my views on the tosser flosser.

The guy's a prick as was shown by the way he left our club and got the Freo gig.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Mon 06 Apr 2020 7:51pm Should have sacked him immediately after '09 GF.
He said he "forgot" Ball on the bench for most of second half.
Either incompetent or a liar or both.
That's right he and his mate Misson said Ball was only capable of 6 minutes at a time.
Can anybody tell me how many minutes he played in 2010 GFs?
Never has such truer words been spoken on this forum. I'm going with incompetent liar,

Secret Kiel
Club Player

samoht wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 12:11pm Harbrow Career Highs

I might have got the dates wrong - it's a long time ago, but our defensive pressure was definitely tapering off badly at the end of 2009.

Also in 2010 ...
Thomas, Shaw and Harry O' Brien - we couldn't stop/restrict their damaging half-back rebound.
You are getting a lot wrong and just more made up stuff by you. It wasn't dropping away, it was getting better, there were teams that were getting better as the season got longer but many ran out of season to beat our system. If my memory serves me correctly we broke all types of records in games for defense including the GF. I think many of those records still stand today. But you keep on your tact.

Harbrow was a headless chicken who you could let run around all day with the pill, you still can, and as I say it was a weekness he's had since his days at the Cutters.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 12:24pm

Also in 2010 ...
You are getting a lot wrong and just more made up stuff by you. It wasn't dropping away, it was getting better, there were teams that were getting better as the season got longer but many ran out of season to beat our system. If my memory serves me correctly we broke all types of records in games for defense including the GF. I think many of those records still stand today. But you keep on your tact.

Harbrow was a headless chicken who you could let run around all day with the pill, you still can, and as I say it was a weekness he's had since his days at the Cutters.
Weakness ffs. :roll:

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 12:26pm

Also in 2010 ...

Was that posted while driving your Monaro...🤣🤣🤣

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 12:27pm
saynta wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 12:26pm

Also in 2010 ...

Was that posted while driving your Monaro...🤣🤣🤣
No. After reading your cappy posts. :wink:

takeaway
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 12:17pm
samoht wrote: Sun 05 Apr 2020 1:44pm Ended up a 0-10, predictable, humdrum coach, and was wisely replaced by Freo, who finally saw the light.
This is a team boasting Fyfe, Neale, Mundy, Walters, Brad Hill, etc.. and having a distinct home ground advantage.
0-10! How is it even possible that Freo went from playing in a GF one year to starting the next year 0-10?
Yep, the useless tosser lost three grannies with teams other coaches would have romped in with.

For the Saints, RL has the best win loss ratio of any Saints coach in home and away 66% (by some margin). Equal best ratio in finals 50% (and better than Jeans)

Funny, a floating bomb by Breen got the point, and a flag, a right angle bounce in front of Milne didn't get the goal, an allowed non goal to Geelong made the difference.

Doesn't take much to change from a Saints hero to a useless tosser (according to some). I'll take that "useless tosser's" record any day.

I think it has more to do with Ross departing the Saints, not based on coaching performance.

He had great lists and great teams which he decimated in the end. Cost us two flags with his poor selections and not putting our best players on the ground, with the excuse ."oh I forgot"

He wouldn't play the kids or develop young players. Cost us three who are now getting regular games with other teams.

He played injured players in three grand finals including a player who had been in hospital overnight on a drip.

In the end he cost us a pissed off former captain and an overlooked fullback wh together took our Ip over to the filth and who played a significant role in our grannie losses in 2010.

Jeans was a great coach and proved it, The tosser was an ordinary coach and proved that with 4 grand final losses.

"He proved he was an ordinary coach with 4 Grand final losses" ..... Really? Most coaches come and go without getting near a Grand final. Anyway, you are entitled to your view, which I would think the vast majority of players that played under him, and many of the staff involved would totally disagree with. Difficult character at times, but so were many other very very good coaches.
I also said that a good coach would have romped in those grannies with the teams the tosser had at his disposal.
OK, missed that. Romped in? Really ? Your view, and in my view, another false statement. Geelong and Collingwood in those grannies had pretty decent sides, with the Pies being generally acknowledged as the best side in 2010 - we did very well to almost pip them.

The guy's a prick as was shown by the way he left our club and got the Freo gig.
Aha, so the real reason for your view of Ross as a coach comes down entirely to his departure as per your last line. Thought so.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 12:43pm

Aha, so the real reason for your view of Ross as a coach comes down entirely to his departure as per your last line. Thought so.
Rubbish. My views on the tosser are that he was an ordinary coach as I have expressed above and which is evidenced by his eventual failures and also that he is a prick as evidenced by the way he left the Saints and wormed his way to Freo. To entirely different things.

That's not too difficult to understand, is it?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 12:53pm
Rubbish. My views on the tosser are that he was an ordinary coach as I have expressed above and which is evidenced by his eventual failures and also that he is a prick as evidenced by the way he left the Saints and wormed his way to Freo. To entirely different things.

How did you feel about Lyon in September 2009 right up until the final siren.

takeaway
Club Player

As you said, we agree to disagree. You think he is a useless tosser, a creep, and I think he is a very good, but not great, coach. I think I know where most football people sit on that one.

