Josh Bruce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Josh Bruce

Should he have played? Probably not, but hey the medicos cleared him.

When Lonie went down, we were basically playing iwo short.

And speaking of short, overall the team was, very short, size wise.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Josh Bruce

saynta wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 4:04pm Should he have played? Probably not, but hey the medicos cleared him.

Bruce was definitely not 100%. Add the Lonie injury, late Marshall out and a hectic first 5 games meant everything kind of conspired against us. We did well to be in it during the last quarter. It just wasn't our day/night. That is footy. Time to recharge and be ready for next week.

Yep, we also need another tall in there somewhere. Johnno Marsh (if ready) might get a call up. Making an early call, but Marsh will be in our best 22 by the end if the year. Bookmark it.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 4:04pm Should he have played? Probably not, but hey the medicos cleared him.

I'd rather a fit first gamer rather than an experienced palyer that is playing hurt. It's a pet peeve of mine and it reeks of weakness from the coaches or just plain dumn planning.

I don't know whether injuries to the whole playing list meant that we had to play Bruce.

Do you think it was a mistake by the coaches or were we forced to play short?

In other words, they knew that Marshall was ill during the week and that Brice was touch and go, so perhaps selection was wrong...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sometimes only the player knows if he can give 100%.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 9:23pm Sometimes only the player knows if he can give 100%.
Well, I was at the ground about 45 minutes before the game and it looked like Josh Bruce was doing a fitness test.

Those of us watching saw that he was severely hampered trying to run, and when we saw Longer warming up we naturally assumed that Marshall would go forward and Longer into the ruck.

It may have been OK for Darrell Baldock to play injured, and play from the goal square 50 years ago but playing Bruce was just plain stupidity. Bruce himself should have been honest and the fitness/coaching staff must be either incompetent or plain stupid for allowing him to play.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 10:00pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 9:23pm Sometimes only the player knows if he can give 100%.
Well, I was at the ground about 45 minutes before the game and it looked like Josh Bruce was doing a fitness test.

Those of us watching saw that he was severely hampered trying to run, and when we saw Longer warming up we naturally assumed that Marshall would go forward and Longer into the ruck.

It may have been OK for Darrell Baldock to play injured, and play from the goal square 50 years ago but playing Bruce was just plain stupidity. Bruce himself should have been honest and the fitness/coaching staff must be either incompetent or plain stupid for allowing him to play.
You did say that and I think it was a big mistake to play him.

Richo said it was his final call so if you picked it, it begs the question why didn’t Cho?

It looks like he stuffed this up, big time.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Lol!!

🥚 on 😳.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
outside66
Club Player

There is unfortunate and then there is plain stupid. Gears, Marshall, and Lonie - unfortunate. Relying on Bruce to pass a fitness test just before the bounce in round 6 simply reeks of 2018 selection policy. I get that we were already unsettled tremendously going into the game but I would've brought Joyce for Bruce, and swung Battle into the forward line. For us to continue to grow we should be able to bring in players who understand the system therefore whilst not ideal, players should be able to come in at short notice and execute a role. That said, I thought Battle was our best backman on the day.

saintact7
Club Player

Hope he's fit and he would too, great chance to play at 'home' - he grew up about 1 Km from Manuka Oval. Jack Steele also back in his home town, shame Logan Austin still injured. Great to have 3 Canberra boys on our list.

Can't wait for the game!

Crossy66
Club Player

I think Bruce is the one player we find hardest to replace, mainly because of his hard running. But I dont want to see him play this week regardless. No way he will be able to play like, well, Josh Bruce with a crook quad. I watched the fitness test closely and thought he was no hope and couldnt believe they played him. Marshall would be best fit this week as he can play forward and moving battle has to be the last resort. I dont see any loss this week with Billy on Mummy as neither are greyhounds and mummy like to hurt people.

Special
Club Player

So if Bruce was that badly hampered prematch why didn’t Richo show some balls and back in Marsh instead?

Not saying Marsh would’ve set the world on fire but Bruce hasn’t trained all week.

Very timid and weak by our coach - goes against the talk that’s it’s a team buy in that’s got us where we are.

I know this is a negative and will probably get me banned but it has to said

Crossy66
Club Player

Special wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 3:53pm So if Bruce was that badly hampered prematch why didn’t Richo show some balls and back in Marsh instead?

Not saying Marsh would’ve set the world on fire but Bruce hasn’t trained all week.

Very timid and weak by our coach - goes against the talk that’s it’s a team buy in that’s got us where we are.

Can only assume they are not like for like, really need a big body to contest in the air
Not sure Marsh is that guy and may have upset their planning. But he warmed up so it could have happened. I dont really know much about him other than the highlight reel that looked good(dont they all- hence the name))!)
In hindsight though....

spert
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 2:30pm I think Bruce is the one player we find hardest to replace, mainly because of his hard running. But I dont want to see him play this week regardless. No way he will be able to play like, well, Josh Bruce with a crook quad. I watched the fitness test closely and thought he was no hope and couldnt believe they played him. Marshall would be best fit this week as he can play forward and moving battle has to be the last resort. I dont see any loss this week with Billy on Mummy as neither are greyhounds and mummy like to hurt people.
Played injured last game, but apart from Round 1, not sure how much Bruce has contributed? The forward half has struggled to produce big scores.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Reminds me of when we played Kosi at Kardinia Park and stuffed him up.

