Ultimate Swingman

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shmic_s
Club Player

Ultimate Swingman

https://www.afl.com.au/news/366135/sain ... le-in-2020

Saints' 'ultimate swingman' could be set for new role in 2020

Good read about our "swingman" Josh Battle

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Re: Ultimate Swingman

Everything seems to be running to plan. Very good vibes, as is normal with all pre-seasons. This one just seems to be a lot better this year.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote: Thu 16 Jan 2020 1:20pm Everything seems to be running to plan. Very good vibes, as is normal with all pre-seasons. This one just seems to be a lot better this year.
I think Battle will have to play FF. Direct replacement for Bruce. We have plenty of key defenders.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 16 Jan 2020 2:22pm
Junction Oval wrote: Thu 16 Jan 2020 1:20pm Everything seems to be running to plan. Very good vibes, as is normal with all pre-seasons. This one just seems to be a lot better this year.
I think Battle will have to play FF. Direct replacement for Bruce. We have plenty of key defenders.
Am inclined to agree... I mean who else could even do it and be remotely as effective

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 16 Jan 2020 2:22pm
Though Bruce mainly did not play FF and mainly played as a roaming KF due to his enormous tank.

Battle also has an enormous tank.

Ratten will no doubt want to keep King away from bash and crashwork in his first year or two.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 16 Jan 2020 5:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote: Thu 16 Jan 2020 12:49pm

Good read about our "swingman" Josh Battle
Yes I have thought for a while that he can play wing as well as forward and back.
ie last July
saintsRrising wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 11:07pm Personally for the year I would keep Brown at FB , Carlisle at CHB (where now he is match fit he is starting to flourish again).

Battle can play as our third tall back and or/ be the tall hit up player on the wing. If the second he can also push forward. Battle sets up the play well and so should be able to play both roles well.

However as wing it would be more the hit-up wingman role than the modern wing role that Hill has been brought in to play.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Who are the other swingmen in the AFL??

Bloke from West Coast?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

The thing with swingmen and the few times when Battle did it last year is they have the position they mainly play, in his case defence and they move forward only when desperate and losing. That makes it hard to show anything.

To the top
SS Life Member

When a side is struggling the response can be throwing the side around including a key defender being thrown forward

Then there is the case of say a Maguire who, whilst still at CHB, pushes forward including kicking goals - and usually in winning sides

I think Battle has the Maguire ability

And hopefully he is not thrown forward because we are struggling and need a change up from somewhere

We also had Gram who used to launch on goal from a half back flank - and just maybe Clark will repeat what Gram offered

So what and why is “Swingman”?

carn_sainter
Club Player

I like Battle as a high high forward. Hit up player who mainly plays between the arcs. Can reinforce behind the ball or exploit in front of the ball depending on the state of the game.

I think you can start King deep so he presents at the ball or is an option for a long, deep entry. He'll probably draw free kicks with his length and gives a focal point for Gresham or Lonie.

I think you start Membrey higher and he can provide the option running towards goal and just use his elite nous and timing to beat defenders.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

To the top wrote: Thu 16 Jan 2020 9:49pm When a side is struggling the response can be throwing the side around including a key defender being thrown forward

Then there is the case of say a Maguire who, whilst still at CHB, pushes forward including kicking goals - and usually in winning sides

I think Battle has the Maguire ability

And hopefully he is not thrown forward because we are struggling and need a change up from somewhere

We also had Gram who used to launch on goal from a half back flank - and just maybe Clark will repeat what Gram offered

So what and why is “Swingman”?
Well, it's not necessarily a sign of desperation. Not a bad thing to have an option if you realise a match-up isn't working.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I reckon that Brett Ratten considers Josh Battle capable of playing a similar role to the other elite "swingmen" in the competition, namely Nat Fyfe and Marcus Bontempelli. And why wouldn't he??

Josh Battle has the same physical attributes as the Bont, and at 193 cm is actually 3 cm taller than Fyfe. He obviously has developed a big tank, given his times in the 3 km runs recently, is a strong mark, great kick and has shown good decision making in his disposals.

Playing Battle through the midfield and around the ground as an old fashioned ruck-rover is the ideal role for him and how exciting would that be if he does develop into that role.

Can't help feeling that Battle should have been identified for this role much earlier in his career, and sure, the team was in need of another key defender. Anyway, there are indications that Dougal Howard will play full back, so that with a fit Jake Carlisle and the strong marking Callum Wilkie the team is well set to release Battle for the "swingman" role that could add so much bite to the Saints attack in 2020.

Bloody hell, so much to look forward to this year!!!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist