JLT1 Match Thread - Saints v Kangas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: JLT1 Match Thread - Saints v Kangas

Haven't seen one second of it yet. Hopefully will be replayed on Fox. Certainly was a pleasant surprise to see the scores though, then read the reviews on here.

What is it about footy results (regardless of whether it's a meaningless practice match) that can automatically put a smile or a frown on your face?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saintbrat wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 8:03pm
Toy Saint wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 7:43pm Who is Wilke and where did he come from?
PLAYER BIO
Wilkie was selected by St Kilda with pick No. 3 in the 2018 NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

The 22-year starred for North Adelaide in 2018 as an intercept defender, clinching the club’s best and fairest award and helping the Roosters win the SANFL premiership.

The former accountant is an elite kick and will add depth to the Saints’ experienced back half.
If all else becomes slow he could help out in accounts.
:lol:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigDazzaB wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 7:40pm Mongrel Punt review up

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/03/ ... tsnorthjlt

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never once mentioned the best player on the ground...for the saints.

damienc
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 4:36pm Saints for the 8! 🤣

Good first up start by the boys overall.

Great to have Roberton, Bruce and Newnes fit again. Parker, Hind and Kent are good pick ups.
Based on what? A pre season practice game. Let's get the real season started before you start making those kinds of predictions even though I hope you are right.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Are Kent and Skunk twins?

Let’s call Kent BOS (Brother Of Skunk!)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 4:07pm
prwilkinson wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 4:02pm Nice start to the year
Feels like forever since we saw a pre-season win...does wonders for confidence and membership, so nice to see the club taking it seriously.
We 'won' the JLT in 2016 I think it was.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 2:26pm One of the best quarters I have seen for quite a while. Pity the scoreboard isn't working.
Not getting over excited as it is a practice match, but it is much better than I anticipated.
Mind you winning this is much more important for us than North.
North are well known for taking pre-season games and the old night series very, very seriously indeed. They desperately need momentum early for memberships and play as close to full strength as they can, trying to win everything they can. I know this sounds obvious, but not all sides do take these games seriously - Sydney is an example of those that don't.
I reckon North went all out to win today, but we outplayed them, despite them beating us in all the match stats, except the one that mattered.
I was very happy with the second quarter today, and I liked our ability to overrun them in the end too. I think we rope-a-doped them in the heat. Well played.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The_President
Club Player

Did Gresh play more through the middle?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

The_President wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 11:21pm Did Gresh play more through the middle?
Yes. I reckon he might have spent the first quarter on the pine, not sighted at all. But after that seemed to bob up all over the place.

Billings not so much though - he seemed to be parked in the front half most of the afternoon.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I enjoyed watching yesterday's effort, a few positives were there in my opinion. Great to see Roberton and Bruce back. Roberton didn't miss a beat.
Loved the endeavour and effort by Newnes. In that heat he kept on running, both ways, willing himself to position. All stuff he lacked last year, obviously fit and injury free.
Enjoyed Paddy's game, 2nd and 3rd efforts. Is a lovely field kick. Just wish he'd keep his feet when the ball is on the ground and not lead with his head.
Our big forwards need to separate more, either direction wise or leading. Quite often they drew their defenders on top of each other.
Enjoyed the rotation of Gresham, Billings, Sinclair inside forward 50 through the centre.
Hunter Clark looks a natural mid, worked well with Newnes from the wing.
Steele was very very good, an on field leader who lifts players.
I liked Parker's attack and the games of Hind and Kent as first gamers for the Saints.
Disappointed Pierce got knocked out, we need a centre bounce presence and contest but the mids adjusted well.
Seb cruised and unfortunately his disposal reflected it, still sloppy when not under pressure.
Dunstan was disappointing, was not able to impact as often as he should.
Joyce did well and showed improvement.
Membrey was solid as usual, just depends on whether his goal kicking is on to lift him to exceptional.
For a first hit out plus the heat l will ignore some of the times our handballs and kicks missed targets or went to the feet of players but this was an issue last year and really puts us under pressure when there's no need.
Forgot to mention Battle, will be OK down there but needs more exposure and work. He certainly shows effort.
Can see spots for Marshall and Coffield in our set up.
Very good first hit out, look forward to Hannerbury and Acres adding to our structures.
Last edited by Ghost Like on Sun 03 Mar 2019 8:12am, edited 1 time in total.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 5:05pm :D

thats nice

a happy read
(after a couple of personally shitty days)

go us
You ok?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 9:03pm Haven't seen one second of it yet. Hopefully will be replayed on Fox. Certainly was a pleasant surprise to see the scores though, then read the reviews on here.

