The Elephant In The Room

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Re: The Elephant In The Room

I think there should be a title change of this thread too.

Something more appropriate like..."s*** That People Have Discussed 9 Million Times Already That Happened 5 Years Ago That No One Really Gives a f*** About Anymore"

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 12:50pm After our first Marsh series game, a difficult question is, who makes way for Geary, Hannebery, Roberton and Jones. Our selectors will be earning their money. So where on earth would Petracca and Acres fit? At Sandringham?
I have Geary in the best 22...
Of Wantirna

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 10:53am
Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 10:22am Retrospective drafting is the easiest game in town...
It was a toss of the coin Petracca v McCartin.
We wouldn't be having these discussions if it weren't for the concussions. That's not a function of draft selection.
For the record, Petracca hasn't set the world alight. He has been praised for a big game in a meaningless game over a month away from the start of the season.

Every club will have these stories.
A better argument would have been Billings v The Bont...At least The Bont has proven himself over and over again...Unlike Petracca.
But even then it's a fool's errand. Because every club with pick 3 that year would have taken Billings...Including the Dogs.

Make no mistake regarding McCartin. If we'd have taken Petracca at 1 then Melbourne would have taken McCartin at 2 without hesitation and would have been glad to do so.

The thing with the number 1 pick is that there are around 70 picks following to show you who you should have taken instead. More chances for the hindsight drafters to get stuck in.
It was never a toss of the coin, most in the football industry had Petracca as the obvious number 1. We wanted a forward (even though it’s now a midfielders game) and took a risk, which then blew up in our face.

No hindsight required.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/how ... 1s77k.html
No...Of course it wasn't!
:roll:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 2:00pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 10:22am Retrospective drafting is the easiest game in town...
We wouldn't be having these discussions if it weren't for the concussions. That's not a function of draft selection.
For the record, Petracca hasn't set the world alight. He has been praised for a big game in a meaningless game over a month away from the start of the season.

A better argument would have been Billings v The Bont...At least The Bont has proven himself over and over again...Unlike Petracca.
But even then it's a fool's errand. Because every club with pick 3 that year would have taken Billings...Including the Dogs.

Make no mistake regarding McCartin. If we'd have taken Petracca at 1 then Melbourne would have taken McCartin at 2 without hesitation and would have been glad to do so.

The thing with the number 1 pick is that there are around 70 picks following to show you who you should have taken instead. More chances for the hindsight drafters to get stuck in.
It was never a toss of the coin, most in the football industry had Petracca as the obvious number 1. We wanted a forward (even though it’s now a midfielders game) and took a risk, which then blew up in our face.

No hindsight required.
I don’t really understand what you’re trying to say with that article?

Here’s a clearer one though...
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 9ba6f4ab06

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
damienc
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 12:55pm I think there should be a title change of this thread too.

Something more appropriate like..."s*** That People Have Discussed 9 Million Times Already That Happened 5 Years Ago That No One Really Gives a f*** About Anymore"
What you mean is you don't. And you're entitled to your opinion. So am I.

damienc
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 11:52am We would have traded Petracca by now if we took him.

He's been incredibly underwhelming - aside from a R1 praccy match against a ressies team.

Not only that, he's been underwhleming as the 4th-5th string mid and as the 4th string forward.

If he's only laboured in that team - how would he have gone in our team FFS!!!??

I also disagree with the thing about wanting the next Roo. We've seen and heard directly from the transcript when it was locked in that we were taking McCartin - and it had nothing to with wanting the next Roo. That's just not true.
I reckon you are going to eat your words. I hope they taste good.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 4:08pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 2:00pm

No hindsight required.
I don’t really understand what you’re trying to say with that article?

Here’s a clearer one though...
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 9ba6f4ab06
Sure...It talked about McCartin as a potential number 1 pick...
There was no Sam Walsh or Tom Boyd in that. It's not like Petracca wsa that far ahead of anyone else.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

damienc wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 4:14pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 11:52am We would have traded Petracca by now if we took him.

He's been incredibly underwhelming - aside from a R1 praccy match against a ressies team.

Not only that, he's been underwhleming as the 4th-5th string mid and as the 4th string forward.

If he's only laboured in that team - how would he have gone in our team FFS!!!??

I also disagree with the thing about wanting the next Roo. We've seen and heard directly from the transcript when it was locked in that we were taking McCartin - and it had nothing to with wanting the next Roo. That's just not true.
?

