Who do we want to coach us and who do we think will?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8bloggs
Club Player

Re: Who do we want to coach us and who do we think will?

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 10:08pmLongmuir
Not sure if this article from The Age August 23rd re Longmuir has already been posted:
"Freo favourite Longmuir met with Saints.
Fremantle coaching favourite Justin Longmuir has also attracted interest from St Kilda, with the Collingwood assistant coaching meeting with the Saints' coaching subcommittee earlier this month.
Longmuir and fellow Magpies assistant Robert Harvey have both been spoken to by St Kilda as the Saints move closer to appointing a full-time replacement for Alan Richardson, who resigned in anticipation of being sacked from St Kilda in July.
Caretaker coach Brett Ratten remains the short-priced favourite to replace Richardson, with Ratten having impressed players and staff at Moorabbin since arriving at the club at the end of last season.
But that has not stopped the Saints' coaching selection subcommittee - comprised of president Andrew Bassat, football director Dean Anderson, chief executive Matt Finnis, general manager of football Simon Lethlean and the AFL's head of coaching David Rath - from sounding out candidates from rivals clubs.
The Age understands the Saints panel met Longmuir earlier this month, while Harvey has remained in contact with St Kilda as recently as this week, meeting Lethlean in public in the lead-up to round 23.
Harvey applied for the Saints' coaching job in 2011 after Ross Lyon departed, but St Kilda chose Scott Watters, a move which ultimately didn't work. Harvey has since worked at Collingwood, sharing a strong bond with Pies coach Nathan Buckley.
Longmuir has won rave reviews since arriving at the Holden Centre at the end of 2017, shaping the club's defence which took them to within a goal of a premiership last year. The Pies have remained one of the stingiest defences in the competition in 2019. The former Fremantle forward/ruck, who spent seven years as an assistant at West Coast before heading with his family to Victoria, has been installed by corporate bookmakers as one of two clear favourites to replace Lyon - who was sacked this week - at the Dockers. Former Fremantle assistant Peter Sumich - who coached Western Australia's under-18s to a national title this year - is the other man widely viewed to be a frontrunner in the race to succeed Lyon. Buckley said earlier this week that he expected Longmuir to be in the mix for the Dockers job. "He's been so impressive. He's aspired to senior coaching through his journey and he's continued to school himself up," Buckley said. "His relationship building with the players has been first-class. "I've got no doubt that he could do the job and it's up to the club that look at him to work out whether he's the right fit."

So Ratten, Harvey and Longmuir have been interviewed. Given Ratts comments last Saturday that he would know one way or another in 7 to 10 days whether or not he gets the job, it sounds like a decision could be made early next week....

I don't have a clear favourite out of Ratten/Harvey/Longmuir.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

It appears that Ratten, Harvey & Longmuir (perhaps B Scott) are the only candidates.

No sign of Lyon or anyone else, unless its been kept quiet.

oldie60
Club Player

Ratten should get the job as i think he has already identified some damning issues regarding skill. As far as Harvey goes please no, i love the guy but not coaching anywhere outright ( local, VFL or interstate ) with him calling the shots concerns me as there have been numerous coaching jobs going over a few years and he is still an assistant. Can we cut the romance out, its a business.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Ratts will probably get it but who knows! Loved his brutal honesty after that meek effort on Saturday, especially when he said it’s only been 6 weeks and I’m already over the missed opportunities bulls**t.

Comes across as a really nice guy but a lot of people mistake kindness for weakness and, maybe some of the players have too. He didn’t mince words last Saturday and I think he’d make a big statement on a lot of careers very early.

No more ‘positive’ and ‘pleasing’ crap. You either tow the line and take your game to another level or we’ll find players that will.

takeaway
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 6:41pm Ratts will probably get it but who knows! Loved his brutal honesty after that meek effort on Saturday, especially when he said it’s only been 6 weeks and I’m already over the missed opportunities bulls**t.

Comes across as a really nice guy but a lot of people mistake kindness for weakness and, maybe some of the players have too. He didn’t mince words last Saturday and I think he’d make a big statement on a lot of careers very early.

No more ‘positive’ and ‘pleasing’ crap. You either tow the line and take your game to another level or we’ll find players that will.
Not too many "positives", but Ratts has used "pleasing" 17 times since taking over. May count against him.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

takeaway wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 6:54pm
prwilkinson wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 6:41pm Ratts will probably get it but who knows! Loved his brutal honesty after that meek effort on Saturday, especially when he said it’s only been 6 weeks and I’m already over the missed opportunities bulls**t.

Not too many "positives", but Ratts has used "pleasing" 17 times since taking over. May count against him.
Maybe we should get him a thesaurus for Christmas.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not sure why things can’t be ‘pleasing’?

Seems a pretty normal way to describe something you’re happy with

older saint
SS Life Member

I think Ratts will get it but spoke to a client who is involved at Collingwood and they think Harvey is in this up to his eyeballs

degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 11:06am Ratten. He’ll get the best out of what he’s got. Good solid bloke and a people person.
Sounds like someone's resume we've read already...bring on Rattcho then?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If you are Matt Finnis and Lethlean and that other bloke from AFL headquarters, who would be the best coach for short term revenue gain? That's all the AFL are interested in right?

So...Harvey it is then

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Agree, I think people underestimate him. He can be tough when he needs to be.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Rob Harvey

think Ratten will get it though

saint4life