Stkilda Trade period Who to let go who to target

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Drew21
Club Player

Stkilda Trade period Who to let go who to target

Stkilda trade period

Untouchable

Marshal - shows Grundy like potential if he can reach near that he will be a star for years

Gresham - has the capabilities to win a match of his own boot rare as hens teeth

King - Pray his Body holds up can’t teach players to be tall

Clarke - came on leaps and bound has poise for days

Coffield- looked to be gaining confidence has speed and would love to see him back that in

Membery- best and underrated forward will be the benefactor of king in the side

Hind - can’t teach speed and makes good decisions with the ball would love to see it offf half back a little like saad

Long - goal sense and agro if we ever make finals he would be in his element

Wilkie - what a find just a berry good footballer

Battle - had a good year in defence and could take another step with more games under his belt

Hannebery - still a very good footballer and hits targets under pressure

Steele - just a bull and next captain

Would trade for overs / fair deal

Billings - 1st round pick- good player but would trade for a early 1st rounder if offered

Bruce - 1st round pick or early second- might get pushed out if ryder comes in teams may be interested eg collingwood or bulldogs and may pay overs to get him

Carlisle - 1st round pick - had good patches. But seems to give up cheap goofy goals or undisciplined goals although I do like his agro

Steven- 2 second rounders - at his best he is our best player but don’t see him in our next finals side which could be a few years off get something while you can

Lonie - player or second rounder - smart player but misses lots of gettable goals
Would trade for a faster forward with more tackle pressure

Savage player or second rounder - good year and reliable with ball in hand teams might come knocking for a bloke that can roost it 60

Ross. 2 second rounders or outside mid type- accumulation master disposal terrible

Dunstan second rounder or outside mid type - hard as nails and try’s his guts out would offload if opportunity was there

Geary won’t happen but I’d take a second rounder for him - Hard at it and try’s his guys out but can not trust his disposal out of the back line

Webster - second rounder - no one kicks the ball aswell as Webster thinks he does ball spins so nicely on to the chest of the opposition

Acres - in a brad hill trade- nearly player as moments when he looks like Nat Fyfe then looks like Zac dawson the rest of the time

Would trade or delist
Newnes - worth 4 rounder at best - richo loves him can’t understand why? No ticker

Longer - gone - had his time and did nothing with it

Pierce - gone - showed some glimpses but concussion has got him and can’t risk sending him out

Armartage- gone - great player in his time but time has caught up

Sinclair - worth a 3rd rounder stagnated last few years after a good first couple years. Undersized wingman

Rice - Just cut- Going no where
Rowe - gone- was not the worst on the week end but will have cover in defence next year

Hold one more year
Brown - still a very good defender one more year in him and can teach battle and help him grow

Phillips - good runner still young and I hold hopes he can turnout like his brother

Parker - started hot faded but is exciting to see what he can do with another preseason under his belt

McKenzie- no one will want him so no choice is a nearly player with pace but can not dispose of the ball at pace

Marsh- decent insurance policy can swing forward and back

Young - hasn’t really had a chance but has speed Kicked a good running goal on debut against Collingwood. Cost nothing to keep

Claravino- jury’s out but willing to hold one more year haven’t seen anything bad or good really

Bytel - Slid in draft due to back injury was rated highly prior - hope he can repay the faith a lot of people are bullish on him

White - new coach might save him Richo didn’t give him a chance good size and athletic

Austin - no value on market and cost little to hold as insurance

Paton- I like him a lot good kick under pressure makes some mistakes but shows potential

Trade Targets
Who we should target

Brad Hill - finally a target that makes sense out side run and class best wingman in the game would look to split pick 5 in to two 1st rounders and send one to Freo. Or send acres aswell and try snare Langdon as well. Worth a try ;)

Ben King
I believe we should of made a move in last years draft to take him then and there. Have two brothers that LOVE the club holding down key post for the next decade and would hardly consider leaving
Could a future 1st and say a Ross or dunstan get this done ?

