A dose of reality

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: A dose of reality

Ok.. so injuries are an excuse for everyone else?

They can afford injuries more than us.

I’d like to meet them full strength vs full strength!
And with some luck, we will.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 11:12am

So those we identify as capable at the level are increasing in numbers.

Great post

This is for mine one of the more important metrics to watch as a developing list. I predict we are 2-3 years away from being a sustainable top 4 side for the reason we are probably still a couple AFL capable players short, as well as getting that critical mass of experience, mature bodies and consistent competitive beasts playing a good chunk of footy together as a group.

What do you think the metric of adding AFL capable players to a list per year is from other clubs that have enjoyed sustained success and premierships in the modern era is?

1 per year, 2 per year, 3 per year?

But we are trending in the right direction. Patience is needed grasshopper.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

We lost to a better team on the day. At one stage we were 10 shots to their 5 and both 30 points each. They took their chances and we didn't. Gws will be another hard game but you never kniw

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we were out coached. And really well at that.

Out backline is rooted, lets face it. Losing Geary is a big deal. To be honest i reckon it was worth quite a few goals. Not just that, but really now we have Savage and Brown.... How many games has Wilkie played?

That first quarter goal kicking was terrible.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Adelaide was the better team on the day, as DJ Higgins said.
But their midfield is better than ours every day of the week (ours was ranked 17th at the start of the year- and with Steven not quite fit, it's probably 18th right now).

We were undermanned and they won the matchups.
The next time we meet, hopefully Bruce, Carlisle, Clavarino or Austin (maybe even Roberton) will be fit and firing.
Wilkie was no match up for big Tex - and their talls took advantage of Bruce's injury and our small backline and forward line.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Crows better on the day, but probably surprised at how little pressure they had on their ball carriers. Our forwards/ midfield need to do better to hold the ball in the forward line, and generally we fell down in basic footy skills and smarts.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 9:48am
Wilkie was no match up for big Tex
That's right, so Playfair screwed up and if I was Richo I would have said to Playfair that Brown needs to be trusted to do the job.

Richo is the head coach who specifically recruited Nate to take on the power forwards like Tex. He loves his type so much he's got a delisted ex Carlton player who might soon join him in the backline. Brown is our most experienced tall back and he matches up with Tex size wise and weight wise too.

Nate should also have taken the initiative as a senior player and told the rest of the boys to stand aside. As the game unfolded it was the obvious move but somehow, it wasn't embraced by any leaders. If the senior coach doesn't overule and make these calls during games, what is he good for?

Nathan Brown was playing VFL when we recruited him and we were told he is the best option rather than developing our own or recruiting a young draftee. Nathan needs to give his team mates some confidence that they can rely on him when needed FFS and not just playing his low intensity, low risk roles when we are dominating games.

King12
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 12:35pm
samoht wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 9:48am
Wilkie was no match up for big Tex
That's right, so Playfair screwed up and if I was Richo I would have said to Playfair that Brown needs to be trusted to do the job.

Richo is the head coach who specifically recruited Nate to take on the power forwards like Tex. He loves his type so much he's got a delisted ex Carlton player who might soon join him in the backline. Brown is our most experienced tall back and he matches up with Tex size wise and weight wise too.

Nate should also have taken the initiative as a senior player and told the rest of the boys to stand aside. As the game unfolded it was the obvious move but somehow, it wasn't embraced by any leaders. If the senior coach doesn't overule and make these calls during games, what is he good for?

Nathan Brown was playing VFL when we recruited him and we were told he is the best option rather than developing our own or recruiting a young draftee. Nathan needs to give his team mates some confidence that they can rely on him when needed FFS and not just playing his low intensity, low risk roles when we are dominating games.
Been here 5 seconds, so newbie, however I think we all know how you feel about Nathan and us recruiting him. We get it, however, I don't think you need to keep going on about it, who else would you play ahead of him atm or who would you have recruited instead?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You are spot on that I was against his recruitment. I was wrong but I am not alone and it became clear that we needed him after Goddard failed to come on. I also am very happy to back him if he stands up and performs the way he did against us (especially the nightmares we have regarding the 2010 Grand Final). Maybe I should be more critical of the way he's coached.

Anyhow, I'm just a fan venting my frustration because no one at St Kilda has bothered to acknowledge that mistakes were made with the way our defenders approached the task of nullifying the Crows leader and their best power forward

If Cho or Playfair came out and took the heat and admitted that they stuffed up, I wouldn't be bothering but where is the accountability?

