Time to step up!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Re: Time to step up!!!!!

freely wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:31pm
samuraisaint wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:38am ... we looked so much better when Marshall was in the forward line in the last quarter, because he, Bruce and Kent were marking the ball inside 50 then...
Yeah - but if he was playing at FF instead of just drifting up there, he'd have a key defender on him and it would all look a bit different.
Spot on. Easy to look good when no one of worth is marking you

twirlyhair
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:24pm
linz wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 10:16pm Ah coach bashing!!

I've seen that so many times as a Saints member of 48 years.

I have a close friend who barracks for Melbourne.
Whenever the "D's' don't perform, it's always the coach who is at fault. He has blamed Barrassi, Northey, Balme, Huthison, Daniher, Bailey, Neeld, Craig, Roos and now Goodwin for CS
It's never the players or the facilities or the assistants or the board or the recruiters or the philosophy or the culture of the club.

No it's always the coach.

Well, I reckon supporters who always want the coach to be sacked cause the most damage to a football club. Just my observation.
This should have a thread all of its own.

You encapsulate everything perfectly that is grubby about the haters. The haters just make it so personal and forget objectivity and also just how to take enjoyment from the good things happening at club.

I feel so sorry for the haters atm, they will be feeling terrible becuse the club, coach and players are doing so well and instead of feeling happy for how the club has started they instead are hating even more. How can anyone hate what is happening.
Yes! There is nothing better than believing and having faith, even when it is hard to, and it pays off!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:57pm

Whenever the "D's' don't perform, it's always the coach who is at fault. He has blamed Barrassi, Northey, Balme, Huthison, Daniher, Bailey, Neeld, Craig, Roos and now Goodwin for CS
It's never the players or the facilities or the assistants or the board or the recruiters or the philosophy or the culture of the club.

Well, I reckon supporters who always want the coach to be sacked cause the most damage to a football club. Just my observation.

You encapsulate everything perfectly that is grubby about the haters. The haters just make it so personal and forget objectivity and also just how to take enjoyment from the good things happening at club.

I feel so sorry for the haters atm, they will be feeling terrible becuse the club, coach and players are doing so well and instead of feeling happy for how the club has started they instead are hating even more. How can anyone hate what is happening.
Yes! There is nothing better than believing and having faith, even when it is hard to, and it pays off!
And before we get jumped on for having "blind faith", let me be clear: having blind faith can be as counter productive as being a hater.

The club has worked fantastically since 2018 went south. For once in the whole of the club's history did the admin resist making a scapegoat of an individual and paper over ALL of the issues.

Just so proud of how they have managed the club in the past 12 months.

Crossy66
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 2:05pm
twirlyhair wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:57pm

And before we get jumped on for having "blind faith", let me be clear: having blind faith can be as counter productive as being a hater.

The club has worked fantastically since 2018 went south. For once in the whole of the club's history did the admin resist making a scapegoat of an individual and paper over ALL of the issues.

Just so proud of how they have managed the club in the past 12 months.
100% spot on.
Smacks of strong leadership. Seems to have coincided with Lethleans review and resulting action.
The changes have been measured and orderly and on the money . Mature drafts have been a highlight in fact we have had a good year or two with recruiting and i think at years end, we would have a bit more appeal to an ooc A grader (kelly, parker etc)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

This.

https://www.afl.com.au/?ref=Net-Header2-AFL

"So what's different with this group? For Richardson, it stems back to an arduous pre-season which saw the players pushed to their limits.

Whether it was completing sprints after an intraclub in February as the sun beat down at RSEA Park, or completing a beach tackling session that the players described as perhaps the most gruelling and intense they had done, there was no respite.

WATCH Alan Richardson's full post-match press conference

Now they're reaping the rewards.

"Fundamentally, the guys have got really strong belief in their legs," Richardson said.

"They believe on the back of incredibly hard work, that they're a hard-running team, and so we're never going to be out of the game.

"We're going to be able to end up with really good numbers at contests because they're going to run well.

"I think they've also got a lot of belief in each other now because of this improvement that's starting to come with players that have been here for a while."

The next test awaits. Melbourne, next Saturday, at the MCG.

Richardson was hopeful Steven would return, while Geary should be fine.

Regardless of who the Saints put out there, expect a team that won't give up."

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 8:39pm Dear Simon,

Time to tap a few of these coach bashers on the shoulder!!!!!

We are 3-1, yes, we still have work to do, however these coach bashers are about as handy as a Vegan Protest on here!!!!!

Sort them out please, or time to start naming and shaming as they seem to be paperbag supporters, give the club the respect it is slowly earning!!!!!
My understanding of a fan forum is each and every person has the option of inputting their opinion.

I would think that this forum is moderated heavily enough that further measures are not required assuming their is no inappropriate commentary.

Whilst I think your post is tongue in cheek, I for one wish to read opinions from the blue sky posters who think everything we do is fantastic regardless of potential outcome through to the those manic posters who would bemoan the margin we were successful in winning the flag by.

But each to their own :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:31pm
samuraisaint wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:38am ... we looked so much better when Marshall was in the forward line in the last quarter, because he, Bruce and Kent were marking the ball inside 50 then...
Yeah - but if he was playing at FF instead of just drifting up there, he'd have a key defender on him and it would all look a bit different.
We need three tall forwards in the forward line. And as very good as we've been so far this season, we were still lucky to kick 10 goals yesterday - anybody can see that Bruce as the lone tall forward is not the answer long term.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 11:43pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 10:20pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 9:49pm What about Dudley for head coach? Don't rule it out! 🤫
Wouldn’t haven taken me til the fourth quarter to move Marshall forward...
Another after the event call, typical really!!!!!

Still not a recliner!!!!! ;)
Called it weeks ago Stoney, hopefully that’s not CTE kicking in ;)

If Richo insists on the gameplan of continually bombing long into the forward line then we need another tall apart from Bruce who can take a big pack mark.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:25pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 9:49pm What about Dudley for head coach? Don't rule it out! 🤫

If Richo insists on the gameplan of continually bombing long into the forward line then we need another tall apart from Bruce who can take a big pack mark.
Yeah, I expect that's what Richo tells them to do.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:36pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:25pm

Yeah, I expect that's what Richo tells them to do.
They’ve been doing it for five years, so if he’s not instructing them to do it why does it keep happening?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

They've been doing it for 25 years and so has every other team in the comp. And you know why - they do it when they can't spot a better option fast enough. There's no mystery. I know f-all about coaching but I'm certain "bomb it long" isn't part of Richo's gameplan.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

freely wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:47pm They've been doing it for 25 years and so has every other team in the comp. And you know why - they do it when they can't spot a better option fast enough. There's no mystery. I know f-all about coaching but I'm certain "bomb it long" isn't part of Richo's gameplan.
No, you're completely wrong!
Only Alan orders his troops to bomb it long to the hot spot. He apparently invented it! No other club or their players do it!
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 2:35pm This.

"So what's different with this group? For Richardson, it stems back to an arduous pre-season which saw the players pushed to their limits.

Whether it was completing sprints after an intraclub in February as the sun beat down at RSEA Park, or completing a beach tackling session that the players described as perhaps the most gruelling and intense they had done, there was no respite.

"Fundamentally, the guys have got really strong belief in their legs," Richardson said.

"They believe on the back of incredibly hard work, that they're a hard-running team, and so we're never going to be out of the game.

"We're going to be able to end up with really good numbers at contests because they're going to run well.

"I think they've also got a lot of belief in each other now because of this improvement that's starting to come with players that have been here for a while."

We all know Cho is a nice guy, but nice guys come last. Nice coaches end up with a poor win loss ratio. If Richo was a hardarse from the word go we may have not had such a disastrous year as 2018. I would have preferred that he breaks players and forced more of them out the door rather the continual excuses and calling players "rippers" and bragging about how "strong they are in a ruck contest"

Revelation: Richo works out after being head coach at St Kilda for a full five years that fitness is important

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:47pm They've been doing it for 25 years and so has every other team in the comp. And you know why - they do it when they can't spot a better option fast enough. There's no mystery. I know f-all about coaching but I'm certain "bomb it long" isn't part of Richo's gameplan.
It’s been happening since the 90s because back then it was the era of power forwards and pre-flooding.

Would be nice to have a coach who could devise a gameplan of moving the ball out of D50, down the ground and into F50 that didn’t mostly consist of ‘bomb and hope’. OR at least pick a team that bombing long works well with, and not rely on the likes of Lonie and Long continually flying against 2 defenders.

I’m pretty sure you pay the coach to come up with more than “oh well, they’ve been doing that for 25 years”. Believe it or not there is a way to move the ball intelligently into the forward 50.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:05pm
saynta wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 2:35pm This.

We all know Cho is a nice guy, but nice guys come last. Nice coaches end up with a poor win loss ratio. If Richo was a hardarse from the word go we may have not had such a disastrous year as 2018. I would have preferred that he breaks players and forced more of them out the door rather the continual excuses and calling players "rippers" and bragging about how "strong they are in a ruck contest"

Revelation: Richo works out after being head coach at St Kilda for a full five years that fitness is important
The fact some on here are celebrating that it’s only taken 5 years for Richo to realise/enact basic footy tactics is mind boggling. :shock:

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Geez, you 2 blokes never stop with Richo. Its embarrassing. 🙄🙄🙄

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:12pm Geez, you 2 blokes never stop with Richo. Its embarrassing. 🙄🙄🙄
Commenting of posters again?

We didn’t start the thread discussing the coach, if you don’t want to read it why are you clicking on it?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Yep. I'm commenting that you two are embarrassing on the Richo front and just really s*** supporters of the Saints to be honest.

Talk about the positives and 3-1 record for a change. It will be refreshing like a cup of Japanese green tea. Give it a go.
<1 day ban for commenting negatively about posters>

Total = 1.
twirlyhair
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:14pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:12pm Geez, you 2 blokes never stop with Richo. Its embarrassing. 🙄🙄🙄

We didn’t start the thread discussing the coach, if you don’t want to read it why are you clicking on it?
Hmmm, hasn't been a good month for you has it dud?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:16pm Yep. I'm commenting that you two are embarrassing on the Richo front and just really s*** supporters of the Saints to be honest.

Talk about the positives and 3-1 record for a change. It will be refreshing like a cup of Japanese green tea. Give it a go.
I have talked about plenty of positives in other threads. In the threads about Richo I’ve talked about Richo.

Pretty simple really.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:17pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:14pm

Hmmm, hasn't been a good month for you has it dud?
Been a great month actually, plus the Saints boys have been showing a bit. :)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:16pm Yep. I'm commenting that you two are embarrassing on the Richo front and just really s*** supporters of the Saints to be honest.

When we win it shouldn't be just 2 or 3 individuals that get the credit. You'd agree with that wouldn't you? But...

There can always be improvements made to individual's performances and to the team as a whole with some players being replaced if there is a player out with injury that usually plays in our best side. You even started a thread saying that Nick Hind should get a call up even though Gears and Stuv are obvious ins. Same with the team at the end of the year, if a super fit Carlisle is ready and we are close to finals there could be an option to have him come straight in even if there isn't an obvious choice for someone to be dropped.

The same with the individual who is our current head coach. Some of us believe that we would be a better team without Cho in the team

It's a team game so the team takes the heat when we lose (as do the admin and footy department) and the team celebrates together when we win. Everyone understands that, but what some people fail to acknowledge in a team sport is that there can still be weak links when you get a win. The evidence so far is underwhelming for Richo to retain his position as head coach. If we get close to making finals or make finals in 2019 then he deserves 1 more year and if we perform to the same level again in 2020 then I'll shut up.

Let's distinguish however the difference between the players and the supporters. My opinion should not be the opinion of the players. If you are paid to win and play to win for St Kilda FC and to listen to your boss, then you have 100% buy in and you back Richo in

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The thing is, the criticism of Richo over 2018 was largely warranted... likewise just about everyone is acknowledging commending the improved performance so far.

The 'Richo Haters' per'se posted criticism based on what they saw... and that is fair enough. It's their right.

It's rubbed a handful of forumites the wrong way so much that they're more interested in squaring the ledger then they are about having meaningful discussions about the Saints. Hence this thread.

The criticism that Richo copped over 2018 is not any less valid because the team has had a few wins to start 2019 off.

This type of posting leads people not to talk objectively about the Saints but a handful of forumites are carrying on like we've won a premiership already and in sticking it to the 'haters' are encouraging them to justify their positions,

It's silly stuff.

Like I said in another, we could EASILY be 4-0, 1-3 and if we'd played the bomber's this week instead of 2 weeks ago we could even have been 0-4. The results (3 games by less than a goal, 1 game by 3 goals) isn't important. The performance is. And the performance is better than it was last year. Not a ton better, but better. It's not more difficult than that

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:The thing is, the criticism of Richo over 2018 was largely warranted... likewise just about everyone is acknowledging commending the improved performance so far.

The 'Richo Haters' per'se posted criticism based on what they saw... and that is fair enough. It's their right.

It's rubbed a handful of forumites the wrong way so much that they're more interested in squaring the ledger then they are about having meaningful discussions about the Saints. Hence this thread.

The criticism that Richo copped over 2018 is not any less valid because the team has had a few wins to start 2019 off.

This type of posting leads people not to talk objectively about the Saints but a handful of forumites are carrying on like we've won a premiership already and in sticking it to the 'haters' are encouraging them to justify their positions,

It's silly stuff.

Like I said in another, we could EASILY be 4-0, 1-3 and if we'd played the bomber's this week instead of 2 weeks ago we could even have been 0-4. The results (3 games by less than a goal, 1 game by 3 goals) isn't important. The performance is. And the performance is better than it was last year. Not a ton better, but better. It's not more difficult than that
I disagree with the last bit. We are a ton better than this time last year. We were smashed by North, Crows and Cats in consecutive weeks. None of them were world beaters.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
derby Street
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:57pm The thing is, the criticism of Richo over 2018 was largely warranted... likewise just about everyone REALLY :shock You are joking surely?: is acknowledging commending the improved performance so far.

It's rubbed a handful of forumites the wrong way so much that they're more interested in squaring the ledger then they are about having meaningful discussions about the Saints. WTF - surely it goes 2 ways, I don't see meaningful comments when some heap sh!t on Richardson in nearly every post? Hence this thread.

It's silly stuff.

Skeptic you are normally quite subjective - not sure whats happened there. Hope you don't join the Saint haters. I unashamedly am a saint lover even when things are going pear shaped. I remember the 80's all too well