It's official......Paddy will make it

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

silverhalo
Club Player

It's official......Paddy will make it

I've probably been Paddy McCartin's biggest knocker over the past couple of years but for me the best thing to come out of yesterday's game was Paddy's performance and the potential upside to his game.

Let's face it, he's been overweight the whole time he's been at the club, but now he's trimmed down considerably and it's made a hell of a difference. He's moving a lot more freely, more mobile, greater second and third efforts, his kicking seems to have improved out of sight and he seems a lot more confident in his marking.

I am just so wrapt for him and look forward to seeing how he progresses this year....the kid's gunna make it :D :D :D :D

ListManager
Club Player

Re: It's official......Paddy will make it

silverhalo wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 12:13pm I've probably been Paddy McCartin's biggest knocker over the past couple of years but for me the best thing to come out of yesterday's game was Paddy's performance and the potential upside to his game.

Let's face it, he's been overweight the whole time he's been at the club, but now he's trimmed down considerably and it's made a hell of a difference. He's moving a lot more freely, more mobile, greater second and third efforts, his kicking seems to have improved out of sight and he seems a lot more confident in his marking.

I am just so wrapt for him and look forward to seeing how he progresses this year....the kid's gunna make it :D :D :D :D
Based on 1 practice game he is going to make it?
You have no idea!

<One day ban for commenting on a poster - note that this poster could have counter argue the point but decided to degrade the poster>

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Congratulations to Paddy. He has been diligent and put in the effort. He has given himself every chance to move his career forwards from here. The kid is hungry and wants to make it. Its all you can ask for. Fingers crossed he remains injury free.

Supporters need to be patient with these kids. They can still take 5-6 years to really come good from when they were drafted (especially big fellas). Everyone develops differently and some take longer than others to handle the harshness of AFL level footy.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Gershwin
Club Player

ListManager wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 12:59pm
silverhalo wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 12:13pm I've probably been Paddy McCartin's biggest knocker over the past couple of years but for me the best thing to come out of yesterday's game was Paddy's performance and the potential upside to his game.

You have no idea!
You can tell that a player is fitter and more mobile. Fair comment from silverhalo.

summertime and the living is easy ........
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Many commentators pointed out the new rules will help Paddy.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Premium89
Club Player

Winning the match certainly helps - he’s always has skill and a good footy brain - but now it looks like his body and confidence have caught up.

Here’s hoping the body and confidence hold up for the season!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

You have no idea!

<One day ban for commenting on a poster - note that this poster could have counter argue the point but decided to degrade the poster>
Sorry, this getting absurd.

ListManager may have been taking the piss.

How would anyone know??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Paddy was super fit and slim last year too.
https://www.3aw.com.au/paddy-mccartin-r ... -improved/

Hopefully, he has 'arrived' as we say, but it is a song that sounds kinda familiar...but who knows.

the other thing to be cautious of is that North were light on for backmen, were they not?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
GilsAuPair
Club Player

Definitely not 'official'.

Only a full season of 40+ goals will make it official.

Until then anything could still happen and there are plenty of unknowns.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Maybe a bit premature going off one practise match, but here’s hoping.

I’ve always been a Paddy fan, and said that in a good team with good forward entries he’d do very well, 50+ goals a season.

It is a worry if it’s taken this long for it to ‘click’ for him / get fit, this is a highly professional sport, they should be ‘clicking’ day one.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Gordon Fode
Mark Scott
Daniel Wulf for a half v Geelong in 2002 (the comeback from 38 points down...)

Seen my share of false dawns. Let's wait.

...having said that I was genuinely excited by what I saw yesterday.
Last edited by evertonfc on Sun 03 Mar 2019 4:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

He looked good.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: It's official......Paddy has shown how he can make it

No having a go at posters, eh? Well I intend to!

Hey SH, where do you get off??? Trying to pinch my title as being 'probably Paddy's biggest knocker'??? :P

I actually agree with your observations though. :)

What I'd add: Given the practice match status, and given that Nuff Nuff were missing their usual key defenders, personally, I'd change your conclusion slightly...
It's official......Paddy has shown how he can make it

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 2:57pm Paddy was super fit and slim last year too.
He is clearly more toned and slimmer this pre-season.

