Match Thread. Saints V Hawks Rd 4 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread. Saints V Hawks Rd 4 2019

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 8:32pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:38pm
ListManager wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:20pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:07pm Hard to say, but I actually hope we lose. Anything that will move the club towards getting rid of Richardson is for longer term good. We will never go anywhere while this bloke is coach. The much vaunted new coaches have made sofa difference. Game plan is still basically the same as last year. Hard to watch.
Nice one Mr Mod st.byron!!!
Long time not a mod mate.
Short term pleasure of winning is nice. Long term pain of going nowhere is not. IMO we have no chance of being a contender whilst Richardson remains. So anything that hastens his exit works for me. Just listening to him makes me wince.
Don’t listen to him then. Just enjoy watching his / our team win.
That’s the point really. I don’t really enjoy it any more. I’ve lost passion for the team. It’s drained out of me gradually and last year was the straw that broke the camels back. I was pretty well empty by the end of the year. The fact that I’m still on here commenting is testimony to how the Saints are in my blood, but I’m tired of the botched recruiting and coaching and believe that at the mo that we are just papering over the cracks. A few wins over other struggling clubs doesn’t change much.
And...Mr. KFT, I’ll say what I think. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion.

the dome
Club Player

Saints made for excellent viewing today

I admit to being worried early in the 3rd. but the players kept their focus & kept presenting as options for team-mates & kept launching into the next action.
Great determination & focus to push the Hawks right through that last Qrt. & eventually all the way to the final siren.

G O S A I N T S :D

stonecold
SS Life Member

Nothing like playing the 'I'm a former Mod Card, so my opinion is more important', is there?????

Your either with the club that is 3-1, or your not!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 8:50pm Nothing like playing the 'I'm a former Mod Card, so my opinion is more important', is there?????

Seriously mate. You’re so missing the point. But then, how would someone without a scintilla of self reflection recognise it in someone else?
Still, it is time for me to pack my bags on here and give it a rest.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

wasoncestkil58 wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 8:18pm Are The_Dud and Scollop twins? Two of the most negative posters ever. Amazing we are 3 and 1.
I get as frustrated as any but I can't doubt the endeavor of our boys.
As for our coach I think the inclusion of some new blood in the coaching ranks has been as refreshing as ever. Yes I know our skills aren't the best but I am sure we are on the right track.
If you actually read my posts you’ll see I gave plenty of credit to the boys and backed THEM the whole time.

I don’t like Richo and our boys talent is being wasted with him. None of the Richo backers have ever been able to tell me why he’s above criticism?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
stonecold
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 8:53pm
stonecold wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 8:50pm Nothing like playing the 'I'm a former Mod Card, so my opinion is more important', is there?????

Seriously mate. You’re so missing the point. But then, how would someone without a scintilla of self reflection recognise it in someone else?
Still, it is time for me to pack my bags on here and give it a rest.
Good, get on or off really, your off, that's OK, all the best mate!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Match Thread. Saints V Hawks Rd 4 2019

Settle boys, we won. Just home and reading this thread. Wow.

Felt a whole lot more in control at the ground, even when we were down you felt like we were willing ourselves to run over the top.

And we did.

Outstanding team effort.

JB, Seb, Gresh, Blacres, Steele enormous when it counted. JB clunking marks under pressure a sight to behold.

Jack Lonie repaying the faith in spades. The distance he ran to get to some tackles was impressive.

Wilkie was a ripper. Covered enormous ground.

Long and Parker working it out together.

Roma magnicent. Like a rover.

Very proud.
Last edited by SemperFidelis on Sun 14 Apr 2019 9:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always loyal
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:50pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:43pm
My heart was saying win it, but my head is now thinking I agree with St B. Hawthorn were unlucky to lose and we fell over the line against a team ravaged by injuries. Not only with Burgoyne, Shiel, O'meara etc out, but also the guys like Stratton and Frawley going down during the game.
Carlisle, Steven, Roberton, Hannebery, McCartin

Al teams have injuries - looks like our depth is equal to the Hawks

We were coming off a game in Perth - Hawks played at the G last week.

We were unlucky not to win by more ....... see I can play this game as well
But I would give our salary cap and Hannebery to have Mitchell at the saints
Do I win the game?

Seeya
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:13pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:25pm
shrodes wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:24pm We're up and about. If we can keep this intensity up for the last quarter we will run over the top of them
Hope we dont
:roll:
It hurts us in the long run having a coach like Richo. We are not going to get over the line against better teams (the Hawks have more injuries to key playmakers than we do). Richo's gameplan is not really a game plan, it's a non-negotiable; pressure!! Our forward entries today were on par with the usual gameplan...it sucks!!

