Undisciplined errors cost us

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Undisciplined errors cost us

While the umpiring was terrible last night and the double 50 has gone the way of the drop kick, that said the undisciplined acts cost us last night:

- Ross late hit on kicker early in 3rd term coming out of defence. Battle marked but free kick down field. Instead of another entry and having them on back foot( we had kicked 2 in a row) went other way and they goaled.
- Same qtr, mcKenzie in 1 on 1 marking contest as 50 instead of bringing ball to ground shoves player out of ay in front of ump, Turnover. Wasnt like he was against a big it was a like for like size contest
- Last qtr Long 50 metre penalty. Shocking kick by Marshall, Long instead of holding up the mark sticks hand in and ball dislodged - auto 50
- Hind 3rd qtr i think gives away 50 for being way to aggressive on the mark.

Adelaide were the better side with better skills but i feel we were right there but every-time we challenged in the second half we shot ourselves in the foot. Adelaide oldest list in AFL are on the slide and coming off hell week but could have won.

Also need to do something about starting qtrs - for 3 weeks now we have given up first goal(s) of the game and often first of the qtr also.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Undisciplined errors cost us

Raised very valid points here.
We can whinge about umps (and I do all the time)
but the points you raised are the things we CAN work on and are in OUR control.
Pivotal moments and a 50 and goal can be worth 2 goals to them, if we had a chance to goal ourselves.
A real chance to win in SA gone begging, partly because of poor judgement.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Long is a serial offender. Send him back to Sandy until he learns to control his hot headed impulses.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:13pm Long is a serial offender. Send him back to Sandy until he learns to control his hot headed impulses.
I'm torn. Love his mongrel when it pays off. Then he oversteps the mark (as it were) and we're back to square one.

The_President
Club Player

freely wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:17pm
saynta wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:13pm Long is a serial offender. Send him back to Sandy until he learns to control his hot headed impulses.
I'm torn. Love his mongrel when it pays off. Then he oversteps the mark (as it were) and we're back to square one.
Can’t all be choir boys. I love him.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

The_President wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:40pm
Long was involved in all 3 first quarter goals, I am starting to warm to him. What will he "learn" at Sandringham, Saynta, other than not to play with his natural flair? Cut his shackles and let him show more.

Saint supporter since '62
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

True, older (and wiser?) sainter; however I reckon we just need to get smarter more sophisticated at it. Crows are a bunch of snipers, often they held off not going for the contested ball so they could lay the tackle - umps did not protect our guys playing the ball or conversely give us HTB frees when the Crows immediately adopted the falling foetal position with ball grasp after trying to break tackles. I am sure we are moving to the hurt/frustrate the opposition mode to apply mental and physical pressure but haven't mastered the gamesmanship part of it yet. Ratts would have brought that over from the Hawks playbook.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 5:26pm
The_President wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:40pm
Long was involved in all 3 first quarter goals, I am starting to warm to him. What will he "learn" at Sandringham, Saynta, other than not to play with his natural flair? Cut his shackles and let him show more.
Maybe, but nothing after that. Played a very poor game. 2 kicks 2 handballs, a goal and gave away a 50 metre penalty. He was last in the points score. Our poorest player unfortunately.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Can't afford Long and Parker in the same side.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 8:43pm Can't afford Long and Parker in the same side.
That’s my feeling too. Especially given thy seem to fly for marks together and end up spoiling Bruce (&/or each other)

Go you red, black & white warriors