GT Fears for Saints' Future

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: GT Fears for Saints' Future

degruch wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:38pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:14pm ...and since the inception of the AFL we have basically been better than Richmond and Carlton (2 big sides of the AFL).
Well, I would like to see the metrics on that...please indulge me.
ClubSaints Essendon Carlton Richmond Collingwood
Avg. Ladder Position9.38.31010.28.0
Saints Essendon Carlton Richmond Collingwood
Finals Played2532221333
Finals Won111511619
Finals Appearances10179714
Wooden Spoons21521
Flags02212
McLellan Trophys25112
GFs33316
Caught Cheating02100

Now this isn't intended to be a dick swinging contest to see who is the better club. Clearly, the 0 in the 'Flags' column rules the Saints out of that type of contest. These are just figures that show that we've clearly outperformed Carlton and Richmond for the past 30 years in terms of 'sustained success' or 'long term performance', and aren't all that far behind Essendon either.

Our average ladder position is better, we've had more finals appearances than them, won more finals than them, played in more GFs than them and finished on top more than them.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:41pm
degruch wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:38pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:14pm ...and since the inception of the AFL we have basically been better than Richmond and Carlton (2 big sides of the AFL).
Well, I would like to see the metrics on that...please indulge me.
ClubSaints Essendon Carlton Richmond Collingwood
Avg. Ladder Position9.38.31010.28.0
Saints Essendon Carlton Richmond Collingwood
Finals Played2532221333
Finals Won111511619
Finals Appearances10179714
Wooden Spoons21521
Flags02212
McLellan Trophys25112
GFs33316
Caught Cheating02100

Now this isn't intended to be a dick swinging contest to see who is the better club. Clearly, the 0 in the 'Flags' column rules the Saints out of that type of contest. These are just figures that show that we've clearly outperformed Carlton and Richmond for the past 30 years in terms of 'sustained success' or 'long term performance', and aren't all that far behind Essendon either.

Our average ladder position is better, we've had more finals appearances than them, won more finals than them, played in more GFs than them and finished on top more than them.
Ah, the 'AFL' sub-clause gets me every time.

Love the 'Caught Cheating' stat :)

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:43pm

I was going to include the 'Singed Dwarves' stat, but didn't think that was fair on the rest of the comp.

GilsAuPair
Club Player

Collingwood have talked a big game but I think we all have to admit they have delivered based on those numbers ...
19 finals won. 2 flags.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:50pm
degruch wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:43pm

I was going to include the 'Singed Dwarves' stat, but didn't think that was fair on the rest of the comp.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shaggy
Club Player

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 11:48pm
Shaggy wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 11:31pm I do love GT and think most of what he says makes alot of sense.
[media]https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/03/27/ ... fl-future/[/media]
"If you did a straw poll on which club tends to make the most outrageous mistakes, I think St Kilda would be regarded by most to be top of the tree.

Thomas also questioned the Saints' decision to appoint administrators Simon Lethlean and Graeme Allan.

Former AFL operations manager Lethlean was hired to head up St Kilda's football department after resigning from the governing body because of "inappropriate relationships with two younger women who work in the AFL industry".

"Two of the people that are seemingly in the most control at St Kilda have had some quite serious allegations levelled against them at AFL and then (have) been booted out of there or had been suspended or whatever and now they're running (the) St Kilda Footy Club.
I respect GT's right to his view.

He does not spam his view as fact on a daily basis.

I am glad we are finally employing persons on whether they are good at their job rather than whether they are squeaky clean.

And i still love GT despite the differing views on somethings.

Shaggy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:33pm
I think GT clearly moves things for you....whatever floats your boat I guess...
I’m not moved by narcissistic megalomaniacs who us my club as their plaything and who manipulate gullible supporters...
Alan isn’t any of those things.....he’s just not up to the job....but hey....if the club are stupid enough to offer contract extensions for poor performance.....that’s not Alan’s fault.
[/quote]

Amazing you are still so anti after all these years.

Shaggy
Club Player

Last edited by Shaggy on Sat 30 Mar 2019 12:15am, edited 2 times in total.

Shaggy
Club Player

double post

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

thomas says 2 of our top guys had serious allegations levelled at them, now running the club.
And then there was Butterss, who allegedly was abusing substances while holding the top job.
GT himselft borrowed money from Butterss and caused a bit of bad feeling too.?????

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I think there may have been an issue around that money. Not sure if Thomas paid it all back, from what some have told me.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:31pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 8:27pm
One gets a sense of the reality of the ego when you make claims like we’re more successful than Richmond since the inception of the AFL.

I think all that does is put some context around how ridiculous the whole 'my club is powerful' thing is.

Clubs are not powerful.

Winning does not make you powerful.

What makes you powerful, is the AFL putting you in the primetime slots.

And THE only way you EVER get in the primetime slots is by pulling huge crowds every single week.

We have NEVER, EVER done that. And we NEVER, EVER will.

We have outperformed Richmond, Carlton and are on very close par with Collingwood and Essendon for the past 20 years - yet we have NEVER, EVER pulled even close to the same crowds as they do.

