Ryder to Saints (two year deal)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ryder to Saints (two year deal)

Premium89 wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 4:52pm
B.M wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 11:32am
This will be the straw that breaks the camels back for me. Last time I was this disgruntled with the club was 2009.
Sheesh! So everything's been going swimmingly for us since then?

Exactly... absolutely no idea.

Not happy with 2009... obviously everyone wanted a step further but disgruntled?

The Barometer
Club Player

Wasn’t it mentioned during the year that Marshall was seen in the future as a forward who sometimes rucks?
Maybe the club want to develop Marshall as a forward? Ryder as ruck would allow that and maybe why Bruce might go for the right deal. Else we get a kid or state leaguer to ruck.
If Marshall develops as a forward as quick as he did a ruck we could have a King, Marshall as tall forwards, Membrey as third tall. Relief ruck of Marshall would be pretty handy... sounds ok to me as long as we have a plan post Ryder.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 5:23pm I wouldn’t say Marshall is developing, he was a top 6 ruckman in the league this year.
I doubt Marshall has reached his ceiling, he has plenty to learn and strikes me as a young man wanting to learn. He's very much still developing, quite scary really.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 12:54pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 12:41pm
saintsRrising wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 12:34pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 12:28pm Very similar to the Stephan King recruitment. Ryder us surplus to Port and played accordingly. Great pick up as a back up ruck.
So you really believe that Ryder is going to be a "back-up" ruck and play at Sandy for most games?

No what will happen is one of:
- 2 rucks will share sitting on the pine and we go with one less mid and impair our midfield rotation
- We play Paddy instead of Bruce as a key forward for most of the game and have a less effective forward line
- Max gets to twiddle his thumbs at Sandy
No I think we can play both. Marshall can rest forward he can also play as a ruck rover playing behind the ball. Ryder is also capable of playing behind the ball.

If you play Ryder and Marshall you either have to;

- Play one less genuine key forward
- Play one less mid

Bruce is a better key forward than either Marshall or Ryder.

Ryder is also only a stop-gap. Stop-gap thinking is not how you win games and moreso when you move out a good player to gain a stop-gap player.

This deal smack of Lethers wanting to be seen as a player to help line up his next career move.

We are a team in need of genuine rebuilding (which cannot be done in just one off-season). We are not a team that is topping up to win a flag next year.
Stop it! Who said recruiting Ryder meant Ryder is going to play WITH Marshall? He’s there as a back up. We just delisted Longer and Pierce. FFS - it’s not that complex

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 10:24pm
B.M wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 5:23pm I wouldn’t say Marshall is developing, he was a top 6 ruckman in the league this year.
I doubt Marshall has reached his ceiling, he has plenty to learn and strikes me as a young man wanting to learn. He's very much still developing, quite scary really.
Marshal has only played 33 games, and of those what only about 20 as the No 1 ruck. Do of course he is still developing is terms of knowledge and experience and especially in ruck play.

He is also still quite young fora ruckman physically.

His strength in the contest was so much better this year. Opposition players were struggling to bring him to ground with tackles.

I would be amazed if Marshall does not develop into a much better player in 2-3 seasons time.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Reading what Port Fans think, it is that he is almost cooked and certainly not a forward. Yet we want him?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 11:19am Ryder is ideal.

He won't hog Marshall's ruck time, and can go forward when resting if required.

Won't cost much either.

Great way to support Marshall's development instead of stifling it.

Big win for us.
I agree.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 1:50pm
mad saint guy wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 1:11pm Could well be a placeholder for King for a year or two. Ryder isn't great as a forward but we clearly do need another tall up there, and a combination of Marshall and Ryder in the ruck would be one of the best in the competition. I'd be fine with getting Ryder if he comes cheap. Bring in Ryder, Hill, Martin and Tomlinson at the cost of Steven, Acres, Dunstan, Lonie, Newnes and some draft picks (Roberton and McCartin done).

B: Wilkie, Carlisle, Webster
HB: Clark, Battle, Tomlinson
C: Hill, Steele, Ross
HF: Billings, Bruce, Hind
F: Martin, Membrey, Ryder

Foll: Marshall, Gresham, Hannebery
Int: Bytel, Coffield, Parker, Sinclair

Still probably not a finals side but it's one I'd be happy to watch
Do you think King isn't going to play for 2 years? If he gets through the pre-season, I reckon he'd be a monty for Rnd 1
I think he should be played sparingly. King has now basically missed 2 years of footy with injury and will still be a rake thin teenager next year. We have all seen talented young talls played too often, too early and have that hamper them for the rest of their career. 8-10 senior games for King would be ideal IMO

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Port has a history of bending us over. Austin, Brooks come to mind. Even gave them some cash as compensation for Richo.
I will fair dinkum spew if it’s anything other than a late 3rd or 4th rounder.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
The Recruit
Club Player

He is just a backup
With longer and Pierce gone he is certainly locked in to wear the red white and black so time to embrace the boy.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 9:48pm
Premium89 wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 4:52pm
B.M wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 11:32am
This will be the straw that breaks the camels back for me. Last time I was this disgruntled with the club was 2009.
Sheesh! So everything's been going swimmingly for us since then?

