McCartin & Roberton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin & Roberton

Saint wagga wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 11:35am
tony74 wrote: Tue 12 Mar 2019 1:42pm Paddy was fine during the second half and even after the game. It was only much later that he felt crook. As for Robbo initial thoughts are that’s it’s nothing to do with the ticker. But I reiterate , initial thoughts.
Todays Age article talking about Roberton completely rubbish's Tony info, so either our medicos are completely incompentent/negligent (Very unlikely, our medical team is on par with all other clubs, they are all much of a muchness) or Tony's source has NFI or Tony was just making stuff up...As I said earlier... as if initial thoughts would be it's nothing to do with his ticker given the Patients history. Just total bollocks
I assuming its the Gleeson article

He bangs on about the defib going off however there is absolutely no evidence it did

Sounds like Roberton maybe had an issue with low blood pressure hence feeling a bit dizzy - probably happens quite a lot to many players - maybe he didnt drink enough fluids or eat enough before hand

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

ummm Gleeson wasnt banging on about it going off in Roberton - he was reporting the comments from the sports cardiologist and the increased events for defibrilators in sports people - it was a good journalist informative article

as for the above post - pretty sure the point being the initial "snippet" was saying Mcartin had a corky and Robertons heart is fine.

Seeya
Saint wagga
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 4:02pm
tony74 wrote: Tue 12 Mar 2019 1:42pm Paddy was fine during the second half and even after the game. It was only much later that he felt crook. As for Robbo initial thoughts are that’s it’s nothing to do with the ticker. But I reiterate , initial thoughts.
Todays Age article talking about Roberton completely rubbish's Tony info, so either our medicos are completely incompentent/negligent (Very unlikely, our medical team is on par with all other clubs, they are all much of a muchness) or Tony's source has NFI or Tony was just making stuff up...As I said earlier... as if initial thoughts would be it's nothing to do with his ticker given the Patients history. Just total bollocks
The reality is that all clubs play down injuries and have done as long as i can remember. Secondly, last i checked, a person's health records were private, so it's none of our business and clubs have a duty to protect the privacy of its employees. Its highly likely that the internal word was" everything is ok" when the reality may be different.
If you take injury reports with a grain of salt you wont get bent out of shape when what was said wasn't true
Just calling out a rubbish post pretending to somehow have some weight or authority as being itk. Nothing more, nothing less

Crossy66
Club Player

Saint wagga wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 6:54pm
The reality is that all clubs play down injuries and have done as long as i can remember. Secondly, last i checked, a person's health records were private, so it's none of our business and clubs have a duty to protect the privacy of its employees. Its highly likely that the internal word was" everything is ok" when the reality may be different.
If you take injury reports with a grain of salt you wont get bent out of shape when what was said wasn't true
Just calling out a rubbish post pretending to somehow have some weight or authority as being itk. Nothing more, nothing less
No pretending mate, pretty sure tony74 is a confirmed bone fide itk.
Based on track record his comments will be bang on. He is saying what the first or initial reaction was subject to a more thorough testing. I.e. a hospital stay for monitoring

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Patrick McCartin may not play in the AFL again, according to Tom Morris.

The Sportsday newsbreaker said the St Kilda young gun was weighing up the risk in playing on after he suffered yet another concussion against the Western Bulldogs on Sunday during the pre-season.

“The club will vehemently deny this, but my information is that he is strongly considering his future in the game,” Morris said.

Don't know who Tom Morris is or what Paper/media agency he works for. Never heard of The Sportsday

GilsAuPair
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 7:21pm
Based on track record his comments will be bang on. He is saying what the first or initial reaction was subject to a more thorough testing. I.e. a hospital stay for monitoring
Tony74 is a confirmed PR person.
That's all.
The reality is the effects of concussion can arise hours after the initial impact so nobody can say anyone is 'fine' until at least 24 hours has passed.

Also if you watch the replay it's clear that Paddy is completely disoriented when the trainers first arrive.

So tony74 saying he was 'fine' straight after the match is entirely meaningless.
Anyone with genuine knowledge of a footy club knows this.

Raph Goat Clarke
Club Player

I hate to post this but...

jeez I hope he is ok. This possible long term injury/retirees before the season has started is really disappointing given how optimistic the club is moving forward pushing us to finals again.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Tue 12 Mar 2019 12:26pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 12 Mar 2019 8:37am At this stage I am not worried about Roberton. He didn't collapse and played the game out. Afterwards he felt wonky. That could be due to multiple reasons, most likely playing a full AFL game in a year or his body not used to it. I will wait to see what the cardiologists say from the data they collected.

Paddy in the other hand does get his head crunched in the tackle. Depends which replay you see. But the concern the was his lack of awareness. He is in a bad position and doesn't leap at all. I don't see him having a position up forward so why not try him up back

I think it more likely that the damage was done when the back of his head hit the ground,
Yeah, his head jerked heavily, would've caused whiplash. He didn't attempt to protect himself on the way down and hit hard.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Raph Goat Clarke wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 7:58pm I hate to post this but...

jeez I hope he is ok. This possible long term injury/retirees before the season has started is really disappointing given how optimistic the club is moving forward pushing us to finals again.
This has the potential to be absolutely diabolical for our club. If Dylan has to retire - so be it; at least he will not be at risk of further heart episodes - I for one would hate to see him Ill on the field again. But ...

