All the picks AFLW Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: All the picks AFLW Draft

The AFLW has been an intersting exercise over the last few years.
Until now, I have had very little interest in it after the very first game.
This is for a number of reasons.
1. We've never had a team before now.
2. The standard of the competiton.
3. The manic over promotion of the game.

Now we have a team, I will take more if an interest. I might even take my 12yo daughter along to a game or two. I love the AFLW as a concept for women who love to play Aussie Rules.
But, for me, it still lacks the skill that I desire to see when I go to a game of footy.
The poor field kicking and low scoring doesn't do it for me. The skills just aren't there. I'd rather watch VFL any day of the week and the standard of that comp compared to the AFL is chalk and cheese.

So, I'm happy to get behind the Saints AFLW team...not financially as a member...yet...but certainly as an observer and fan.

Just let's not try and compare or equate them to the AFL team.

stkfc1
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 9:58am
saintspremiers wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 10:38pm
stkfc1 wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 9:34am
saintspremiers wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 5:25am
Enrico_Misso wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 11:56pm We should reinstate the Moorabbin mud bowl.
Nah, I’d prefer jelly
Wow. This thread brought out the Neanderthals. Watch those knuckles while they drag on the ground boys.

Jelly? Really? Wonder if you'd be so flipant if it was your daughter out there?

Just think it's a easy ride and a lot of young boys are missing out due to priorities going elsewhere.

And why should young girls not get the same opportunity that young boys get to enjoy our great game. I know of a young girl who was an excellent prospect to play AFLW but was struck down with cancer. While she's recovering now, she has missed her opportunity to play due to the effects and its really effected her as it was all she wanted to do. Why should boys be prioritised over the girls who want the same opportunity?
Quit the PC bullshyte will you!

It’s two jokes Joyce! Bloody stupid fun police at it again.

I’m not actually against AFLW - I have a workmate who’s on the VFLW who unfortunately didn’t get drafted the other day - I know how hard she works training wise and the slog it to make it.
Would you tell your workmate jokingly that you'd prefer to watch them play in jelly? I doubt it. This isn't PC bullshyte, it's basic common decency and respect towards women. Something that a few on here clearly lack...
Exactly.

Like I said, you wouldnt say it if your daughter was out there, so pull your head in.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the herald sun.com

"North Adelaide SANFLW co-captain Nadia von Bertouch and South Adelaide speedy midfielder Hannah Munyard have had their AFLW dreams realised being picked up by Victorian clubs as post draft selections.

Von Bertouch is headed to expansion club St Kilda, while Munyard has landed with 2018’s AFLW premiers, Western Bulldogs.

Both were overlooked by the Crows in Tuesday’s state-based draft, and went into free agency, where the Saints and Bulldogs were able to pick them up after both clubs passed on one of their draft picks."

Special
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 11:08am The AFLW has been an intersting exercise over the last few years.

Now we have a team, I will take more if an interest. I might even take my 12yo daughter along to a game or two. I love the AFLW as a concept for women who love to play Aussie Rules.
But, for me, it still lacks the skill that I desire to see when I go to a game of footy.
The poor field kicking and low scoring doesn't do it for me. The skills just aren't there. I'd rather watch VFL any day of the week and the standard of that comp compared to the AFL is chalk and cheese.

So, I'm happy to get behind the Saints AFLW team...not financially as a member...yet...but certainly as an observer and fan.

You don’t need to financially support it if you’re a Saints member - same thing, we fund it.

Gershwin
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 11:08am The AFLW has been an intersting exercise over the last few years.

Definitely take your 12yo daughter and let her know that if she wants to play Aussie Rules she might end up playing for the mighty Saints. Wish I had a daughter.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Special
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 5:39pm

Definitely take your 12yo daughter and let her know that if she wants to play Aussie Rules she might end up playing for the mighty Saints. Wish I had a daughter.
Why’s that?

Do you have a son??

Gershwin
Club Player

Special wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 7:24pm

Why’s that?

Do you have a son??
Because the opportunities are opening up and the AFLW competition is going to take off.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 5:10pm You don’t need to financially support it if you’re a Saints member - same thing, we fund it.
I know we do indirectly but I meant directly purchasing a membership.
https://am.ticketmaster.com/stkilda/aflw-membership#/

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 11:36pm
Special wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 5:10pm You don’t need to financially support it if you’re a Saints member - same thing, we fund it.
I know we do indirectly but I meant directly purchasing a membership.
https://am.ticketmaster.com/stkilda/aflw-membership#/
I think AFLW membership of for the exclusive AFLW market - which is a different demographic to the main game.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 9:05pm
Special wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 7:24pm

Why’s that?

Do you have a son??
Because the opportunities are opening up and the AFLW competition is going to take off.
Yep far easier path than any of the other sports. In fact at the moment it's bordering on ridiculous how easy it is.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Premium89
Club Player

Special wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 7:11am
diddley wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:57pm
Premium89 wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:51pm
desertsaint wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:23pm maybe have a new board section called AWFL :) in this site for those fans to post on and read.
good on them and all, but this forum is for the st kilda afl club.

if we do a collingwood and get a netball team (a far higher standard of competition if you like watching elite female athletes, or in their case, elite sportspersons) are we going to see threads in here as well? no, we'd at best have a seperate section. as makes sense.

but hey, it's offseason, so i guess who really cares what gets put in here. always interesting reading in the off.
Ineresting point - I love the fact that we have a women's team now, It Gives us even more to talk about, and plenty more to argue about! Hopefully more success in future too...
Take your point about the Netball, but I don't see the AFLW as being a different club to the men - the Administration/coaches/facilities certainly don't seem to be set up that way. Obviously "AFLM" still gets the lions share, and i'm sure will still get the lion's share of attention here.
Careful referring to it as AFLM, that will bring out the knuckle draggers who can’t handle progression.
Are you the full quid?

It’s the AFL and AFLW.

There is absolutely no reason to call our national game AFLM.

Nice try, keep trying.
Just a bit of tongue in cheek fun! hence the "AFLM" quotation marks :D
Dunno about full quid, I usually aim for 3/4!

Special
Club Player

Premium89 wrote: Fri 25 Oct 2019 11:34am
Special wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 7:11am
diddley wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:57pm
Premium89 wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:51pm
desertsaint wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:23pm maybe have a new board section called AWFL :) in this site for those fans to post on and read.
good on them and all, but this forum is for the st kilda afl club.

if we do a collingwood and get a netball team (a far higher standard of competition if you like watching elite female athletes, or in their case, elite sportspersons) are we going to see threads in here as well? no, we'd at best have a seperate section. as makes sense.

but hey, it's offseason, so i guess who really cares what gets put in here. always interesting reading in the off.
Ineresting point - I love the fact that we have a women's team now, It Gives us even more to talk about, and plenty more to argue about! Hopefully more success in future too...
Take your point about the Netball, but I don't see the AFLW as being a different club to the men - the Administration/coaches/facilities certainly don't seem to be set up that way. Obviously "AFLM" still gets the lions share, and i'm sure will still get the lion's share of attention here.
Careful referring to it as AFLM, that will bring out the knuckle draggers who can’t handle progression.
Are you the full quid?

It’s the AFL and AFLW.

There is absolutely no reason to call our national game AFLM.

Nice try, keep trying.
Just a bit of tongue in cheek fun! hence the "AFLM" quotation marks :D
Dunno about full quid, I usually aim for 3/4!
Not worries. That a fair bit more than me