Exactly... absolutely no idea.

Not happy with 2009... obviously everyone wanted a step further but disgruntled?
I do believe this is a reference to who we traded our first round pick for in that off-season... BM was very critical of the move even before it went south

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 1:11am
I do believe this is a reference to who we traded our first round pick for in that off-season... BM was very critical of the move even before it went south
If Wasteaway had not have vetoed Cousins that particular trade may never have happened and we may well have won a premiership or two.

Cousins certainly went to pies after finishing at Richmond but would have been more than useful in 2009.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 29 Aug 2019 10:00am, edited 1 time in total.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

A former AFL ruckman in SA says he is shot let’s not do this,please saints!

PADDLEPOP1000
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 11:05pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 11:19am Ryder is ideal.

He won't hog Marshall's ruck time, and can go forward when resting if required.

Won't cost much either.

Great way to support Marshall's development instead of stifling it.

Big win for us.
I agree.

I agree too, very surprised by the views in this thread...

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 2:13am
If Wasteaway had not have vetoed Cousins that particular trade may never have happened and we may well have won a premiership or two.

Cousins certainly went to pies after finishing at Richmond but would have been more than useful in 20009.
Really??? I wish he had vetoed Harvey's exiting, then we would of had no need for Cousins full stop. Unbelievably crazy we went hard for Cousins whilst pushing Harvey out the door.

I'm glad we didn't get Cousins & spewing we got Lovett.

Most of all it was a toe poke & woeful kicking at goal AND a one in 20 bounce of a Sherrin that cost us two flags.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 1:38pm Ryder was AA in 2017??

Why is wveryone whinging then? Big pre season and he could be a gun ruckman. he is only 32 not 42. relax everyone
You mustn’t have seen him play this season.
He looks slow, immobile and overweight.
A lot can happen in 3 years 2017 and 2020 and between the age of 29 & 32.

Also many on here believe we need a ruck who can be an effective key forward, Ryder can no longer play key forward IMO.

Seems a desperation recruitment.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cousins certainly went to pies after finishing at Richmond but would have been more than useful in 20009.
Nothing is certain obviously but that decision certainly looms as a stinker when you look at the risk/reward outcome.

Let me throw another thought there too... my understanding is that Harvey wanted another year. One has to imagine that he would have still been alright.

Imagine that - 09 Grandfinal.
Out Dempster and McQualter (unlucky)

In - Harvey and Cousins

Results - Saints win by 10 goals

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 6:54am
SMS wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 1:38pm Ryder was AA in 2017??

Why is wveryone whinging then? Big pre season and he could be a gun ruckman. he is only 32 not 42. relax everyone
You mustn’t have seen him play this season.
He looks slow, immobile and overweight.
A lot can happen in 3 years 2017 and 2020 and between the age of 29 & 32.

Also many on here believe we need a ruck who can be an effective key forward, Ryder can no longer play key forward IMO.

Seems a desperation recruitment.
I think Lethers is more excited at recruiting a "name" player rather that the actuality of what that player will actually achieve with us.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 11:02pm Reading what Port Fans think, it is that he is almost cooked and certainly not a forward. Yet we want him?
Supporter group potting a player that is leaving their club. s*** thats the first time that's happened. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
spert
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 6:30am

Really??? I wish he had vetoed Harvey's exiting, then we would of had no need for Cousins full stop. Unbelievably crazy we went hard for Cousins whilst pushing Harvey out the door.

Most of all it was a toe poke & woeful kicking at goal AND a one in 20 bounce of a Sherrin that cost us two flags.
I'm sorry, but if I hear another thing about toe pokes and lucky bounces I'll spew. Move on please

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 10:14am
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 6:30am

I'm sorry, but if I hear another thing about toe pokes and lucky bounces I'll spew. Move on please
Apologies Spert, I will try to avoid that but when people speak of Cousins, I find toe pokes & unlucky bounces a bit more tangible.

Let us move on to the next chapter of St Kilda history that, no doubt, we will need to move on from.

You will find the sick bag in the pocket behind the seat in front of you, tucked behind the DVD of The Streak.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

For those that know...

How was Paddy’s 2019? What’s he worth?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 10:43am For those that know...

He is surplus to Port now so I'm tipping a very late pick just to move him on.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 10:43am For those that know...

Paddy & #5 to the Suns for #1 and B King - good deal for all :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 10:10am
saintsRrising wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 11:02pm Reading what Port Fans think, it is that he is almost cooked and certainly not a forward. Yet we want him?
Supporter group potting a player that is leaving their club. s*** thats the first time that's happened. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Agree Curly, supporters are only qualified to evaluate the performance of umpires, not players.