He is one of the 3 highest paid players at the club and has just signed a big contract (3 yrs still left to run from memory). So, not only is he in our best 2 or 3 players - he also takes a big chunk of our cap.

I hope against hope that Dylan has a long career ahead of him with us but I have a seriously bad feeling about how this is going to end.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Since when does a Doctor decide what you can and cant do - he gives an opinion and then you are the one who decides.

Nice use of adjectives there by the Stevens to dramatise the article

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Exactly what i thought

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 8:44pm

Since when does a Doctor decide what you can and cant do - he gives an opinion and then you are the one who decides.

Nice use of adjectives there by the Stevens to dramatise the article
Really? Are you actually being serious? If so ... wow.

I’ll tell you why the Drs opinion is important ...

If the Dr says it’s all over and Dylan decides to play on then he voids the clause in his standard AFL player contract that will enable him to receive the balance of his contract as a result of a career ending injury (eg Dane Swan breaking his foot against Sydney).

And it’s paid as a lump sum.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Crossy66
Club Player

GilsAuPair wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 7:47pm
Crossy66 wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 7:21pm
Tony74 is a confirmed PR person.
That's all.
The reality is the effects of concussion can arise hours after the initial impact so nobody can say anyone is 'fine' until at least 24 hours has passed.

Also if you watch the replay it's clear that Paddy is completely disoriented when the trainers first arrive.

So tony74 saying he was 'fine' straight after the match is entirely meaningless.
Anyone with genuine knowledge of a footy club knows this.
I dont think you are saying anything different to tony 74 after the game he seemed fine, later on he went down hill.
I didnt read it that he was saying he was fine period.
The criticism of the post is therefore a little harsh imo. Either way, he is inner sanctum and i value his contribution to this site
Last edited by Crossy66 on Wed 13 Mar 2019 10:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

What SaintMatt said, +
If the medical advice is no, and Robbo says he'll stay on,
the club will never select him because they will be failing in their duty of care if they let him take the field.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

And this is why the reason to recruit Dan from Sydney was ill-advised.
Obviously we don't really know what is going on at the club with regards to Dylan and Paddy, but there had to be some lingering doubts as to their health, and playing a contact sport at the elite level. I wish them all the best and hope they are ok, and I also hope that they play out long careers at the Saints, but you add this to Josh Bruce coming back from a broken leg, and Billy's injuries and you have to ask yourself why we would chance it?
So now, on top of the concerns we already had, we have to wait for Daniel Hannebury to maybe play after what must have been an interrupted pre-season anyway. I mean why didn't we just go ahead and recruit Dan Menzel too. He would've been a good pick up.

The guys we had out there did a great job in the mock warfare in the JLT, so we just have to hope that we have unearthed some talent to keep the home fires burning this season.

But I'm worried. I really am.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Wed 13 Mar 2019 9:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Samuraisaint, I'm worried as well, but I can't change anything- all I can do is watch each game, be happy with any wins, and be sad at each loss, and vote at the AGM (or an EGM if such is called).

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What injured top 3 draft pick looks be goods this year?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I'm hearing (via the Mrs from facebook) that Roberton will hang them up and Paddy is out for the year. I hope not on both counts but would prefer that McCartin can still play but be traded at the end of the year as I'm not a fan. When playing IMHO he is just not strong enough or resilient enough.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 10:15pm I'm hearing (via the Mrs from facebook) that Roberton will hang them up and Paddy is out for the year. I hope not on both counts but would prefer that McCartin can still play but be traded at the end of the year as I'm not a fan. When playing IMHO he is just not strong enough or resilient enough.
Paddy traded for what?

WHo would want him???

Roo said he had poor technique in protecting his head.

I’ve had a gutful of this. He’s not a first year kid anymore.

He’s done. He’s had his chance and isn’t made for AFL footy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

If paddy takes a year off its game over for him.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
GilsAuPair
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 9:18pm
I dont think you are saying anything different to tony 74 after the game he seemed fine, later on he went down hill.
I didnt read it that he was saying he was fine period.
The criticism of the post is therefore a little harsh imo. Either way, he is inner sanctum and i value his contribution to this site
Re: JLT2 Match Thread Saints v Dogs 2019

Post by tony74 » Sun 10 Mar 2019 8:01pm
Most importantly no injuries. Paddy a corky to the arse ( that kept him off more than the head knock), Robbo a bit dizzy at the end . And Jackie boy is rarin to go.

GilsAuPair
Club Player

Both lads run serious medical risks by continuing to play what is a very very tough sport.

I'm not sure why people have such a hard time accepting the obvious.
Last edited by GilsAuPair on Thu 14 Mar 2019 12:08am, edited 1 time in total.

guitars4
Club Player

I'm not sure how this will pan out. All I can say is the player's well being comes before club success. I would love them both to be a walk up starter's for round one but we have to be realistic . IMO only I think both need to sit down with their family's & make measured calculated decision on their playing future. I 'm no expert on concussion or heart related illness but football is a game but your family isn't.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Off-season 2018 was the last opportunity to trade Paddy

Harves Man
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 11:29pm Off-season 2018 was the last opportunity to trade Paddy
Agree completely. This is a sad, sad situation - just like Kozi. And like Kozi, it will end the same way (only sooner). It is over for Paddy.