Who starts as our Ruckman?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who starts as our Ruckman?

Longer
37%
Pierce
42%
Marshall
21%

Total votes: 52

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Re: Who starts as our Ruckman?

samuraisaint wrote: Wed 23 Jan 2019 4:09pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 23 Jan 2019 1:21pm
Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Wed 23 Jan 2019 9:04am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 1:01pm I'm tipping Billy to rebound this year and prove the doubters wrong. I didn't realise he is still only 25. In a ruckman's sense, that is still quite young. Billy still has plenty of improvement in him and time on his side. Oppo rucks don't enjoy playing against him when it comes to the physical stuff, that is the truth.
You mean come good?

How can he re-bound he's always been hopeless. His best year was 2017 but even then the only area he was adequate was hitouts. He still averaged only 5m gained and 1 kick per match. That's bad on an epic level.
If Billy gets tipped out by Marshall and/or Pearce and later on down the track by Alabaksis then so be it but Billy is our no 1 ruck right now. I personally don't think Billy is as bad as some paint him. Yes, he needs to get around the ground more and pick up more touches and take a few more marks but his primary role as a tap ruck and to be physical is his main purpose.

IMO, we should go all out for a top rival ruck in the next trade period though. They are bloody hard to find though.
The thing is we had one already; McEvoy. This is why I am not happy with some of the club's decisions in recent times.
McEvoy is a good ruckman but was never and still isn't great with winning the hitouts.

I think it's past the day where a ruckman's primary role is to win hitouts, it's now only 50% of the job.

Kate
Club Player

Playing Billy is like playing one man short around the ground. His okay tap work isn't worth the massive downside. I think it's time to put games into Pierce.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

McEvoy was years back. No point worrying about it now. People that made that call are gone anyway. Move on and fix the issue.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Kate wrote: Wed 23 Jan 2019 7:53pm Playing Billy is like playing one man short around the ground. His okay tap work isn't worth the massive downside. I think it's time to put games into Pierce.
I think that that is the intention anyway.

realdeal
Club Player

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Wed 23 Jan 2019 9:04am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 22 Jan 2019 1:01pm I'm tipping Billy to rebound this year and prove the doubters wrong. I didn't realise he is still only 25. In a ruckman's sense, that is still quite young. Billy still has plenty of improvement in him and time on his side. Oppo rucks don't enjoy playing against him when it comes to the physical stuff, that is the truth.
You mean come good?

How can he re-bound he's always been hopeless. His best year was 2017 but even then the only area he was adequate was hitouts. He still averaged only 5m gained and 1 kick per match. That's bad on an epic level.
But what an amazing kick it was though!

The 1.6 marks per game in 2017 were also major highlights..

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Mon 21 Jan 2019 9:13pm
samoht wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 10:41am The fact that it's neck and neck in the poll (16 vs 17 at this stage) should put the less-experienced Pierce ahead. Longer has probably reached his ceiling and maintained it, whereas Pierce may have some upside to come.

I hope Alabakis comes from left field and pips them both - as he is quick and athletic - apparently he covers 3/4 of a basketball court in 3.08 secs (that's over 22 metres) - which probably translates to a sub 3 sec 20 metre. Which is amazing for his size.
And his endurance is quite good. Go The Big Lab (owski).
So the club will go with the poll results, haha!!!!!
Bump

Interesting that the poll turned out to be a good indicator for round 1. Obviously Cho thought Pierce would be 'stronger in the ruck contest' than RoMa. Interesting that Pierce started as our ruckman when Longer suffered some hamstring issues (sitting down playing playstation for 6 hours must do wonders for your hammies). Also interesting that at least 6 posters wanted Marshall as our No. 1 ruckman

I won't be dissapointed if Longer and Pierce don't get another game this year. They are both plodders when you compare them with Marshall. If either one of them gets super fit and super agile in the next six months I may reconsider

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Also interesting to note how off the pace this forum was.

Now the consensus seems to be Marshall only... wonder what the next big revelation will be

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 1:54am
stonecold wrote: Mon 21 Jan 2019 9:13pm
samoht wrote: Sun 20 Jan 2019 10:41am The fact that it's neck and neck in the poll (16 vs 17 at this stage) should put the less-experienced Pierce ahead. Longer has probably reached his ceiling and maintained it, whereas Pierce may have some upside to come.