Langdon - very good player. Want to come back to Melbourne could we trade for him and hill. Two upgrades in one deal
Acres could be part of a deal

Sidebottom
getting on abut but is maybe one of the classiest players in the afl ...pies will have issues keeping all there guns next year do we try snare him out

Tippinwuddii If he available you have to try and nab him unsure if he’s a unrestricted free agent or not. But I would happily swap Lonnie for him . We can afford to pay him and even just for the excitement he would bring

Paddy Ryder - 2 year deal would get this done. Cover for marshal also take some big hits against the bigger ruckman to help preserve marshal

Dan butler- would not take much to get an upgrade on Lonnie in the speed and pressure department

Bailey dale out of contract at the dogs
Showed to be a damaging forward good size long arms and good in air and on ground dogs might play hard ball but straight swap for Bruce I like but clubs don’t like straight swaps so might have to throw in a swap of late picks or something

Anyway agree or disagree discusss below

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stkilda Trade period Who to let go who to target

Wow you want to trade in (he is not a FA) an old player like Ryder, but exit Bruce.

Ryder is not that flash as a key forward. He is only ok when resting or pushing forward as a No 1 Ruck. Given Marshall fantastic year, and being a player who clearly thrives on playing No1, I really do not get why people are advocating bring players like Ryder or Goldie in who have limited shelf life and who will only hamper Marshall's development and motivation.

Bruce has just turned 27 as as a CHF that means he is now entering his best years. Has had excellent year despite having virtually no one in the team that can pass the ball well to him.

Any player we now get or keep should be capable of playing 5 or 6 years.

The other point is if you trade out Bruce who does all the pack smashing is that Max King is going to cop a bashing with out him in the team.

Keep Bruce who will do all the tough stuff and Max can just play second fiddle and start his career by leading and taking marks leaping in over the top.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think the club needs to clearly decide that we will be not in the premiership window in 2020 and rather than chase any old players for next year like Ryder, Goldie, Sidebottom etc that we now only bring in players who can potentially play 5 years or more.

We need with every player that we bring in now to be over he next few seasons be improving the team.

We also now need to focus on QUALITY players with good disposal skills.

A player like Langdon is arguably a good player, BUT we are a team already full of ball butchers. So he is not for us (Listen to Ratts post-game review). He will not really improve us.

I don't want any more role players or depth players. We have ample, We need players that can genuinely make a difference.

Hill is such a beast as he is:
-Gettable
-Quick and a linebreaking
-Quite good disposal and our forwards will love him.

We need to keep CHURNING through our list. We have held on to way too many players hoping that one day that they overcome major flaws in their game. The latest 3 year contact extension is but one example (This after Tony 74 reporting that he was banished to Sandy to fix his kicking. Players generally don't fix their kicking). We need to churn as the more players you go through the more players you will find like Marshall.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Drew21 wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 11:44am
Carlisle - 1st round pick - had good patches. But seems to give up cheap goofy goals or undisciplined goals although I do like his agro

Carlisle I see quite differently to Bruce.

Yes he missed pre-season and most of this year and so would not have been truly fit, but when you look at his recent years with us while exceptionally good in many games too often he can also look disinterested and churlish. Also went sent into the ruck or forward he never seems to work hard enough.

So agree if we get a good offer them he should be up for trade.

The other reason is Battle. Battle just looks really good at CHB and I think that neither he nor Carlisle looks as good at FB. So for 2020 I would be happy to go with:
- Battle at CHB,
- Brown at FB with Tomlinson and others being tried there.

Calisle may potentially be used to gain King, or to obtain an extra quality mid.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hill is who we need, especially if Steven goes. I'd keep ross, dunstan and steele though. steele has a different role. dunstan is the hard inside mid who gets in and excellent at blocking, steele waits on his man and tackles, a much easier job.
comparing the three stats ross gets more ball, steele far more tackles, but dunstan gets more clearances and turns it over less than both despite his role. he also leads them in contested possessions and has less clangers. all three have a disposal efficiency in the low 70s but again considering where luke gets the ball its possibly in his favour. he's the best handballer but the worst kick of those three (all three poor). Ross gains the most metres as he gets more outside ball and hence more kicks. Steele being a tagger is easily the lowest in this stat.
If Hill replaces any it would be Ross as he brings in metres gained. Aside from that Ross has him covered in every stat. Surprisingly Hill has a much worse disposal efficiency.
Hannebury is the only current player that could do Dunstan's job, but could we trust his body all season? Steele is our designated tagger and one of the best in that job.
Clark will also become an excellent outside mid, Acres hasn't been given nearly enough development time in the middle so the jury is out, but very tradeable. Gresh is a small forward and should be left there.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 1:57pm Wow you want to trade in (he is not a FA) an old player like Ryder, but exit Bruce.

