Geary should not be captain in 2020 because he is not in our best 22 (IMHFO).......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary should not be captain in 2020 because he is not in our best 22 (IMHFO).......

He'll be 32 this year and if we don't seriously start developing genuine leaders this year, we'll be in the same boat we were in when Roo retired.
To that end, Geary can't be captain this year. The club needs to elevate another player or players to the role of Captain or co-captains and let Geary be their mentor without worrying about anything else.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary should not be captain in 2020 because he is not in our best 22 (IMHFO).......

Scollop wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 1:15pm
spert wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 10:13am I reckon Lonie would be worth a look as captain, just for something a bit different- he plays with the intensity and "in your face" that I like to see from captains. I don't think captains should just be serviceable, experienced players- you need to be seen to be taking on a game as a leader.
Take a bex and go have a lie down mate :lol:
Ha ha..tell me why he wouldn't make a reasonable captain in list where I can't see any born leaders, then I'll buy some Bex.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 2:35pm
spert wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 10:13am I reckon Lonie would be worth a look as captain, just for something a bit different- he plays with the intensity and "in your face" that I like to see from captains. I don't think captains should just be serviceable, experienced players- you need to be seen to be taking on a game as a leader.
Ha ha..tell me why he wouldn't make a reasonable captain in list where I can't see any born leaders, then I'll buy some Bex.
His spot is less guaranteed than Geary...We've just recruited a former premiership player than plays in Lonie's position - and is a far more accurate kick at goal.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 12:28pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 12:19pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 16 Feb 2020 8:15pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Sat 15 Feb 2020 10:32am Just to clarify, I’m not advocating that Geary should not get a game. I am saying that he should not be captain anymore. I believe Seb Ross should be captain. If we have injuries and Geary’s form is good enough, then he plays.
Your thread title state he should not be captain because he is not in our best 22. :wink:

You are starting to revert to type, Nick. Start a look at me thread then cover your butt.
That's a bit harsh Trev but maybe you're trying to provoke Nick to revert to his previous colourful demeanour, which is really an unworthy cause as he seems to me to be posting stuff quite genuinely....my point being that this forum has improved vastly in recent months with much less niggling and fewer attacks on people's character, which I really hope is going to be maintained as the season kicks off.

We're all presumably passionate Saints supporters and this forum allows us to express our views on all matters pertaining to the club and all of the individuals that represent the club, without fear of being held up to ridicule, or being abused, by those that have a different opinion or view!
Thanks
Sanctorum
I don't need to point out your contradictions Nick. Anybody who can read your thread title could understand will understand where I'm coming from.

Saint supporter since '62
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 4:04pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 12:28pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 12:19pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 16 Feb 2020 8:15pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Sat 15 Feb 2020 10:32am Just to clarify, I’m not advocating that Geary should not get a game. I am saying that he should not be captain anymore. I believe Seb Ross should be captain. If we have injuries and Geary’s form is good enough, then he plays.
Your thread title state he should not be captain because he is not in our best 22. :wink:

You are starting to revert to type, Nick. Start a look at me thread then cover your butt.
That's a bit harsh Trev but maybe you're trying to provoke Nick to revert to his previous colourful demeanour, which is really an unworthy cause as he seems to me to be posting stuff quite genuinely....my point being that this forum has improved vastly in recent months with much less niggling and fewer attacks on people's character, which I really hope is going to be maintained as the season kicks off.

We're all presumably passionate Saints supporters and this forum allows us to express our views on all matters pertaining to the club and all of the individuals that represent the club, without fear of being held up to ridicule, or being abused, by those that have a different opinion or view!
Thanks
Sanctorum
I don't need to point out your contradictions Nick. Anybody who can read your thread title could understand will understand where I'm coming from.
I think it's a very interesting topic and am not offended by the wording at all.
It's a bit of a double ended sword. Nick has said what a lot of people are thinking.
Will we change Captains and birth a new generation of leaders, putting behind us a decade of mediocrity or will Geary be called upon and lead us up the ladder. We will know who will be Captain soon, our rise may take a little longer but timing is not on Geary's side.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 1:31pm Good grief there are some ridiculous comments on this thread.

Yes time might catch up with him and yes he may not have recovered from the injuries

But let’s be clear on his value to the team based on 2019 form

He played rounds 1 2 3 and 5 and then an underprepared half game in 11

He received coaches votes in rounds 2 and 5!!! For those saying he was already looking passed it in 2019... really?

He deserves credit for that, but suddenly according to some Ben Long after a good intra game has gone passed him. Now Ben might become a jet but let’s not let hype get in the way of reality

Right now it should be his position in defence to lose based on 2020 form and injury

And yes he should retain the captaincy

Fqf
2 eyes and no stats is all you need.

To the top
SS Life Member

I am on the record in stating that DT Points can be meaningless - and that far too much emphasis is given to them as a marketing exercise

But they are at least indicative

Having repeated that, could I direct you to the DT Points Geary accrued in Rounds 2 and 5 of 2019 - compared to some others and then query the Coaches (Input of Richardson?) votes?

70 DT Points seems to me to be very low to feature in your sides best

And, Fantasia kicks straight and Essendon beats us so just as well he didn’t have his kicking boots on

Not to unnecessarily comment on Geary who has been a loyal servant and courageous to a fault during a miserable time for St Kilda but my view is that his time has come

As it does to everyone - even the greats of the game

Generally it is only exceptional players who are still influencing the result of games with their skills when they are 32 years of age

Secret Kiel
Club Player

To the top wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 8:47pm I am on the record in stating that DT Points can be meaningless - and that far too much emphasis is given to them as a marketing exercise

Having repeated that, could I direct you to the DT Points Geary accrued in Rounds 2 and 5 of 2019 - compared to some others and then query the Coaches (Input of Richardson?) votes?

And, Fantasia kicks straight and Essendon beats us so just as well he didn’t have his kicking boots on

Not to unnecessarily comment on Geary who has been a loyal servant and courageous to a fault during a miserable time for St Kilda but my view is that his time has come

Generally it is only exceptional players who are still influencing the result of games with their skills when they are 32 years of age
I'm typing this as tears flow from from eyes with laughter...DT points are also fantastic for emphasising some of the funniest things you'll ever read on a footy forum. That is just the comedy gold.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I reckon Jack Billings will be our next Captain, so I think Geary will keep it for at least the next season.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 9:49pm
To the top wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 8:47pm I am on the record in stating that DT Points can be meaningless - and that far too much emphasis is given to them as a marketing exercise

I'm typing this as tears flow from from eyes with laughter...DT points are also fantastic for emphasising some of the funniest things you'll ever read on a footy forum. That is just the comedy gold.
Remind me again what you wrote...just recently...regarding reading and comprehending

Did you read the first sentence before your smartarse comments?
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 16 Feb 2020 3:40pm
I think the biggest issue the internet and social media has is people don't take the time to read then comprehend....

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 2:35pm
Firstly, I doubt that Lones will be playing in our best team in a couple of years. I think he's been ok, however he has limitations and I'd even go as far as saying his frame won't stand up to the rigours of a full season in the seniors

Obviously luck with injury plays a part, but I reckon others preferred for the 2 forward pocket roles

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Feb 2020 1:50am
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 17 Feb 2020 9:49pm

Remind me again what you wrote...just recently...regarding reading and comprehending

Did you read the first sentence before your smartarse comments?
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 16 Feb 2020 3:40pm
I think the biggest issue the internet and social media has is people don't take the time to read then comprehend....
That's what made it hilarious, he' not being serious. It's meant to be funny.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

It appears the players and Club do not agree with the title of this thread.

Time to put the subject to bed and get behind Jarryn.

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 19 Feb 2020 12:40pm It appears the players and Club do not agree with the title of this thread.

Time to put the subject to bed and get behind Jarryn.
And I agree with the players and the coaches.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Congratulations to gears
Okay he's not our best player but he is our best leader .
Having watched him at training many times I've come to realise that . I think because he's come after the best Captain / player the club ever had in Roo some judge him a bit too harshly

In red white and black from 73
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I guess it simply comes down to leadership and Geary having the respect of the players. Any case, fully fit he is in our best 22. He’s a great lockdown defender and tough and as courageous as they come.

Gershwin
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Wed 19 Feb 2020 3:57pm I guess it simply comes down to leadership and Geary having the respect of the players. Any case, fully fit he is in our best 22. He’s a great lockdown defender and tough and as courageous as they come.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Wed 19 Feb 2020 3:57pm I guess it simply comes down to leadership and Geary having the respect of the players. Any case, fully fit he is in our best 22. He’s a great lockdown defender and tough and as courageous as they come.
Agree.

You could be describing Danny Frawley. Didn't need to be anywhere our best player. Nobody ever knocked him as a captain.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I notice Hannebery didn't make the cut.
Who are we paying more, Hill or Hannebery - anybody know?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hannas didn't make the cut because his body has constantly let him down in the last 2 seasons. He obviously deserves to be in the leadership group on experience and on his leadership and footy knowledge...but he needs to shows some consistency and string a run of games together

I don't think you can trust that his body will hold up based on recent history and perhaps that's why the club and players have excluded him in the official group

Shaggy
Club Player

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 14 Feb 2020 11:25am
Shaggy wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 10:28pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 9:56pm
Shaggy wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 9:28pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 9:10pm I must admit, I did not see the intraclub game. I am only going by the articles on the game and the posts on here and Bigfooty. There is no way that Geary should be captain because he will not be in the starting 22. From what I can tell there is a plethora of players (small to medium defenders), that have gone past him. And now it seems that Ben Long has made the transition which puts Geary further down the pecking order. I'm not knocking Geary because he has been a warrior for us but Father Time waits for no man (or woman).
Why not respect the players who make the decision rather than pretend you know better.
Why not give a football based argument like the op has done rather than make it personal
That is not a football based argument. The players just voted.
I was pointing out the obvious that he does not know better than the players.
The players don't know better. Most of them (especially the young ones), will vote with their heart.
Life is about the heart.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bit harsh on Gears.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

Geary is very good.

Poorly coached.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 5:54pm Geary is very good.

That he is. :wink:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 9:10pm I must admit, I did not see the intraclub game. I am only going by the articles on the game and the posts on here and Bigfooty. There is no way that Geary should be captain because he will not be in the starting 22. From what I can tell there is a plethora of players (small to medium defenders), that have gone past him. And now it seems that Ben Long has made the transition which puts Geary further down the pecking order. I'm not knocking Geary because he has been a warrior for us but Father Time waits for no man (or woman).
Yeah he is. Easily our best defender on dangerous small / medium forwards.

Defenders don’t get enough respect especially if they aren’t the loose man racking up possessions type.