One further point - you say above he played injured players in GFs, I would be interested if there was any Grand final in AFL history where on either team one or more players were "under a cloud" before the match and in effect went into the GF injured. For instance, in 1966, a "great" coach in Allan Jeans played Baldock on one leg, Morrow with an elbow injury, and Verdun Howell not fully fit.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 06 Apr 2020 12:30pm The really weak argument from those who have lauded his coaching and repeatedly claimed he was a great coach, was that some of us were dirty on Ross for the way that he left St Kilda and we changed our mind about him ‘only’ after he departed. There were quite a few voices criticising his methods and game plan and team selection in 2009/2010 ( both of which ultimately cost us) and especially his influence on drafting in those years which went on to cost the team for many years after he departed.

Not sure if this has ever been discussed, but perhaps some of the salary cap issues that St Kilda faced in 2012 and 2013 were partly the fault of one Ross Lyon. There is no way on earth that he would have had zero input during 2009/2010 when negotiations for future contracts were taking place for Roo/Dal/Kosi/Goddard etc...
Now he is responsible for drafting and contracts? Delusional.

You are the most salty of the salty brigade. You didn’t criticise once in 2009 nor 2010. Only after you were scorned.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 1:39pm

As you said, we agree to disagree. You think he is a useless tosser, a creep, and I think he is a very good, but not great, coach. I think I know where most football people sit on that one.

One further point - you say above he played injured players in GFs, I would be interested if there was any Grand final in AFL history where on either team one or more players were "under a cloud" before the match and in effect went into the GF injured. For instance, in 1966, a "great" coach in Allan Jeans played Baldock on one leg, Morrow with an elbow injury, and Verdun Howell not fully fit.
Eddy, who shouldn't have been selected, just on ability alone played with broken bones. :roll

If people in the footy world were being totally honest and they never are,, I think most would agree with me.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 1:21pm

He lost me in that last quarter with his failure to put Ball back on the oval. f****** idiot.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 1:59pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 1:21pm

He lost me in that last quarter with his failure to put Ball back on the oval. f****** idiot.
Don't ever stop being just a little bit kooky and whole lot batzhit crazy. We need you in these unprecedented times.

aaron82
Club Player

People forget that we were 23 inside 50s up on Geelong at half time of the Grand Final. Still finished +16. Eddy didn’t get a game in the 09 GF side either. I’m not sure Ross can be blamed for Schneider missing from the point of the square, McQualter from 20 out, Milne not making the distance when he attempted to skid one through in the second quarter, the list of missed chances was enormous.

In my view, we were poor against the dogs mainly due to the weeks rest from the 1st finals win. Most teams who have the break are generally off the boil, it happens every finals series.

In 2010, the night Riewoldt shredded his hammy in round 3 against Collingwood hurt badly. Coupled with a lot of our intel going with Hudgton & Ball made it a big challenge.

Ross made a lot of errors particularly the leaving of Ball on the bench in 09 but at the same time he & the team were dreadfully unlucky.

Ross left the club in a very poor state. A lot of it was his doing but as someone earlier alluded our salary cap was stretched with the top 12 taking up 60%. I question Matthew Drain & the Footy First board in this space

and that's the bottom line
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

There were a few ppl on this forum that started questioning team balance and game plan late 09...
not with any major degree of misgiving by any means as most were focusing on a potential GF win but as has been suggested on this thread, there was some conversation happening leading into the finals.

The running backs, the loss of form of both King and Gardiner and having both in the team... issues with Ball and Hudghton are a few things that I remember.
Ppl forget that up until 2009, RL had a reasonable number of critics that were seemingly silenced during the streak.

In 2010 there was a small but very vocal contingent here that were concerned regarding the continued selection of players like McQualter and Dempster that were playing badly in addition to perceptions that a number of players at times seemed very restricted by injury.
There was also a growing chorus that wanted to see more of Armitage and Steven earlier and more consistently.

Not particularly wanting to weigh in as this topic has been done to death but criticisms/concerns were being voiced from late 09 and gathered a bit of steam in 2010... but yes they grew considerably after the draw.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Back in 09 and 10 nearly 99.999% of our supporters thought Lyon was capable of coaching our club to a flag.

There wasnt one expert in the industry disagreeing.

I hope the 0.001% of our supporters who strongly believe they are capable of predicting the future never ever stop posting on footy forums.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

skeptic wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 5:07pm There were a few ppl on this forum that started questioning team balance and game plan late 09...
....<snip>
there were many people in 09 that started questioning his team selection and game plan - the trouble was any voices of "dissent" were quickly howled down by the new mantra of "In Ross We Trust" Those voices were deemed unsupporters

The usual retort was dont you enjoy the success - and for many games for me - nah not really - as it was not pretty to watch. And a game between Stkilda and the Swans was like going to the dentist
A recent thread asking for your favourite season regaled in the '97 year in very stark difference to Ross the Boss era

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 5:55pm Back in 09 and 10 nearly 99.999% of our supporters thought Lyon was capable of coaching our club to a flag.
No
In those two years I hoped the team would win the flag

The signs were there in 2010
5 mins into the GF replay game Leigh Matthews commented that Ross has lined the team up "exactly" as last week - ".. and Buckley will love this"
The margin speaks for itself

Seeya
Secret Kiel
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 6:22pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 07 Apr 2020 5:55pm Back in 09 and 10 nearly 99.999% of our supporters thought Lyon was capable of coaching our club to a flag.
No
In those two years I hoped the team would win the flag

The signs were there in 2010
5 mins into the GF replay game Leigh Matthews commented that Ross has lined the team up "exactly" as last week - ".. and Buckley will love this"
The margin speaks for itself
Due to rounding the figure is still 99.999%

If you can recruit 4 more visionaries the figure will be significantly reduced to 99.998%, it shouldn't be hard, just hang out in this thread for a little while longer.