My heart was saying win it, but my head is now thinking I agree with St B. Hawthorn were unlucky to lose and we fell over the line against a team ravaged by injuries. Not only with Burgoyne, Shiel, O'meara etc out, but also the guys like Stratton and Frawley going down during the game.

Marshall was awesome but he needs help. In a way it could have been curtains for us if the Hawks lined him up and if he wasn't ther for the last quarter. I think the rest of the talls on both sides had poor games.

Congratulations to the players. They were definitely hungrier than the Hawks and we had an edge of hardness today. Our tackling, our spoils and general loose ball contests were fantastic.
I'm pretty sure Dylan Shiel plays for Essendon these days. Surely the Hawks can't complain about missing Burgoyne, he's pretty old, like us missing Robert Harvey. And O'meara, really he was injury plagued when they got him.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 8:46pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:07pm Hard to say, but I actually hope we lose. Anything that will move the club towards getting rid of Richardson is for longer term good. We will never go anywhere while this bloke is coach. The much vaunted new coaches have made sofa difference. Game plan is still basically the same as last year. Hard to watch.
Short term pleasure of winning is nice. Long term pain of going nowhere is not. IMO we have no chance of being a contender whilst Richardson remains. So anything that hastens his exit works for me. Just listening to him makes me wince.
That’s the point really. I don’t really enjoy it any more. I’ve lost passion for the team. It’s drained out of me gradually and last year was the straw that broke the camels back. I was pretty well empty by the end of the year. The fact that I’m still on here commenting is testimony to how the Saints are in my blood, but I’m tired of the botched recruiting and coaching and believe that at the mo that we are just papering over the cracks. A few wins over other struggling clubs doesn’t change much.
Who said you’re re not entitled to an opinion. I disagree vehemently with it, but nobody’s oppressing you.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 8:46pm
Just as well you weren't a supporter in the 80's then.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

And I do wonder about the sort of person who has added nothing to the game day thread
but will trowel though the pages to find a poster that may vented after watching the opposition kick five straight
just to call them non supporters

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 9:17pm
saynta wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:13pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:25pm
shrodes wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:24pm We're up and about. If we can keep this intensity up for the last quarter we will run over the top of them
Hope we dont
:roll:
It hurts us in the long run having a coach like Richo. We are not going to get over the line against better teams (the Hawks have more injuries to key playmakers than we do). Richo's gameplan is not really a game plan, it's a non-negotiable; pressure!! Our forward entries today were on par with the usual gameplan...it sucks!!

Marshall was awesome but he needs help. In a way it could have been curtains for us if the Hawks lined him up and if he wasn't ther for the last quarter. I think the rest of the talls on both sides had poor games.

Congratulations to the players. They were definitely hungrier than the Hawks and we had an edge of hardness today. Our tackling, our spoils and general loose ball contests were fantastic.
I'm pretty sure Dylan Shiel plays for Essendon these days. Surely the Hawks can't complain about missing Burgoyne, he's pretty old, like us missing Robert Harvey. And O'meara, really he was injury plagued when they got him.

Liam Shiels.

Crossy66
Club Player

What a bunch of sad sack curmudgeons on here. Very hard to find much to criticize about todays performance.
I think we outplayed the HAwks most of the day, but struggled to have our effort reflected on the scoreboard. Billings, Gresham, Steele, Ross have all stepped up to A grade, hope they can sustain it. But its the less heralded group that are making a big difference. THe defensive pressure applied by all 22 was terrific today and there were very few passengers. Hawthorn were very good defensively as well and this gets forgotten when skill errors are made. They pressured the ball carrier and shut down shorter options forcing us to kick long to contest. Our forwards were stagnant and had trouble find space to lead.
Richo deserves credit for the spirit of the group and the way the team is playing for each other. Having Marshall float forward was the match winner for mine. He gave us another big target to kick to resulting in two marks and shots on goal. I really believe MArshall could be a real weapon if we play another tap ruckman and have marshall play forward 50% game time. Also worth mentioning Parker and Long. Neither recorded a lot of stats but their pressure was telling and both tackle to hurt. Parker on Impey was a game changer.
There is a lot going right at the moment, so enjoy the ride!

BigDazzaB
Club Player

Love the effort

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by BigDazzaB on Sun 14 Apr 2019 10:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 9:01pm

Do I win the game?
Considering that Mitchell never wanted to come to the Saints you would be wasting your time

So i guess its ............. checkmate :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 10:15pm What a bunch of sad sack curmudgeons on here. Very hard to find much to criticize about todays performance.
I think we outplayed the HAwks most of the day, but struggled to have our effort reflected on the scoreboard. Billings, Gresham, Steele, Ross have all stepped up to A grade, hope they can sustain it. But its the less heralded group that are making a big difference. THe defensive pressure applied by all 22 was terrific today and there were very few passengers. Hawthorn were very good defensively as well and this gets forgotten when skill errors are made. They pressured the ball carrier and shut down shorter options forcing us to kick long to contest. Our forwards were stagnant and had trouble find space to lead.
Richo deserves credit for the spirit of the group and the way the team is playing for each other. Having Marshall float forward was the match winner for mine. He gave us another big target to kick to resulting in two marks and shots on goal. I really believe MArshall could be a real weapon if we play another tap ruckman and have marshall play forward 50% game time. Also worth mentioning Parker and Long. Neither recorded a lot of stats but their pressure was telling and both tackle to hurt. Parker on Impey was a game changer.
There is a lot going right at the moment, so enjoy the ride!
Yep nicely put!

Last year we would have lost that game when we went 26pts down - the margin would stayed around that 5-6 goal mark and we would be ruing another 10 min lapse in concentration.

The fact the boys knuckled down and never gave up shows a new level of maturity and confidence that we lacked last season.

We still have plenty of things to work on and we need to minimise those lapses but the signs are encouraging.

All teams will now realise that Saints ain't gunna give up without a fight - just need to add a little class and top 8 is a very real certainty

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

And our captain Geary was a last minute omission too. We lost McKenzie very early when he was knocked out. Great win! Meant a lot to me and certainly meant a lot to the many other St. Kilda supporters who were there. Pulsating last quarter - especially when what could have been the sealer was reviewed and found to be a behind. My youngest son lost a tooth in all the excitement. Great game by Seb Ross, Wilkie, Long, Lonie, and Marshall. Steele was a rock of Gibraltar all day.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Devilhead wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 10:17pm
sunsaint wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 9:01pm

Do I win the game?
Considering that Mitchell never wanted to come to the Saints you would be wasting your time

So i guess its ............. checkmate :wink:
Gears was also a huge loss for us today - his workrate, effort, and organisation skills are key.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Yes, pretty tired of hearing how injury ravaged the Hawks were already...piss poor excuse against a St Kilda outfit missing half a dozen of its starting 22.

Whilst I'm at it, I can sense the frustration with seeing The Bomb still a regular part of our game, halfbacks charging out of defense only to stop and go sideways, flaccid kicking, frequent lapses of intensity, etc. but one massive area of improvement since 2018 seems to be the team's self belief that they can pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get back into the game, even win it. We would have been blown off the park during the second half last year, but this year they worked out how to stop the rot and lifted the intensity. Well done Saints.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

no gears..Steven..Carlisle..(hannebury) ... yet the commentators on fox didn't mind throwing out the old..Hawthorn depleted line. said nothing about the Saints

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 10:49pm no gears..Steven..Carlisle..(hannebury) ... yet the commentators on fox didn't mind throwing out the old..Hawthorn depleted line. said nothing about the Saints
Doesn't matter mate - we won. That's all that matters. :D

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:12pm
derby Street wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:36pm If we run over the top of an injury ravaged Hawthorn, it will be INSPITE of Cho, and all down to the desperation of the 22 players.
You really are a miserable sad sack. If they lose its Richo's fault, if they win its only due to the players.
Richo is no good, imagine what we could do with a gun head coach.

Feel free to let me know what aspects of his gameplan you like.
you just have a complete chip on your shoulder, our defensive structure is almost the best in the competition we are so organised and teams are finding it very difficult to score against us. We are playing a much better brand of footy and, more importantly, Richo has got everyone playing as one cohesive unit. They know their roles and they look after each other. That is all coach

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 10:49pm no gears..Steven..Carlisle..(hannebury) ... yet the commentators on fox didn't mind throwing out the old..Hawthorn depleted line. said nothing about the Saints
Roberton, Paddy.

They're just jealous

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 11:06pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:12pm
derby Street wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:36pm If we run over the top of an injury ravaged Hawthorn, it will be INSPITE of Cho, and all down to the desperation of the 22 players.
You really are a miserable sad sack. If they lose its Richo's fault, if they win its only due to the players.
Richo is no good, imagine what we could do with a gun head coach.

Feel free to let me know what aspects of his gameplan you like.
you just have a complete chip on your shoulder, our defensive structure is almost the best in the competition we are so organised and teams are finding it very difficult to score against us. We are playing a much better brand of footy and, more importantly, Richo has got everyone playing as one cohesive unit. They know their roles and they look after each other. That is all coach
Defensive structure? You mean clogging up their D50 with 14 players making it a scrum? Yeah that’s effective, until we try to get it out and our long bombs to no one continue to come right back in.

And I’m glad after 5 seasons he’s finally got them ‘playing as a team’! Any decent coach should have them doing that from day one.

There are better options out there, Richo’s never going to take us to the top.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.