McCartin & Roberton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin & Roberton

It will be interesting to see if Paddy takes a similar step - delaying retirement by taking the season or year off to monitor his health.
The thing is, if we ever play a high stakes game and Paddy is in it, of course the opposition will try to play through him and perhaps destabilise our team in that match.
Eight concussions since 2015 is no joke, considering most on this board have probably never even had one. Hazards of his profession maybe, but he definitely has a weakness with regards to getting concussed, and I cannot see him getting through the 2019 season without him receiving another one, I'm sorry but I just can't.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Paddy can't afford to take a year off at this stage of his career. Not in AFL anyway. He takes a year off he's done as far as I'm concerned. He's missed too much footy already. He's taken 1/2 years off before and it hasn't changed anything.

I personally think the club are putting off the inevitable. Robbo's news was bad enough, 2 in a week would not be a great look for the club. I reckon you'll find in 2-3 weeks time that Paddy quietly retires once the season is under way.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 4:54pm
He's taken 1/2 years off before and it hasn't changed anything.
Spot on. It hasn't changed....Same thing where he took 1/2 year off right back at TAC level in the year we drafted him.... but the testing and focus on concussions has

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97079&p=1777712#p1777712

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think every should just take their focus off Paddy. Everybody.

saint6709
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 5:29pm I think every should just take their focus off Paddy. Everybody.
I don’t think there is that much focus - I have a life and there’s plenty of other things to think about if you want to be specific about following the saints BUT I think for the good of Paddy, the club and the fans it’s unfortunately time for him to hang up the boots

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 10:53pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 5:29pm I think every should just take their focus off Paddy. Everybody.
I don’t think there is that much focus - I have a life and there’s plenty of other things to think about if you want to be specific about following the saints BUT I think for the good of Paddy, the club and the fans it’s unfortunately time for him to hang up the boots
He has a contract, the Doctors have an opinion and the Club/AFL have a duty of care.
Specifically IMHO, if our program is focused on him being at FF, we need a new focus. It shouldn't really be much of a change to make. Move Marshall or Bruce to FF and put Battle at CHF would be my choice.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

After a little bit of reading in the last hour I feel I have the right of reply and to add a little clarification. Take it on face value and obviously up to you whether you believe it.
My comments re Paddy and Robbo were made fairly much at the end of the game . Paddy corked his arse during the first quarter and after the collision was fine. He would have gone on in a “real game” as he passed the initial concussion test, but history made the medical boys more cautious. It was only a fair time after that delayed concussion became evident. He’ll be back.
Robbo obviously was wonky after the game but after debriefing, showering etc was initially cleared by medical staff. No ambulance etc was called. Again history made the medical staff concerned and later it was decided to go to hospital.
I state it as I see it, I never intend to profess to know everything.
My opinion, we’ll win the first two games.

To the top
SS Life Member

Contributions by certain who contribute to this Forum are appreciated, starting with Saint Brat and Tony 74

They are the reason you periodically scan - and occasionally contribute

I would trust that Mc Cartin will be ready to go because I have the view that Membrey as the 3rd “tall” (because he is not, he plays tall) behind Mc Cartin and Bruce is our best and most dangerous structure

So I am pleased to note the reference to Mc Cartin

guitars4
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Sun 17 Mar 2019 7:22pm After a little bit of reading in the last hour I feel I have the right of reply and to add a little clarification. Take it on face value and obviously up to you whether you believe it.
My comments re Paddy and Robbo were made fairly much at the end of the game . Paddy corked his arse during the first quarter and after the collision was fine. He would have gone on in a “real game” as he passed the initial concussion test, but history made the medical boys more cautious. It was only a fair time after that delayed concussion became evident. He’ll be back.
Robbo obviously was wonky after the game but after debriefing, showering etc was initially cleared by medical staff. No ambulance etc was called. Again history made the medical staff concerned and later it was decided to go to hospital.
All due respect Tony but a bloke that has been concussed as much as Paddy has in his short career it seem's a little strange that you think he should continue to play. I have stated this on a few occasions that the club has a duty of care & to allow him to keep playing is a very serious risk that should not be taken. If he continues to play & something worse happens the club will have blood on their hands & for that reason I think they have no choice but to make him give it away but again in IMO only. If he was my son I would not want him to continue. :(

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

I’m not giving my opinion. I’m telling you his initial thoughts. Independent advice and family will ultimately help him with his decision.

guitars4
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Sun 17 Mar 2019 8:23pm I’m not giving my opinion. I’m telling you his initial thoughts. Independent advice and family will ultimately help him with his decision.
Of course he will wan't to continue it's his lively hood & his dream but even if he want's to continue I cannot see how the club can allow him to. I think their hands are tied .