What is it about footy results (regardless of whether it's a meaningless practice match) that can automatically put a smile or a frown on your face?
Tuesday 11.30 am (and then Wednesday 4.30 pm
https://www.foxtel.com.au/tv-guide/JLT- ... /102032593

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 7:49am I enjoyed watching yesterday's effort, a few positives were there in my opinion. Great to see Roberton and Bruce back. Roberton didn't miss a beat.
Loved the endeavour and effort by Newnes. In that heat he kept on running, both ways, willing himself to position. All stuff he lacked last year, obviously fit and injury free.
Enjoyed Paddy's game, 2nd and 3rd efforts. Is a lovely field kick. Just wish he'd keep his feet when the ball is on the ground and not lead with his head.
Our big forwards need to separate more, either direction wise or leading. Quite often they drew their defenders on top of each other.
Enjoyed the rotation of Gresham, Billings, Sinclair inside forward 50 through the centre.
Hunter Clark looks a natural mid, worked well with Newnes from the wing.
Steele was very very good, an on field leader who lifts players.
I liked Parker's attack and the games of Hind and Kent as first gamers for the Saints.
Disappointed Pierce got knocked out, we need a centre bounce presence and contest but the mids adjusted well.
Seb cruised and unfortunately his disposal reflected it, still sloppy when not under pressure.
Dunstan was disappointing, was not able to impact as often as he should.
Joyce did well and showed improvement.
Membrey was solid as usual, just depends on whether his goal kicking is on to lift him to exceptional.
For a first hit out plus the heat l will ignore some of the times our handballs and kicks missed targets or went to the feet of players but this was an issue last year and really puts us under pressure when there's no need.
Forgot to mention Battle, will be OK down there but needs more exposure and work. He certainly shows effort.
Can see spots for Marshall and Coffield in our set up.
Very good first hit out, look forward to Hannerbury and Acres adding to our structures.

+1

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 10:10pm Are Kent and Skunk twins?

Let’s call Kent BOS (Brother Of Skunk!)
Mini Membrey

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 7:25am
The_President wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 11:21pm Did Gresh play more through the middle?
Yes. I reckon he might have spent the first quarter on the pine, not sighted at all. But after that seemed to bob up all over the place.

Billings not so much though - he seemed to be parked in the front half most of the afternoon.
Gresh played most of the first. Seemed to be tracking the ball along the corridor just outside the play, crossing at half forward and half back to enter the play. Its not his strength but it is the right direction for him in this squad. Needs to become an outside mid who can run both ways. He ran well but the challenge will be building the tank to run to the right spots. Was popping up all over the ground. Promising effort.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Is it just me, or is Clark a little taller than he was last year?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
asiu
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 8:09am
asiu wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 5:05pm :D

thats nice

a happy read
(after a couple of personally shitty days)

go us
You ok?

thank you Community

absolutely ok here

i was just blowing off steam
after an incident that rattled my cage bigtime

i’m a bit if a lightening rod for lunatics in real life
and this one was/is good

god bless the loyal opposition ay

even the puppets of the dark have their story
and their right to be

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I reckon they’ve got that about right. Billings a match winning half forward when he is on and Gresh too big a talent to be pigeonholed as a small forward.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

For me Steele looks like he is moving towards elite and I love it
McCartin was good but went missing in the third quarter and when we were struggling to get the ball out of back half against the wind I was wishing he would come up to take a mark or be a target on our defensive 50. He played 80% of the game so must of been holding back up forward.
Great to have Robbo back
Not that he was bad I was hoping Clark would be more prolific after a lot of hype and a prolific intra club
Parker and Kent are dangerous and will hopefully round out our forward line out nicely
Dunstan was disappointing, really want him to elevate his game
I was impressed with our ball use, yes some turn overs but we moved it much quicker than last year. I was also impressed with our pressure. Yes it was a practice match but so was last years JLT match against Carlton and that like our season was putrid. So here’s hoping we can genuinely move forward this season.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Billings did a lot more running than he has been credited with. He is just more inclined to stay in space and recieve from the outside. His forward play is classic medium forward rather than small forward and stands out.

What was most encouraging was that Billings, Steele, Gresham and Phillips all kicked goals while running in the midfield.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Well we cerainly looked quick.
Really harried North at times and seemed to get good spread.
Hinds is very quick and a lightning change if direction.
Hopefully gets some early games because he seems possess some attributes that would have opposition teams sweating.

Nee!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 11:27am For me Steele looks like he is moving towards elite and I love it
He already is.

The media just hasn't noticed it yet.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Barret will take credit for Steele turning A grade.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Purely based on the stats' and hearing some radio coverage...
https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/jlt ... nmfc-v-stk

- Despite no rucks, squared the clearances. What was that about the importance of having a ruckman winning a few taps again...? :wink:
- Sure, they had heaps more of the footy, but way more handballs c/f kicks. (We were the opposite.) That suggests we pressured them well.
- We scored significantly from turnovers. See the point above.
- From 43 inside 50's, we took 17 marks. (Whilst conceding only 11 from their 58 inside 50's.) And all that was with Bruce being pulled from the forwardline to prop up the rucking around the ground, and ditto Battle re our defence. And strangely/perplexingly, no Marshall.
- Paddy started well. (Did he tire though?)
- More goals than points. And our score topped the ton.
- Ridiculous conditions to be playing footy!!! (At the very least, why aren't these matches all being held at night???) Yet, we seemed to run out the game well.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

degruch wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 2:37pm
GilsAuPair wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 2:26pm What has changed since Good Friday 2018?

B Ratten come on down.
Erm...maybe...but there's be probably 30 personnel changes both on and off-field from that game.
What's changed/credit to...
Alfred E Neuman...?
Probably 30 (other) personnel changes...?

Missing the point IMHO. We need to look at what's changed since 12.02am Friday September 4th, 2018. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: