Jake Carlisle....good player...but...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jake Carlisle....good player...but...

Jake Carlisle...important player...but...too easily frustrated and sucked in.

Loved the way BR handled him. Straight off & on the phone. Then a beeline to him at 3/4 time to double down on the chat, reassure & refocus.

Very important to our structure moving into and past 2020.

HighettMan
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 3:34pm
HighettMan wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 2:43pm Is it coincidence that we started playing better when we added an A grader to the team. We've missed him big time.

Love that he brings a bit of swagger, it clearly rubs off on his teammates
We lost the first four games when he came back.

Maybe it’s Langlands.
He didn't have pre season so I'll give him 4 weeks to get going, starting with the Geelong game.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 4:11pm Jake Carlisle...important player...but...too easily frustrated and sucked in.

Loved the way BR handled him. Straight off & on the phone. Then a beeline to him at 3/4 time to double down on the chat, reassure & refocus.

Very important to our structure moving into and past 2020.
Good post Ghosty.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The interesting thing about Jake last night and possibly BR missed something was Melbourne's use of Lewis. Hopefully someone knows the answer.

Lewis used as a defensive forward, why wouldn't Jake pick someone else up and another Saint defender roll on to Lewis? I thought defenders dictate their opponent?

Just struck me Jake seemed at sea with it all. Whether he took it too easy and misjudged the experience and nous of Lewis.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 7:16pm The interesting thing about Jake last night and possibly BR missed something was Melbourne's use of Lewis. Hopefully someone knows the answer.

Lewis used as a defensive forward, why wouldn't Jake pick someone else up and another Saint defender roll on to Lewis? I thought defenders dictate their opponent?

Just struck me Jake seemed at sea with it all. Whether he took it too easy and misjudged the experience and nous of Lewis.
I wondered that myself... thought it wasn't a good match up for him as Lewis might have a bit too much run. Who else could have played on him?

To the top
SS Life Member

As I have mentioned before, THE most important player to our structure

He also brings leadership to our young defensive unit which includes Paton, Coffield and Clark (acknowledging Wilkie’s SANFL experience) and was dictating who went to who - so leaving himself where he was left and perhaps to negate the experience advantage with the Melbourne player

The Melbourne players were paying attention to him - an after goal altercation involving Carlisle seeing Marshall with a free kick from the next Centre bounce

One question is given free kicks for after goal altercations why weren’t St Kilda given a free kick in the goal square as Melbourne were?

Marshall got his free from the centre

Anyway, Carlisle again played well noting the absence of a pre-season and having only played the last month having missed at least half the actual season

Will only get better

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 7:39pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 7:16pm The interesting thing about Jake last night and possibly BR missed something was Melbourne's use of Lewis. Hopefully someone knows the answer.

I wondered that myself... thought it wasn't a good match up for him as Lewis might have a bit too much run. Who else could have played on him?
I don't know but as Lewis was given that specific job I'm not sure that matters as Jake with two forwards plus whoever from St Kilda. The goal for any forward line is to create separation and have one on ones.

I guess I don't know why that played out so effectively for Melbourne and to Jake's detriment.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Interesting. They put a tag on one of our defenders. I guess that’s why Ratts moved him forward for a stretch. Try to shake the tag.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 9:21am
Moods wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 8:46am This myth that he's some type of hard man who's a bit loose is getting a bit hard to stomache.

He's very good, but he could be so much better.
In what sense?

He could be just a generally better player? Or that he needs to be harder?
Definitely needs to be harder. Which would make him a far better footballer. He has enormous ability but he very much picks and chooses. He's certainly not unconditional in his attack on the footy. This myth that's perpetuated that he's some sort of hard man is laughable. Bit like how many used to bang on about Gehrig as being tough. Both LOOK tough and like to snarl, but both were/are pretty soft footballers. Both incredibly gifted players and both were/are extremely important to our team.

Jake to me, does enough and that's about it. How many times since his arrival at the saints has he taken a game by the scruff of the neck? How many times have we thought, 'Carlisle dominated today?' He's 6'7 with great hands. But he's lazy and he doesn't crash packs. Ever. Exactly like big Frase used to be. I accept him but I find him incredibly frustrating to watch. For some reason I accepted the flaws of the carpet snake more. Throwing a cheap shot that barely connects doesn't make him loose or crazy or scary. Just makes him dumb

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 7:55pm
One question is given free kicks for after goal altercations why weren’t St Kilda given a free kick in the goal square as Melbourne were?
Because a free kick given in that instance is at the place of the free, or the centre, whichever is the more advantageous. Seeing as it was Brown who was thrown to the ground, the free would either be in our backline or the centre. If it was Membrey being thrown to the ground, it would have been in the goal square.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Incredibly accurate Moods

And good analogy with Frase

Fraser kicked bags of goals which we appreciated, therefore excused his lack of physicality

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

OK, I'm on leave, two weeks off & sadly no flight to Phuket so I've the opportunity to watch a replay of the game.

First up, no denying Jake got sucked in especially by Harrison Petty of all people.

But two elements of defence for why the free kick should not have been paid.

1) Petty shaped up and began to throw a right. No knowing he was going to pull the punch. Fast hands by Carlisle brushed him across his left shoulder.

2) Did not touch his throat, a Melbourne player had blocked the umpires view. Petty realised this and grabbed his throat when the umpire came into view.

The free paid was a guess, should never be done, especially a free that results in a bonus goal. BUT back to my opening line, Jake should be better than that, just dumb and BR likely reinforced that sentiment.

EDITED: Thought McDonald, should never trust channel 7 commentators. Lesson learnt.

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2019 11:51pm
B.M wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2019 11:09pm Carlisle is overrated
I think he's underrated.

And I also think his return this year after back surgery has been incredible.

Back surgery FFS!!! He's probably going at about 60% fitness.
The guy is a genuine A grader - something that's a little thin on the ground at the Saints.
He can have a fuse, but it's infrequently lit.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think he’s got the talent of an A Grader

The output is far from

Like Acres, B White and a few others he is mysteriously overrated... not to say he’s hopeless, he can play... he’s just not as good as Saints fans make him out to be.

Big call, but at times he can be a liability defensively with his lack of effort. I think he is very lazy and a bit soft.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 30 Jul 2019 8:42pm I think he’s got the talent of an A Grader

The output is far from

Like Acres, B White and a few others he is mysteriously overrated... not to say he’s hopeless, he can play... he’s just not as good as Saints fans make him out to be.

Big call, but at times he can be a liability defensively with his lack of effort. I think he is very lazy and a bit soft.
To be fair though....

He's played at CHB in a team that gets slaughtered in the midfield every week. Makes it hard.

And, he's been injured for the past 2 years.

I don't think what we're seeing now, or have seen for the past 18 months is really a true indication of his abilities.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

...not good tonight in SA. He needs a big pre season and to get super fit for 2020. Maybe try slim down a bit too.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Special
Club Player

Looked a bit too disinterested today.

Too hot and cold and not enough middle ground

BarryGrogan
Club Player

I think he's simply playing like a guy that recovered from back surgery about a month ago.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Poor efforts today. Just let Tex run around.

Nee!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d get rid of him

Poor attitude, and doesn’t commit to the cause

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

some heat of the moment stuff coming out now...he is a keeper and I think you guys know that.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 03 Aug 2019 11:45pm I’d get rid of him

Poor attitude, and doesn’t commit to the cause
What would he even be worth?

Interesting. I have a different take on players like this...
If we can’t turn a guy like Carlisle around surely it’s time to shut up shop. Trade a guy that should be an A-Grade player, that has the talent to be an A-Grade and trade him for what?

Pbly a pick to get someone that might have the talent to be an A-Grade player

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Whilst I still believe a fit, switched on Carlisle is a key to our future, the bloke wearing #2 tonight ain't him.

The_President
Club Player

Isn’t a keeper. Playing like he did in his final season with the Dons.

To the right club in need of bigs - Bulldogs for example. He is worth at least a first.
Last edited by The_President on Sun 04 Aug 2019 12:07am, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If we had other players in form Carlisle would be playing at Sandringham to get a reminder that effort is required.