Screw you Doom and Gloom - let the games begin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

beebarry
Club Player

Screw you Doom and Gloom - let the games begin

Enough of the doom and gloom already

I am excited that on the weekend OUR beloved Saints will run out and play a game - doesn't matter its JLT ...a proper match .

Its easy to get caught up in the negative media hype, easy to be a victim and easy to have no expectations ....F that .....I'm up and about .....

Each year brings fresh hope and another chance to improve.

Sure Carlisle is a loss if he's out for a while, and sure Jack would be a loss if he needs time to deal with his personal stuff ....but what about the potential of Parker, Hind and Young ? and what about how good Jade could be, what might Ed Philips and Ben Long do this year ? Could this be the year that Paddy makes everyone eat their words? And what impact might Brucey and Robbo make after such a long time out? Who else might step up? Maybe Hanners will be a gun? Who knows? That's the point of it, the reason to be excited. Potential isn't a dirty word, it's something to cheer on and hope for.

I don't understand the point of going into the season with no hopes and dreams. I am realistic about our chances to win the flag or even make the finals, but if I cant dream, if I can't hold out a tiny bit of hope that maybe it will all click like in 1997 or 2009/10 or other years when we were hot, then what's the point?

I just renewed my membership, albeit late this year, and again went for the Premium L2 seats for me and my 6 and 8-year-old kids - who think the Saints are awesome, that we can win every game, that just seeing them kick some goals is worth the price of admission. That love ALL saints players, even the ones that are maligned and underperforming - Dunstan, McKenzie, Savage, Paddy, take your pick.... ...they are SAINTS players and they are therefore worthy of our respect and support. ... I love that ....

So call me a rose-tinted optimist, call me old fashioned, call me whatever you like as long as its a Saints supporter.

That's all that matters in the end.

Go, Saints.

It's a brand new day.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Screw you Doom and Gloom - let the games begin

2019 Call to Arms :twisted:

Carn the Mighty Saints!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
AuckSaint
Club Player

Agree 100%

1 of the 10,000 NZ Saints members
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Nice OP.

Agreed. Lets just see what happens. We are in a way better mood, vibe and position as a club compared to the awful season last year.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

There are 21 jobs currently listed on SEEK for guillotine operator. I thought that by Round Six there would be 22, but now, with this all going on, I think we'll have to press 're-set expectations' instead of 'chop'.

Go Saints.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
outside66
Club Player

I don't think this is the right forum for the OP - far too positive!

I love it mate and agree wholeheartedly.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

See you on level 2. I may be more realistic than optimistic but still put my money where my mouth is and my bum in a seat.
I agree we have some talent coming thru but we have one more year of pain. Actually I'll say half a season. I've written off Carlisle this season so I can't be disappointed. Steven will play sooner rather than later infact I think Max he will miss one round.
The mature age guys will be fighting for spots with Parker most likely to play. This weekend will be interesting.
Second half of the year will see an easier draw and maybe Max king getting games so their are positives. Good draft pick gets us a good outside mid this year as well

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm afraid that the Doom and Gloom will coming when the games actually begin.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 28 Feb 2019 3:52pm There are 21 jobs currently listed on SEEK for guillotine operator. I thought that by Round Six there would be 22, but now, with this all going on, I think we'll have to press 're-set expectations' instead of 'chop'.

Go Saints.
Round 6 is when it all happens. Everyone's talking about it over at big footy and I know for a fact the board members post over there so it's getting exciting. Not many sleeps now.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Not long now untilwe get to see some actual proof of the pudding in relation to our traning, new recruits, game play etc.
Not hopign for a win, rather hoping for better structures, better ball movement, improved accuracy, not blindly playing on

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Well, we got a win.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 6:36pm Well, we got a win.
True. Helped to have half of Norf’s side out as opposed to only a third of ours.

Hard to read into it due to the heat. I hope we held back a bit due the heat factor.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 10:13pm
saynta wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 6:36pm Well, we got a win.
True. Helped to have half of Norf’s side out as opposed to only a third of ours.

Hard to read into it due to the heat. I hope we held back a bit due the heat factor.
And we won the magoos match convincingly too. It feels a lot better winning than losing, that's for sure.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
jaxons
Club Player

To explain where we are at as a club, word is we sang the song after beating North in a practice game on the weekend :D

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2019 11:25am To explain where we are at as a club, word is we sang the song after beating North in a practice game on the weekend :D
I did hear that too Jaxons and raised my eyebrows at that.

Then again - we're coming from so far back that they might as well latch on to whatever they can. Winning is a habit and even more so in elite sport. I'd like to think that this is what the 'singing the song' thing was about - that's what I'm hanging on to.

If not - we're in all sorts ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Winning culture there. We won we sung. We celebrate the good things and work on the negatives. I like it

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Its different but I had no issue that they sung the song. Its a good show of unity by the club. I think I would be right in saying that they didn't really sing it just because of the win. We have pro coaches in Richo, Ratten, Lade, etc. They don't take this sort of s*** lightly.

We had been attacked and written off by footy commentators all last week and totally unethical BS rumours were floating about regarding Steven and Hannebery. Plus Carlisle went down with a potential long term injury.

The club unfairly copped it and they shoved it back up their arse. I'm actually really glad many are writing us off already as its great motivation for the group and entire club.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2019 12:33pm Its different but I had no issue that they sung the song. Its a good show of unity by the club. I think I would be right in saying that they didn't really sing it just because of the win. We have pro coaches in Richo, Ratten, Lade, etc. They don't take this sort of s*** lightly.

We had been attacked and written off by footy commentators all last week and totally unethical BS rumours were floating about regarding Steven and Hannebery. Plus Carlisle went down with a potential long term injury.

The club unfairly copped it and they shoved it back up their arse. I'm actually really glad many are writing us off already as its great motivation for the group and entire club.
Good post.

barneyboyz
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2019 1:15pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2019 12:33pm Its different but I had no issue that they sung the song. Its a good show of unity by the club. I think I would be right in saying that they didn't really sing it just because of the win. We have pro coaches in Richo, Ratten, Lade, etc. They don't take this sort of s*** lightly.

Good post.
I'm with you on this, it was a statement of solidarity rather than of beating Norf. This will build, one step at a time sure, but I very rarely saw anything worth getting excited about last season, we've got to start somewhere :D

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
jaxons
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2019 12:18pm Winning culture there. We won we sung. We celebrate the good things and work on the negatives. I like it
It is actually one of the more embarrassing things we have done as a club.
You should not be singing the song after winning a practice game, imagine Hawthorn doing this.....please!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Good idea to sing the song- we need to work on a winning culture, and anything that bonds the team and reminds them how good winning is, should be done- doesn't matter how minor the occasion is.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Tue 05 Mar 2019 10:04am
DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2019 12:18pm Winning culture there. We won we sung. We celebrate the good things and work on the negatives. I like it
You should not be singing the song after winning a practice game, imagine Hawthorn doing this.....please!
We are not Hawthorn, we are St Kilda so I don't understand the comparison. We are not used to winning or celebrating as the Hawks are. It will be a billy Slater initiative to celebrate as a team and to get a taste for victory even if it is a small one

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

jaxons wrote: Tue 05 Mar 2019 10:04am
I thought Slater was brought in for several reasons, one being to make more effort celebrating goals etc.
This is surely a logical extension of that?
Practice game notwithstanding, it was bloody hot, and it was a win against a team that had our measure last year.

Sing lads, SING!

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Saints should and will do what they do want. f*** the other 17 clubs and how they do things.

As I explained above, it wasn't sung because they won.

Total = 1.