Ryder is not that flash as a key forward. He is only ok when resting or pushing forward as a No 1 Ruck. Given Marshall fantastic year, and being a player who clearly thrives on playing No1, I really do not get why people are advocating bring players like Ryder or Goldie in who have limited shelf life and who will only hamper Marshall's development and motivation.

Bruce has just turned 27 as as a CHF that means he is now entering his best years. Has had excellent year despite having virtually no one in the team that can pass the ball well to him.

The other point is if you trade out Bruce who does all the pack smashing is that Max King is going to cop a bashing with out him in the team.

Keep Bruce who will do all the tough stuff and Max can just play second fiddle and start his career by leading and taking marks leaping in over the top.
Well said.

Bruce and Membrey 80 goals between them is a pretty strong return and if Bruce actually played for a team that receives forward 50 frees he might have kicked 20 more

To me Bruce is heart and soul of the Saints and if we were to have a new captain.... look no further

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Drew21
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 1:57pm Wow you want to trade in (he is not a FA) an old player like Ryder, but exit Bruce.

I agree but we need back up ruckman if marshal goes down then we are in trouble and Ryder is only one gettable capable of playing senior footy
Also agree I love Bruce but If some one offered a 1st rounder for him you would have to seriously consider it

Drew21
Club Player

I agree but we need back up ruckman if marshal goes down then we are in trouble and Ryder is only one gettable capable of playing senior footy
Also agree I love Bruce but If some one offered a 1st rounder for him you would have to seriously consider it

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Trade targets (realistic)

Brad Hill
Zac Jones

Trade out

Jack Steven to Geelong (if all the talk is correct)
Blake Acres to Fremantle (apparently both WA teams are interested)

Jack Newnes (swap of pick)

Delist

Longer
Pierce
Armitage
Rice

That's 7 out and 2 in,

spert
Saintsational Legend

Too many players on the list are treading water and not going that little bit extra. Some will benefit from a new coach and the preseason that goes with it, and others will still just muddle along. Hopefully we get Hill, but the midfield is below par.
After what Ratts said about ball butchers, maybe there might be a lot more action on the trade/ delist table than we think.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Drew21 wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 3:52pm
Ryder will not join us to mainly play at Sandi and to occasionally play in the firsts when Marshall is injured.

H will want to be in the firsts and that to me then makes us cumbersome.

I would rather focus our limited picks and players that we can trade to get what we really need.

There will be suitable back up rucks in the sate Leagues Someone grateful for shot and who will be happy to play at Sandy knowing that he can have a crack at more.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 4:44pm
After what Ratts said about ball butchers, maybe there might be a lot more action on the trade/ delist table than we think.
Hopefully, BUT the club has flagged this as a need for over a decade now but when the trade and draft period comes up they always seem to land the guys with poor disposals skills and we get told they the club was surprised that INSERT NAME was still there at our pick.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 26 Aug 2019 6:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

derby Street
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 4:49pm
Hopefully, BUT the club has flagged this as a need for over a decade now but when the trade and draft period comes up they always seem to land the guys with poor disposals skills and we get told they club was surprised that INSERT NAME was still their at our pick.
Every club says the same thing. I agree in many cases we seem to get players with poor kicking skills or indeed injury concerns. Some of those Lee, Saad, Millera, ……. (fill in the spots) were terrible as well.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

derby Street wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 5:12pm
Hopefully, BUT the club has flagged this as a need for over a decade now but when the trade and draft period comes up they always seem to land the guys with poor disposals skills and we get told they club was surprised that INSERT NAME was still their at our pick.
Every club says the same thing. I agree in many cases we seem to get players with poor kicking skills or indeed injury concerns. Some of those Lee, Saad, Millera, ……. (fill in the spots) were terrible as well.
Beau Wilkes...... remember that spud

derby Street
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 5:22pm
derby Street wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 5:12pm
Beau Wilkes...... remember that spud
Didn't he change names as well - that didn't even help.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If we recruit Ryder

I will wait patiently for the Tassie Devils to enter the AFL

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Beau Wilkes/Maister....spud? That's a bit disrespectful