Tony74 said juice would have been lineball.

Juice has been an important player for us and so I understand the reasoning on wanting him against the Crows. But often long-term thinking needs to triumph over short term desires.
It probably would have been best to rest him and to get another game into Joyce.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

yes yes yes
what intrigued me - given Bruce was under an injury cloud all week and didnt just go down in a warm up mishap - where was the plan B? The coach had plenty of time to work something out and really should have given Bruce's injury ravaged 2018
But on the height issue - this has really worried me
a quick look https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp- ... 2019&sby=7
shows anyone over 191cm is either not playing or a "DEFENDER"
And again what did we do at the start of this year turn a promising forward into a defender - Josh Battle
pretty certain someone described it as a master stroke of genius
You can throw in the recruiting of Sam Rowe - age, dubious ability, but what the heck hes a tall defender

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 4:15pm
Special wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 3:53pm So if Bruce was that badly hampered prematch why didn’t Richo show some balls and back in Marsh instead?

Can only assume they are not like for like, really need a big body to contest in the air
Not sure Marsh is that guy and may have upset their planning. But he warmed up so it could have happened. I dont really know much about him other than the highlight reel that looked good(dont they all- hence the name))!)
In hindsight though....
Th coach has already stated that Marsh was going to play if Bruce didn'come up.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Corkie. Should be ok apparently.

No way should d he have played. Big, fkn mistake.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Richo admits his big mistake.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/ ... -a-mistake

"ST KILDA coach Alan Richardson has admitted that he made a mistake by selecting injured key forward Josh Bruce in last week's loss to Adelaide.

Forced to undergo a fitness test on the eve of the clash for a corked quad, Bruce had little impact, going goalless from just seven disposals as the Crows' key defenders dominated in the air.

Richardson put his hand up to own the decision ahead of the Saints' trip to face Bruce's former side Greater Western Sydney on Saturday.

FULL INJURY LIST Who's ruled out and who's a test?

"'Brucey' probably wasn't at his best physically last week, he did a good job to put his hand up, (but) in hindsight, probably my call in terms of playing him," Richardson said on Friday.

"If I had my time again I probably wouldn't (have played Bruce)"

At least he is honest enough to own up.

Once Lonie went down, we were basically playing two short.

Then Long got hurt, :cry: .

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 03 May 2019 8:02pm Richo admits his big mistake.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/ ... -a-mistake

"ST KILDA coach Alan Richardson has admitted that he made a mistake by selecting injured key forward Josh Bruce in last week's loss to Adelaide.

Forced to undergo a fitness test on the eve of the clash for a corked quad, Bruce had little impact, going goalless from just seven disposals as the Crows' key defenders dominated in the air.

Richardson put his hand up to own the decision ahead of the Saints' trip to face Bruce's former side Greater Western Sydney on Saturday.

FULL INJURY LIST Who's ruled out and who's a test?

"'Brucey' probably wasn't at his best physically last week, he did a good job to put his hand up, (but) in hindsight, probably my call in terms of playing him," Richardson said on Friday.

"If I had my time again I probably wouldn't (have played Bruce)"

At least he is honest enough to own up.

Once Lonie went down, we were basically playing two short.

Then Long got hurt, :cry: .
We all make mistakes.

Well done to Alan for admitting it was a mistake to play Brucey. That is a good sign of any leader in any walk of life.

Total = 1.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

:shock: So Richo does make mistakes!

;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Special
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 03 May 2019 9:05pm :shock: So Richo does make mistakes!

;)
Yeah there is always a first I guess...

suss
Club Player

He plays injured players way too often in my view.

I'd much rather see a fringe player (who's 100% fit) play than Bruce at 50%.

Stupid error.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 10:35pm Lol!!

🥚 on 😳.
Coach admitted he stuffed up so who has egg on their face now?!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Most players have played with niggles or some corkies in their career. You hear stories after they retire about all the 'jabs' they had to endure for painkilling injections to get them through games.

Good on Richo for admitting the error but what I found astonishing is that he's been in the caper for a full 5 years and this will be his 6th, so how does he still make such basic entry level mistakes

The issue we all have is that when a player is not right to train during the week and is struggling with their movemennt the coach has to be tough enough to tell the player that he needs to sit it out and miss out on a match payment. Perhaps Richo is turning a new leaf with his decision to drop Nathan Brown and he's going to make more tough calls when required.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

What amazed me in terms of his admission, if the using the word "probably" is an admission, was in the full transcript he used the term "roll of the dice". Two things, it was not a must win game, a Prelim or GF & when has a roll of the dice ever worked for a St Kilda coach?

We do need to be better in this regard, our fitness staff, our medicos, our coaching staff and our players, particularly our players. The really good team oriented clubs have players who put their hand up and say I will be letting the team down if I play in this condition.

Let us hope this is the last time we hear a player shouldn't have played. For all the scrutiny Hannerbury has had, the one thing he's admitted is that his body is not right to perform at the level the club expects and has paid for.