Coach to be announced on Friday 30th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Special
Club Player

Re: Coach to be announced on Friday 30th

Spinner wrote: Mon 02 Sep 2019 11:15pm
Jacks Back wrote: Mon 02 Sep 2019 11:10pm Would rather have Banger!
Same.

I want more change than a bloke that has been there from the start of the year, brought on board to make change.

Not enough for me.
Ratts was brought in a year ago to learn about the club and players and what needs fixing. It can’t all be done in one year, given the shocking mess Cho left us in.

So you want another coach who struggles to communicate like Richo?

Don’t get me wrong - I love Harvs as a player and think he’s a brilliant assistant coach - but that’s his level.

I’d love him back at the club as an assistant to Ratts but not the public main man who’s job is to sell the club also.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Is it really the word from Collingwood that Harves is incapable of communicating with the players?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Was it. Typo and is the coach to be revealed on Friday 13th

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

This is taking a while..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

They should just bloody well get on with announcing it.
What's the value in delaying?

Nee!
The Craw
Club Player

chook23 wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 11:46am
The Craw wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 11:08am
chook23 wrote: Mon 02 Sep 2019 9:44pm 2018.....West Coast
2017.....Richmond
2016.....Bulldogs
2015.....hawks
2014.....hawks
2013.....hawks
2012.....Swans
2011.....Geelong
2010.....Pies
2009.....Geelong
2008.....Hawks
2007.....Geelong
2006.....west coast
2005.....swans
2004.....Port
2001-3...Brisbane
2000.....Essendon
1999.....North
1998.....CROWS.......xxxxxxx

All coaches won a premiership in their FIRST stint as coach except 2010 and 1998

Lets hope RATTEN does a malthouse and blight if appointed.......
Er ...... Brisbane 2001-3 ..... Matthews ????
Err IN HIS FIRST STINT as coach won a premiership with Pies....1990....

ERR
Rightttt ..... got it.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

I really hope it is not Ratten. Nothing against the guy but he is just an extension of Richo. After Richo departed there was a spike in our performance but the last 2 weeks showed it was still the same ol same ol.

The players/club need a new voice to be able to go forward and more importantly to be able to prosper. For that reason I would like to see Banger get the job initially for 2 years. Banger has had 10 years experience as an assistant coach now and Collingwood's midfield is the best in the business under his guidance. He is more than ready.

Let's be brave for once rather than taking the safe option and choosing Ratten.

Having said all that, St Kilda's fortunes will not improve unless our recruiting philosophy changes. If we continue to trade in older players every year we will be firmly in the bottom half of the ladder for another 8 years. If we are going to trade then trade for younger players or improve our draft hand. Keep building from the bottom up and rather than from the top down. If we need more experience get that in through FA rather than wasting picks. Use all our picks at the draft and keep adding to the core of players 25 years old and under.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
To the top
SS Life Member

To me Richardson had his faults, being one of those who Coach in their own image (so "blue collar", as is Langer in my view).

Hence the development of a side being totally built from nothing post Fisher, Dempster, Riewoldt and Montagna, being the last from that era, lacked because the young talent was being suffocated by role and process

Hence the assessment of Ratten when he arrived at St Kilda, which I am privy to.

But, apart from that assessment of mine (and who does not have fault?), the criticism of Richardson is wide of the mark and is insulting in the extreme

Simply he was appointed, took on a Basket Case Club courtesy of the Lyon period and (apart from Lovett who was required because of what he would have bought and addressing a glaring deficiency) a Club totally focused on the immediate, not building a sustainable model for the future.

Yes we bought in Gardiner from West Coast, who was class.

But list the others, whose names escape me but include Birss (who finished at West Adelaide), Peake, Gardiner from Geelong and there were others.

Instead of giving opportunity to talented youth, cutting their teeth under the cover of exceptional players.

We instead "topped up" with role players who could not cement positions with their original Clubs, including Clubs down the ladder.

Hence where the Club is today and why the build remains a work in process (and always will to be successful).

Richardson, for his faults, has played a significant part in the build.

It is now a time for a change in focus to maximize on what has been achieved to date.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

"Finnis also said the club was closing in on appointing a senior coach, with the hope the new leader will be in place in time to speak at the club's Trevor Barker Award next Wednesday."
- from afl.com.

Rocket
Club Player

Assume something is holding this decision up.....IF it was straight Ratten, my guess we may have announced by now?

Could it be a Mitchell or Harvey with Ratten as Director of Coaching - Sexton gone, Ratten gets a 4-5 year gig with added responsibilities.... Have a two prong coaching approach; spread the load or scrutiny beyond one central head. It might be time to improvise and come up with something other clubs (AFL system) have not yet tried.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Ratts...announced tomorrow

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Is ratts the name or your opinion? If it's the name, it's my opinion.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 11:15am Is ratts the name or your opinion? If it's the name, it's my opinion.
Sorry Ted is rubbing off on me :)

heard from an Ex Player

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 11:13am Ratts...announced tomorrow
Tomorrow or Tamara?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 12:18pm
Tomorrow or Tamara?
mañana

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Friday the 37th... when the clock strikes 13.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

unlike ted I get it right :)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 12:31pm I really hope it is not Ratten. Nothing against the guy but he is just an extension of Richo. After Richo departed there was a spike in our performance but the last 2 weeks showed it was still the same ol same ol.

The players/club need a new voice to be able to go forward and more importantly to be able to prosper. For that reason I would like to see Banger get the job initially for 2 years. Banger has had 10 years experience as an assistant coach now and Collingwood's midfield is the best in the business under his guidance. He is more than ready.

Having said all that, St Kilda's fortunes will not improve unless our recruiting philosophy changes. If we continue to trade in older players every year we will be firmly in the bottom half of the ladder for another 8 years. If we are going to trade then trade for younger players or improve our draft hand. Keep building from the bottom up and rather than from the top down. If we need more experience get that in through FA rather than wasting picks. Use all our picks at the draft and keep adding to the core of players 25 years old and under.
Folks, should we play city west or get him banned?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2019 5:56pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 12:31pm I really hope it is not Ratten. Nothing against the guy but he is just an extension of Richo. After Richo departed there was a spike in our performance but the last 2 weeks showed it was still the same ol same ol.

Nothing wrong with my post saintspremiers. Why are you trying to start trouble?

The board has decided to go with Brett so I will back him but I fear that we have alienated our best ever player and I doubt he will ever forgive us.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote:
saintspremiers wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2019 5:56pm

Nothing wrong with my post saintspremiers. Why are you trying to start trouble?

The board has decided to go with Brett so I will back him but I fear that we have alienated our best ever player and I doubt he will ever forgive us.
What are the consequences of alienating “our best ever player”? It’s not like he was going to be captain coach and now he’ll refuse to play for us.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"