So guess what?

They get ANZAC Day, ANZAC Day Eve, Queens Birthday, Dreamtime at the G, Season Opener, Good Friday, Easter Monday, etc. etc.

We get squat.

That will never, EVER change.

AND WHO CARES??

I don't know why half of you want it to, or even give a stuff. I don't know why you put your own sense of worth into how many members a sporting club you follow has, it's utterly moronic.

But either way, good luck to you.

Fact is though - IT WILL NEVRR, EVER CHANGE.

This whole absolute guff about 'oh boo hoo, our admin are so bad cause my friends win flags and I don't, oh boo hoo, they're the reason my club sucks and I'm gonna go on the internet and flame them for it until everyone agrees with me!' is just embarrassing as a sports fan. In fact, it's embarrassing as an adult human being.

It's like rocking up to a club with Liam Hemsworth and whinging that the chicks are all talking to him instead of you.
It's like blaming your hairdresser for it, or your s*** clothes, or your cursed bald gene.

Dude, you're f****** ugly and fat, and the dude next to you isn't. Live with it you f****** loser.

The reality is, head to head, you will never, EVER get more roots than him. EVER.

So you need to learn to live with the little wins. Hey, you might get a root one night, but it will only ever be whilst he has scabies or is in a full body cast or something. So dude, take your chance like the Bulldogs did!

Grow up Saints fans. You're embarrassing yourselves.
I reckon you can never say 'Never Ever'

Who would have ever thought you'd get over 50,000 to a GF of the women's AFL. Even if it was free, I reckon there wouldn't have been many guessing there'd be such a huge crowd. People love winners. People back winners and people go to the footy to cheer on winners. The Adelaide crowd wanted to be a part of it because they were hot favourites and it gave them a chance to sing their stupid f****** club song

Hawthorn and Geelong have had a lot of success recently and that's why they don't fit your narrative about the traditional power clubs. Hawks have such a huge Membership because they have won flags. Same with Geelong. They get their Easter Monday game because of their recent successes. There is no reason why St Kilda cannot learn and emulate their systems and processes

No matter what people say about GT, all I know is that his legacy meant that the Saints were a very successful footy club on field for more than 5 years after his departure. If each and every coach we employ thinks about sustained success and leaving a legacy then maybe we can have a chance of winning a few premierships and remaining relevant in this competition

ListManager
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:14pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:07pm Grant Thomas might well be entitled to his opinion but what is he trying to achieve?

Pouring scorn in mainstream media on the club that he supposedly loves is an act of treachery and to then go on and suggest that he could become the club's "Mr Fixit" is a pathetic joke. How can anyone take him seriously and SEN should realise that GT is a nobody who never was...to me he will always be remembered for his treachery in the knifing of Malcolm Blight to have himself elevated to senior coach.

What's with all the Doom and Gloom on this forum??? St Kilda has for as long as I have been a supporter and member been on a roller coaster ride, sometimes up, more often down, and that's the way it is and will more than likely continue to be in the future. It takes courage, strength and loyalty to be a Saints supporter, and if anyone is truly convinced that the team in 2019 is going to continue to fail, then save yourself the anger and agony and go and support another team...
Great post. Totally agree. s*** times go with good times and since the inception of the AFL we have basically been better than Richmond and Carlton (2 big sides of the AFL).
This is a stupid statement. It has nothing to do with being better. It has all to do with a certain $12Million. Richmond are one of the richest clubs in the league and Carlton are in a much better financial position than us. Wake up FFS.

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Yeah mate. I am awake and the Saints have been better on field compared to a few clubs since the start of the AFL. Stats are stats. Facts are facts. 👍

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Richmond have won a flag.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Fear away Grant, you are becoming irrelevant

stonecold
SS Life Member

ListManager wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2019 6:59pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:14pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:07pm Grant Thomas might well be entitled to his opinion but what is he trying to achieve?

Pouring scorn in mainstream media on the club that he supposedly loves is an act of treachery and to then go on and suggest that he could become the club's "Mr Fixit" is a pathetic joke. How can anyone take him seriously and SEN should realise that GT is a nobody who never was...to me he will always be remembered for his treachery in the knifing of Malcolm Blight to have himself elevated to senior coach.

What's with all the Doom and Gloom on this forum??? St Kilda has for as long as I have been a supporter and member been on a roller coaster ride, sometimes up, more often down, and that's the way it is and will more than likely continue to be in the future. It takes courage, strength and loyalty to be a Saints supporter, and if anyone is truly convinced that the team in 2019 is going to continue to fail, then save yourself the anger and agony and go and support another team...
Great post. Totally agree. s*** times go with good times and since the inception of the AFL we have basically been better than Richmond and Carlton (2 big sides of the AFL).
This is a stupid statement. It has nothing to do with being better. It has all to do with a certain $12Million. Richmond are one of the richest clubs in the league and Carlton are in a much better financial position than us. Wake up FFS.
Is that you GT????? ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