I hope Alabakis comes from left field and pips them both - as he is quick and athletic - apparently he covers 3/4 of a basketball court in 3.08 secs (that's over 22 metres) - which probably translates to a sub 3 sec 20 metre. Which is amazing for his size.
And his endurance is quite good. Go The Big Lab (owski).
So the club will go with the poll results, haha!!!!!
Bump

Interesting that the poll turned out to be a good indicator for round 1. Obviously Cho thought Pierce would be 'stronger in the ruck contest' than RoMa. Interesting that Pierce started as our ruckman when Longer suffered some hamstring issues (sitting down playing playstation for 6 hours must do wonders for your hammies). Also interesting that at least 6 posters wanted Marshall as our No. 1 ruckman

I won't be dissapointed if Longer and Pierce don't get another game this year. They are both plodders when you compare them with Marshall. If either one of them gets super fit and super agile in the next six months I may reconsider
If you think Marshall is going to be able to go it alone every game of the season, you are clueless on what it requires to play ruck, well, tbh, that will not happen to say the least, Marshall is doing well, however, he WILL best managed or share ruck duties before you know it, maybe as soon as this week!!!!!

Rowan is going well around the ground, however is just average with hit outs at this point, (he will improve over time), he still has work to do and a lot of it!!!!!

For mine, Rowan has been promising and start well, however as he gets beaten around and body tires he will need help or time off!!!!! Rowan would still be better served with a split of forward and ruck time, this will happen once Billy gets a few more kms in his legs!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I know I've hit a nerve when the exclamation marks are in double figures +

So you still reckon that Billy is a certainty to come back in to the line up at some stage or even this week...Gotta admire how you back in your man...At the moment we're better off with both Bruce and Acres giving Rowan a chop out

Billy should have worked hard over the summer to become the fittest and most flexible and agile he has ever been in his life. With Hickey traded there was a golden opportunity. Why is it that some players continually get hamstring issues? Was it just bad luck or do Billy's hobbies and perhaps a gaming addiction get in the way of him being a super fit and agile athlete?

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 10:02am I know I've hit a nerve when the exclamation marks are in double figures +

So you still reckon that Billy is a certainty to come back in to the line up at some stage or even this week...Gotta admire how you back in your man...At the moment we're better off with both Bruce and Acres giving Rowan a chop out

Billy should have worked hard over the summer to become the fittest and most flexible and agile he has ever been in his life. With Hickey traded there was a golden opportunity. Why is it that some players continually get hamstring issues? Was it just bad luck or do Billy's hobbies and gaming addiction get in the way of him being a super fit and agile athlete?
Marshall will not make it through a whole season as our sole ruckman, simple as that, if you think otherwise, your kidding yourself, its all part of being young, inexperienced and not body hardened!!!!!

That has nothing to do with any bias towards Longer, it's fact!!!!!

So you don't think Longer is any fitter than last season?????

By the way, if you want me to take you seriously, probably get fair dinkum and not constantly revert gaming jibes!!!!!

Would much rather some of our players enjoy that experience than others and their drug use!!!!!

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Marshall comes from a rugby background hence the intensity & physicality he plays with. He also learnt his afl trade playing as a midfielder hence his clearance work & running capacity. Also worth noting that he’s 23.5 so he’s got a mature frame. I reckon he’s less likely to break down than Longer who plays too much fortnight instead of getting his body right.
Last edited by Myron Gaines on Tue 16 Apr 2019 10:29am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Another 20 exclamation marks I see

Being slihtly fitter doesn't cut it. He needs to elevate to the level of his AFL peers who are elite athletes and are palying in the ruck
I've never taken you seriously so would should you take me seriously

I love it how you put words in people's mouths. What didn't you understand about Blacres and Juice assisting?
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 16 Apr 2019 10:35am, edited 1 time in total.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 10:29am Another 20 exclamation marks I see

Being slihtly fitter doesn't cut it

I've never taken you seriously so would should you take me seriously

I love it how you put words in people's mouths. What didn't you understand about Blacres and Juice assisting?
Stop making excuses and avoiding the question!!!!!

You think Marshall can ruck all season with little assistance?????

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Don't know? His name isn't Matthew Kreuzer is it?

Why play a guy in the seniors like Billy or like Lewis if they don't deserve the call up. Happy to see how it plays out with Bruce and Blake helping RoMa. It worked against Ceglar and BigBoy

stonecold
SS Life Member

Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 10:29am Marshall comes from a rugby background hence the intensity & physicality he plays with. He also learnt his afl trade playing as a midfielder hence his clearance work & running capacity. Also worth noting that he’s 23.5 so he’s got a mature frame. I reckon he’s less likely to break down than Longer who plays too much fortnight instead of getting his body right.
He has a more mature frame than an 18 year old recruit obviously, however he is not match hardened in terms of a ruckman's frame, big difference!!!!!

In the past it has been fair to be critical of Bill's training ethic, however he's pre season work this years was better than most, just unlucky to pop a 'string', some on here need to get a little up to speed maybe!!!!!

Marshall will be 'managed' at some point, if not, he WILL get battered and bruised and worse, injured!!!!!

At the end of the day, good to have competition for spots, all I will say is this: despite some self proclaimed 'experts' on here, great move by the club to trade Hickledik and he's massive salary!!!!! ;)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I love how you turn things into a positive move by the club. The club would have played Billy if he was fit, they played Lewis in round 1 and Lewy was poor and were forced to play Marshall who's form could not be ignored.

It happens all the time in football. The club may have thought that the number 1 ruck spot was Billy's for the taking, but opportunity and circumstances point to RoMa as number 1. You cannot stick to your guns if your plan A is failing. Billy cannot be included solely to play as a part time chop out ruckman

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 10:39am Don't know? His name isn't Matthew Kreuzer is it?

Why play a guy in the seniors like Billy or like Lewis if they don't deserve the call up. Happy to see how it plays out with Bruce and Blake helping RoMa. It worked against Ceglar and BigBoy
Thanks for still not answering clearly and sitting on the fence, I'm sure hindsight will provide your answer in time, as always!!!!!

Last time I looked, Billy's form has been fine in his two games back (including BOG as voted by the coaches in rnd 1), I've said it before and will say it again, Marshall will not survive the current role he is playing for the whole season, bookmark it, not a hindsight call either!!!!!

Get off the fence Scolly!!!!! ;)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ok. I'll make a prediction. I reckon if we are out of the hunt for finals with a huge run of losses or we are in the run home at the latter part of home and away and we have some injuries we might see Longer and Pierce get games and one might retain his spot even if his form doesn't warrant it...and then we'll just delist him at the end of the year

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 11:22am Ok. I'll make a prediction. I reckon if we are out of the hunt for finals with a huge run of losses or we are in the run home at the latter part of home and away and we have some injuries we might see Longer and Pierce get games and one might retain his spot even if his form doesn't warrant it...and then we'll just delist him at the end of the year
Nice try but nothing concrete there!!!!!

Progress from you, but work still be done, you could work on becoming more committed to the cause and could be more confident in yourself!!!!! D- ;)

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

What are your thoughts on Richo playing Acres in the ruck and at centre bounces Stoney? Also Long playing in the ruck around the ground? Surely this isn’t sustainable or good for those smaller bodies!!

We definitely need to play a second ruckman and have Marshall rotating forward. So Pierce or even (can’t brlieve I’m going to say this) L... Lon.. Longer need to come in!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
takeaway
Club Player

It is true that Marshall has exceeded expectations this year. Has done well, particularly around the ground, and hopefully his work in the hit outs will improve. However, we are losing the hitouts close to 2 to 1, and I doubt whether the mids can shark to the opposition rucks over a long hard year, particularly when teams are expecting it. Even some hitouts we win don't go to our advantage. Freo took the ball out of the centre almost at will for periods, (not necessarily RoMa's fault), and we tightened this up vs Hawks, lost the hitouts 2 to 1, but shaded them in the clearances, but against a very inexperienced Hawks midfield. Can we continue to do that, particularly against the better sides? Unlikely. There are a few tough matches over the next few weeks, and if Rowan can keep going at the current level and get more effective with hit outs, then good on him. But I reckon it won't be too long before we see Billy.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Acres plays above his height, so he doesn't need to be any taller. Richo should give Lonie a run against Gawn- Lonie would get heaps of free kicks for head high contact!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 1:00pm Acres plays above his height, so he doesn't need to be any taller. Richo should give Lonie a run against Gawn- Lonie would get heaps of free kicks for head high contact!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There'd be a few frees as well for the stops in the face or is that now called "studs up" or something

stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:50pm What are your thoughts on Richo playing Acres in the ruck and at centre bounces Stoney? Also Long playing in the ruck around the ground? Surely this isn’t sustainable or good for those smaller bodies!!

We definitely need to play a second ruckman and have Marshall rotating forward. So Pierce or even (can’t brlieve I’m going to say this) L... Lon.. Longer need to come in!
The smaller lads are not the answer Dudley, we do need a better solution, that's for sure, as stated many times previously, Marshall will not cope with playing as our only ruck, he will need to be 'managed' or at worst, assisted!!!!!

As also previously stated, when Billy is fit, he will come back in, forget about Pierce, he is not even playing at the moment and Billy is in decent form in the two games he has been back!!!!!

Will be interesting to see which way they go this week given Billy has a decent record against Gawn!!!!!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I agree with most of what’s posted here but the 2 rucks approach is really not popular on this forum...

Quite a few feel Acres in the ruck is a Richo mastersroke and that it’s simply not feasible.

I think Marshall needs help