Eat what words?

damienc
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 4:40pm
damienc wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 4:14pm

?

Eat what words?
I think you know. But on the off chance that you don't, what you said about Petracca. He will be the opposite of underwhelming. We will see who is right.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 8:41pm Mc Cartin was the correct call

Hopefully he is on our List in 2021 and showing his undoubted abilities

The List demographics currently are that Ryder is the age he is so the future is Marshall rucking and a need for a key forward to support Membrey and King

What has concerned me more than the Melbourne player is that we have let a far better player than him slip thru our fingers and go to Fremantle

Acres is a potent footballer and exceptionally gifted
:lol: God I love your posts, almost pissed my pants laughing at this one.
Its not just the content its the conviction in which you write your opinion and then validate with comments such as "I repeat" or "re-read my post". Hilarious.

My favs in no particular order...
- Jack Steven worth two first round picks from Geelong
- Acres is a match winner
- Geary not in best 22
- Paddy MCCartin was the correct call

Many of us on this site, me included screamed fro Petracca over McCartin.
Mc Cartin the slow, unfit, undersized KPP lacking mobility with the added challenge of type 1 diabetes.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

damienc wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 5:33pm
I think you know. But on the off chance that you don't, what you said about Petracca. He will be the opposite of underwhelming. We will see who is right.
Why would I eat my words?

"He's been incredibly underwhelming - aside from a R1 praccy match against a ressies team."

Nothing he does or doesn't do from now on will change the above.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Current coach had a year with Acres.

Still chose to let him go.

I reckon that speaks quite a bit.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 5:45pm

The List demographics currently are that Ryder is the age he is so the future is Marshall rucking and a need for a key forward to support Membrey and King

What has concerned me more than the Melbourne player is that we have let a far better player than him slip thru our fingers and go to Fremantle

:lol: God I love your posts, almost pissed my pants laughing at this one.
Its not just the content its the conviction in which you write your opinion and then validate with comments such as "I repeat" or "re-read my post". Hilarious.

My favs in no particular order...
- Jack Steven worth two first round picks from Geelong
- Acres is a match winner
- Geary not in best 22
- Paddy MCCartin was the correct call

Many of us on this site, me included screamed fro Petracca over McCartin.
Mc Cartin the slow, unfit, undersized KPP lacking mobility with the added challenge of type 1 diabetes.
At least he has a try and I reckon he’s not too far off the mark

It’s really easy for people to just regurgitate some of the mainstream media opinions

We all know that Jack Steven at his best is A grade. We all saw the impact of Blakenator in 2017 when Cho used him in the middle ( Freo are laughing their arses off). Cho also wasted what we saw from Paddy in 2016 and didn’t pay enough attention to getting him fit.

If Richo was a tougher coach and demanded more of McCartin and focussed on a different strategy with his development he could have had a different career path and been an important player for us. The club should have had a full time personal fitness coach ( plus someone spying on what he ate and everything he did outside the club). After we resigned him the first timewe had every right to protect our investment. Cho let the young fellow cruise through his time off and he came back every preseason no where near the required level. I think his 2018/2019 preseason was the only one where he was finally AFL standard.

Very easy to be a bully too and poke fun at someone because they don’t go with the majority thinking

asiu
Saintsational Legend

also disappointed that we let Acres go

the below does say a bit though
... did he want to stay ?
Current coach had a year with Acres.

Still chose to let him go.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 7:26am
Spinner wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 12:41am

I think it’s pretty clear is wasn’t the right call.

Don’t hold your breath.
Correct.

When I agree with Spinner and citywest then something is going on.....

That something going on is the feeling of being right.

Not used to it.

To the top
SS Life Member

“I repeat”

“Re-read my posts”

Mate, you have forgotten to change hands at 99

BarryGrogan
Club Player

This thread makes no sense.

We had pick 1.

We could have had DeGoey. Steele. Brayshaw. Maynard. Or Petracca.

But we chose a key forward, because our head recruiter believed he was the best player, and also that key forwards are harder to come by and have greater currency.

FWIW, I can't argue with that. At least the second bit.

But even if he was wrong - why are we wringing our hands that we didn't choose Petracca? The premise of the OP is that we needed a midfielder - he's barely played midfield!

I thought we should have picked Petracca.

But I've got to say, right at this point in time - I would have been very, very disappointed if we had have.
At no point sinve 2014 have I looked at him amd thought 'Oh man, imagine if we had have picked him!'.

He's just been really average.

Obviously now that McCartin is gone - we can relfect on that draft and look at who we should have taken instead.

But still, when I look at it - Petracca is not the one I think 'What if?' about.

DeGoey and possibly Maynard aside, Steele is probably the best player from that draft.

What would have Petracca, based on his output so far, have actually changed for us?

Or are we seriously moaning that we didn't have the foresight to pick a guy at no. 1 that would actually become decent in 6 years time??!!

happy feet
Club Player

Recruiting McCartin was an enormous risk due to him being a diabetic. Not worth the risk for a number 1 draft pick. The concussions are just absolutely tragic, he will not play again, I hope his life and health works out ok.

The other player I worry about is Kosi.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 7:13pm
At least he has a try and I reckon he’s not too far off the mark

It’s really easy for people to just regurgitate some of the mainstream media opinions

We all know that Jack Steven at his best is A grade.
Steven was an A grade player at his best.
He is now 29, played what 5-7 games last year due to mental illness.
Was overweight and ordinary.
No inside information here but much speculation he would not have played in 2020 if forced to play at saints.

If you agree with Over The Top that he is worth 2 X first rounders, enjoy your opinion.

I personally don't think there is a 29 YO in the AFL that is currently worth 2 first rounders let alone Jack Steven. But that's the opinion you support so good on you!

We all saw the impact of Blakenator in 2017 when Cho used him in the middle ( Freo are laughing their arses off).
The Blakenator :lol: is a butt average AFL player.
I liked him but the hype on here is ridiculous.
Ratten saw him at close quarters for a year and decided to dish him off for half a jam sandwich and a can of coke. Average AFL player at very best.
If Richo was a tougher coach and demanded more of McCartin and focussed on a different strategy with his development he could have had a different career path and been an important player for us. The club should have had a full time personal fitness coach ( plus someone spying on what he ate and everything he did outside the club). After we resigned him the first timewe had every right to protect our investment. Cho let the young fellow cruise through his time off and he came back every preseason no where near the required level. I think his 2018/2019 preseason was the only one where he was finally AFL standard.
Now this is just made up BS.
So you know how Richo treated McCartin and what the fitness program and dietary requirement was for that player.

Purely speculative made up crap by you scollop, I thought you were better than writing crap like that.
Very easy to be a bully too and poke fun at someone because they don’t go with the majority thinking
Not the case at all, poking fun at stupidity has nothing to do with majority thinking.
If I find a post ridiculous I'll comment, just as others have the right to do to my posts if they find them outlandish.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

paddys not gone yet ... as i understand it

taking the year off
with the intent
(from both camps)
that he rejoins the list in ‘21

is not that how it is ?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

‘n if it is correct

the paddy story has a bit to run yet

To the top
SS Life Member

I note that I am not the only one contributing on here that has Boffa Jurms forgetting to change hands at 99

Steven is a 4 times B&F winner at St Kilda and accordingly had currency. He was by reputation the premier player on our List

Geary, if a fixture in our defence playing the position he plays means that the likes of Clark Long and Coffield have stagnated and Roberton has stalled in his recovery Such an outcome will be detrimental to St KIlda and the Club’s prospects not only in 2020 but into the foreseeable future

Acres is a class footballer Practice match I know so reservations but, in the absence of Fyfe and playing where he should be played in my opinion, from reports he dominated yesterday for Fremantle

Diapers are in the “Baby Products” aisle at the Supermarket

Harves Man
Club Player

damienc wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 4:13pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 12:55pm I think there should be a title change of this thread too.

What you mean is you don't. And you're entitled to your opinion. So am I.
He claims that this is the subject "That No One Really Gives a f*** About Anymore", but he has already posted 5 times on this thread! There's nowt as queer as folk. :D

damienc
Club Player

asiu wrote: Sun 01 Mar 2020 10:34pm paddys not gone yet ... as i understand it

taking the year off
with the intent
(from both camps)
that he rejoins the list in ‘21

is not that how it is ?
You can’t be serious. For the sake of his health, Paddy will never play footy again. Even if you are right and he plays, what happens when he gets concussed again? The risk increases exponentially with his past history. You’re dreaming