Paddy to be delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Paddy to be delisted

Peter Motley, recruited to Carlton from Sturt was hit by a car and never played again

Neil Sasche, recruited to Footscray from North Adelaide, broke his neck in an on field collision and never played again

Sometimes s*** happens

And then you read some of the “opinions” on here

If I recall correctly McCartin has Type 1 diabetes

Have any of the Warriors on here been tested for Type 2 diabetes, given they obviously have a very sedentary life style?

The Barometer
Club Player

ace wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 4:27pm Paddy will be remembered as the worst outcome for a No 1 pick this century.
Not his fault.
St Kilda's recruitment department mostly to blame.
Yeah we could have recruited Petracca, a guy who when he did his knee thought that the "silver lining" was that he could play playstation and wouldn't have to go to training. As opposed to Paddy who is desperate to play.
Paddy medically unlucky.
Petracca clearly a knob.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The Barometer wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 8:21pm
ace wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 4:27pm Paddy will be remembered as the worst outcome for a No 1 pick this century.
Not his fault.
St Kilda's recruitment department mostly to blame.
Yeah we could have recruited Petracca, a guy who when he did his knee thought that the "silver lining" was that he could play playstation and wouldn't have to go to training. As opposed to Paddy who is desperate to play.
Paddy medically unlucky.
Petracca clearly a knob.
You forget the third option.
Trade pick No1 for multiple picks a little down the order.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Who said his concussions were predictable?

It was his poor fitness levels, inconsistent skills (from very good, to poor) and his one dimensional style that was predictable.

Look, I think he could really play though, and if he got fit he would have been alright. But was not elite talent.

The fact is, he wasn’t the best performed u18 and he had limitations athletically. Why didn’t we take the most talented player?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 6:30pm
B.M wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 4:42pm We can actually admit the mistake now... he’s off the list.

It’s done, history!

Will we learn from it?
Of course we will.

Because “we” are a different “we” now from then.

Removing McCartin (Paddy now refers to Ryder), Newnes & Acres in one hit is like having your first crap in three days (something no man should ever have to endure!) - massive load off your shoulders!
that's an image I'm going to have to think about!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

And I wonder if anyone really saw elite talent in Paddy as a player in his precious few games? I know it doesn't matter now, and respect, respect and respect etc., Not his fault to have the No. 1 tag hung around his neck. I didn't see any of his games in the flesh, not once, on video I saw home getting into good hulking positions in oacks, like Kosi used to. That was all I saw.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think if fully fit and healthy, Paddy would have had a Jay Schulz type career. Generally average 35-40 goals a year throughout his mid-late 20s and maybe have a couple of seasons with 50+ in his peak. He was never going to be the prototype modern athlete and he's not big enough to be a big dominant key forward ala Hawkins. But he did get in good positions, had good forward craft and could take a grab so I think he would have been serviceable if not a star.

damienc
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 4:33pm
damienc wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 8:04am
Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 30 Oct 2019 12:19pm
damienc wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 10:49pm I, for one, am of the view that Paddy and our footy club made the right call to delist him.

Sadly, it is almost certainly the end of his footy career. With the number of concussions he's suffered and the symptoms he's experiencing, Paddy must now find a life outside football.

There is no way back from this. Even if he recovers, and everybody hopes that he will be able to live a normal life, he's now forever vulnerable to concussion happening again and it will take very, very little for it to happen again.

Of course, if you set aside the emotion and look at all of this objectively, and I recognise everything is in hindsight, the harsh reality is we wasted a number one draft pick.

Our eagerness to recruit a replacement for Roo clouded the club's judgement. Alarm bells should have rung about Paddy, and the medical issues surrounding him, even if the club couldn't have known of his vulnerability to concussion.

As someone else pointed out, the club didn't do enough homework or simply ignored what was in front of them and considered whatever risk associated with Paddy was a risk worth taking.

The people responsible for Paddy's selection are no longer at the footy club. And that is a very good thing.

I don't think the current crop of coaches and administrators would make the same mistake.

