Gold coast draft package

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Gold coast draft package

Afl gone too far with their handouts...

Bloody compromised comp....

Another reason to turn back on afl

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gold coast draft package

Picks 2 and 20 this draft
Pick 11 2020 draft
Ist pick 2nd round 2020
Darwin zone

1 & 2 this year and 14 + 20
3 picks in top 20 next year

Crap
Last edited by chook23 on Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:50am, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely ridiculous, a complete reset if the entire Sun's debacle which has been of their own making...I wonder if Eddie will make a noise now? We're really going to have to take some risks over the next few trade periods to get back into this, or we'll be swapping spots with the Sun's. :x

gringo
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:36am Picks 2 and 20 this draft
Pick 11 2020 draft
Ist pick 2nd round 2020
Darwin zone

1 & 2 this year
3 picks in top 20 next year

Crap
That's bulls***, they decided to trade away all their players last year and now get special compensation for their idiocy. They gave away Lyons for nothing, sold Lynch, May and Kolodjasnij. Dickheads don't need handouts, they need management.

stkfc1
Club Player

Way overs. Why not give them a player from every other team, of their choice while we're at it. Joke.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

And we are essentially rebuilding at a time of compromised drafts again. Great, I love the AFL, reactionary idiots.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Bombard the afl with complaints re this......just gave them a serve over the phone....will follow up with emails...

This is just too big a hand feed.....

saint4life
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:53am And we are essentially rebuilding at a time of compromised drafts again. Great, I love the AFL, reactionary idiots.
That's exactly what I was thinking too. This is just absolute shite. I mean seriously - how fvcking unlucky are we to have re-built twice during compromised drafts.

Go you red, black & white warriors
CarlD
Club Player

Over time the Gold Coast has proven to be a sporting black hole (rugby league, basketball, soccer). Other clubs will still raid it's playing list and, given their low base, it is entirely possible that they will continue in an ongoing spiral trying to rebuild.

Even the AFL would baulk at gifting the Gold Coast a premiership ...., well, maybe not. :shock:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ridiculous.

I always knew they would change the rules to prop up their dud investment and called it 3 or 4 years back as others probably did too. Had many an argument with P66 over this.

f*** off.

:x :twisted: :evil:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

What a f****** farce.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Absolute Disgrace!

PADDLEPOP1000
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It's a rigged comp but supporters have to just suck it up...

SUCK IT UP.

:twisted: :evil:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
takeaway
Club Player

Way over the top. Will compromise the future of clubs like the Saints. If after this, say 3-4 years, they don't get up towards the top of the ladder, they should be disbanded. Fat chance of that though.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 1:02pm Way over the top. Will compromise the future of clubs like the Saints. If after this, say 3-4 years, they don't get up towards the top of the ladder, they should be disbanded. Fat chance of that though.
This.

And when Jonathon Brown and co. start beating their chests saying Gold Coast should be given the whole NASA space program in order to help them succeed, they should spare a thought for Bulldogs, Roos and Saints.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely putrid result for us!

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Ok I see this differently.

Draft picks are no longer attractive to GCS, as they have plenty. What they need now are mature players to help their draftees that come in for the next 3-5 years.

Puts Ben King for 3 or 4 mature players back in the table for us in THIS draft. Or 2 mature players plus our first rounder for the next draft where they may seek an extra one.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 3:18pm Ok I see this differently.

Draft picks are no longer attractive to GCS, as they have plenty. What they need now are mature players to help their draftees that come in for the next 3-5 years.

Puts Ben King for 3 or 4 mature players back in the table for us in THIS draft. Or 2 mature players plus our first rounder for the next draft where they may seek an extra one.
Who do we have that they'd want......and who would want to go there? We lack mature talent ourselves. Carlisle is the only one I can image they might want but he's got a kid and seems set up in Melbourne. All the rest of our players are either young keepers or ordinary.

amusingname
Club Player

I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL gave them this package with the caveat that trading away their young stars/talent while still under contract would not be looked upon favourably by HQ. When they fulfill their contracts but are not free agents is a different story.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They are officially a more attractive proposition than us now.

Lukoscious, Rankin, King, Rowell, Anderson, Sexton, Brodie, Fiorini, Ainsworth, Bowes, Miller, Weller, Wright, McLennan, MacPherson.

Special
Club Player

But Gil the f***wit has given them so much charity it makes it all a lot easier.

This is why I’m delighted their bullshyte lovechild team GWS got smacked in the Granny. Shame it wasn’t 100 points.

I sincerely hope GCS continue to be an epic fail and everything that can go wrong will go wrong with them.

This is war. It’s a farce and Gil must be sacked.

The idiots that run our comp allowed top 4 sides to get FA and still do. Thanks also Gil for allowing Richmond to win the flag courtesy of Lynch.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

add to my OP

Under the assistance deal, aimed at lifting GC, the AFL will also allow the Suns to simply list their academy players without bidding. In effect, they can simply list the players from their academy zone without going through the draft.

As part of the package that zone now includes Darwin. The Suns will also get access to up to 10 rookies.
Last edited by chook23 on Mon 30 Sep 2019 4:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 4:09pm They are officially a more attractive proposition than us now.

Lukoscious, Rankin, King, Rowell, Anderson, Sexton, Brodie, Fiorini, Ainsworth, Bowes, Miller, Weller, Wright, McLennan, MacPherson.
Absolute frogshit and you know it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
takeaway
Club Player

chook23 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 4:16pm add to my OP

Under the assistance deal, aimed at lifting GC, the AFL will also allow the Suns to simply list their academy players without bidding. In effect, they can simply list the players from their academy zone without going through the draft.

As part of the package that zone now includes Darwin. The Suns will also get access to up to 10 rookies.
That is really my main concern - likely to be an increasingly productive zone, Darwin. A lot of talent up there, no more Rioli's or the like for the other clubs for a while. Is it only for 3 years? The AFL has reserved the right to remove future picks or academy listings depending on the Sun's performance. That indicates that the AFL are aware of how good the zone could be. It also shows, with Darwin being over the other side of the country, that the decision to create a team in Gold Coast was a stuff up.

Stuff them, get Bing now before they start winning too much and he might be inclined to stay. Their CEO did not categorically rule it out, but said for Bing to go it would need to be "something extraordinary". They want mid aged mature players - get thinking Saints. Need Bing to something like he would like to come to Saints this year, but if they hold him to his contract, he would leave after next year. Go Bing.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 4:47pm
chook23 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 4:16pm add to my OP

That is really my main concern - likely to be an increasingly productive zone, Darwin. A lot of talent up there, no more Rioli's or the like for the other clubs for a while. Is it only for 3 years? The AFL has reserved the right to remove future picks or academy listings depending on the Sun's performance. That indicates that the AFL are aware of how good the zone could be. It also shows, with Darwin being over the other side of the country, that the decision to create a team in Gold Coast was a stuff up.

Stuff them, get Bing now before they start winning too much and he might be inclined to stay. Their CEO did not categorically rule it out, but said for Bing to go it would need to be "something extraordinary". They want mid aged mature players - get thinking Saints. Need Bing to something like he would like to come to Saints this year, but if they hold him to his contract, he would leave after next year. Go Bing.
The only Issue with Ben King is that he's less priority than quality mids. Brisbane have had the two best young up and coming talls recently in Hipwood and Harris Andrews, both at the same age were ahead of King, so while he's looking likely to be a gun, it's not like we will see him come in next year and dominate. I want King but having to give up a lot for him will set us back a couple of seasons IMO. Potentially we would have to play him back as well which makes him less appealing to me.