Let's Be Honest

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Let's Be Honest

To those who have been negative towards our drafting period...are you looking forward to 2020 more than what you were towards 2019 ?

Honestly.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Let's Be Honest

Way more to 2020.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Hill, Howard and Jones are going to improve our team .. by giving us more run and spread.
... and if Roberton, Bytel, Max King can chime in too, we'd be a whole different prosposition - finals would almost be a certainty.

We need some luck, that's all ...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

How will the forward line function without Bruce? Presume King will play forward with Membrey, but he’s unlikely to be ready just yet. So Battle as well? That’s what I’d do.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I was looking forward to 2020 because we would be getting players back with the addition of King and Bytel, plus an early draft pick.

Thought we might lose Steven but never thought for one moment that Bruce and Acres would be shown the door.

Losing them will only be partly offset by the guys recruited, IMHO.

Team unity will have taken a blow.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 10:13am I was looking forward to 2020 because we would be getting players back with the addition of King and Bytel, plus an early draft pick.

Thought we might lose Steven but never thought for one moment that Bruce and Acres would be shown the door.

Bruce was not shown the door. The Dogs offered him a 4 year contract and we weren't willing to match it. Now with the benefit of hindsight he was the player we could most afford to lose.

A 4 year deal is a very, very good deal for Bruce, he wasn't going to that offer from anyone else (Dogs were desperate), so why wouldn't he take it and glad we didn't match it because the argument would be we paid way overs for a player who could likely be replaced with King, maybe even 2 Kings.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Lets be honest, we are unlikely to play finals in 2020 but at least there is some excitement around the place.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 10:26am
saynta wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 10:13am I was looking forward to 2020 because we would be getting players back with the addition of King and Bytel, plus an early draft pick.

Bruce was not shown the door. The Dogs offered him a 4 year contract and we weren't willing to match it. Now with the benefit of hindsight he was the player we could most afford to lose.

A 4 year deal is a very, very good deal for Bruce, he wasn't going to that offer from anyone else (Dogs were desperate), so why wouldn't he take it and glad we didn't match it because the argument would be we paid way overs for a player who could likely be replaced with King, maybe even 2 Kings.
He was told at an exist meeting that the Saints wouldn't be extending his 2020 contract.

St Loxton
Club Player

Heaps more excited about a full Ratten pre-season and new game plan.
I don't expect the new team dynamics to click straight away but I do feel it won't take long to see something special with experienced players comming in.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Bruce was definitely shown the door.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

looking slightly more towards 2020 as we have a new coach and king should hopefully be fit.
would have given bruce a four year contract happily. we saved via steven and acres enough to pay him what the doggies offered no doubt. not sure what we do to fill chf. the last player we wanted to lose outside roma. king could indeed take that position, but you'd expect a couple of years in him first. some suggest battle, but if we're moving a very good young defensive prospect forward it would appear that we are short a tall forward. so why trade our best one away?
should be more competitive, hill is great but we dont have a fyfe to feed him. howard could well be another austin. jones is okay. b grade. we gained slightly more than we lost, but i thought we added the same to the team last year, with wilkie, hind, hannebury, and king. certainly king looking more exciting than any of this years recruits.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 10:36am

He was told at an exist meeting that the Saints wouldn't be extending his 2020 contract.
Haven't Lethlean and Galahger since stated he went into his exit meeting knowing Josh had a 4 year deal on the table from the Dogs? And haven't both Lethlean and Galahger both said since he was also told he was a required player but if they wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to take the 4 year deal because the club wouldn't match it?

There seems to be come confusion around who said what before, during and after the exit meeting. Anyone got any links to media that confirms Bruce was told by club officials during his exit meeting that his contract wasn't being extended beyond 2019?

barneyboyz
Club Player

I think Bruce was an interesting one here, especially since we picked King last year. He had a couple of his best games for the club this season, and apart from that leg injury which wasn't talked much about (at the time) he would most likely have sparked a 'bidding' war

I think Ratts coming out and clearly suggesting a change was needed might have spoken more than we think? and 3 - 5 more wins next season should help with unity

I too will be extremely happy to see King, Bytel and those other players returning have very good seasons

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 9:56am How will the forward line function without Bruce? Presume King will play forward with Membrey, but he’s unlikely to be ready just yet. So Battle as well? That’s what I’d do.
Me too - with one caveat. I think Battle will be able to play forward IF Roberton is able to resume his role as an intercept marking back. That's pretty much the role Josh played in 2019.

