Sinclair and Acres the drifters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sinclair and Acres the drifters

If your talking about Acres Fireman, you’d be correct

Sinclair was a far better player in 2017 when he was our only elite ranked player.

Stuck forward since then, hasn’t had the same impact

Ape_Man
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:I'd think Acres and Sinlcair, along with Billings and Clark, would be prime candidates to see a big improvement with a new coach. Richo seems determined to get sacked playing Dunstan, Ross and Steele in the middle for most of the game. Sinclair attended 10 centre bounces on the weekend and had the same number of centre clearances as that trio combined. He's better with the ball than any of those three are and I think he's better defensively than what I've seen a lot of people suggest. I'd like to see him get more opportunity, not less.

I apologise if I sound like a broken record here, but, to me, the most baffling thing about Richo's time here is how little he has experimented with a team that has had few elite players and little to no chance of playing finals. I can't believe he's worked himself around to giving Luke Dunstan regular midfield minutes again. We're missing Steven, but North were missing Higgins. Instead of just throwing the same old players into the middle that Brad Scott had ridden to perennial mediocrity, Shaw has put Jy Simpkin in there and he was the game's leading possession and clearance winner on the weekend. They're 4 points and percentage out of the eight now and we're bottom four.

Maybe Acres and Sinclair could have run harder from contest to contest. I don't know. It seems like a very odd and specific complaint to single out those two on a team so bland with so many problems.
Great write up VS,

Acres and Sinclair are players that try to look for the best option, not just the first.

How Richo hasn’t nurtured that talent baffles me.

He seems to love the ‘turn and kick to position’ type players. Like Ross and Newnes.

Players with any kind of precision baffles Richo.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Ape_Man wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2019 1:28am
vacuous space wrote:I'd think Acres and Sinlcair, along with Billings and Clark, would be prime candidates to see a big improvement with a new coach. Richo seems determined to get sacked playing Dunstan, Ross and Steele in the middle for most of the game. Sinclair attended 10 centre bounces on the weekend and had the same number of centre clearances as that trio combined. He's better with the ball than any of those three are and I think he's better defensively than what I've seen a lot of people suggest. I'd like to see him get more opportunity, not less.

I apologise if I sound like a broken record here, but, to me, the most baffling thing about Richo's time here is how little he has experimented with a team that has had few elite players and little to no chance of playing finals. I can't believe he's worked himself around to giving Luke Dunstan regular midfield minutes again. We're missing Steven, but North were missing Higgins. Instead of just throwing the same old players into the middle that Brad Scott had ridden to perennial mediocrity, Shaw has put Jy Simpkin in there and he was the game's leading possession and clearance winner on the weekend. They're 4 points and percentage out of the eight now and we're bottom four.

Maybe Acres and Sinclair could have run harder from contest to contest. I don't know. It seems like a very odd and specific complaint to single out those two on a team so bland with so many problems.
Great write up VS,

Acres and Sinclair are players that try to look for the best option, not just the first.

He seems to love the ‘turn and kick to position’ type players. Like Ross and Newnes.

Are you saying that Acres is a player with precision?

Surely not.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

There’s been a handful of players that Cho continues to pick that imo regularly under perform. He must see something in them that I don’t. Either their roles are unique or the KPIs that they require to hit are something that the average footy watcher doesn’t pick up on.

So based on this Acres and Sinclair may be doing what they’re supposed to be doing. We just don’t know what their job description is. I’m regularly baffled by selection, and the players decision making, but they keep getting picked, so they must be doing something right as far as Cho is concerned.

Ape_Man
Club Player

Spinner wrote:

Great write up VS,

Surely not.
I am.

I think by foot he is one of our best. It doesn’t necessarily mean much in the current, but that is my opinion.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

They play like they don’t really care about the outcome.... same as Newnes, Just professional footballers chasing a kick for cash... that’s what I see when I observe their mediocre efforts week in, week out. Harsh but, I’ve watched them play for years now and I still have massive question marks over all of them.

A 16 year old Robert Harvey could be better trusted to always bring effort on the weekend than these guys.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Ape_Man wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2019 9:17am
Spinner wrote:

Great write up VS,

Surely not.
I am.

I think by foot he is one of our best. It doesn’t necessarily mean much in the current, but that is my opinion.