I'm just disappointed it ended the way it has. I'm sure Paddy is as well.

I wish him well for the future.
Paddy has been delisted due to concussion problems, not the first and will certainly not be the last. I'm assuming you are alluding to diabetes when you refer to "medical issues". Is it scientifically proven diabetes makes you vulnerable to concussion? I'll ask it another way, has it been proven Paddy's diabetes caused him to get concussion on a footy field? I'm really interested to know what you know about diabetes and concussion.

You are the one linking diabetes with concussion. Not me.

so when you say:
the clubs judgement was clouded,
alarm bells should have rung about "medical issues",
the club didn't do enough homework or simply ignored what was in front of them,
and considered he was a risk worth taking,
and that it's a good thing the people responsible for Paddy's selection are no longer at the club,
is damaged goods,

so when you say all these things you're not linking diabetes with concussion even though the reason Paddy has been delisted is concussion but all of your comments seem to suggest that the club should have somehow known he was going to be a bust...Confusing, btw I think it's not nice to call someone damaged goods in Paddy's situation.
Please point out where in my post I used the words 'damaged goods' to describe Paddy?

They are your words not mine.

You are again guilty of having an argument with yourself.

Not sure why you keep doing this. I guess the attraction would have to be it's an argument you are always going to win.

takeaway
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 11:24pm And I wonder if anyone really saw elite talent in Paddy as a player in his precious few games? I know it doesn't matter now, and respect, respect and respect etc., Not his fault to have the No. 1 tag hung around his neck. I didn't see any of his games in the flesh, not once, on video I saw home getting into good hulking positions in oacks, like Kosi used to. That was all I saw.
I think the word "elite talent" is used a bit loosely. Not that many with true elite talent running around at the moment. A lot of very good footballers though. I wouldn't even think Tom Lynch is elite - very good forward, good mark, kick and knows how/when to lead, and has the height. Maybe I have a different definition of elite than some.

I think with a reasonable run Paddy would have been a very good footballer and a lock for a forward position for the Saints. Not athletic, not fast, but knew how find space to lead, good mark and kick, especially field kick. Shame I think he was the perfect fit for a forward line with no Bruce, King coming in and Membrey. King the tall target and Paddy and Membrey roaming the forward line/wing.

Some matches where he showed his abilities --- I remember vs Bombers 2016, 10 marks, 2 goals, was all over the forward line/wing, field kicking excellent.
2017, vs Bulldogs 9 marks, 15 disposals, Crows 15 disposals, had opponent taken off him.

But I guess the match that says it all for Paddy was vs Richmond at the end of 2016, first 15 mins, 2 goals, couple of assists, leading Rance a merry dance .... broke his collarbone.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

damienc wrote: Sat 02 Nov 2019 7:00am
damienc wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 10:49pm I, for one, am of the view that Paddy and our footy club made the right call to delist him.

Sadly, it is almost certainly the end of his footy career. With the number of concussions he's suffered and the symptoms he's experiencing, Paddy must now find a life outside football.

There is no way back from this. Even if he recovers, and everybody hopes that he will be able to live a normal life, he's now forever vulnerable to concussion happening again and it will take very, very little for it to happen again.

Of course, if you set aside the emotion and look at all of this objectively, and I recognise everything is in hindsight, the harsh reality is we wasted a number one draft pick.

Our eagerness to recruit a replacement for Roo clouded the club's judgement. Alarm bells should have rung about Paddy, and the medical issues surrounding him, even if the club couldn't have known of his vulnerability to concussion.

As someone else pointed out, the club didn't do enough homework or simply ignored what was in front of them and considered whatever risk associated with Paddy was a risk worth taking.

The people responsible for Paddy's selection are no longer at the footy club. And that is a very good thing.

I don't think the current crop of coaches and administrators would make the same mistake.