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 17 Mar 2019 7:22pm After a little bit of reading in the last hour I feel I have the right of reply and to add a little clarification. Take it on face value and obviously up to you whether you believe it.

Thanks for your input Tony. It is always valued. Though like any other poster it will always draw comment.

With Robbo, based on what Robbo and other have said it was not just "history made the medical staff concerned " as Robbo and and others have stated that the implanted device in his chest went off. If that is the case, and it would seem to be, then once that was known he was always going to get a post-game review.

Now speculation on my part would be that they still don't know exactly why it happens, and that as it happened in the course of a game again it means that they cannot to a reasonable degree know that it will not again, that that is why Robbo is not now playing. I guess they are hoping that by seasons end that more will be known to allow him to play, or even that the issue may be resolved. Now I cannot offer a medical opinion on this, but my gut feeling would be that it will difficult for him to play again.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

There's simply no way I can see Paddy continuing.

Given how increasingly prone he is to concussion/s, there is no way that the AFL's insurers would be prepared to cover him.

So here's the chance for our club to score some significant brownie points. From the articles we've been linked to, footy appears to not only be Paddy's passion, but so much of how he sees and values himself. Therefore, IMHO, the club really really needs to get behind Paddy and do everything it can, utilizing all its connections and influence, to help Paddy find a new and meaningful career after footy.

Seems we're already doing that with Robbo'. I agree with those who have asked what another year off will change - unless there's some significant new and relevant medical breakthrough. At least with Robbo' he is leaving at the peak of his powers. Few elite footballers get to do that.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Very little main stream media coverage on the Roberton situation.
Rance, Reiwoldt (J) or Dusty fart and they are front page news!

Just saying....

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 10:41am Very little main stream media coverage on the Roberton situation.
Rance, Reiwoldt (J) or Dusty fart and they are front page news!

Just saying....
Richmond has scale and we don't.

It’s business..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Crossy66
Club Player

Pretty straight forward. After the game both were ok by normal measurements - thats what Tony communicated. But given their histories, club erred on the side of caution and sent them off for observation (thankfully) and what transpired , transpired.
No problem with any of that

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Just thought I would highlight the last line.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Round 1 all you can hope for is getting the points as it’s always incoherent in terms of results... snuck over the line which is good considering Moorabbin would have been burnt to the ground if we’d lost.

Essendon have come out looking they’ve gone backwards this year. Would be the early front runner for most disappointing side

Crossy66
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2019 8:53pm
Just thought I would highlight the last line.
Ok, so do you think we will stretch it to 3 :)

desperados

Good work Tony74, not many were prepared to predict 2 from 2! I am also hoping for 3 from 3 and for that pattern to continue
As for Paddy, he is clearly a talent who is unlikely to fulfill his potential as an AFL player due to the number of concussions already suffered and the likelihood of him suffering more. He is a young man and has plenty of other doors which he should investigate.
Robbo is also a young man (unlike me) but I also have implanted devices for an irregular heartbeat condition which is now in abeyance for an indeterminate time. Unfortunately, the likelhiood of him playing again is low.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Robbo said he was fine, but he felt his defib go off. His chest went bang.

So he knew there was an issue and so did the medico's that he would have told.

Paddy needs to take three months off minimum. Seek three external expert opinions. If two out of the three recommend retiring, then that should make up his mind. I am inclined to exclude him from our playing future.

By the way, Petracca may be getting on the park but he is turning into the most overrated spud to play in many, many years. Paddy, it looks will never even get the chance to be overrated.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Petracca needs to stop eating hsp's and his mum's lasagne. Unfit!!

stonecold
SS Life Member

bigred wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2019 11:09pm Robbo said he was fine, but he felt his defib go off. His chest went bang.

So he knew there was an issue and so did the medico's that he would have told.

Paddy needs to take three months off minimum. Seek three external expert opinions. If two out of the three recommend retiring, then that should make up his mind. I am inclined to exclude him from our playing future.

By the way, Petracca may be getting on the park but he is turning into the most overrated spud to play in many, many years. Paddy, it looks will never even get the chance to be overrated.
Said it for along time now, finally others are catching on about Christine, better late than never!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