Parker and Kent...2020- ??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Parker and Kent...2020- ??

Do you think they have a future with us? ....I mean as serious regular senior players?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Parker and Kent...2020- ??

Yes

Saint supporter since '62
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Kent - nope. Parker - perhaps.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kent rolled out with us exactly what he produced at the Dees. Inconsistent, some good games, but mainly so so games and got injured again.

He will be 26 when the H&A starts in 2020. Most likely with us will remain a fringe player.

Parker. Too early to say. Great pace and leap and I lobve hhis mean-streak. Footskills not as good though. Plays like a highlights package, though does apply constant pressure and tackling. His general field play and decision making are very lacking. However has played very little football at senior clubs as he came out of no where late, and this gives good hope that he should improve a lot yet, though he may remain a guy that drifts in and out of games.. He will be 24 when the the 2020 season starts. If Freo wanted him as part of the price of gaining Hill you would have to consider it as we do have Long, Lonie, Kent and Gresham (though he may be more a mid that rests forward now). Young looks a long way off.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Kent - not nearly as good as he was purported to be. Others are much better.

Parker - I like the potential upside that he shows - pace, flare etc., but needs to deliver more than he has to date. A good mentor/coach is what he needs to turn the potential into effectiveness. Worth pursuing, as this type of latent talent is hard to find.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Give them both a chance with a new coach. Not sure who it will be but richo didn't get much out of them. IE they didn't improve over the year. Kent us handy but can go missing and parker, like long, is a tackling machine. He won't get the goals but he will cause turnovers in thier fifty so others can have the snaps.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 2:35pm Give them both a chance with a new coach. Not sure who it will be but richo didn't get much out of them. IE they didn't improve over the year. Kent us handy but can go missing and parker, like long, is a tackling machine. He won't get the goals but he will cause turnovers in thier fifty so others can have the snaps.
I agree. Parker, in particular, has the X factor. My kids love going to watch him play. We need all the help we can get to make some of our supporters actually turn up to matches.

Always loyal
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I think they both have a big future, but Kent in particular needs to drop bulk (weight) to improve his aerobic running.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Kent is a very ordinary player who throughout his career has played one good game out of every eight appearances. He lacks the fundamental skills of the game to ever become a consistently good player. Terrible trade and mind boggling to give him a lucrative three year contract.

Parker is a much tougher player to make a call on. He is a good size, has good speed and athleticism and I like his mongrel. However he also has some trouble consistently executing simple skills. He has far more upside than Kent and could well become a very good player. I do however wonder if his long term future is in Victoria. With a young child and his support network being in WA I wouldn't be surprised if he went back home if he got to the level where a WA club would want him.

We really do have an issue with our small forwards. Long shows fantastic glimpses but goes missing far too much and gives away dumb free kicks, while Lonie is physically limited and is terribly unreliable in front of goal. Hind is looking good, but the best small forwards on our list are Gresham and Billings who are needed in the midfield.

I think Jack Martin would be great for us. Get him and keep trying to scour the state leagues for the next Milne/Betts and our fortunes will turn around.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Notice that since K*nt has been injured Skunk has played a whole lot better??

Whoever goes, I’m looking forward to another big clean out similar in size to last year. Exciting times!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 3:01pm Kent is a very ordinary player who throughout his career has played one good game out of every eight appearances. He lacks the fundamental skills of the game to ever become a consistently good player. Terrible trade and mind boggling to give him a lucrative three year contract.

Parker is a much tougher player to make a call on. He is a good size, has good speed and athleticism and I like his mongrel. However he also has some trouble consistently executing simple skills. He has far more upside than Kent and could well become a very good player. I do however wonder if his long term future is in Victoria. With a young child and his support network being in WA I wouldn't be surprised if he went back home if he got to the level where a WA club would want him.

We really do have an issue with our small forwards. Long shows fantastic glimpses but goes missing far too much and gives away dumb free kicks, while Lonie is physically limited and is terribly unreliable in front of goal. Hind is looking good, but the best small forwards on our list are Gresham and Billings who are needed in the midfield.

I think Jack Martin would be great for us. Get him and keep trying to scour the state leagues for the next Milne/Betts and our fortunes will turn around.
Spot on with Kent, fringe player at a bottom club for the majority of his career and will always be a fringe player.

I don't think the trade was terrible as we essentially gave up SFA for him (pick in the 60's), my issue has always been the tenure.

3 years for a fringe player from a weak club for the most part of his career and if he is in our best 22 in 2021 we will be a bottom 4 team. Back up at best

Parker has upside, lets see if he can embrace another pre-season and go to another level.
has the potential to work with as he has some athletic gifts and plenty of grunt.
Can he contribute on a consistent basis?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Parker worries me as he willed himself out of a bad attitude, by his own admission, and while that's great how long does it last?

I feared he'd be a flash in the pan and so far that's been about the sum of it.

Will take a very shrewd coach to get him performing consistently.

Kent is Brent Guerra without the skill.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Kent is interesting, he looks too heavy, even fat. However, in his game data, he clocks the highest running speed (around 34.5) of any player. So he must have some power.

He is supposed to be a good left foot kick, he is anything but, but his leg is pretty powerful.

Not sure who I’d pick between him and Lonie... would only play one

I would also only play one out of Long and Parker

Then I’d play Hind

resaintlee
Club Player

The security of being a regular player may help Parker develop his game
Plays a role where anything might happen, has certainly been up and down, week by week, quarter by quarter

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I remember when we got Kent someone here touted him as the outside mid we’d been crying out for. Built him up like he was Superman.

Pretty laughable stuff. Certainly take all of Hind, Long, Parker and Lonie ahead of him

supersaints2
Club Player

Parker has more potential... consistency is what May cost him a place
Kent looks like he always has... not quite there

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
Cordz2
Club Player

I think Parker seems a little immature for the AFL. Judging by his interviews and reactions after doing something well, he seems like someone who can’t believe he’s there and is not accepting that he’s there because he’s good enough. This comes across in his bravado. My name by the way is Freud so you know I’m right in my armchair evaluation.
Kent is never going to give more than he already has IMO.

So I’d sit on Parker and get him a good sports Psych. And Kent - we’re probably stuck with. But trade as steak knives any chance we get.

saintkid
Club Player

supersaints2 wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 9:55pm Parker has more potential... consistency is what May cost him a place
Agree. Kent is a list clogger. He's slow with limited skills and there's not much upside to him. Dumb decision to recruit him as he is not the type of player required to take us to another finals campaign.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I saw Marsh do a few nice things to suggest he has some talent (contested marks, look away hand balls, tap ons etc). He also has the right attitude and work ethic to make it from what I know and from what I have seen. I think he will be good after a full pre season. Same as Wilke.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 1:18pm Do you think they have a future with us? ....I mean as serious regular senior players?
Parker yes

Kent no

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 10:13pm
supersaints2 wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 9:55pm Parker has more potential... consistency is what May cost him a place
Agree. Kent is a list clogger. He's slow with limited skills and there's not much upside to him. Dumb decision to recruit him as he is not the type of player required to take us to another finals campaign.
Slow? Don't think so.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Kent is the definition of a downhill skier - he is fantastic in matches against poor opposition, where he can exploit their lack of defensive prowess. Put him under any pressure, however, and he can't think his way through a game that requires two-way running.

I really wanted him to succeed but it's clear he won't, unless he learns to become a defensive forward when things aren't going his way. It's annoying that we gave Kent three years when he was no more than a two-year option. That was a silly move from Lethlean; over-eager to impose himself on list management.

Parker has talent - freakish talent - but he'll need to do an enormous amount of growth as a professional footballer to take the rough edges off his game. He has the desire to get himself right...but he still plays the game like it's an amateur affair and he can get away with stupid decisions.

He's not a polished player and you pretty much have to be to play the role he occupies.
mad saint guy wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 3:01pm We really do have an issue with our small forwards. Long shows fantastic glimpses but goes missing far too much and gives away dumb free kicks, while Lonie is physically limited and is terribly unreliable in front of goal. Hind is looking good, but the best small forwards on our list are Gresham and Billings who are needed in the midfield.

Good points. In an ideal world, we would have a good enough midfield to release Gresham or Billings into a forward role, being a Paul Chapman-type - picking up 25 touches and kicking 2-3 goals and setting up just as many.

We really need Hannebery to come good for this reason, and I hope we're privately making an enormous play for Coniglio. I'd also be looking at Charlie Constable for Jack Steven.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Currently depth players but given a good preseason should be in the mix.

saintkid
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 22 Aug 2019 11:21am
saintkid wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 10:13pm
Slow? Don't think so.
Below his knees Kent is both slow and clumsy. He's a very ordinary, one-trick pony footballer.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely. Both proved to be pretty good pick ups. Shame Kent’s season got cut short by injury. I think he would have shown more of being worth his salt after Ratts took over.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!