Assistant Coaches out there

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Assistant Coaches out there

Our shopping list will obviously start with current successful senior coaches

Managers of Clarkson, Beveridge, Lyon, Hinkley will be approached. But in reality we will be knocked back by all of them.

Brad Scott is the firm favourite, but Carlton May have first dibs on him.

Who are the high profile assistants after that? I went clubs websites and had a look

Caracella, Leppitsch, Kingsley, McCrae
Camporeale
Barker, Teague
Harvey, Hocking, Sanderson
Mark Harvey
Knights, Scarlett, Lappin, Enright
Scott Burns
Tudor, Crocker, Brown, Shaw
McCartney, Rawlings
Voss, Bassett, Schofield
Solomon, Francou Prescott
Kirk, Cox, Johnson, Kenelley
Ratten Lade, Playfair
King, Hanson, Corey

Are well known/credentialed coaches

Our next coach will come from that list, and you can rule half a dozen out straight away

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Assistant Coaches out there

Forgot GWS

Matthew Nicks, Lenny Hayes

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Caracella is the best credentialed when you factor in his experience at various & well run organisations & success he has had at them.

He has played in a premiership & been an assistant coach in two premierships at two different clubs. He is Neal Balmes ‘go-to-man’, having worked together at the Cats for 5 years & now Richmond for 3 years.

He was seen as the architect for Richmond’s rise from bottom 6 (or thereabouts) to a flag within 1 season.

I’m not sure if he wants it, but he’s the guy we should be chasing.

Legendary
Club Player

Agree that Caracella is surely a front runner - has had terrific success at the Cats and the Tigers. Was coached by Sheedy, Matthews and Malthouse and worked with Thompson, C. Scott and Hardwick. Pretty good credentials.

Brett Kirk is an interesting one for mine. Has worked with Longmire and Lyon. Different character but a standout leader and great relationships guy. Could be the Malcolm Blight of this generation - quirky but effective.

Leigh Tudor has been around a long time and had great success at the Cats, Sydney and St Kilda. Was touted consistently has a future coach in waiting but that seems to have dropped off - perhaps he doesn't present well?

Rob Harvey would double membership overnight - one idea is to appoint him as "head coach" with Ratten (or similar) as "manager" in the EPL-style. Ratten does the media, has overall accountability, Harvey does the coaching with other assistants working for him.

Plenty to think about.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes, Caracella would be a worthy candidate. Well credentialed.

Are we going to take the risk with an untried? I think we should, with experience around them.

Roos Sydney 05
Worsfold WCE 06
Thompson 07/09
Clarkson 08/13/14/15
C.Scott 11
Longmire 12
Beveridge 16
Hardwick 17
Simpson 18

ALL Untried coaches when appointed to their clubs

Some went through tough periods Hardwick, Thompson, Clarkson before success. Others had success very quickly C.Scott, Beveridge, the others after a few years

ONLY Malthouse since 2004 was an experienced senior coach when he started coaching the club he won a flag at..and it took him 10 years and two GF losses before he got one.

Legendary
Club Player

Interesting - we should look for Kirk, Harvey, Caracella type instead of anyone experienced.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2019 4:24pm Caracella is the best credentialed when you factor in his experience at various & well run organisations & success he has had at them.

He has played in a premiership & been an assistant coach in two premierships at two different clubs. He is Neal Balmes ‘go-to-man’, having worked together at the Cats for 5 years & now Richmond for 3 years.

He was seen as the architect for Richmond’s rise from bottom 6 (or thereabouts) to a flag within 1 season.

I’m not sure if he wants it, but he’s the guy we should be chasing.
I would certainly like the Saints to give him serious consideration.

However I fear that they may waste their efforts in trying to shake Bevo or Clarko loose and then rush into appointing Scott when they fail.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Is Sean Burgoyne going to retire at the end of this year?

If we're offering Roughy a role, why don't why go for Burgoyne as well. I just watched a replay of Marngrook on NITV and I just love hearing Sean talk about the game of footy. Can you imaging what an asset he would be with his knowledge and experience in playing multiple positions on the ground?

While I'm on the subject of coaches, Scott Burns is hungry for an opportunity and could surprise the media outlets with a senior job in 2020

I'm a fan of assistants coming to us out of Hawthorn FC
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 12 Jul 2019 2:29am, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Brendon Bolton was a Hawthorn assistant

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2019 2:29am Brendon Bolton was a Hawthorn assistant
How many games of AFL did he play and how many positions on the field? Remind me

I get your point though

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Shaun Burgoyne is playing on at 37yo

Recruited to Hawthorn at 29 with a history of Soft Tissue injuries

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The same amount of games at Chris Fagan and he played the same position.

Both champion footballers in Tas

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We all know that 1 in every three AFL senior coaches at the start of 2019 had come from the Hawthorn academy

The last 3 consecutive flags have been won by teams whose coaches had worked under Al Clarkson with Clarko himself winning the 3 in a row before that

I have a real appetite to listen when Chris Fagan speaks. When he made a fool of himself and tore a hammy at Freeze MND I was interested to here that he got his break in the AFL under Niel Daniher.

I googled his career and realised he had some very senior posistions at both Melbourne and Hawthorn and he was more than just an assistant to Clarko in those premiership years. I also didn't realise he was an assistant coach and part of footy management and footy development in the AFL for 17 years before he secured the job at Brisbane

Maybe Juddy has a point when he talks about experience. Is Mark Williams still wanting to coach AFL?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Mark Williams is a f***ing fruit loop!

If anyone was at Sandy when they played Werribee would know this, as he put on a show!

Almost embarrassed himself. Him and Eade are the last of the old school coaches that go berserk! He carried on like a pork chop for the entire game, talk about a nutter.

I was standing next to Eric Bana, and we were pissing ourselves laughing for 120 mins.

Even his quarter time spray was quite funny imo. He is define throwback as a coach.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2019 2:25am
Getting assistants does not get the messiah. We tried that with recruiting, when we poached the Cat's assistant recruiting.

What matters is how good the person is and not his boss.

Clarko's first coaching gig was at the Saints. So arguably the Hawks two greatest coaches started their coaching at the Saints ;)

More seriously a stint under Clarko would be a good thing, but we do not need a raft of assistants who have only played under Clarko. Remember too that Roughie is possibly already headed our way, Ratten is here as is Dermie on a part-time basis. I doubt you will gain any more Hawk IP than what is in in-train by hiring more.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2019 9:52am Mark Williams is a f***ing fruit loop!

If anyone was at Sandy when they played Werribee would know this, as he put on a show!

Almost embarrassed himself. Him and Eade are the last of the old school coaches that go berserk! He carried on like a pork chop for the entire game, talk about a nutter.

I was standing next to Eric Bana, and we were pissing ourselves laughing for 120 mins.

Even his quarter time spray was quite funny imo. He is define throwback as a coach.
Fair enough. Thanks for the info

:D Namedropper

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2019 10:33am
Scollop wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2019 2:25am
Getting assistants does not get the messiah. We tried that with recruiting, when we poached the Cat's assistant recruiting.

What matters is how good the person is and not his boss.

Clarko's first coaching gig was at the Saints. So arguably the Hawks two greatest coaches started their coaching at the Saints ;)

More seriously a stint under Clarko would be a good thing, but we do not need a raft of assistants who have only played under Clarko. Remember too that Roughie is possibly already headed our way, Ratten is here as is Dermie on a part-time basis. I doubt you will gain any more Hawk IP than what is in in-train by hiring more.
I agree. It's not about the institution, it's more about the quality of the people you employ and whether they have the skillset and intellect to perform a management and development role. Burgoyne and Roughy are quality people and have already proven themselves as great leaders.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

You know Eca? Here's an old picture of me and Eca, say goodáye to him for me next time you two go to the footy together 8-)

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Harves Man
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2019 6:22pm

You know Eca? Here's an old picture of me and Eca, say goodáye to him for me next time you two go to the footy together 8-)

Nice picture, Horse! :lol:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2019 2:31am I think Shaun Burgoyne is playing on at 37yo

Recruited to Hawthorn at 29 with a history of Soft Tissue injuries
That is a totally inaccurate and misleading statement.

Burgoyne arrived at Hawthorn with a knee injury which was an impact injury sustained in 2009.

He had averaged 20 games a year or there about for the previous 5 seasons (prior to 09) joined Hawthorn for 2010 and after getting over the knee injury played 16 games in 2010 & went on to consistently average high games per season.

There was no previous history or soft tissue injury and a supporting argument of Burgoyne at 28 joining Hawthorn and Hanneberry joining St Kilda with similar injury history is disingenuous.

Burgoyne played 16 games in his first season at Hawthorn after recovering from the knee then followed games per season;
2011 - 24
2012 - 25
2013 - 23
2014 - 26
2015 - 25
2016 - 24
2017 - 22

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Burgoyne's muscles aren't wasting away

Back on the subject of assistants. Juddy had to backtrack bigtime after saying he didn't want a coach on training wheels. David Teague is on fire. I remember talk of him going for the Saints job back before Lyon was appointed or was it just after that...anyhow, good luck to David on the Carlton job. Looks like Rhyce may also have secured the North position