What’s the latest on Jack Steven?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: What’s the latest on Jack Steven?

CURLY wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 8:57am
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 8:54am
damienc wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 7:54am Geelong should be ashamed of how they are treating Jack Steven.

He is a four times best and fairest winner. Easily our best player for the past five years.

He had one bad season. The move to the Cats will probably give him a new lease on life surrounded by family.

To not offer a suitable pick in exchange for him is disrespectful to Jack and our footy club.

We will probably accept the deal but it stinks imo.
Is it possible the rest of the comp think Jack being the best player for the past five years at St Kilda was probably not that much of an achievement? Also possible that if we are happy to give him up cheaply that the people closest to the situation know something we don't?
Geelong know he will get there and know he will play very good footy. They also know that StKildas hand is forced on this one so won't be doing us any favours trade wise.
So you don't think it's at all possible that we've had enough of trying to help him out and just want to stop wasting club resources doing so by cutting him but making it look like we are doing the right thing by him? It actually costs a company money to support an employee, especially one that can't come to work. It would also appear other clubs in the competition are not beating down his door to pick up a bargain by dealing even slightly higher than Geelong to satisfy Simon Lethlean? If this is all true then Geelong really are doing him a favour with the upside being he might produce for them a couple of years of good footy but from the sounds of it, it is a huge risk on their behalf.

The pertinent point I make with regard to Jack and his trade value is that he's been on the market for a while and he has indicated he doesn't absolutely want to go to Geelong, so ask yourself, if we think he's worth so much why isn't the competition engaged in a trade war for his services knowing that he has not forced the club to only deal with Geelong. I think the club know all this and Simon Lethlean is hopeful his value right now is possibly to assist in some very small way with the multi club deal needed to pull of all other trades, i.e. he's being held onto until the very last minute just in case he somehow does provide some last minute value, albeit maybe a very small value but some value is better than zero value in these complex multi club trade scenarios.

Having said all of that I love Jack, have loved watching him play and I wish him all the best but I'm RW&B to the core and you are either for us or against us.
Last edited by Secret Kiel on Tue 15 Oct 2019 2:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

happy to send him off for as s*** a pick as it takes to get butcher and for geelong to pay all wages.
rather have a motivated player who wants to be here than someone who wants away and is just a financial and emotional drain on the club. for all his woes i think jacky boy is the architect of them, and needs to be responsible for sorting himself out. changing the environment could help, but i doubt by itself it will do much. hope it all works out and he comes good, but it won't be at the saints.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Better not be paying his salary.
Absolutely rooted by Cats here.
Can only assume the rumours are true

Nee!
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 1:45pm happy to send him off for as s*** a pick as it takes to get butcher and for geelong to pay all wages.
rather have a motivated player who wants to be here than someone who wants away and is just a financial and emotional drain on the club. for all his woes i think jacky boy is the architect of them, and needs to be responsible for sorting himself out. changing the environment could help, but i doubt by itself it will do much. hope it all works out and he comes good, but it won't be at the saints.
Just wow. 5 weeks on from Danny F you write this

NFI

You are no Sainter

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 1:59pm
desertsaint wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 1:45pm happy to send him off for as s*** a pick as it takes to get butcher and for geelong to pay all wages.
Just wow. 5 weeks on from Danny F you write this

NFI

You are no Sainter
yeah yeah. sure sure.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Schillaci
Club Player

Let’s wait and see what is involved.
What has been reported is laughable.
Surely not.

goods
Club Player

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 3:58pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 10:20am Now Brian Cook is in the media today claiming that Geelong don't want to part with one of their picks in the 20's or 30's.

So if I was St Kilda, I'd stand firm and tell Geelong to shove it.