Blake Acres?

You’ve got to be kidding...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think everyone is avoiding the elephant in the room.

Blake Acres is one seriously LAZY footballer.

He is probably one of the more gifted players on the list ability wise and has a body shape and size that should be having him compared to Nathan Fyfe. We have only seen glimpses of his talent. He should be a line breaker.

Lack of urgency, will and perhaps determination along with being coached horrendously is seeing his career evaporate in front of our eyes. He is running out of time to actually demand a position.

Desperately needs a new coach in my opinion. But a lot of it comes down to him being able to demand a mid spot if he can.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Comparing Acres to Fyfe is like comparing Siposs to BJ

A couple of similar attributes

But nowhere near the competitive drive or overall ability

The simple fact that Blake was referred to as GOAT shows you how overrated he is by supporters. He averages 16ppg, 0.8 goalsas a HF, Christian Petracca averages 18ppg, 1.1 goals as an under performing HF.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2019 11:56am Comparing Acres to Fyfe is like comparing Siposs to BJ

A couple of similar attributes

But nowhere near the competitive drive or overall ability

The simple fact that Blake was referred to as GOAT shows you how overrated he is by supporters. He averages 16ppg, 0.8 goalsas a HF, Christian Petracca averages 18ppg, 1.1 goals as an under performing HF.
Fyfe doesn’t allow himself to just drift completely out of the contest does he.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Firstly, it’s no surprise to some that in 2017 champion data recorded Acres as having the most ‘influence’ out of any of our players in close games (from what I remember it was when the margin was plus or minus 12 points but happy to be corrected).

Secondly, it is no surprise to some that during the first month of the 2018 season Acres was rated St Kilda’s number 1 player by champion data & top 20 in the entire competition. He then had injuries & was totally mismanaged ruining his season.

Some of the clubs better wins over the last three years have come as a result of Acres being played in his best position as a midfielder/winger. The win against the Giants in 2017 comes to memory also a win against the Demons.

What has been clear is that Acres has been thrown around in that many positions & unable to develop & continuity by a head coach & his coaching team that he has not been afforded the opportunity to progress as a player.

Perhaps Acres has become complacent & lazy, like many of our other players, but I don’t blame him having to endure an inept coach & football department. If he had started his career at West Coast he would be considered one of their best players I have little doubt.

I for one cannot wait until players such as Acres have a new coach & voice to listen to because the current one is as stale as old piss.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Fyfe wills himself to impact the contest, as does Dangerfield, Martin, Sloane and all superstars.

Reiwoldt did as a CHF

It’s pretty simple, the more contests to make, the more footy you’ll get

Josh Battle
Club Player

vacuous space wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2019 12:25am I'd think Acres and Sinlcair, along with Billings and Clark, would be prime candidates to see a big improvement with a new coach.
Bravo Ratten

Good call vs. Bravo to you too

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s been one game, is it the first time any of those players have played well?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Josh Battle wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 2:35am
vacuous space wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2019 12:25am I'd think Acres and Sinlcair, along with Billings and Clark, would be prime candidates to see a big improvement with a new coach.
Bravo Ratten

Good call vs. Bravo to you too
While the selected quote may look good, to be fair, my rant was more about usage in the centre. While I haven't seen the actual centre bounce attendance numbers yet, it didn't seem like much was different there. Billings was still playing mostly wing and first choice midfield still seemed to be Dunstan, Ross and Steele. It just worked better. Dunstan was huge with seven clearances. Gresham had six clearances. Dunstan didn't have any direct turnovers and Gresham only had one, which is really important for those two, especially given Gresham led the team in metres gained.

Billings and Clark did really great things on the outside. Acres and Sinclair did a mix of inside and outside. I thought Acres played a good game and Sinclair's was fine but pretty forgettable.

All told, I think that game backed up Richo's selections. Even tactically, I couldn't really see a lot that was massively different, other than Newnes doing a forward tag. As much as I'd love to believe that some switch has been flicked and we're going to be a good team now, I think we just executed in bunch of areas that we had struggled with previously. Now the challenge is to back it up.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Loved Acres game yesterday. Had a few possessions where you could see he is a class above most of our list.

Let’s hope we see more time in the middle and more consistency 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.