Battle - Carlisle conundrum?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Battle - Carlisle conundrum?

There are two types of Key defenders

Last line defenders, who defend first, and play man on man... like D.Talia

2nd tall defenders who don’t play as deep. Zone off and intercept, use the ball well... Like J.McGovern

We have 3 tall defenders

Two are better offensive players, better suited to CHB, one is better defensively and better suited to FB

But

We clearly would have both Battle and Carlisle in the side if both available. Which leaves Brown in the VFL and Carlisle in a position he’s not that comfortable... playing last line and defending first. Battle has been developing too well to take him from CHB
Brown is easily the best shut down tall and has experience

shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: Battle - Carlisle conundrum?

We could always put Battle back in the forward line where he was drafted?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Let's take a look at Battle at Full Back. Very good 1 on 1.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The conundrum is that Brown is still playing very good football. Excellent yesterday.

And obviously you wouldn’t drop Carlisle - or Battle (when fit) for that matter either.

Various possibilities.

You could move Carlisle or Battle forward. Either could hold down second ruck and give Marshall a chop out.

The complication is that eventually we’re probably going to have to find a spot for Max King. Cross that bridge when we come to it, I say.

Anyway, team balance is important, but imo should never stand in the way of getting your best footballers on the park.

Good players, you need to find ways of getting them in.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Battle Forward is an option, but I think he has been much better at CHB than he would be as a forward. He might be an ok Forward, he has a big tank, can take a grab, good kick and is aggressive. I also think he will ultimately end up a forward.

But at the moment, he is performing well at CHB (an easier position) and moving him is not ideal.

Carlisle doesn’t like playing Forward or ruck.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 10:20pm Battle Forward is an option, but I think he has been much better at CHB than he would be as a forward. He might be an ok Forward, he has a big tank, can take a grab, good kick and is aggressive. I also think he will ultimately end up a forward.

But at the moment, he is performing well at CHB (an easier position) and moving him is not ideal.

Jake was great yesterday, but, really, all players should work as directed by their employer. Standard business practice.

Anyway, the only other option is to drop Brown, who, as I said, is playing good footy.

I’d find a way to get all three in, but - since Battle is out for the season - we don’t have to worry about it until next year

BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 10:20pm Battle Forward is an option, but I think he has been much better at CHB than he would be as a forward. He might be an ok Forward, he has a big tank, can take a grab, good kick and is aggressive. I also think he will ultimately end up a forward.

I've always felt Battle is the 3rd tall. He only CHB cause Carlisle was out.

I reckon Battle will be a legitimate star as a HBF who can play tall and intercept. Having Carlisle back in the team was the piece of the puzzle that he needed. IMO.

Remember, Dixon kicked 4 and Dale kicked 5. Paton had his arse handed to him on a plate. He's not ready yet, and I'm not sold he ever will be. Battle would have been an ideal matchup for Dale.

longtimesaint
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 10:28pm

Jake was great yesterday, but, really, all players should work as directed by their employer. Standard business practice.

Anyway, the only other option is to drop Brown, who, as I said, is playing good footy.

I’d find a way to get all three in, but - since Battle is out for the season - we don’t have to worry about it until next year
What makes you think Battle is out for the season?
Ratten said he would be close to play this week, and Webster also close but after a long break possibly start in the VFL.

One year will be our year
chook23
Saintsational Legend

He maybe in the mix for selection as soon as this week.......if not the following week

saint4life
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 10:43pm

What makes you think Battle is out for the season?
Ratten said he would be close to play this week, and Webster also close but after a long break possibly start in the VFL.

Ah, okay. That’s a pleasant surprise. I thought he was long term. Play him half back flank if necessary or move him or Jake forward. I wouldn’t drop either Brown or Carlisle to get him in.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Personally for the year I would keep Brown at FB , Carlisle at CHB (where now he is match fit he is starting to flourish again).

Battle can play as our third tall back and or/ be the tall hit up player on the wing. If the second he can also push forward. Battle sets up the play well and so should be able to play both roles well.

Most likely first game back will be the Crows with Josh Jenkins at FF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Keep Brown in. Massive, fit and intelligent. The boys love having him there.

Our backline is not our problem.

Nee!
supersaints2
Club Player

Isn't it nice to have such a problem?
That's a problem that good sides have every week......!
Play Battle forward against sides that struggle with height defensively, play him back against sides that have a lot of forward height

He can be our mr fixit man ... wouldn't hurt his development at all, I think it will quicken it. He's grown in confidence this season

Battle may already have improved enough to try him forward for the remaining games

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

supersaints2 wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 8:42am Isn't it nice to have such a problem?
Play Battle forward against sides that struggle with height defensively, play him back against sides that have a lot of forward height

He can be our mr fixit man ... wouldn't hurt his development at all, I think it will quicken it. He's grown in confidence this season

Battle may already have improved enough to try him forward for the remaining games

Yes good teams often will have a player that can be used forward or back in games and from week to week.