If Jack wants to play footy with them in 2020 then they need to stump up or Jack can either sit out a year or play with us for the duration of his current contract
Hey Scollop, do you realise that Jack has depression/mental health issues? Your attitude might send him over the edge. Are you prepared to live with those consequences?
changing clubs does not cure depression. Two things. His wife left him and he needs to pay child support. He has to keep playing and it's completely understandable that he had that year off. Family breakdowns are like greaving clinically it's 12 months.. its not a lufe ailment. my bet is he will come back strong, don't give him away!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 11:36pm
Enrico_Misso wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 10:30pm
B.M wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 5:28pm Jack was happy to take 800k last year whilst StK gave him 16 weeks off to deal with his issues, and he’s happy for StK to pay another 400k whilst he plays at Geelong next year for pick 54.

I don’t think we owe him much, we have paid him pretty well over two years for 6 games.
I agree.
I think we have been extremely understanding towards JS.
Now we have to look after our own interests.

Taking pick 37 is akin to giving him away for nothing.
Unless we get a fair offer (ie first round pick) we should not capitulate to Geelong.
Under the guise of "doing the right thing by Jack" they are effectively bullying us.

I would sooner we stood our ground even if it means no deal is done.

For heavens sake
- we are paying him good money
- he has plenty of mates here and supportive fans
- it IS actually possible to commute from Lorne to Moorabbin
So why the hell should we give away an A grader to a top 4 side?
Am I the only one on here that has heard about his after dark activities? Spoke with a cats person last night well connected to the club and they definitely have. This sort of stuff counts and no doubt has contributed to his 'mental health' issues. Surely everyone can read between the lines? Surely?

This is pretty pathetic giving air to an unsubstantiated rumour.

There’s been a hell of a lot of different ones over the last year. Oh but you spoke to a very well connected cats person - must make this one true.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 6:09pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 3:58pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 10:20am Now Brian Cook is in the media today claiming that Geelong don't want to part with one of their picks in the 20's or 30's.

So if I was St Kilda, I'd stand firm and tell Geelong to shove it.

If Jack wants to play footy with them in 2020 then they need to stump up or Jack can either sit out a year or play with us for the duration of his current contract
Hey Scollop, do you realise that Jack has depression/mental health issues? Your attitude might send him over the edge. Are you prepared to live with those consequences?
City west/Nexxus this is real Pot.Kettle.Black

Go do us all a favour and get some help yourself first and foremost - and then stick ro the Essendrug forums

PS - your signature is pathetic and sad. Get some help.
My signature is spot on. Actually PADDLEPOP1001 was spot on.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 10:44am
B.M wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 5:28pm Jack was happy to take 800k last year whilst StK gave him 16 weeks off to deal with his issues, and he’s happy for StK to pay another 400k whilst he plays at Geelong next year for pick 54.

I don’t think we owe him much, we have paid him pretty well over two years for 6 games.
I agree.

Unless we get a fair offer (ie first round pick) we should not capitulate to Geelong.
Under the guise of "doing the right thing by Jack" they are effectively bullying us.

For heavens sake
Am I the only one on here that has heard about his after dark activities? Spoke with a cats person last night well connected to the club and they definitely have. This sort of stuff counts and no doubt has contributed to his 'mental health' issues. Surely everyone can read between the lines? Surely?

There’s been a hell of a lot of different ones over the last year. Oh but you spoke to a very well connected cats person - must make this one true.
Are you a journo spinner? Do you want three different sources independent of each other before posting? Must be hard to breathe with your head in the sand.
And BTW I'm NOT referring to the rumour that involves a couple of other footballers.....

guitars4
Club Player

He is a Geelong player just like Goddard was an Essendon player. :x

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 17 Oct 2019 3:14pm
Spinner wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 10:44am

I agree.

For heavens sake

Are you a journo spinner? Do you want three different sources independent of each other before posting? Must be hard to breathe with your head in the sand.
And BTW I'm NOT referring to the rumour that involves a couple of other footballers.....

Oh not that other rumour? This must be the rumour that’s true because you heard it off some bloke.

You’re the one trying to act like some sort of journo - and we all cry foul at their reporting. At least they have due diligence and a reputation on the line. You’re just peddling crap that’s just as likely to be untrue as it is to be true.