"Luckless" Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

"Luckless" Paddy

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-29/no ... ts-forward

3 weeks since the fairly innocuous knock and Paddy still has symptoms if concussion.

Media and the Club have to stop talking about it being bad luck....he will never make it.

Retire the young man, and let everyone move on. No-one doubts his courage or talent, but for Godsake lets stop pretending he'll come back and have an AFL career.

Nee!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: "Luckless" Paddy

Lets leave it to the experts and the player himself. They will make the right call either way.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

If only we had drafted DeGoey.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It was only meant to be a corky to his backside. :roll:

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Crossy66
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 1:25pm If only we had drafted DeGoey.
SS would have melted if we didnt take Petracca :shock:

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

No one could have predicted the concussions. His brother at The Swans is now struggling with a concussion issue. You can't blame the club for this situation, and you can't blame the player. It's just an unfortunate turn of events, just like the Neale Daniher situation at Essendon decades ago, to the David Schwarze situation at Melbourne. These situations occur in football at every club at some stage. See Tom Williams at The Bulldogs, Scott Gumbleton at Essendon, and so on. We will never know of Paddy's true capabilities, but the poor guy really has had a wretched run of bad luck and it's pointless comparing him to others who have not had to endure such a terrible series of events.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 3:04pm No one could have predicted the concussions. His brother at The Swans is now struggling with a concussion issue. You can't blame the club for this situation, and you can't blame the player. It's just an unfortunate turn of events, just like the Neale Daniher situation at Essendon decades ago, to the David Schwarze situation at Melbourne. These situations occur in football at every club at some stage. See Tom Williams at The Bulldogs, Scott Gumbleton at Essendon, and so on. We will never know of Paddy's true capabilities, but the poor guy really has had a wretched run of bad luck and it's pointless comparing him to others who have not had to endure such a terrible series of events.
Well said Colleague! A commonsense, logical and sensitive response to the Paddy McCartin issue. KUDOS!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
GilsAuPair
Club Player

JDG is like a footballing god at the moment.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

not just at the moment - think Degoey has proven pretty good over a few games now
Pies nailed the 2014 draft - Degoey Maynard & Moore - plenty of games amongst those three

Seeya
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Moore was a father/son selection, so that doesn't count as astute recruiting, just lucky breeding.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Moore is a gun. Jealous

He has found his position in the backline. Hope Battle does the same.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Has Paddy managed to play four AFL games in a row yet?

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 3:11pm
cwrcyn wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 3:04pm No one could have predicted the concussions. His brother at The Swans is now struggling with a concussion issue. You can't blame the club for this situation, and you can't blame the player. It's just an unfortunate turn of events, just like the Neale Daniher situation at Essendon decades ago, to the David Schwarze situation at Melbourne. These situations occur in football at every club at some stage. See Tom Williams at The Bulldogs, Scott Gumbleton at Essendon, and so on. We will never know of Paddy's true capabilities, but the poor guy really has had a wretched run of bad luck and it's pointless comparing him to others who have not had to endure such a terrible series of events.
Well said Colleague! A commonsense, logical and sensitive response to the Paddy McCartin issue. KUDOS!
Welcome back Jiggster - I don't think I've seen you round these parts in a while. Hope to see you and your hat out in full force on Saturday.

Always loyal
To the top
SS Life Member

And to add, Mc Cartin remains on our List which is a statement of intent by both the Club and the player

Paddy is still a very young man - and I for one hope that we see him displaying his skills at AFL level at soonest

This would be the best outcome for Paddy and for the Club

supersaints2
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 2:16pm
magnifisaint wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 1:25pm If only we had drafted DeGoey.
SS would have melted if we didnt take Petracca :shock:
Agree... The pies would have taken Paddy or Pattraca ... before the "goo"

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Very well said. It's what a lot of Saints fans have been saying all along. Bad luck and injuries can ruin, derail or hamper anyone's career. Its unpredictable and it's no ones fault. It has happened to Paddy.

The BS people that think you can be Nostradamus on this sort of thing are just that, full of s*** and are hindsight legends.

Classic example. Hanners was fit and firing for the first 8 years of his career and basically unstoppable. Then he suddenly hits injury hurdles which can never be predicted and it can be devastating on a player.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The media would have forced DeGoey out of StKilda after his off field behaviour. The AFL would have put enormous pressure on us to sack him. His off field behaviour is very very loose.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Saint wagga
Club Player

I’m with the large majority who feel bad for mccartin and his predicament. It sucks for all involved! As it stands right at this very moment in time...as a bottom 4 side, we have had 5 top 10 picks in the last 5 years, this weekend, only 1 (billings) will line up...I don’t care how you spin it...we’ve just torched our bottom out!!

Back to Mccartin, the thing that really bugs me is how the will he play/will he make it/will he be a huge bust is such a negative distraction for the whole club and feels like a ball and chain. That’s he only reason I hope they come out and call it sooner rather than later...it’s 99.999% obvious he won’t have a meaningful career in the AFL. You can take that to the bank

silverhalo
Club Player

I now feel that Paddy needs to give the game away for his sake

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 8:16pm
Classic example. Hanners was fit and firing for the first 8 years of his career and basically unstoppable. Then he suddenly hits injury hurdles which can never be predicted and it can be devastating on a player.
Agree totally with this.
You have a champ of the comp who has 8 great seasons but is then cooked and is in massive decline for two years while suffering multiple soft tissue injuries.

What does a club do in this situation?
I guess you can either keep the star as a diminished version of himself on a large contract or you can find a desperate sucker, orchestrate a salary dump and prey like he’ll that the sucker doesn’t undertake a thorough due diligence on said player.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
guitars4
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 9:07pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 8:16pm
Agree totally with this.
You have a champ of the comp who has 8 great seasons but is then cooked and is in massive decline for two years while suffering multiple soft tissue injuries.

What does a club do in this situation?
I guess you can either keep the star as a diminished version of himself on a large contract or you can find a desperate sucker, orchestrate a salary dump and prey like he’ll that the sucker doesn’t undertake a thorough due diligence on said player.
:wink:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

if degoey had of been picked up by us he would be a hack now. Our coaching staff has a way with new blood.

if it sounds like I'm a bit pissed off with the club then be assured your powers of deduction are intact.
Last edited by The Fireman on Fri 29 Mar 2019 9:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitars4
Club Player

And unlike Dan he doesn't have 5 year deal on big coin to fall back on . So yeah he is very unlucky

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Dan will be back and I personally believe he still has plenty of good footy in him. Everything else is pure speculation. Lets back him in and hope he gets his body right instead of constantly bagging the decision to recruit him. I really hope he and the club make some so called supporters eat a bit of humble pie.

As for Paddy, he will do what is best for himself based on the A grade med advice he is currently receiving.

Total = 1.
guitars4
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 10:18pm Dan will be back and I personally believe he still has plenty of good footy in him. Everything else is pure speculation. Lets back him in and hope he gets his body right instead of constantly bagging the decision to recruit him. I really hope he and the club make some so called supporters eat a bit of humble pie.

As for Paddy, he will do what is best for himself based on the A grade med advice he is currently receiving.
Yeah well Ted you can believe what you want & I will believe what I see & if he comes good then I will eat as much humble pie as you can feed me :D