Mr 75%

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mr 75%

Shaggy wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:03pm
saintsRrising wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 11:43am
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 11:03am
So basically a wild guess then.
Maybe Richo was hampered by the outgoing assistants, maybe the playing group are maturing, i.e. more experience, more games, better game plan. Maybe JB and Gresh have build tanks to run through the midfield. Maybe it was Richos idea to simplify the game plan. Maybe recruiting Wilkie, Parker, maybe (marginally)more accurate goal kicking, maybe the increase in fitness.
I mean why not give all the credit to Billy Slater? After all, they have a 75% winning ratio just because they hired him a day a week.
The coaches main role is to build a cohesive unit, to draw on the resources around him and thats what it looks like to me, so credit where it is due - he is leading well.

Well what you say COULD be true. However I very much doubt that it was Richo that brought in Ratten and Slater. I put that down to Lethlean.

I doubt very much that Richo built what you say.

IMO and I could be wrong, Richo built a poor team of assistants and this has been rectified not by him, but by others.

I read somewhere that Richo and Ratten are good mates. Their kids are friends and I think they played basketball together. Then Ratts brought Richo across to Carlton to assist him.

I have assumed the only reason we have Ratts is because of his strong relationship with Richo.

Yes Richo used to work for Ratts.

However my assumption is not the same as yours.

Lethlean had the brief to review all the assistant coaching positions and when concluded he announced the appoinment of Ratts and Lade, and then later other changes.

As an aside you may recall back when the Cats were not quite making the final step they needed too. They reviewed their fooball department and appointed Balme with in that case even speaking with their then coach at the time. Bomber was at the time furious about it, but later acknowledged that it was actually the best thing that could have happened.

Hopefully this will a like result for the Saints and for Richo.

Maybe Richo's problem in the past was that he simply no good at picking his own support staff. Or maybe he never did, and the club has just gotten better at picking support staff.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
twirlyhair
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:49am
twirlyhair wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:37am They have completely overhauled their game plan in the off-season. They were number one last year in play-on from a mark and they’re number 18 this year.

“They were number 18 last year in the corridor, long kicks down the line, this year they’re number one.

“What they’ve done is they’ve simplified their game plan, they’ve identified that they don’t have great kicks coming out of the back half, particularly without Dylan Roberton and Jake Carlisle

They have just simplified it. We’re not going to take huge risks coming out of the backline because if we do and we turn it over, which we did a lot last year, we’re going to get exposed.

“They’re defensively playing really strong footy and they’re a good contest team so they’re playing to their strengths and getting results.”

Rather believe the thoughts of our champ than the chumps on SS
Yep, these stats were highlighted pre-game on Fox Footy.

The more conservative approach to exiting defence has left the group far less exposed to turn overs and one on one contests.

Who is the champ you refer to? Is it Rooey on Fox Footy?
Yes this was Rooey talking (on SEN). Luke Hodge also mentioned that the talk in the industry was that the Saints were very much playing with a very strong team-first approach. Such a team-first approach really helps when you have a first choice player go out of the side. Much easier for a lesser player to step in and do a job.

Apples
Club Player

I notice in all comments in this thread, people are forgetting the elephant in the room, being back at Moorabbin and out of the shithole Seaford has made a big difference in my opinion. We are no longer at a disadvantage to other clubs with our training facilities, you only have to go down there to notice the difference in atmosphere, everybody is happy and the vibe is fantastic.

I think Billy Slater has improved our tacking and harassment out of sight and our improved backline has Ratten's fingerprints all over it.

Structurally I still think we need one more big forward, I think Membrey is getting monstered at the moment and Bruce can't do it on his own, it's a pity Paddy has his issues and King is months away.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Richo is stiff not being Mr 100% with the Saints being on top of the ladder. But who would have thunk that after 4 games we would be equal top.

Dud coach? Don't think so.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Leo.J wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:05am ...the arrival of Brett Ratten and the exit of Adam Kingsley may have something to do with these improvements.
No one's mentioning Playfair. He's in charge of defence and our defence has been awesome.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Apples wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:58pm I notice in all comments in this thread, people are forgetting the elephant in the room, being back at Moorabbin and out of the shithole Seaford has made a big difference in my opinion. We are no longer at a disadvantage to other clubs with our training facilities, you only have to go down there to notice the difference in atmosphere, everybody is happy and the vibe is fantastic.

I think Billy Slater has improved our tacking and harassment out of sight and our improved backline has Ratten's fingerprints all over it.

Structurally I still think we need one more big forward, I think Membrey is getting monstered at the moment and Bruce can't do it on his own, it's a pity Paddy has his issues and King is months away.
Very, very, very good point. And also the disruption while settling back in.

People are so much more objective this year.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Apples wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:58pm I notice in all comments in this thread, people are forgetting the elephant in the room, being back at Moorabbin and out of the shithole Seaford has made a big difference in my opinion. We are no longer at a disadvantage to other clubs with our training facilities, you only have to go down there to notice the difference in atmosphere, everybody is happy and the vibe is fantastic.

Agree about Moorabbin - but I thought Ratten was looking after the forwards not the backs?

Re Billy Slater - I thought us bringing him in was a publicity stunt. :oops: Looks like I was - pleased to say - totally wrong! Tackles seem to be sticking better for all our guys - Lonie, Sinclair. I'm not sure I'd noticed Sinclair getting stuck in like that before this week.

Membrey had a stinker of a game - probably the only player that did. Makes it hard to assess exactly how the forward line was supposed to be functioning.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I have been far from a Cho apologist.

Perhaps he just needed some help?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
twirlyhair
Club Player

Hey anyone seen The Dud lately?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:05pm Strength Through Loyalty

Note to the marketing department: You can't get a more powerful motto.

Simon Lethlean should be applauded for making loyalty important at our club again.

The irony isn't lost on me but it's what he's done by sticking by Alan.
Fortis Quo Fidelis, Strength through loyalty OR Strength through contractual obligation. I was never very good at Latin.

But long may the results live, without results we die an agonising death. Good on you Richo, finally heading forward. Please sustain it & continue to show faith in the kids, they will prevail.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:03am
Leo.J wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:05am ...the arrival of Brett Ratten and the exit of Adam Kingsley may have something to do with these improvements.
Yep.
And the Billy Slater school of tackling and evading tackles. Yesterday I noticed how we keep our feet in tackles and on many occasions shook the tackle.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:08am Alan's game day tactics have been inspired. Putting Blake into the ruck really got him going and the team lifted around him. Note to all the haters, if you don't have two quality ruckman dont select VFL standard tall guys just cause that's how they did it in the 80s.
An even more inspiring move might be playing Acres as an actual midfielder and not have him being smashed and bodied by ruckman. We might see the same kind of great output from him every week!

And did you ever think why we don’t have 2 quality ruckman to choose from? After 5 years of building a list you think this would be sorted.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:35pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:08am Alan's game day tactics have been inspired. Putting Blake into the ruck really got him going and the team lifted around him. Note to all the haters, if you don't have two quality ruckman dont select VFL standard tall guys just cause that's how they did it in the 80s.
An even more inspiring move might be playing Acres as an actual midfielder and not have him being smashed and bodied by ruckman. We might see the same kind of great output from him every week!

And did you ever think why we don’t have 2 quality ruckman to choose from? After 5 years of building a list you think this would be sorted.
How awesome would it be if Alan could identify a player capable of being elite as a midfielder, ruckman and forward and use his strengths as a development coach to help that player to realise that potential. Hang on....

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It would be awesome if Richo's grand plan is to have over half a dozen guys like Acres, Bruce, Battle, Carlisle, Marshall, Gresham, Billings, and Newnes all playing multiple roles both in the midfield and in defense or up forward. I like it.

I doubt that this was his grand plan 2-3 years ago or when he first started coaching us. E.g. Gears was played as a tagger this year but Cho has only used him as a backman the last 4-5 years. Up until now he wanted a "strong ruckman" who's hard at the ruck contest but not much chop at getting the footy.

This is a results industry. This is Richo's last year to prove he is worthy of calling himself an AFL coach. If he succeeds we'll all be wrapt for our club and for him personally.
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:23pm, edited 2 times in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:04pm

How awesome would it be if Alan could identify a player capable of being elite as a midfielder, ruckman and forward and use his strengths as a development coach to help that player to realise that potential. Hang on....
If you, and Richo, think taking an elite talent midfielder and continually smashing him against blokes 10+cm and 10+kg in ruck contests week after week is a good idea, then I’m afraid we’ll have to disagree.

I think playing him as a mid who drifts forward might be a better option.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:19pm

If you, and Richo, think taking an elite talent midfielder and continually smashing him against blokes 10+cm and 10+kg in ruck contests week after week is a good idea, then I’m afraid we’ll have to disagree.

I reckon you probably should start watching Auskick for a year or two and then bring your swap cards to show and tell.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:30pm

I reckon you probably should start watching Auskick for a year or two and then bring your swap cards to show and tell.
You know what they say when someone has to refer to personal insults in an argument...

Like I said, if you think a 191cm, 90kg bloke is a good ruck option, that’s fine. I’d hate to see where he rates on Stoney’s ‘presence’ scale!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:45pm

You know what they say when someone has to refer to personal insults in an argument...

Like I said, if you think a 191cm, 90kg bloke is a good ruck option, that’s fine. I’d hate to see where he rates on Stoney’s ‘presence’ scale!
I've got Jeff Sarau still in the packet and I think the gum is still chewable.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:51pm

I can see we have a bit of a ‘Fonzie’ situation here. That’s ok, I’ll take your fumbled attempts at insults as your concession.

Cheers.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:55pm

I can see we have a bit of a ‘Fonzie’ situation here. That’s ok, I’ll take your fumbled attempts at insults as your concession.

Cheers.
As you would know I don't think I've ever engaged in a posting conversation with you. Ponder that.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

1 point, 11 points, -5 points, 5 points. Not much between 75% and 0. Perhaps we could all be a likkle humble and grateful at this early-ish stage (Hawks did suffer several injuries as I recall). I still think our good form is despite of not because of Czar Alan. Lethlean, Ratten, Lade, Macquarie Banker are the major changes, AR seems immutable. Oh, ok, Wilkie as well ( noting Mbanker is from SA), and didn't we miss Brucey boy. Plus Ahrrr Marshal is terrific. One of the many good things about winning the close games Is it really builds player confidence and don't we all will them on to more close wins, with the occasional thrashing of Pies and Sydney.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:11pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:55pm

Cheers.
As you would know I don't think I've ever engaged in a posting conversation with you. Ponder that.
Actually I wouldn’t know, don’t really keep track of that sort of thing.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't give a "Blight's toss bag" about Alan Richardson's win-loss record for the past five years..... its HISTORY. What I AM concerned with ( and unashamedly happy about) is the win-loss record for the coaching PANEL! and the footy department for 2019 season! Whether it's Rattens influence, Lades influence....WHATEVER! something has improved and it SHOWS! I for one am happy!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 11:28pm I don't give a "Blight's toss bag" about Alan Richardson's win-loss record for the past five years..... its HISTORY.
Very grateful you're not giving us "Blight's toss bag" .

I'm tipping Blight would have topped up that bag often. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Shaggy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:34pm
Shaggy wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:03pm
saintsRrising wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 11:43am
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 11:03am
So basically a wild guess then.
Maybe Richo was hampered by the outgoing assistants, maybe the playing group are maturing, i.e. more experience, more games, better game plan. Maybe JB and Gresh have build tanks to run through the midfield. Maybe it was Richos idea to simplify the game plan. Maybe recruiting Wilkie, Parker, maybe (marginally)more accurate goal kicking, maybe the increase in fitness.
I mean why not give all the credit to Billy Slater? After all, they have a 75% winning ratio just because they hired him a day a week.
The coaches main role is to build a cohesive unit, to draw on the resources around him and thats what it looks like to me, so credit where it is due - he is leading well.

Well what you say COULD be true. However I very much doubt that it was Richo that brought in Ratten and Slater. I put that down to Lethlean.

I doubt very much that Richo built what you say.

IMO and I could be wrong, Richo built a poor team of assistants and this has been rectified not by him, but by others.

I read somewhere that Richo and Ratten are good mates. Their kids are friends and I think they played basketball together. Then Ratts brought Richo across to Carlton to assist him.

I have assumed the only reason we have Ratts is because of his strong relationship with Richo.

Yes Richo used to work for Ratts.

However my assumption is not the same as yours.

Lethlean had the brief to review all the assistant coaching positions and when concluded he announced the appoinment of Ratts and Lade, and then later other changes.

As an aside you may recall back when the Cats were not quite making the final step they needed too. They reviewed their fooball department and appointed Balme with in that case even speaking with their then coach at the time. Bomber was at the time furious about it, but later acknowledged that it was actually the best thing that could have happened.

Hopefully this will a like result for the Saints and for Richo.

Maybe Richo's problem in the past was that he simply no good at picking his own support staff. Or maybe he never did, and the club has just gotten better at picking support staff.
We have picked up very different vibes.

3 out of 4 assistant coaches recently gone were inherited by Richo.

I always thought it was a bit weird that Richo did not create his own team.

I agree Leathlen's review created the kick-out.

But the newbies are Richo's relationships. Ratten is a good mate. Lade comes from Port connections. Skrobalak from working together on Pierce.