As for who I would have recruited, that is what people ask of their colleagues when they are experts in the field and they can debate the issue. Are you an expert in the field?

It would be great for fans if this became a place where recruiters workshop their ideas or where assistant coaches and opposition analysts assess players. When is it happening?
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 30 Apr 2019 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

King12
Club Player

So no alternative to Nathan then?

No defender stays on any forward for a whole game these days, that's modern footy.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It was a good recruitment. Not disputing that. At the time there were plenty of people critical because we still had a belief that Hughy Goddard would come on. I changed my tune last year. I saw Nath play some good games and am happy that we have his services. You'll like this next statement: Richo needs to coach him 'stronger'

Forget about the generalisations about modern footy. That is a cop out. If you are a defender, there is usually a forward that you need to be responsible for, and that means for the majority of a game. Was DMac looking after anyone else apart from Eddie?

King12
Club Player

That's your opinion, your entitled to it, hint, when you are developing a 'good team', you ask some to step outside their comfort zone and see what they are or are not capable of. Anyway, agree to disagree, all the best with your 'old school' processes. Cheers

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Round 1 we played Joyce and Battle in the KPD roles. Wright kicked 2 and Burgess (who was on Darragh) kicked 1 goal and only had about 5-6 disposals. Remind me again why Joyce was dropped and how that helps his development?

You remind me of a bloke called Cairnsman. Not using a VPN are you? Stop patronising me or I'll just tell you to GGF'd
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 30 Apr 2019 8:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 7:35pm You are spot on that I was against his recruitment. I was wrong but I am not alone and it became clear that we needed him after Goddard failed to come on. I also am very happy to back him if he stands up and performs the way he did against us (especially the nightmares we have regarding the 2010 Grand Final). Maybe I should be more critical of the way he's coached.

Anyhow, I'm just a fan venting my frustration because no one at St Kilda has bothered to acknowledge that mistakes were made with the way our defenders approached the task of nullifying the Crows leader and their best power forward

If Cho or Playfair came out and took the heat and admitted that they stuffed up, I wouldn't be bothering but where is the accountability?

As for who I would have recruited, that is what people ask of their colleagues when they are experts in the field and they can debate the issue. Are you an expert in the field?

It would be great for fans if this became a place where recruiters workshop their ideas or where assistant coaches and opposition analysts assess players. When is it happening?
Geez man get over yourself. What's the obsession with expecting accountability, you are fan mate, you sound ridiculous carrying on like you are owed something.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hah...picked it

Got off the VPN and back on to your usual nic

"I'm a newbie" LOL

King12
Club Player

Hah?

I'm not him clearly.

Wasn't trying to offend at all.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teddie?

King12
Club Player

No, Max King. :wink:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 8:12pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 7:35pm You are spot on that I was against his recruitment. I was wrong but I am not alone and it became clear that we needed him after Goddard failed to come on. I also am very happy to back him if he stands up and performs the way he did against us (especially the nightmares we have regarding the 2010 Grand Final). Maybe I should be more critical of the way he's coached.

Geez man get over yourself. What's the obsession with expecting accountability, you are fan mate, you sound ridiculous carrying on like you are owed something.
f*** off Cairnsman. The players and coaches are paid big dollars because of us fans. We have every right to vent and if you don't think I am entitled to, just say so without the condescending language

King12
Club Player

GeeWiz, looks like I'm caught in the crossfire here, bye!

Are we allowed to use that sought of language and argue on here?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Probably not, but GeeWiz and BoyOhBoy and WowWee are fine :wink:

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 11:10pm Probably not, but GeeWiz and BoyOhBoy and WowWee are fine :wink:
Golly lads things were swell until we had slip up of potty language.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 10:17pm

f*** off Cairnsman. The players and coaches are paid big dollars because of us fans. We have every right to vent and if you don't think I am entitled to, just say so without the condescending language
Mate you are entitled to carry on like a complete dick as much as you like. It just gets embarrassing to watch at times. How old are you out of curiosity and what amazing profession do you excel at?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 30 Apr 2019 10:17pm

AND another point if I may, it always amazes me how morons freely bully players and coaches and staff members of clubs behind the protection of anonymous social media accounts but the moment you challenge them they get all precious. At least dicks like you have the opportunity to have a crack back where as it's pretty gutless to atttack people that can't.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Try and get someone to proof read your crap and perhaps I can respond if I could bf'd