Paddy has been delisted due to concussion problems, not the first and will certainly not be the last. I'm assuming you are alluding to diabetes when you refer to "medical issues". Is it scientifically proven diabetes makes you vulnerable to concussion? I'll ask it another way, has it been proven Paddy's diabetes caused him to get concussion on a footy field? I'm really interested to know what you know about diabetes and concussion.

so when you say:
and that it's a good thing the people responsible for Paddy's selection are no longer at the club,
is damaged goods,

so when you say all these things you're not linking diabetes with concussion even though the reason Paddy has been delisted is concussion but all of your comments seem to suggest that the club should have somehow known he was going to be a bust...Confusing, btw I think it's not nice to call someone damaged goods in Paddy's situation.
Please point out where in my post I used the words 'damaged goods' to describe Paddy?

Not sure why you keep doing this. I guess the attraction would have to be it's an argument you are always going to win.

On page 5 of this thread you said the following:

No pride in having a number one draft pick, but an absolute travesty to waste it.

No poster here, that I can see, has been disrespectful of Paddy.

On the contrary.

Nor have they based any opinion on an individual effort in any particular game.

Only you.

Not sure where that one came from in your production line of logic.

Everybody is pretty much supportive of Paddy and his current health struggles.

But in my opinion he was damaged goods quite apart from his concussion issues.

I think his number one selection was based on wishful thinking rather than objectivity.

As I said previously, the people responsible for selecting Paddy are no longer at St Kilda. A very good thing.

I agree I am having an argument with myself if you can't remember what you post.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Sat 02 Nov 2019 7:59am
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 11:24pm And I wonder if anyone really saw elite talent in Paddy as a player in his precious few games? I know it doesn't matter now, and respect, respect and respect etc., Not his fault to have the No. 1 tag hung around his neck. I didn't see any of his games in the flesh, not once, on video I saw home getting into good hulking positions in oacks, like Kosi used to. That was all I saw.
I think the word "elite talent" is used a bit loosely. Not that many with true elite talent running around at the moment. A lot of very good footballers though. I wouldn't even think Tom Lynch is elite - very good forward, good mark, kick and knows how/when to lead, and has the height. Maybe I have a different definition of elite than some.

I think with a reasonable run Paddy would have been a very good footballer and a lock for a forward position for the Saints. Not athletic, not fast, but knew how find space to lead, good mark and kick, especially field kick. Shame I think he was the perfect fit for a forward line with no Bruce, King coming in and Membrey. King the tall target and Paddy and Membrey roaming the forward line/wing.

Some matches where he showed his abilities --- I remember vs Bombers 2016, 10 marks, 2 goals, was all over the forward line/wing, field kicking excellent.
2017, vs Bulldogs 9 marks, 15 disposals, Crows 15 disposals, had opponent taken off him.

But I guess the match that says it all for Paddy was vs Richmond at the end of 2016, first 15 mins, 2 goals, couple of assists, leading Rance a merry dance .... broke his collarbone.
When I think of elite I think of Dusty and Dangerfield, all or most of the stats collected for the position played fall in the elite category over a sustained period. Probably only 5 or so elite players running around at any one time out of the 756 AFL registered players. I agree the argument about Paddy being a bust because he wasn't elite in the small number of games he played is misguided. It's also misguided to argue he was unfit and that is why he didn't reach elite status.

oldie60
Club Player

Paddy was dominant at TAC playing as a stay at home forward where the tac rules did not allow for extra numbers in defence. His size at that level helped him dictate terms but has not been able to adapt to the bigger bodies he is up against now. Good skills but at senior level you can see he goes to the wrong spots and also our general poor disposal has not really helped. Six on six may have given us a better indicator had he been able to string games together.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I would guess tptb saw leadership potential in him too at the start - but once the concussions started that all just evaporated.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Paddy wasn't kicking many goals as a stay-at-home FF, even at Sandy - and (I reckon) played his best football in stints away from the goals, as the big, roaming utility/linking forward - like a Tom Lynch of Adelaide type role or ironically, the role that Petracca plays.
He would have needed to dramatically improve his fitness, though.

I think this alternate and largely unexplored role - that he seemed to be suited to (for mine) - may have been his real go ...
Would he have suffered less concussions this way, too - who knows?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch (adel) ran a 15 beep test and a 10 min 3k

Unfortunately Billy Longer was the only bloke Paddy was able to beat in a 3k time trial.

takeaway
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 02 Nov 2019 2:50pm Tom Lynch (adel) ran a 15 beep test and a 10 min 3k

Unfortunately Billy Longer was the only bloke Paddy was able to beat in a 3k time trial.
What's Tom Lynch (Adelaide) got to do with it?

damienc
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 02 Nov 2019 11:03am

so when you say:
is damaged goods,

No pride in having a number one draft pick, but an absolute travesty to waste it.

On the contrary.

Only you.

I think his number one selection was based on wishful thinking rather than objectivity.

As I said previously, the people responsible for selecting Paddy are no longer at St Kilda. A very good thing.

I agree I am having an argument with myself if you can't remember what you post.
Aah that was a cunning test to see if you’d read my post.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 02 Nov 2019 2:03pm ......(I reckon) played his best football in stints away from the goals, as the big, roaming utility/linking forward.......
He would have needed to dramatically improve his fitness, though.

I think this alternate and largely unexplored role....
Would he have suffered less concussions this way, too - who knows?
Funny you say that. As the concussions became more critical I wondered if his positioning on the whiteboard was affected. I actually imagined the exact opposite to your idea. I thought by playing ahead (no pun intended) of the ball, and leading towards it, it might have been a “safer” position and so wasn’t surprised to see him in Fwd 50

Secret Kiel
Club Player

damienc wrote: Sat 02 Nov 2019 3:27pm

so when you say:
is damaged goods,

On the contrary.

Only you.

yeah right, good try, still not backing away from the damaged goods comment and other misguided comments I see. Now that's cunning.

damienc
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 02 Nov 2019 4:46pm

so when you say:
is damaged goods,

On the contrary.

Only you.

yeah right, good try, still not backing away from the damaged goods comment and other misguided comments I see. Now that's cunning.
Mate. I have no problem with anything I said. Not backing away from anything

damienc
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 02 Nov 2019 4:46pm

so when you say:
is damaged goods,

On the contrary.

Only you.

Mate. I have no problem with anything I said. Not backing away from anything

Secret Kiel
Club Player

No Probs, I think it's clear enough now that you confused concussion with other "medical issues"

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 7:12pm Peter Motley, recruited to Carlton from Sturt was hit by a car and never played again

Neil Sasche, recruited to Footscray from North Adelaide, broke his neck in an on field collision and never played again

Sometimes s*** happens

And then you read some of the “opinions” on here

If I recall correctly McCartin has Type 1 diabetes

Have any of the Warriors on here been tested for Type 2 diabetes, given they obviously have a very sedentary life style?
Do you have the capacity to write a post that does not attempt to denigrate or belittle other contributors to this forum?

Perhaps you could elaborate on why you bother reading and contributing when your opinion of yourself and your input is of such a superior standard to the rest of the forum members?

In my experience those who are referring to others as warriors are usually the worst culprits themselves.

Lastly I recall Motley bing injured in a multi vehicle crash not hit by a car.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

you missed it Kiel

thats the moment
when the true warrior
allows his fellow combatant
to save face

won the battle
but lost the war

en garde

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Just say, Paddy recovered, and his "concussion vulnerability scores" - or whatever index they use, became so good that he would be deemed an acceptable risk. Then, through modern medicine, his diabetes became more manageable than ever imagined, and finally, to complete this Trifecta of joys, he got incredibly fit and strong...and then, say a fella like Jake Carlisle decides he wants to give CHF a shake and succeeds beyond expectations. Royce Hart like. Now, Paddy's agent gives us a call and said he is ready to step into (the footsteps of the great Shane Grambeau) a centre-half back position. Could you ever see Paddy doing it? Does a CHB really need so much speed and agility? What do CHBs do anyway nowadays? Remember Carlisle is no racehorse.