The marking link man role is also an important role is also a handy asset to have. In recent times this has caused Bruce to run far and wide. And of course "Mr Aerobic" Roo used to do it as part of playing at CHF and then alter as the roving tall wingman that roamed far and wide.

The club is said to be chasing the FA Tomlinson who is of a similar height. Well Battle can IMO play a similar role that Tomlinson can and indeed will probably be better at it.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 31 Jul 2019 11:30am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

My preferred team for the rest of the season (assuming Steven is available but Webster and Hannebery continue their A. Hamill - 2 weeks trend)

B: Wilkie, Brown, Coffield
HB: Clark, Carlisle, Savage
C: Billings, Steele, Acres
HF: Parker, Bruce, Steven
F: Lonie, Battle, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Gresham, Dunstan
Int: Hind, Langlands, Paton, White

Right now Wilkie, Brown and Carlisle are doing a brilliant job in defence. Battle was great as well, but he is the one whose skills in defence can be covered, yet we don't have anyone who can offer what he does in the forward line. I'd love to see us go in with three tall forwards which will also mean our structure doesn't fall to pieces when Bruce has to go into the ruck.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 1:32pm My preferred team for the rest of the season (assuming Steven is available but Webster and Hannebery continue their A. Hamill - 2 weeks trend)

Right now Wilkie, Brown and Carlisle are doing a brilliant job in defence. Battle was great as well, but he is the one whose skills in defence can be covered, yet we don't have anyone who can offer what he does in the forward line. I'd love to see us go in with three tall forwards which will also mean our structure doesn't fall to pieces when Bruce has to go into the ruck.
No Ross? You must be f****** kidding.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 1:32pm My preferred team for the rest of the season (assuming Steven is available but Webster and Hannebery continue their A. Hamill - 2 weeks trend)

What has Battle done as a forward though?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 3:42pm

I think he looked very promising early days as a forward.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BarryGrogan
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 3:55pm
Personally, I thought he looked promising as a footballer, but not as a forward.

Not big enough to be a tall, and quick enough to be a small.

His output as a forward was very underwhelming. Granted he was only a 19yo with a couple of games under his belt.

I really think that the 3rd tall defender role is absolutely made for him.

I don't think he would have made it as a forward.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Don’t think Battle has the agility or ground level skills to play as a medium sized defender, he would get burned by faster, more agile opponents. He is not overly big, but only moves Ike a KPP. Whilst he has a big motor, he is pretty slow.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

And Wilkie is our medium sized defender.

We like Savage across HB, Clarke is playing across HB, Wilkie is back, Coffield is back and then there’s Brown.

McKenzie seems to have lost his spot

Paton is playing as the seventh

spert
Saintsational Legend

I've seen Battle as a potential FF- strong mark, uses his body well, and has good goal sense.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Battle is also a potential Forward, but atm he’s performing very well at CHB.

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 3:55pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 3:42pm

Much easier to find a key defender than a key forward. I think Battle should play forward as soon as possible. Fit others around him. The guy is a gun in the making.

stkfc1
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 1:19pm
supersaints2 wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 8:42am Isn't it nice to have such a problem?

Yes good teams often will have player that can be used forward or back in games and from week to week.

The marking link man role is also an important role is also a handy asset to have. In recent times this has caused Bruce to run far and wide. And of course "Mr Aerobic" Roo used to do it as part of playing at CHF and then alter as the roving tall wingman that roamed far and wide.

The club is said to be chasing the FA Tomlinson who is of a similar height. Well Battle can IMO play a similar role that Tomlinson can and indeed will probably be better at it.
Like this.

Battle could end up being a nightmare for opposition coaches as a link man and then used at both ends, as required. His flexibility could be easily used to disrupt opp game plans and you need to be able to mix things up if things arent working (Plan A) and Battle could be used as a point of difference for either end (Plan B)
By having him play like this would also mean we keep our structure more. Bruce would be able to stay home a bit more, therefore more effective. . There's a reason he takes speckys at the start of the match and not at the end so much. The poor guy is currently running himslf into the ground.

Funny thing is no one was expecting Brown to be having such a great year and Wilkie has been a gift from the heavens. (Seriously how f#$ing good is this guy!?) Fitting someone like Battle in shouldn't be a problem, but now is! This is what depth looks like folks!