Is Jonno Marsh the new Jake Stringer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

Is Jonno Marsh the new Jake Stringer?

Yes, I realise it is a stretch, but the Marsh is looking like a beast and very Jake Stringer like in his speed and power.
That play on Thursday when he kicked to Marshall had Stringer (at his best) written all over it.

I remember 3-4 years ago there was some fun banter on here about Tim Membrey being the new Jake Stringer... but no-one took it too seriously... yet here we are with Membrey every bit as good as Stringer, maybe better:
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S

They are the same age, but Membrey shaded Stringer last year overall on those stats. I wouldnt trade Membrey for Stringer in a straight swap... am I just being biased? Maybe, but not according to those numbers .. and I recon Membrey works harder up and down the ground

Does anyone think Marsh make some sort of impact up front playing a Stringer type power game?

carn_sainter
Club Player

Re: Is Jonno Marsh the new Jake Stringer?

I see Jono Marsh as being more like Jason Blake / Sam Gilbert. I like the idea of a big, fast and hard running, good at ground level and overhead link player

For 2020, I think Battle is ideal in that role and Marsh behind him. The little I've seen of Marsh, he doesn't belong as a KPP, but has potential to be a running/link player playing off a flank

Stringer was a flash in the pan as far as being the next big thing. He's a good player, but overrated in general based on a good half season a couple seasons ago, in my estimation

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I stated somewhere back in January in the breakout thread that Members was one of my picks for a breakout year. He's in his prime and has been having a really good pre season and for the first time ever our mechanism into the forward line could be high quality. That pass from Hill into his bread basket would have given him a swelling in the groin region.

Jono unfortunately will struggle to get a game on a flank, especially in the backline and there is just as much competition in the forward line, with Sincs and Buttler being the most likely to lock those down.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Membrey over Stringer for consistency and all round forward, Stringer over Membrey as an impact player able to do the freakish and run through the middle in my opinion. Wouldn’t trade a leader like Membrey for a d**khead like Stringer.

Marsh has got some speed and power, no doubt.

If he could win his share if the footy would be awesome on a wing or half forward line. A couple of highlights don’t make a player but gee they were impressive cameos.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Was always going to be better with a pre-season under his belt.

He has a fantastic work ethic but I'm not sure if he has the skills.

Can we fit Battle and him in the same team?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 23 Feb 2020 10:42am Was always going to be better with a pre-season under his belt.

He has a fantastic work ethic but I'm not sure if he has the skills.

Can we fit Battle and him in the same team?
I suppose the answer is ...occasionally :D .

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Does Marsh go through the midfield?

Or at least 4 quarters of a pre season game to be honest...

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Is a Jake Stringer a thing?

supersaints2
Club Player

I hate to say I told you so but back in 2016 I was laughed off the forum by most when I suggested that Membery could be the new Jake Stringer and that he would end up as our third tall
My superb judgement was proved correct after observing just what he did in his first game against Melbourne in 2016!!!!
So it's time I took my hat off to myself and said well done Supersaints
And for all those who called me crazy,stupid and whatever... Up yours
Here is a copy of the post
Members... The new Jake Stringer?
Report Quote Thanks
Post Sat 30 Apr 2016 7:01pm

First game this year (I think?) .. Every bit as good as Stringer has been this season. more than impressed by his work ... I think he will become our third forward going onwards. Seems hard to match up on. So much to like ..

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

supersaints2 wrote: Tue 25 Feb 2020 8:17am I hate to say I told you so but back in 2016 I was laughed off the forum by most when I suggested that Membery could be the new Jake Stringer and that he would end up as our third tall
My superb judgement was proved correct after observing just what he did in his first game against Melbourne in 2016!!!!
Report Quote Thanks

First game this year (I think?) .. Every bit as good as Stringer has been this season. more than impressed by his work ... I think he will become our third forward going onwards. Seems hard to match up on. So much to like ..
Great call. Well done though no need to gloat and spray the entire forum. Tim is still a very different player to Stringer.

Any other predictions?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 25 Feb 2020 9:05am
supersaints2 wrote: Tue 25 Feb 2020 8:17am I hate to say I told you so but back in 2016 I was laughed off the forum by most when I suggested that Membery could be the new Jake Stringer and that he would end up as our third tall
Report Quote Thanks

Great call. Well done though no need to gloat and spray the entire forum. Tim is still a very different player to Stringer.

Any other predictions?
I hope Tim stays at the top of his game a bit longer than Stringer.
Tim doesn't have quite the same weapons as Jake but a much more consistent contributor, a harder worker across 4 qtrs and an inspiring leader on the field.
There is a sense of confidence when he is making position to receive the ball and when he has it in his hands.
He may be the next captain.