Hopefully his aerobic capacity has improved too, though that is much harder to tell just from watching. But he did look reasonably mobile yesterday.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
silverhalo
Club Player

Re: It's official......Paddy has shown how he can make it

Dave McNamara wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 4:44pm

No having a go at posters, eh? Well I intend to!

Hey SH, where do you get off??? Trying to pinch my title as being 'probably Paddy's biggest knocker'??? :P

I actually agree with your observations though. :)

What I'd add: Given the practice match status, and given that Nuff Nuff were missing their usual key defenders, personally, I'd change your conclusion slightly...
It's official......Paddy has shown how he can make it
I think I need to clarify my position here; in the past, I've said numerous times that he will never make it as an AFL footballer. I'm now of the opinion that he will continue to play senior football but I'm not making any assertions about him being a champion yet, let me make that clear.

Yesterday looked very promising but I agree that one swallow doesn't make summer.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Paddy had a good game but lets calm down a bit . It was against an undermanned Roo's team in a JLT match.
In saying that it was the best I have seen him play so that is a huge positive but let wait until mid way thru this season to make that call

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 6:09pm Paddy had a good game but lets calm down a bit . It was against an undermanned Roo's team in a JLT match.
In saying that it was the best I have seen him play so that is a huge positive but let wait until mid way thru this season to make that call
Not as undermanned as our team and we put them away in 2nd gear :shock: 8-) :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

According to some fans, Paddy’s biggest knocker when he was unfit and overweight was perhaps his left one?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 2:46pm

You have no idea!

Sorry, this getting absurd.

ListManager may have been taking the piss.

How would anyone know??
Pretty much...the fuhrer is effectively putting words in the mouths of posters nowdays, just to rack up the bans. Wasn't all that long ago it was virtually impossible to be banned on here!

guitars4
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 6:09pm Paddy had a good game but lets calm down a bit . It was against an undermanned Roo's team in a JLT match.
Could not agree more yes he had a reasonable game & look's slimmer & fitter & I'm really happy for him but it's a pre season comp. There's a long season ahead one swallow doesn't make a summer. :wink:

axcellence
Club Player

I hope Paddy comes good and the game is a good sign.

But, if you remember, Paddy looked like he had arrived vs the Blues in a pre season game last year.

stkfc1
Club Player

Yes it was only a JLT match but we saw what we want to see from Paddy.
He presented well.
He got around the ground to provide a target.
He hit packs hard
2nd and 3rd efforts
Nice clean diposals which showed us his footy smarts
Kicked some sausage rolls.

It will do his confidence the world of good and that boy needs all the confidence he can get. I want him to get a strut about him and play mean. The new rules are going to play (the ball) right into his (hands) lap.

We have the makings of a very, very good forward line with lots of combinations at play. Paddy Bruce Marshall King Skunk Gresh Long Kent Parker Sincs Lonie Billings Newnes and Acres can all go through there and even Steven can rest up there and snag a few. Then throw a Carlise up there if needed. We really have an embarrassment of riches if these guys get it together and small steps like yesterday gives us the confidence to unlock this groups potential, which I think could be massive.

Oh I do love how the start of a new season gives you a fresh sense of hope..Go Saints!!

SMS
Club Player

You have no idea!

banned for that?
the PC ridiculousness of this world we now live in means theres no cchallenges or naughty words between people. live in a fake la la land where eventually an explosion happens dues to build up furry bunnies in the ass

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 11:21pm

You have no idea!

banned for that?
the PC ridiculousness of this world we now live in means theres no cchallenges or naughty words between people. live in a fake la la land where eventually an explosion happens dues to build up furry bunnies in the ass
Pretty easy to stay out of trouble.

Comment on the post all you want but don't comment negatively on the poster.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 2:57pm Paddy was super fit and slim last year too.
https://www.3aw.com.au/paddy-mccartin-r ... -improved/

Hopefully, he has 'arrived' as we say, but it is a song that sounds kinda familiar...but who knows.

the other thing to be cautious of is that North were light on for backmen, were they not?
They were exceedingly light on for backmen. Mason Wood was playing down there. No Daw or Tarrant for a start ...

But good on Paddy for at least showing something. You can only beat who's there on the day.

Go you red, black & white warriors