If Robbo comes up - I think Josh could be one helluva swingman.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Roberton and McCartin should be forced into retirement. They are placing their life in jeopardy if they paly AFL again.
I'm hoping wiser heads will prevail but knowing St Kilda that won't happen.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 11:08am

Haven't Lethlean and Galahger since stated he went into his exit meeting knowing Josh had a 4 year deal on the table from the Dogs? And haven't both Lethlean and Galahger both said since he was also told he was a required player but if they wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to take the 4 year deal because the club wouldn't match it?

There seems to be come confusion around who said what before, during and after the exit meeting. Anyone got any links to media that confirms Bruce was told by club officials during his exit meeting that his contract wasn't being extended beyond 2019?
People have latched onto the papers saying he was forced out. Take it for what it’s worth (which is really not much)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I said beyond 2020, not 2019.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 12:03pm Roberton and McCartin should be forced into retirement. They are placing their life in jeopardy if they paly AFL again.
I'm hoping wiser heads will prevail but knowing St Kilda that won't happen.
Did you answet my earlier question about where you got your MD from?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 12:13pm

People have latched onto the papers saying he was forced out. Take it for what it’s worth (which is really not much)
If you re read the media, particular one Fox article, it states Ratten denies wanting to move him out but was told he was free to explore his options, the article also reports the Dogs were reported as the ones claiming he was told to find a new home and goes further on to say that some inside Moorabbin looked at ways to move him on. The important thing to note with this is article is the timing of what was said, who said it and and when it was said. I can't find any media that states or confirms he was explicitly told he wasn't required in 2020 and Lethlean, Gallagher and Ratten all went on the record as saying he was required but he could take the 4 year deal if he wanted to as the club wouldn't match it.

It very much sounds like the Dogs offered Bruce a deal he couldn't refuse well before the season ended, just like we offered Hill a deal mid season that he couldn't refuse which leads me to an interesting point Damien Barrett made in his weekly column last week, players being able to break contracts and nominate the club of their choice, he believes a player shouldn't be allowed to chose the club.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 12:28pm

I said beyond 2020, not 2019.
Yeah so thanks for the clarification, can you confirm how you know Bruce was shown the door? I've tried to search the net for confirmation he was told at the exit meeting his 2020 contract wasn't going to be renewed.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Looking forward to 2020.
Can't wait to see Hill up and down the wing deep into last quarters opening up sides.

As disappointing as Stevens loss and poor compensation is, he barely played for us last year and so Hill alone will improve us considerably.

We have good talls at both ends and a couple of swingmen.
Josh Battle will be the interesting one, If he can play as a forward option. Has a huge tank so maybe even as a quasi defensive forward on the intercept markers of the opposition?

Nee!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I am detecting the majority are more enthused about next season than the last yet are still bagging the draft.

Gotta luv SS. :)

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I'm expecting the new coach to be a complete bust and am looking forward to 2025. On the plus side, at least we'll be in the women's comp!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Still a bit uneasy about things. I'm unsure about the culture, strategy and philosophy of our list, playing style and above all, our club.

Until we solve the bigger issues that plague the club and where it is headed in the next 10-20 years, I think most of these changes are fairly cosmetic.

I expect the decision to recruit the way we have will make us more competitive in 2020 and a finals' appearance is a possibility.

I rank us about 7th-11th. Our success won't be determined by the new players we've recruited, but by how hard we train, how focused we are and selfless we are willing to be.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

barneyboyz
Club Player

If you take it that Jack Steven wanted to leave from some stage in 2018? (I can't understand why several others didn't also want to leave??)

And, if you also take it that Josh Bruce was also leaving from some stage in late 2019 (writing on the wall re M. King drafting, and subsequent B. King discussions lately???)

Then gaining these 5 players for pick 6 and B. Acres (with some minor change) might really have been the trading coup of the century

One thing is certain though, depending on how they all go in the pre-season, there should be 50,000 people lined up at the gates to Marvel ST Rnd 1 next season.

As rough as our list has shown itself to be over the last couple of years, it has also shown signs that it wouldn't take all that much to seriously trouble that top 4 bracket

One more thing that seems a certanty atm, is that this club has finally found some 'off field' nous. Ratts, Lethers, Gubby and Gags have really started to breathe some fresh air into this old joint

This 'could' include M. Finnis too, but I'm not over him giving the dud 2 more years and delaying the uprising :wink:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink: